DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

laptop only DJ's

DJRemix8x3 4:51 PM - 31 May, 2011
Fellow DJ's

I just have to see if it is just me out here that has a problem with this. I DJ at a club that have 4 different DJ's in rotation. Out of these 4 DJ's I am the only one who uses a real DJ format. What I mean by that. You are either spinning Technics or CDJ's. brand not a factor. The other 3 use just a laptop and whatever DJ program that is used to fade in/out music. Now I don't want to offend anybody especially my fellow DJ's, but is this DJaying????

Many of the customers complain about the other DJ's mainly bouncing all over the place with their music selection, and not being able to blend songs together to keep the flow going. It's funny cuz we all get paid the same to do the same job.

I am really saying cuz as soon as I walk over to the DJ booth at the clubs around here to give the DJ their props all I see is a laptop. The sad thing is he thinks he is really jammin. I don't disrespect any DJ at their spot. I just give them some dap, and tell them to do your thang. The I lean over to wifey, and tell her he is a laptop DJ. Now is this what DJaying has come to? I have been spinning (Technics) for over 20 years, and I treat it very seriously not an easy way to make money. Now that we are digital now it irks me to walk into a club and see that.

DJ's What is your opinion on this??

Well I am through venting, and welcome all responses. I am just putting this out there. PEACE!!

Keep on spinnin!!

DJRemix
DJ ENUF 5:11 PM - 31 May, 2011
Welcome to 2011.
DJ Garebear 5:19 PM - 31 May, 2011
Me personally I started out being a CDJ DJ, I had two denons and I was ready to go, no HUD or anything. But as I grew to take DJing more seriously my CDJs couldn't keep up with me (they wouldn't even accept MP3 cds) because I would usually have to burn 4+ cds before every gig to have an updated library. BEFORE YOU JUDGE ME READ ON...I did not become the traditional laptop DJ though, I merely used a format that actually other big time DJs use (a la Deadmau5). I am currently an Ableton DJ, I have a Launchpad and keyboard set with micros and everything in order to accommodate what I need. I still carry my CDJs to gigs incase if I feel like switching over to them, or if I merely get bored on the buttons. But I'm also doing this temporarily until I can afford upgrading to the Pioneer 800 or 1000 class.

So I guess you can call me a laptop DJ, I don't exactly know how you would categorize someone that uses Ableton because its completely different than using VDJ (which is what I'm assuming all laptop DJs have)
DJ Garebear 5:21 PM - 31 May, 2011
Also as a side note all of my sessions on my soundcloud are from me using Ableton so as you can see I actually manage to keep songs intact rather than bullshitting the transitions...now that was something I learned to always avoid within the first few days of me starting
DJRemix8x3 5:29 PM - 31 May, 2011
Thanks. DJ Garebare.

I am not here to judge. When I was spinning in the midwest all the DJ's I rolled with used vinyl, and we use to battle in each others basement. That was my way of keeping my skills up. I am not familar with Abelton, so I can knock it. I feel you on the bullshitting of transitions. The guys that I DJ with use some generic program, and have no clue on how to blend.

Just to throw this at you keep it real, and don't give up on your CDJ's...

Thanks for the welcome DJ Enuf. lol

I guess I am just ol school. lol

PEACE!! Fellas
Tocayo 5:34 PM - 31 May, 2011
I think for some it can be a more convenient alternative, rather than carrying lots of stuff, or CD's they have just a laptop and more musc than they can carry, all in one little box.

I am like you though, I don't think I would be comfortable with just a laptop myself and much prefer the turtables. I only just moved for 1210's to V7's and can't bare to part with all my vinyl.

I guess at the end of the night it's just a quick, click of the lid and home.
I think if I was listening to someone on just a laptop, it wouldn't bother me though if the were playing good music and good mixing.
sixxx 5:39 PM - 31 May, 2011
A lot of DJ's nowadays come to a club with "set" already done. There is no freestyling and no thinking involved. Unless of course, they get burned by another DJ who played their songs and now they don't know what to do but play whatever they have.

A good DJ will be versatile. I say, you still have to blend to keep a flow of some sort. And even if you don't blend, you can still manage to keep the flow of music.
DjWoody 5:41 PM - 31 May, 2011
Quote:
A lot of DJ's nowadays come to a club with "set" already done. There is no freestyling and no thinking involved. Unless of course, they get burned by another DJ who played their songs and now they don't know what to do but play whatever they have.

A good DJ will be versatile. I say, you still have to blend to keep a flow of some sort. And even if you don't blend, you can still manage to keep the flow of music.

Spot on!
DJRemix8x3 5:46 PM - 31 May, 2011
Thanks Tacayo.

I still have my 1200's I have had for years now. I have crates of vinyl that I do plan on sifting throuhg, and pull what I think may be worth something in about 20 years. lol

I am just use to judging a DJ on his skills as well as the music he plays.

Sixxx. I never do a set already pre-programmed. You never know what your crowd is going to be, or what they eant to hear. I prefer freestying it. It keeps me on my toes. Usually I put a mix that I would have never thought of by doing it on the fly.

PEACE!! Thanks for your comments.
DjWoody 5:47 PM - 31 May, 2011
Quote:
I think for some it can be a more convenient alternative, rather than carrying lots of stuff, or CD's they have just a laptop and more musc than they can carry, all in one little box.

I love it when friends call me and ask me to replace their laptop hardrives with bigger ones. I ask them "Why do you wanna replace it? They almost always say "So I can carry MORE music." ha! Than I tell them... "WHY? If you're gonna play the same shit anyways?" LMAO!!! Their silence is priceless! hahaha
sixxx 5:48 PM - 31 May, 2011
Quote:
Sixxx. I never do a set already pre-programmed. You never know what your crowd is going to be, or what they eant to hear. I prefer freestying it. It keeps me on my toes. Usually I put a mix that I would have never thought of by doing it on the fly.

I was saying in general. I do the same thing. Freestyle all the way.
DJRemix8x3 5:51 PM - 31 May, 2011
LMAO!! @ DJWoody!! So what not get an external harddrive. lol

PEACE!!!
DJ ENUF 5:51 PM - 31 May, 2011
To the op you said that you and the laptop guys all make the same amount? That means that either they are getting paid too much or your making too little. I'd start looking for a better venue to rock out in.
DJ ENUF 5:55 PM - 31 May, 2011
Im just saying cuz here in my area theres 30 bars on one block and only 3 or 4 pay out enough for the real dj's (non laptop only) to even consider it. I've been asked to play at the click and play laptop spots and when the answer to pay is $50 and a bartab I just laugh and leave/hang up.
DJ ENUF 5:59 PM - 31 May, 2011
And btw +100 on keeping it real and hanging on to vinyl. I still got 2000k plus pieces that dont do anything but sit there. Not that i can ever get rid of em!
DJ Garebear 6:02 PM - 31 May, 2011
Quote:
To the op you said that you and the laptop guys all make the same amount? That means that either they are getting paid too much or your making too little. I'd start looking for a better venue to rock out in.

+1 lol didnt notice that....yeah man I would get on that manager
DJRemix8x3 6:06 PM - 31 May, 2011
Damn good point DJ Enuf. I am schedule to perform on the 10th of June. A perfect time to ask for an increase in pay. Not for the money, but for the effort.

I found a spot on my end where this book/record store is taking vinyl, especially hip-hop. I called the place about a month ago, but haven't followed up cuz I haven't went through my stash yet. Got some MJ, Rick James, Isley Brothers ect that I will take to my grave. lol

Will
let you know how the raise wen in a couple of weeks.

PEACE!!
DJRemix8x3 6:15 PM - 31 May, 2011
As far as the club where I spin. You guys are not going to believe this story. I was actually DJ retired. Yeah I still kept the skills and the music up in the Lab (Basement) but despised doing moble gigs, and the clubs were all lame. The pay sucks, and my back was killing me. lol Plus it was wear and tear on my equipment. So wifey and I went to this local club and the DJ (Laptop only) was horrible!! No mixing, music selction all over the charts, ect.

So after seeing the dance floor empty, full, empty, fully, mostly empty. I said to the wife this it it I am coming out of retirement. I found the manager and told her I want to DJ here. She said okay, and then put me on an off night I guess to test my skills. Long story short. I blew up once again now the customers mainly come on nights I DJ. I even have a following who support me. lol

They want to put me on the rotation more but I refuse. Tell you guys about that later!! lol

Peace!!
Tocayo 6:38 PM - 31 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I love it when friends call me and ask me to replace their laptop hardrives with bigger ones. I ask them "Why do you wanna replace it? They almost always say "So I can carry MORE music." ha! Than I tell them... "WHY? If you're gonna play the same shit anyways?" LMAO!!! Their silence is priceless! hahaha

Jeez I remember going out with one box of 12's and never being short of tracks on a night but to think of the amout of songs people carry now on hard drives is mad, there is only so much you can play in 4-5 hours :)
Tocayo 6:46 PM - 31 May, 2011
Quote:
And btw +100 on keeping it real and hanging on to vinyl. I still got 2000k plus pieces that dont do anything but sit there. Not that i can ever get rid of em!

Yeah there seems that part of you that just can't give up on them :)

I still have my 1210's set up in the garage and all my vinyl racked so I can sit and chill with my mates and pull out tracks. Maybe it's just me, but you can't beat that feeling of just pulling vinyl out listening to stuff, especially stuff you had forgot about :)
DJRemix8x3 6:47 PM - 31 May, 2011
lol. It is funny you say that I have a 2tb external harddrive with 1.28 filled a lot of doubles triples ect. You are right the amount of music is mind blowing. I spin for a club that wants to hear it all. From Hip Hop to Classic Rock on some nights. So I brag trust I have it. lol When i use to DJ for this other club it was stratight Hip Hop, R&B.
Tocayo 6:49 PM - 31 May, 2011
Quote:
So after seeing the dance floor empty, full, empty, fully, mostly empty. I said to the wife this it it I am coming out of retirement.

LOL, you can never stop being a DJ, it's in your blood ;)
DJRemix8x3 6:50 PM - 31 May, 2011
I feel you on the vinyl. My wife buggs me all the time about setting on the the curb. I said "Are you crazy"!! lol. Never. Now there are a lot of 12" singles I am ready to part with. It is the full albums I won't. Wait!! 12" Planet Rock orange lable. NEVER!!!
Tocayo 6:58 PM - 31 May, 2011
Quote:
lol. It is funny you say that I have a 2tb external harddrive with 1.28 filled a lot of doubles triples ect. You are right the amount of music is mind blowing. I spin for a club that wants to hear it all. From Hip Hop to Classic Rock on some nights. So I brag trust I have it. lol When i use to DJ for this other club it was stratight Hip Hop, R&B.

Best to be polite and say, yeah I have that, i'll get it on soon and most times they won't come back, if they do, just say..damn I thought I brought that in with me cause I was just listening to it in the car and must have forgot to take it out the CD player :)

Quote:
12" Planet Rock orange lable. NEVER!!!

Now you're talking ;) I just came across a picture disc 12 of Grandmaster Flash, White Lines a couple of day's ago that I forgot I had :)
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:08 PM - 31 May, 2011
Quote:

Many of the customers complain about the other DJ's mainly bouncing all over the place with their music selection, and not being able to blend songs together to keep the flow going. It's funny cuz we all get paid the same to do the same job.

At least your customers complain, in my area it acutually damages my performances because 9 out of the 10 clubs\bars are using itunes or some kinda laptop software, so people go in these places then wander into my spot with the "Ok i want to hear britneys new song then no hands then travis porters bring it back then a drum and bass dubstep 80s rock mashup in that order" so when i tell them thats not happening they get offended of dj laptop across the street would happily put all that in a playlist and click next 4 times for her. I cant stress this enough that as much as we look down on these people the crowds are caring less and less, its becomming common place and once they are fully accepted by the crowds its gonna be that much harder to justify a reasonable salary to compete with the 2 bags of airline peantus they are getting paid.
jwagner 7:18 PM - 31 May, 2011
If you think that's bad, theres a few djs where I live that have other djs make them mixes and then play them out.

Another funny story I heard the other day is this one dj downloaded all the mashups from dj hero and was telling everyone he made them.
DJ Tecniq 7:20 PM - 31 May, 2011
Quote:
Fellow DJ's

I just have to see if it is just me out here that has a problem with this. I DJ at a club that have 4 different DJ's in rotation. Out of these 4 DJ's I am the only one who uses a real DJ format. What I mean by that. You are either spinning Technics or CDJ's. brand not a factor. The other 3 use just a laptop and whatever DJ program that is used to fade in/out music. Now I don't want to offend anybody especially my fellow DJ's, but is this DJaying????

I am really saying cuz as soon as I walk over to the DJ booth at the clubs around here to give the DJ their props all I see is a laptop. The sad thing is he thinks he is really jammin. I don't disrespect any DJ at their spot. I just give them some dap, and tell them to do your thang. The I lean over to wifey, and tell her he is a laptop DJ. Now is this what DJaying has come to? I have been spinning (Technics) for over 20 years, and I treat it very seriously not an easy way to make money. Now that we are digital now it irks me to walk into a club and see that.

DJ's What is your opinion on this??

Well I am through venting, and welcome all responses. I am just putting this out there. PEACE!!

Keep on spinnin!!

DJRemix
I completely agree with you that it is NOT real dj'ing. A real dj can atleast blend two songs together and not have a program do it for yourself. However I do think you deserve a raise bro. If you say you are all making the same pay then you are getting robbed my friend. Your putting in way more skill and effort than they are in the entire night. They are not on your level as a DJ so you deserve better. If they don't pay you more than just become a laptop only DJ. I don't know what else to say.
DJRemix8x3 7:24 PM - 31 May, 2011
See DJ-M.Bezzle. That is exactly what I am taking about!! They trying to put they are of DJaying in the closet with the vinyl records. I am doing my best to keep it alive. Most of the people I spin for are old heads who remember what a DJ really is. I do get the Britney Spears, and the Def Lepards, but again I spin for a mix crowd.

My fun is finding a hip hop or R&B track with same BPM, then I mix it in and hit em in the head with it!! They be like "Go DJ!! Go DJ!! lol
DJ Tecniq 7:28 PM - 31 May, 2011
I only say this cause I work nights with just a laptop only dj as well. But I will say this..he makes way less of money than I do. He can't rock a crowd like I can. And that's the big difference. I don't care how good you are at dragging and clicking. Nothing can beat a real dj on decks and that's just the damn truth. I can't tell u how many times I've heard from customers that im such a better dj than he is. But do I brag about it? Nahh..no need for it I let my skills do the talking.
DJRemix8x3 7:28 PM - 31 May, 2011
WOW!! @ jwanger.

I didn't know that was going on in the DJ community. LOL That is a trip. Another reason why I keep the skills up.

Thanks DJ Tecniq. #1 priorty when I see the club manager pay raise!!
DJ Garebear 7:31 PM - 31 May, 2011
Quote:
WOW!! @ jwanger.

I didn't know that was going on in the DJ community. LOL That is a trip. Another reason why I keep the skills up.

Thanks DJ Tecniq. #1 priorty when I see the club manager pay raise!!

Ohhhh Remix...do yourself a huge favor and look up DJ Blend...kid has 500k+ followers on Facebook, became a nationwide sensation simply because he made a 10 minute youtube video. Kid does nothing but play mixes when he is at clubs...probably making thousands every night
DJ Tecniq 7:35 PM - 31 May, 2011
The point is there is nothing more perfect that hearing two songs blend into one another. The cat that uses VDJ will go from a 80 bpm track to a 130..hit rewind and there u have it then next track is playin. Is that a real DJ? No that's called a poser and I'm sorry if I offended anyone but step your game up and learn how to mix two tracks together. That kind of dj'ing does not create the vibe. I can't be anymore honest about it cause it's the truth.
DJRemix8x3 7:37 PM - 31 May, 2011
To all DJ's that posted. I now see that I am not the only one with this issue. If there are any DJ's reading this post and you are a "Laptop" DJ learn how to spin... At the very least know what beats Per Minute is, and how to use it. That way you can blend 2 different tracks
DJ Garebear 7:40 PM - 31 May, 2011
Quote:
The cat that uses VDJ will go from a 80 bpm track to a 130..hit rewind and there u have it then next track is playin.

lol I can't stand that unless if I have some pre-thought up set or transition track I never make that switch up.

which reminds me of another lesson that I learned from the DJ that taught me:
-Never confuse the crowd...the second the crowd is thinking about how to dance to a switchup,transition, etc...is the second you lost them.

Which is true because how many times have you stopped dancing with a girl at the club because the song instantly changed?
DJ ENUF 7:55 PM - 31 May, 2011
Quote:
To all DJ's that posted. I now see that I am not the only one with this issue. If there are any DJ's reading this post and you are a "Laptop" DJ learn how to spin... At the very least know what beats Per Minute is, and how to use it. That way you can blend 2 different tracks

Ahh but see that implies a desire to want to learn the craft of being a dj. These yahoo's just want some fame and pussy. Thats what in my opinion differentiates the old head dj's from the new jack microwave kiddo's. It used to take LOTS of time money dedication and practice there were no shortcuts. Now just steal a copy of virtual dj, steal some tunes and your go for launch! No need to even learn to beamach just use auto-sync! If you havent seen this yet you'll lyfao!
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJRemix8x3 9:20 PM - 31 May, 2011
LMAO!!!! @ DJ ENUF!!! You took the words right out of my mouth!! I was just trying to be "Gen X correct!! lol
DJRemix8x3 9:23 PM - 31 May, 2011
To DJ Garebare. Props for learning. If you are really dedicated and into it the rest will come with time.

PEACE

DJRemix
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:28 PM - 31 May, 2011
Quote:
LMAO!!!! @ DJ ENUF!!! You took the words right out of my mouth!! I was just trying to be "Gen X correct!! lol

wasnt nothin about gen x correct
dl3.glitter-graphics.net
jwagner 9:44 PM - 31 May, 2011
The guy who downloaded all the dj hero mashups and claimed them as his own, came up to me one time and said I should mix/mashup I forgot what he said... a 80 bpm song with a 128 bpm song. I told him the tempo or "beats per minute" were different and he was like Oh I do it all the time, It doesnt really matter the bpm.

This kids been at it for 2-3 years and still doesn't grasp the concept of bpm. Its just unbelievable.
DJ Alkemy 9:52 PM - 31 May, 2011
Where Im from we have a few old school DJ's that use 2 CD players and a mixer but have some great sound systems. Now these guys been DJ'ing for years, Im talking25 plus. Their is zero mixing going on but they get on the mic, get everyone in a good mood, keep a vibe going and most of all, play great tracks. But they come from a time when it was a lot harder to get the bets tracks and they were, most of the time, introducing people to music they never heard before. People looked up to them musically. Nowadays it is so easy for DJ's to get whatever tracks they want so it is harder for you to stand out. Thats where skills kick in. I think it sucks how you can call yourself a DJ (especially if you are in a club enviroment) when all your doing is clicking buttons on a laptop and fading songs in and out. Thats garbage.
DJ Reflex 4:25 AM - 9 June, 2011
Quote:
This kids been at it for 2-3 years and still doesn't grasp the concept of bpm. Its just unbelievable.

Right! It's like when fools come up and want to hear "Yeah" - Usher when you in the middle of a house set. Uh, hello 130 BPM to 105??? Not going to work. Got to give me some transition time. AKA I am NOT going to play your song next!
DJ metaphor 5:50 AM - 9 June, 2011
To the OP I was in just about the same situation as you.

Walked into this club one night, the DJ was terrible, I couldn't see up in the booth to see what she was using, but her mixes were TERRIBLE.

So i found the manager and he booked me for 3 fridays later. I asked what kind of gear they had in the booth and he said an IDJ2. *SMH

So anyways, I show up, lugg in my turntables (the staff is already impressed because I'm carrying actual turntables) and when the club opens I had 50 of my followers already outside. The IPOD DJ was fired after that night.

Keep in mind i was talking about an IPOD, but I think the same principles still apply with strictly laptop DJs, or, the vast majority of them.

just my ramble.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:00 PM - 9 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Right! It's like when fools come up and want to hear "Yeah" - Usher when you in the middle of a house set. Uh, hello 130 BPM to 105??? Not going to work. Got to give me some transition time. AKA I am NOT going to play your song next!

to be fair there are tons of 130 to YEAH transition tracks....mabye not your thing but just sayin
DJ metaphor 5:31 PM - 9 June, 2011
Quote:
to be fair there are tons of 130 to YEAH transition tracks....mabye not your thing but just sayin

and a ton of 130 - 100 bpm transition in general.

ps: i know yeah is 105bpm
DJ Reflex 3:47 PM - 13 June, 2011
Yup, I get a few from Crooklyn Clan. This was just an example - people have no clue about transitions until you mix or find a good transition song. Then they "get it". Most just want to hear the same junk they play on the radio with no DJ skills involved. Heck, rent a juke box!
rlaci 5:32 PM - 13 June, 2011
Quote:
Yup, I get a few from Crooklyn Clan. This was just an example - people have no clue about transitions until you mix or find a good transition song. Then they "get it". Most just want to hear the same junk they play on the radio with no DJ skills involved. Heck, rent a juke box!

painfull but true
Cocotaso 4:16 PM - 4 April, 2013
As long as you rock the spot, it doesn't matter. At the end of the day the goal is to create a dope musical environment, turntables or not. I personally use turntables for comfort and familiarity, but I've heard dope sets without them. The most important element is the dj his/herself, and his/her and knowledge and experience along with their mastery of their instrument of choice.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:49 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
As long as you rock the spot, it doesn't matter. At the end of the day the goal is to create a dope musical environment, turntables or not. I personally use turntables for comfort and familiarity, but I've heard dope sets without them. The most important element is the dj his/herself, and his/her and knowledge and experience along with their mastery of their instrument of choice.

Cool story bro
Funkytownstopsix 8:17 PM - 4 April, 2013
DJRemix8x3 SAID

Quote:
Fellow DJ's
I walk over to the DJ booth at the clubs around here to give the DJ their props all I see is a laptop. The sad thing is he thinks he is really jammin.

You must know that I was confused by this part, why give props to anyone that is not jammin. Sounded like he was jammin unitl you saw that he was using a laptop. There are many dj's to can go without turntables, I started on 8 tracks and progressed with time I have had my share of turntables and those long ass milk crates. I am at the point now if you keep my head moving that I don't care what your on as long as you keep the floor packed you are doing your job.

I think people get hung up on TT too much, I use to be one them.. I know dj's that have tt and don't scratch so my point is this........ put up a blind let people mix with laptop, cdj, tt with no scratching you will not be able to tell one from the other. The only diffrince will be the DJ's playing the muisic...........It's about the music...... not what your on....
John McCullough 7:35 PM - 22 May, 2014
Quote:
Me personally I started out being a CDJ DJ, I had two denons and I was ready to go, no HUD or anything. But as I grew to take DJing more seriously my CDJs couldn't keep up with me (they wouldn't even accept MP3 cds) because I would usually have to burn 4+ cds before every gig to have an updated library. BEFORE YOU JUDGE ME READ ON...I did not become the traditional laptop DJ though, I merely used a format that actually other big time DJs use (a la Deadmau5). I am currently an Ableton DJ, I have a Launchpad and keyboard set with micros and everything in order to accommodate what I need. I still carry my CDJs to gigs incase if I feel like switching over to them, or if I merely get bored on the buttons. But I'm also doing this temporarily until I can afford upgrading to the Pioneer 800 or 1000 class.

So I guess you can call me a laptop DJ, I don't exactly know how you would categorize someone that uses Ableton because its completely different than using VDJ (which is what I'm assuming all laptop DJs have)

I'd call you a controllerist... and yes, a dj. Ableton and the launchpad is a great way to dj and can allow you to do some really cool stuff.

I just bought the launchpad and am trying to figure out what i can do with it, seems like the possibilities are endless.
D Jay Cee 12:08 AM - 29 January, 2015
this has been an interesting read. I think technology has done two things:
1. helped good DJs do better
2. given the opportunity for those with less funds and space to pursue their dream to try out DJing.

I started long ago...northside housing development.
not much money.
across the street this guy, Juan, came from New York every summer to visit his family and he would bring his entire rig. turntables, mixer, monitors. He mentored me...encouraged me.
I had no money but eventually got two used speed control cassette decks (yes, tapes!!) and a mixer from Radio shack.
upgrading to turntables made mixing SO much easier.
CDJs were awesome because I had over 300 albums in this big huge binder. (around this time I got my first residency).
I even had a Japanese unit that played mini-discs. (they were big here in Japan for a while).
now I have a Vestax VCI 400 (RIP Vestax) and will finally get that Mac I wanted this spring.
As a mobile DJ, I love having thousands of songs in nearly every genre available to me. way better than records and CDs, and now that the market is flooded with young DJs that will work close to nothing, I have no choice but to provide services to folks that listen to more than just rap/Hip-Hop and dance/electronica.
Hell, here in Japan I have had to whip out some Japanese favorites from singers like Namie Omuro and groups like Exile, rappers like K Dub Shine....on the military base, quite a few folks like Latin music and Swing
anyway, what the OP said many years ago...it is understandable. He is using his turntables as an art form to express himself and get paid at the same time. I am sure traditional painters feel the same about computers. but it needs to be accepted that the future is here....take your great skills and move with the technology, don't use it to bash folks who already have embraced it.
DJ Razza Entertainment 5:26 AM - 27 September, 2017
I got back into DJing a few years back & started out as a "Laptop Only" type of DJ, but felt like I was cheating... Was using Windows Media Player with a crossfade setup... Yeah it sounded good and everyone enjoyed what I did, but it was pretty much a set and forget sort of deal... I eventually got into mixing with a controller a couple of years later... started out with a 2nd hand DDJ-SB & recently moved up to a brand new DDJ-SX2 & haven't looked back since. Best decision I ever made. However I'm not knocking the laptop only crowd, as you're still programming your sets regardless, so it does still take some work, but it's not as hard as using a controller/CDJ/mixer...