DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Looks like I'll be stepping down from my residency soon

Dj-M.Bezzle 6:57 PM - 28 May, 2011
Well last night after i get done spinning my boss pulls me to the side and tells me that shes made enough doe off the club thats shes bought into\been handed (not sure which) ownership in the fancy restraunt below the lounge i spin at. To thank me she let me know that Im a great DJ and she thinks I can handle the coming changes. She then explains to me that basically everything is gonna change, instead of having a club focus she wants to incorporate the lounge into the restraunt and encourage its patrons to come upstairs after their meal....so to do this my hours change from 10pm to 3am, to 6pm to 11pm and that instead of spinning any hip-hop or EDM (the only 2 genres i have music for/spin/enjoy/was hired to play) she wants easy listening, NPR stye music non-mixed with crowd interaction between and during each song, so basically she wants me to create a real world version of what i envision hell to be like. I told her id give it a shot and asked when she was making this transition and she was nice enough to let me know ill need to make this transition TODAY! I tried logging into the NPR station to see what id be playing and i couldnt make it through one song, it was borring and horrible. This really sucks because I we built a nice following of younger people who were getting there religiously at midnight and now not only will that be when im stopping but im unable to play the music that them and myself enjoy so im basically supposed to lose any following ive built.

Im kinda at a crossroads because I would love to learn this genre as it would kinda open up the mobile world a bit more to me and its a challenge as a DJ, I spoke to one of my DJ buddys and they thought it would be awsome because it would be 0 work but getting paid, and ive def become used to the steady extra income on the weekends.....but to me nothing about this sounds fun and it acutually sounds like more work than i care to do because i would be learning a whole new genre and building a new library from scratch all for music i dont care for at all. This change isnt going to help my brand at all or further my career on the path im attempting to follow. Now she did say that in the future she wanted to bring back the club atmosphere as a transition to her new core clientele and said that she really envisions it as having a band play the early set then have me DJ later for the club atmosphere......I really dont see any of that working out because what ive seen since working there is that your gonna lose one crowd or the other, if im playing music for the older people the young people who will stay past 10 dont come and if i play young music the old people get pissy.

Im really not sure how to handle the ins and outs of it...not sure if i should just ride it as long as i can and stack some $$ and see where it goes or just say look this isnt me sorry but im out. Id hate to just quit because this place has always had my back on things and id hate to leave them in a hard place but the more i look into this the more it just dosent seem on my playing field, i dont even know what the "NPR" genre is called...easy listening mabye? Diner music? Any thoughts, opinions and advice are welcome here (......EVEN SMART ASS REMARKS LOL!!!!!), possibly some pools i can look into for this crap because building a library from scratch on a pay per track level would be crazy expensive
O.B.1 7:27 PM - 28 May, 2011
I'm sure you've thought of this already, but what are your chances of getting a spot at the "real" club downstairs or next door (wherever)?
I agree it certainly may be a learning experience but actually it would be alot of work digging through crappy music that your heart isn't into, but could definitely generate future income in the mobile (wedding) field.
I'd at least try it out, but then be honest with them if it isn't working for you.
I understand about your "brand" and you don't want to get labled as the wedding "cheese" guy!

-seems like an itunes playlist could do the job though... just sayin'
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:39 PM - 28 May, 2011
Quote:
I'm sure you've thought of this already, but what are your chances of getting a spot at the "real" club downstairs or next door (wherever)?
I agree it certainly may be a learning experience but actually it would be alot of work digging through crappy music that your heart isn't into, but could definitely generate future income in the mobile (wedding) field.
I'd at least try it out, but then be honest with them if it isn't working for you.
I understand about your "brand" and you don't want to get labled as the wedding "cheese" guy!

-seems like an itunes playlist could do the job though... just sayin'

Ya thats pretty much what i was thinking, i told her straight up id try my best but if it wasnt working for me this isnt my primary job and ill be the 1st one trying to find a replacement for myself. Ive had other offers to do guest spots at real clubs but they are all out of town so its kind of a double edge sword, especially with gas prices and hour drive would be killer.

What im gonna try to do today is either just run some pandora or a playlist of random ish and see what she says, hell if i can get paid to sit there and click next on itunes then it wouldnt be a bad gig till i find a suitable replacment lol
jwagner 7:52 PM - 28 May, 2011
Sometimes less work is more taxing on you mentally. I did a charity event one time and the guy said to just bring a laptop, but I ended up bringing the turntables and mixer too, because I'd be bored out of my mind just pointing and clicking.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:13 PM - 28 May, 2011
Quote:
Sometimes less work is more taxing on you mentally. I did a charity event one time and the guy said to just bring a laptop, but I ended up bringing the turntables and mixer too, because I'd be bored out of my mind just pointing and clicking.

very true, only problem is the music she wants seems borring even if you mix it lol
CMOS 8:16 PM - 28 May, 2011
Grow a pair and walk from this nightmare, the only thing it's done for you in the time you've been there is give you shit to write about on here.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:28 PM - 28 May, 2011
Quote:
, the only thing it's done for you in the time you've been there is give you shit to write about on here.

true......priceless in itself lol
Mike_P 8:56 PM - 28 May, 2011
i know this wont work for everyone but whenever i'm banned from playing hip hop i play strictly the breaks that hip hop songs have sampled. soul, funk, jazz, and EVERYBODY enjoys it. the younger people cause they recognize the break and the older people because it's their generation and they have no idea that the song was sampled to make pee pee, poo poo, ca ca music.
dj poisonous handz 9:22 PM - 28 May, 2011
dont be a jukebox bro.no matter how they sugarcoat it,its still a smack in the face.cut your ties and start browsing for another spot.same sh&t happened to me and i told them to blow it out their ass!
dj_soo 9:32 PM - 28 May, 2011
i would just mix good downtempo and ignore her protestations about not mixing and npr bullshit - I have a few loungey downtempo gigs and they're actually pretty fun cause I get to play all this great music that I never get to play out...

If she bitches like it sounds like she will, no harm done and you still get a paycheck for a couple more weeks.
DJ Tecniq 10:20 PM - 28 May, 2011
I say do it bro and stack cash while you can till u can't deal with it anymore. you either A. Create a playlist, go from that and do no mixing whatsoever and get drunk! or B. Like said above..ignore the dinner party music and play what you know would work..Like some 70's, 80's 90's shit (which is basically easy listening). I have a feeling not only you but the dinner crowd will get bored of the music. It's tuff though cause she's apparently wanting you to interact with the crowd as well..She's completely "branding" you to do things other than just dj like being a dinner host. If that want that then she needs to hire a host and u just play the music. Personally I would not do it myself cause I just couldn't entertain a dinner party with easy listening bullshit. But if the moneys right I'd be willing to atleast try. Good luck and let us know how it turns out
DJ Tecniq 10:25 PM - 28 May, 2011
And bro if she wants that then tell her to look up a internet station called pandora and just stream it through the restaurant sound system. There's no need for a dj in this situation she's asking..if anything it's a host is what it boils down to. Sounds like she's wanting to create like some fucking dinner theatre or something and have u entertain everyone. I have a feeling it will fail on her part.
jwagner 10:32 PM - 28 May, 2011
yeah when a dj says that it doesn't require a dj, you know its a bad situation.
Chrisjin 11:43 PM - 28 May, 2011
I would do it for a few weeks to get an experience of something new and then split if it isnt to your liking. Sounds to me you have established yourself with the owner and workers so severing ties on a bad note may not be felicitous. Who knows it may open doors for you personally and financially.
jwagner 12:04 AM - 29 May, 2011
I'd continue doing it until you find another gig, then quit.
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:52 AM - 29 May, 2011
Ok just showed up to the club to find the dancefloor has been remodeled and is now 100% covered.with tables which are not to be moved...fml
dj poisonous handz 12:53 AM - 29 May, 2011
ooof
DJ Tecniq 2:02 AM - 29 May, 2011
Quote:
Ok just showed up to the club to find the dancefloor has been remodeled and is now 100% covered.with tables which are not to be moved...fml
damn sounds like a shitty situation. Just do the best you can. I'm at my gig right now and we got a foam party outside on the patio..wish you were in my shoes for your sake. Just rock that gig and show them what you are made of. If it doesn't work out then walk homie. The only way to go is up. So keep lookin for better gigs.
Mike_P 2:16 AM - 29 May, 2011
Welcome to the longest gig of your life. Pull up a chair.
DJ Nin 2:21 AM - 29 May, 2011
I would bounce.

I know that money is cool and everything, but if you have no interest or desire to play the music the owner now wants I just don't see any way you could enjoy this gig anymore.

I would just let her know that this just isn't for you. Thank her for the opportunity, leave on good terms, and then get back to the grind.

Keep it moving son.
DJ metaphor 3:21 AM - 29 May, 2011
I did a dinner party last year. actually it was EXACTLY 1 year ago. Just download all of the jazz music that you can find.. that really sounds like what you need.

in my case, my parents had like. 9 crates worth of jazz vinyl, some whern't in good shape. but it was really sweet stuff. and i mixed that all night. The client was REALLY happy.
str8nger 3:44 AM - 29 May, 2011
honestly stick to the music you like man if thats not your cup of tea fuck it and move one homie, people ask me to play some shit i don't even have in my crates i don't do gigs that want that im not that dj.
room213 4:22 AM - 29 May, 2011
I know this might sound weird, but what does NPR stand for? I'm not American ;)
Mike_P 5:07 AM - 29 May, 2011
national public radio
FunkyRob 6:48 AM - 29 May, 2011
people will eat and leave, not want to hang out and listen to boring music. They will eat and then go out to another club. After a while, owner should realize it's not working.

I say stick around.
Dj Bacik 7:17 AM - 29 May, 2011
Forget all that jazz (pun intended). I would bounce if I'm not playing or doing anything I like. If you stick around you might as well put on a monkey costume and bang some cymbals while going from table to table.
dj poisonous handz 2:35 PM - 29 May, 2011
Quote:
Forget all that jazz (pun intended). I would bounce if I'm not playing or doing anything I like. If you stick around you might as well put on a monkey costume and bang some cymbals while going from table to table.

lmaoooo
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:59 PM - 29 May, 2011
Ok so heres the update, i show up last night and there are tables covering the dancefloor, i set up then literally sat there for at least 15 minutes thinking what the fuck am i supposed to do with this shit so i decided i just needed to find a way to make it through the night and odds are shell see im not the person for this or this wont work. So i threw on a jazz mixtape from dj sooo grabbed the mic and proceeded to get shitfaced at the bar cracking jokes for about 2 hours kinda makin fun of the situation, shit like "welcome to ultra lounge 2.0 where there will NEVER be a line at the bar....or the bathrooms....or the door". So after about 2 hours of this (gotta love jazz music because you can play 2 songs for 3 hours an noone will notice) the boss calls me into the back. Im thinkng this is a percfect chance, when she gets onto me for not doin anything itll be my chance to say im out........ya she LOVED what i was doing and said the guests were cracking up and she has no problem with me playing mixes and just being there in case a party spontaniously brreaks out. So around 10 the staff let me know that the club next door opened and they wanted me to cut the jazz shit and do my normal show. So i just started spinnin club shit, then i called over 2 hot chicks and told them to walk up to some guys and tell them they really wanted to dance but the tables in the way....5 minutes later the tables were gone and they stayed gone since the customer is always right lol. After that it was busniess as usual. Im gonna ride it out for a bit as i still get to do my late night thing and got a raise for doin the extra 0 work. But im def keeping an eye out for the emergency exit.
Mike_P 5:10 PM - 29 May, 2011
im calling BS. NO WAY you know two hot chicks. lol jk
O.B.1 5:32 PM - 29 May, 2011
you better split that raise with dj soo...
lmao
dj_soo 5:54 PM - 29 May, 2011
So where's my cut?
Dj Shamann 7:16 PM - 29 May, 2011
HAHA
deejayosa 8:08 PM - 29 May, 2011
Dude,

Walk away from the situation. Your heart is not into that genre of music. We DJ out of passion, because we love the music we play. If you do not like the music you spin eventually you are gonna grow to hate the whole scene altogether. Starts to become like a 9-5 at a retail job. That is not my cup of tea.

Happiness over money anytime.
Papa Midnight 9:56 PM - 29 May, 2011
Quote:
So i threw on a jazz mixtape from dj sooo...

Quote:
you better split that raise with dj soo...
lmao

Quote:
So where's my cut?

Man's comin' to collect! Haha!
djdragon 3:49 AM - 30 May, 2011
Quote:
So where's my cut?

He's a short drive from me. Just let me know when you want me to collect.
DJ metaphor 7:12 AM - 30 May, 2011
Quote:
He's a short drive from me. Just let me know when you want me to collect.

of course your services would include compensation out of the collection, right!?
DJ_'Ready-Made'_Ren 7:29 AM - 30 May, 2011
lol. this thread just gets funnier. Good on ya Bezzle. Glad to see it seems to be working out.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:03 PM - 30 May, 2011
Quote:
lol. this thread just gets funnier.

its a bezzle thread of course it is lol i dont dissappoint
DjPolarCa 8:34 PM - 5 August, 2011
Just digging through some of my tracked threads to get rid of a few, was gonna stop tracking this one. But then re-read it and kinda wanna know how the whole show is going now a couple months later....
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:39 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
Just digging through some of my tracked threads to get rid of a few, was gonna stop tracking this one. But then re-read it and kinda wanna know how the whole show is going now a couple months later....

acutually nothing ended up changing, the idea fell through, basically to recap, the idea was they wanted to change it to more of a dinner theme thing and push to get customers from the restraunt to eat and party upstairs early then shut down early so id start at like 6 then get off at like 11 playing dinner music....well it turns out most people were fine eating downstairs and didnt want to go to a seperate area, people also dont need a DJ while they are eating because none was going to be dancing (its a nice place) so i was just playing background music which a radio could have done, then noone was really comming up there but tons of people were still comming in after midnight so it turned into me being there from 6pm to 4 am and getting paid double just to sit at the bar and drink from 6 to 10 pm.

Not sure if any plans are still inthe works butit didnt exactly go well durring this run.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:40 PM - 5 August, 2011
I think the idea would have been sound if mobile had ANY kind of interest in any music beside thug and radio....when those are the only 2 things people want to hear you cant really use it as a lure to do something different
DjPolarCa 8:43 PM - 5 August, 2011
Cool, the people have spoken in favor of the party! Keep it up and maybe they'll ask you next time as to what sort of changes could be done without totally confusing the masses.
dj_soo 8:52 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
getting paid double just to sit at the bar and drink from 6 to 10 pm.

don't you mean you were getting paid double to sit and drink while *I* entertained the dinner-goers?
DJ Dac 9:02 PM - 5 August, 2011
welcome to the life of a mobile dj... 2-3 hours of suck for hopefully 2-3 hours of fun
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:03 PM - 5 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
getting paid double just to sit at the bar and drink from 6 to 10 pm.

don't you mean you were getting paid double to sit and drink while *I* entertained the dinner-goers?

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..you killed it to!
DJ Dac 9:08 PM - 5 August, 2011
you know Soo, you could make a couple mixed sets and sell those bad boys, i know i would pay for some more of them. It makes handling the dinner hour way easier and im pretty sure about 80% of the guys on here have snagged and used a mix or two of yours...
dj_soo 9:17 PM - 5 August, 2011
I've never really liked the idea of selling mixes when I don't have the licenses to any of the tunes I use...

Just give me credit and send anyone who asks to my website and I'm happy. I usually make one of those mixes a year cause it makes a great gift for xmas time to the older generation...
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:44 PM - 2 September, 2011
Quote:
Cool, the people have spoken in favor of the party! Keep it up and maybe they'll ask you next time as to what sort of changes could be done without totally confusing the masses.

looks like the people voice has been overruled, apparently they had an owner\managment meeting and decided the restraunt comes first, theyll be closing at 11 now so no more club nights there. Im still the official DJ for in house partys when they are scheduled but besides that it aint lookin good for the home team (aka team bank account lol) time to get back on my huslte and grind up soemthing new. Kinda hyped though cause this is gona force me to branch out and find some new avenues, im nervous but kinda excited.
reggae delgado 9:52 PM - 2 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

looks like the people voice has been overruled, apparently they had an owner\managment meeting and decided the restraunt comes first, theyll be closing at 11 now so no more club nights there. Im still the official DJ for in house partys when they are scheduled but besides that it aint lookin good for the home team (aka team bank account lol) time to get back on my huslte and grind up soemthing new. Kinda hyped though cause this is gona force me to branch out and find some new avenues, im nervous but kinda excited.

That's the right attitude to have! Good luck!
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:04 PM - 2 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's the right attitude to have! Good luck!

thanks bro, i just know that as much as nice as it is to have a garenteed weekly income of fuck it cash, ive had friends START djing since ive been there who are ehhhh opening for big name DJs and some DOOOOPE events with alot of local DJs that ive had to miss out on because i was workin, itll be a nice change of pace to be able to pick what partys i play and play what I want, plus my pay really cant go anywhere but UP UP UP lol. I may even try my hand at throwing my own events. I know the 1st thing i gotta start doing though is get back into going back to other clubs and networking, its been a WHILE since ive done that.
DouggyFresh 4:53 AM - 4 September, 2011
Bezzle with all the Internet notoriety you have, maybe it's time for the Bezzle world tour of guest spots lol