DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Retiring From The DJ Game

DJ DisGrace 4:39 PM - 16 May, 2011
What's good Serato fam?

Well, the time has come. After doing this 13+ years, I'm moving on. I will be starting medical school this coming August and I'm making the choice to hang up the headphones in order to commit myself fully to this undertaking.

A huge thanks to all that have helped me on this board, from hooking up my SL1 to how to properly IVTC videos. Apologies to those I gave misinformation to!

Keep this thing going, and keep putting posers and wannabes on blast! This culture has become too accessible and is doomed to die unless we come together and protect it.

No, I won't be selling my turntables! Or my 57! They will be in storage for a while until I can get a studio started again in a few years. I will have some accessories and other random gear for sale on eBay. Search seller "duttydave" for all the goodies, only a few things up now but plenty more to come over the next week.

My first year will be spent in Newcastle, UK - would love any djs from there to hit me up so I know where to get a pint and some solid tunes!

Peace Out,
DisGrace
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:28 PM - 16 May, 2011
Can I have your harddrive? lol jk (NM NM)
DJ DisGrace 6:02 PM - 16 May, 2011
Quote:
Can I have your harddrive? lol jk (NM NM)

you can keep an off-site backup for me, but you have promise not to hook it up ;)
BattleFunk 6:03 PM - 16 May, 2011
Good luck when you come to Newcastle!

What music are you in to?
DJ DisGrace 6:09 PM - 16 May, 2011
Quote:
Good luck when you come to Newcastle!

What music are you in to?

Thanks BattleFunk! Music taste is pretty wide. Definitely love my old school funk, soul, and hip-hop. Can get down to some groovy house, even some d&b. I'll hit you up when I settled, figure out ur crazy Geordie accent, and find time for a pint
BattleFunk 6:10 PM - 16 May, 2011
Sounds good to me =)

You'll probably love World Headquarters with that music taste ;)
ZESH! 7:00 PM - 16 May, 2011
Quote:
They will be in storage for a while until I can get a studio started again in a few years.

You're not retiring, just going on vacation while you establish yourself in your chosen profession (Probably one of the best decisions you've ever made)

I remember when I stopped. In conversation, I would say:
"I used to DJ"
not
"I used to BE a DJ"

I'm alot better at DJing now than I was before. Thanks, in part, to SSL

Good Luck
ninos 12:38 AM - 17 May, 2011
good luck man, well be here waiting for your return!
the_black_one 12:42 AM - 17 May, 2011
can we stop the dick riding and let the man do his thing...
FrankC15 1:36 AM - 17 May, 2011
I have a friend in med school who also DJs the occasional saturday night house party or club gig. Solid DJ too. Just saying, a serious endeavor like medical school isn't mutually exclusive from things that you're passionate about.
DJ Benny B NYC 5:31 PM - 17 May, 2011
could you tell the good djs in ny to retire too
ta2423 8:07 AM - 18 May, 2011
Even if you shut down shop... Could you really let loose of your hd? I couldnt.