Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

BPM display relative to pitch

DJ Dynamight 9:12 PM - 15 August, 2004
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen this suggestion made yet:

Display BPM in the SSL players relative to the positive or negative percentage of pitch the song is being played at.

The original BPM is retained when crates/playlists are viewed.
radish 10:37 PM - 15 August, 2004
I think it has been mentioned, but it would sure be useful so no harm in saying it again :)
Serato, Moderator
AJ 8:41 AM - 17 August, 2004
Internally, we have been talking about a preference that lets you choose between displaying the record speed the current way with the percentage display in the label view, or as bpm.
DJ Dynamight 1:04 PM - 17 August, 2004
how about both?? =)
J-BRAVO 5:39 PM - 24 August, 2004
good idea
tashafa 9:21 PM - 29 August, 2004
this should be so easy to implement I wonder why they just didnt have it in 1111?!?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 10:15 PM - 29 August, 2004
Because work of such a nature is going into version 1.2. Adding more features to 1.1 would just have delayed the release even further.
tashafa 4:02 PM - 30 August, 2004
i still dont see how calculating the addition of +/-x.x% of the BPM of the mp3 and displaying it side by side where the pitch correction label "A"/"B" is now, could have delayed 1111...not a lot that can go wrong coding that? maybe 1112?, thats all i need, maybe the tap & auto bpm also.. and i'll be straight.. new vinyls too would be nice...then u guys can start making plugins and we will buy/dowload/install the ones we need individually as we see fit in our application of SSL
tashafa 4:06 PM - 30 August, 2004
HOT START (seamless ala DN-S5000/S3000/S1000)on the each of the five markers in relative mode..IMO is a HUGE deal..i think this would be a defining feature if SSL ever implemeted it...
nik39 4:14 PM - 30 August, 2004
Quote:
i still dont see how calculating the addition of +/-x.x% of the BPM of the mp3 and displaying it side by side where the pitch correction label "A"/"B" is now, could have delayed 1111...not a lot that can go wrong coding that?

How about if you code that? Did you ever think of stuff which could go wrong? New features needs to be beta tested before they are released.
You wanna adjust bpm on what, the actual pitch? The average pitch? If average, averaged during what time? What would make sense? If not average, you will have the bpm change with each correction (hands on the platter) which you apply. Also right now SSL does not show any decimals, should the adjusted bpms display decimals? If anything went wrong, you were the first one complaining. I'd rather wait and have some working version than some rushed out versions which does not work correctly.

Cant understand why you ask questions like this, maybe you should think about what implications some new features may have. Primary target for this release was pitch drifting. ... My personal opinion.
tashafa 5:15 PM - 30 August, 2004
i cant understand your need to be annoying...the question wasnt directed at you.. when u start working at rane/serato feel free to answer to my post... till then stfu
nik39 5:25 PM - 30 August, 2004
No need to start insulting others. It has been said, that bugfixing has higher priority than new features being added, that makes sense, from my POV.
Prime-X 5:34 PM - 30 August, 2004
nik39 >:( Tashafa is right you don't need to comment like that, we are all dj's here and we just suggesting opinions and new possibility for the next upgrade.

>;)
tashafa 5:35 PM - 30 August, 2004
the addition of the tracking indicator wasnt a bugfix...
nik39 5:41 PM - 30 August, 2004
Quote:
nik39 >:( Tashafa is right you don't need to comment like that, we are all dj's here and we just suggesting opinions and new possibility for the next upgrade.

I apologize if I sounded to harsh, but tashafa was not only suggesting a new feature. He asked clearly why it has not been implemented yet, allthough it seems to be such an easy thing to implement. I disagreed, and pointed to the statement that it has been said, bugfixes have priority over new features.

We are all djs and suggesting opinions, ... So am I. My statements are my personal point of view. I cant or will speak for the SSL team, how could I.

Quote:
the addition of the tracking indicator wasnt a bugfix...

Yeah, I was happy about that. That doesnt mean that now all bugs have been sorted and any new feature will be implemented before the bugs are sorted.
tashafa 5:59 PM - 30 August, 2004
well if i wanted your POV... i would ask for it..why do u feel the need to talk like you are the HNIC of ssl
tashafa 6:05 PM - 30 August, 2004
all your comments, although u state that they are personl opinions, have sounded like you sign the checks over there at serato OR serato cuts you a check... personally i find it annoying
nik39 6:10 PM - 30 August, 2004
Why I comment on that one? Simply because its stupid to ask for stuff which has been clearly stated before that it wont happen. It has been said how new feature requests will be dealt with.
The same guys who as for new features (before getting the bugs sorted) are those who ask "why is the bug fix not out yet?".

And BTW you never asked for my POV, thats right, but who asked for yours? :) We all are expressing our POV's.

Anyway this thread has turned into something else. The subject was about BPM relative display, it has been confirmed that it will be implemented in a future update.
tashafa 6:57 PM - 30 August, 2004
if am not mistaken the topic of the board reads "Feature Suggestions" NOT "nik39s point of view"
tashafa 6:59 PM - 30 August, 2004
if the guys at serato think like you...we should just delete every post on this section and lock it up till SSL works flawlessly
nik39 7:05 PM - 30 August, 2004
Either you cant understand it, or you dont want to understand it. I am not saying anything about (your) future enhancement suggestions, but you were ranting why this has not been implemented yet.

And tashafa, as explained before everyone is expressing his own POV, there is no need this topic needs to be renamed :-P

Now can we both agree on one point (this discussion is senseless) and stop on this subject? Thanks.
Prime-X 7:21 PM - 30 August, 2004
yah, you guys need to stop this now it's too much... just hug each other @:?
dj_ricochet 3:01 AM - 1 September, 2004
Quote:
HOT START (seamless ala DN-S5000/S3000/S1000)on the each of the five markers in relative mode..IMO is a HUGE deal..i think this would be a defining feature if SSL ever implemeted it...

I suggested this a while back and it's been taken on-board by Serato. I agree with you that it would be a brilliant feature - I'd kiss needle-dropping goodbye if i could jump to my markers instantly in relative mode :)