Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Pitch drifting on CDJs on SL3

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Doug D-Funk 2:24 AM - 7 May, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.2
Hardware: scratchlive-sl3
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.5.8
---

I've been experiencing a problem with pitch shifting whilst using Serato on CDJs. There has been a few issues but the main ones are:

The pitch read out on the CDJ isn't the same as on screen, ie CDJ says +1.5 and on screen says +1.3. Sometimes it's close to the CDJ pitch speed but sometimes its way out, ie CDJ says +6.0 & on screen says +0.5.

Also the pitch on screen is moving around for no reason. Wobbling from 0.0 to 0.2 & back again randomly.

Also jumping from Rel mode into Int mode for no apparent reason.

I've calibrated the system every time I play at various places & always managed to get the setting to read 100% altho this jumps down to 96% randomly but the 33.3 setting in the top right on the calibration box is moving around from 33.3 to 33.4 or 33.2.

When I calibrate it I get 2 perfect circles but sometimes they have lines in between them connecting them, either straight lines or like a cross hatch.

It was only happening a little bit but the more I use it the more it seems to be happening. I've tried new connecting cables, new Serato CDs, moving the box around so its not close to power points/cables.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:12 PM - 9 May, 2011
What is your Audio input level set to?

Do you use any effects or master tempo from the cdj?

Does this issue happen with a different Scratch Live box?

Which Scratch Live hardware are you using?

What pitch range do you have selected on the cdj? Sometimes if it is wider thatn the software that can explain wide range display differences. The slight fluctuation of .00 to .02 is natural. The main thing is to check your tracking percentage, which you have and it appears fine.
Doug D-Funk 12:33 AM - 10 May, 2011
What is your Audio input level set to?

They are set to the Line/CDJ setting.

Do you use any effects or master tempo from the cdj?

No.

Does this issue happen with a different Scratch Live box?

I've only used another box on 1 occasion & yes the small variation were happening.

Which Scratch Live hardware are you using?

SL3 box with version 2.2.0. I just did the newest firmware upadate to v2.31.

What pitch range do you have selected on the cdj?

Normally +/-10%. I never really try to pitch thing up or down by more than about +/-6.0% either way. I switched the key lock function on the SSL off after reading a few forum comments but this didn't make any difference.

I understand that a small amount of pitch drifting occurs from the CDJ's that are all at various different levels of repair (I'm only playing out in clubs/bars and not at home) & it's not the small amount that is the problem as I can cope with that. It's when the pitch drifting & read out is largely different which is the big problem. I did big & important gig when the pitch was jumping around from +1.5 to +6.0 when the CDJ was playing at +3.0. Also the SSL was jumping from 'Rel' mode into 'Int' mode randomly for no reason.

I'm guessing that it's the same issue as the small amount of pitch drift just on a bigger scale?

I've also just used a new pair of controller CD that have a running time of 16.20 mins (or something like that) where as the one I was using before only had a running time of 15.38min, so I'm guessing the newer ones have been updated?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:28 PM - 10 May, 2011
If you burned your own discs, it sounds like both tracks got combined onto one. The control tone should only last 15:40 seconds. Is it switching to INT after that although your cdj still days track one?

+1.5 to +6.0 is a very wide variance and would be hard to dj with. Such a wide variance to me means you are losing readable control signal and that can cause erradict behavior. When this happens what do the scope view and tracking percentage read?
Doug D-Funk 12:33 AM - 11 May, 2011
The new CDs I have I was given by someone else & I've not actually used them yet. I just noticed something was different with them being longer & thought the CD may have been updated. I've been using mainly using the CD that came with Serato when I bought it 6 months ago. I have tried using new CDs that I downloaded from the Serato website & burnt onto new CDs but the same thing happened.

No it was jumping into 'INT' mode when the proper tone was playing as I loop track 1 on the CD on the CDJ so it never reaches the end.

The wide pitch was virtually impossible to DJ with. But it was odd cos some tracks were fluctuating speed following the pitch read out on the SSL but some were playing the same pitch as the CDJ was reading even tho the pitch on the SSL was moving up & down they were not?

I didn't see what the tracking percentage was doing. If it happens again I'll make sure I look. The circles in the scope view were both perfectly circles but had lines in between them connecting them that were either small lines at right angles to the circels or small cross hatch X shaped line between them. These were going on & off?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:16 PM - 11 May, 2011
Does this happen if your not looping the cd?
Doug D-Funk 10:21 PM - 11 May, 2011
Yes
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:46 PM - 11 May, 2011
You don't happen to be using denon 3500's are you?
Doug D-Funk 10:51 PM - 11 May, 2011
No only Pioneers CDJs. Either 1000mk2 & mk3, 2000 & 200. Happen on all.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 11:02 PM - 11 May, 2011
Try different cdj's.

Try a different computer.

Try a different SL unit.

Narrow it down to what happens with what combination.

The asnwers you give me, like perfect circles and 100% tracking are contradictory to the results you are telling me you are getting. A little stumped. Time to play process of elimination.
Doug D-Funk 11:10 PM - 11 May, 2011
Try different cdj's - I'm using it to play in clubs/bars. I don't get a choice in what CDJs they have.

Try a different computer - Shouldn't it work on a perfectly working computer anyway?

Try a different SL unit - I have tried it on another SL3 box on a home system set up & it worked Ok. Was a small amount of pitch drift but not too bad. The other option is buy another SL3 box? Seems like a very expensive option when the one I just bought should work.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 11:24 PM - 11 May, 2011
Your Sl-3 most likely is working perfectly. But I don't want to rule anything out or appear biased ;)

If it only happens at clubs and not at home, it could be the cdj's in the club. I know club gear takes abuse.

Another thing it could be is calibration. There is an awful lot of bass vibration in the club compared to home. Where are the estimate sliders set to below each scope view?

Sometimes computers have processors or components that cause the program to behave unexpectedly. What is happening is not normal so I want to make sure we cover all that we can.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 11:26 PM - 11 May, 2011
When playing regular cd's, does this happen as well?
Doug D-Funk 12:01 AM - 12 May, 2011
Yeah I thought it may be the club gear at first too as was only happeing on a few CDJ but its happening more & more now.

I've calibrated every time I play & it normally reads 100% at the lowest thresthold (-72.2db). I tried moving the Threshold up trying it at -60, -48, -24 even tho the readers are reading 100% which didn't seem to change anything.

I've noticed when the pitch is drifting the 100% moves down to 96%.

I've not had the issue with regular CDs but I've not tried them at the same time as this has been happening.
Doug D-Funk 12:09 AM - 12 May, 2011
The tracking circles have lines in between them. Sometimes like a XXXXXXXX running between the circles some time ||||||||| running between the circles. Sometimes these lines stay there the whole time, sometimes they go on & off.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:59 PM - 12 May, 2011
Try a regular cd and see if it happens as well.

Even though it didn't seem to have an effect, I would move those estimate sliders to 48.

Those lines are troubling. It could be the cdj, the cd or the inputs of the box. Usually when you see a line in the scope view it has stopped receiving an even stereo signal, that would cause poor control from the cdj. This will usually make the tracking percentage drop below 80%.

If you tried a different SL-3 at home and didn't have the issue, do you get the issue at home with your box? If so, it might need to be sent in for repair under warranty.
7:00 PM, 26 May 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.