Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

tracks on opposite deck skips when pressing sync on on deck with new song on

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-S1 +
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
SPDJ 1:37 AM - 7 May, 2011
Product: itch
Version: 1.8.0
Hardware: pioneer-ddj-s1||no-fx-controller
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.6
---

Hi there,

Just got back from my first gig using my brand new Pioneer DDJ-S1. I have noticed that almost every time need to press the sync button, the song on the other deck that's already playing jumps to a previous part of the song.

This is very irritating as I play various styles of music and want to shift between ranges of bpm and consequently need to disengage the sync (shift+sync) and engage it again later on and do not want the song on the opposite deck to jump everytime this happens.

Also sometimes when this happens the Pioneer also turns off the keylock (called 'master tempo' on the pioneer) so the song not only jumps, but changes pitch as well!

Is this a known problem? Will there be any firmware updates soon?

Many thanks,

Sunny
JonnyLove 9:33 AM - 7 May, 2011
I have noticed this sometimes so I can add a +1 to the fact this happens. I tend not to use the sync button and just use the pitch slider to change the pitch. Which is never a bad idea as sometimes the sync can be just a little out.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 5:00 AM - 9 May, 2011
Hey SPDJ,

Pressing 'Sync' on a deck will sync that deck to the opposite deck. So if you press 'Sync' on a deck that is playing it will skip and sync with the other deck. Are you saying that the opposite is happening? i.e you have a song playing on Deck 1 and you press 'Sync' on Deck 2 and Deck 1 snaps / moves to sync with Deck 2? Pressing 'Sync' on a deck should only effect that deck.

Quote:
Also sometimes when this happens the Pioneer also turns off the keylock (called 'master tempo' on the pioneer) so the song not only jumps, but changes pitch as well!

This is strange also! I haven't seen this.

Are you running the latest firmware for the DDJ-S1? You can check in the Setup screen.
Also, can you let me know exactly what build number of ITCH 1.8 you are running, this is displayed on the bottom-left of the setup screen.

Cheers :)
dr_bbq 7:35 AM - 9 May, 2011
I can agree with that problem that the opposite deck is jumping. (Pressing Sync on deck 2 (with the new track) makes the actual live track on the deck 1 jumping). That's really a big issue if you want to use the sync option.

The problem with the keylock I can't reproduce.
kostas 8:32 AM - 9 May, 2011
I have the same problem from the day i got it.

To Avoid Skipping u need to press the sync+shift

But that s not normal :(
Markinodeejay 1:22 PM - 9 May, 2011
Same problem: it's a BUG, a big BUG!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:11 PM - 9 May, 2011
Thanks for the input guys :)

Okay so I just had a go at reproducing this again...and I did it. However, it only happens when I press sync on one deck, and the other deck doesn't have a beatgrid.

So the criteria for the bug is :
- One track doesn't have a beatgrid and the other does.
- You aren't in Sync mode yet i.e sync was off prior to pressing sync.
Can you guys confirm this?

The good news is that I've tried this in ITCH 2.0 and it is not an issue, as Sync functionality has been greatly improved. So I guess the workaround until 2.0 is released is to make sure your tracks have beatgrids. If they don't either analyze them or quickly add one, press alt+space bar and then press x on the first downbeat (kick), then press enter.

And before you ask, I don' have a release date for ITCH 2.0 yet but it is coming ;)
dr_bbq 7:48 PM - 11 May, 2011
I personally don't use the beatgrid mode. I use it only for syncing the BPMs. I'm a old fashioned SL user but this functionality is really comfortable ;) .

But the second criteria is right. The problem is only when you activate sync for the first time.

But I think all my songs are analyzed and have beatgrids. I set up my library in SL but I saw once in itch that there are beatgrids recognized in the files.

Maybe I have time on weekend and can try it and have a look on the beatgrid thing. I want also to check the workaround with the shift button which kostas mentioned.
dr_bbq 8:13 PM - 11 May, 2011
OK, I couldn't wait till weekend ;)

My test results:

- shift workaround from kostas works fine... so it seems to be just a small bug
- with beatgrid enabled in the setup the problem is away
- but with beatgrid disabled in the setup it still jumps even if the track has the beatgrid information stored. But I don't want to use beatgrids - I just want to match the BPMs ;)

So guys please hurry up with 2.0... I'm excited as a small child since I saw the preview ;) . Even for me as a user of SL for more than five years I think this will be the greatest and biggest update in serato's history!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 12:24 AM - 19 May, 2011
Quote:
So guys please hurry up with 2.0... I'm excited as a small child since I saw the preview ;) . Even for me as a user of SL for more than five years I think this will be the greatest and biggest update in serato's history!

I think everyone will be happy with the improved sync functionality in 2.0 :)
I'll close this thread now but feel free to start new help threads if anyone has any problems.