DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Xones from China any different?

dj_blueprint 3:11 AM - 18 July, 2007
Hi,

As many of you already know, Allen and Heath have been making their Xone 02, 32, and 62 dj mixers in China.

Has anyone had any reports of different quality (A&H say the only difference is the labor, not parts).

I have recently purchased a Xone 62 (made in China) and although I have not used an A&H before, it has been a frustrating experience. (let's just say that I have to exchange it, and it's only been a week)
digital_steve 6:29 AM - 18 July, 2007
I've got a Xone 62 (wasn't aware it was made in China) and i haven't had any issues.
dj_blueprint 3:26 PM - 18 July, 2007
Quote:
I've got a Xone 62 (wasn't aware it was made in China) and i haven't had any issues.

Look on the back, near the XLR outputs.

Here is mine: s111.photobucket.com

My channels 1&2 mic outputs would cut off to the Mix out and only the mix out after 5 minutes of use. Also, the left channel has cut out once for an entire mix, but it hasn't happened since.

A&H customer service is great though and they are replacing it.
The Little Trooper 7:04 PM - 18 July, 2007
The photos on A&H's website show "Made In UK"

02: www.xone.co.uk
32: www.xone.co.uk
62: www.xone.co.uk

I wonder how long they have been doing this.
dj_blueprint 7:50 PM - 18 July, 2007
Since 2004.

It says that on their website, those are just old pics.
KaGeN 9:58 PM - 18 July, 2007
sonofa- mutha... now I have to go look at my A&H
digital_steve 11:12 PM - 18 July, 2007
I'll have to take a look myself.
There's also 2 versions of the Xone62 as well ... Different knobs, faders and signal flow.
dj_blueprint 2:05 AM - 19 July, 2007
Quote:
I'll have to take a look myself.
There's also 2 versions of the Xone62 as well ... Different knobs, faders and signal flow.

Yeah, my Xone 62 lets you hear EQ changes in the headphones, it's version Mk2.

www.allen-heath.com

From A&H directly:

A. We have been building the Xone:62, 32 and 02 models in China since summer 2004. They are built to exactly the same standard as the UK ones, using the same components, and tested on our own test equipment in the same way. As the Xone range grew and orders increased we had to look for an additional assembly plant in order to meet demand, as our UK factory was already operating at full capacity. We were keen to supply the demand for our products, but we were concerned about the rumours about exploitation in China, so we needed to find an internationally respected manufacturing partner with whom we could work to arrive at an acceptable production process. So, our engineering team in the UK designs the product, we specify the components to be used (the same as in our UK-built products - i.e. Alps pots and switches, P&G faders, Analog Devices IC etc.), specify the test stages and provide the test gear to ensure our standards are met. We regularly audit the production processes along with the standards accreditation bodies such as ITS to certify the standard safety and quality issues. The only difference is the direct labour content, and we're pleased to confirm that the working conditions and environment are exceptionally good in the factory we use. Finally, we're glad to say that we're very pleased with the quality of product the Chinese factory is achieving - there is NO discernible difference between the mixers built in China and those built in the UK.
KaGeN 2:47 AM - 19 July, 2007
my 92 is made in the UK, yeah.
ekwipt 2:55 AM - 19 July, 2007
There's no difference in build quality, China is the manufacturing superpower
dj_blueprint 3:18 AM - 19 July, 2007
Quote:

true. I hope my new replacement Xone 62 makes up for it this first one was whack.
DeezNotes 4:45 AM - 19 July, 2007
A&H customer service is wonderful. I have 2 02s in my posession right now purchased around '04 and they're both made in the UK. 1 of them doesn't work too well though. Actually, its broke. Sound issues. I was expecting to see "China" on the back, but both say UK.
deepdjdanny 2:22 PM - 19 July, 2007
one of their bigger desks (32ch) also has problems & this one is made in china.
cappinkirk 2:32 PM - 19 July, 2007
Quote:

hahaha i work at a place that manufactures stuff overseas so I i know better than that! no disrespect to any chinese people but there is a reason that manufacturing gets done their and it ain't always because of higher quality manufacturing (usually instead it is because it is the cheapest place to get anything manufactured, the exact opposite position of quality).
cappinkirk 2:34 PM - 19 July, 2007
like A&H is gonna say "well it's a bit of a sweatshop but we're quite simply raking it in!" i guess we should all be glad that you can always trust a corporation, right!
djwaz 4:00 AM - 20 July, 2007
We have a UK made 62 and 4 Chinese made 62's in different venues, we have had nothing but trouble with the Chinese ones, knobs coming loose, screws falling out, sliders that cut signal out etc etc. Not happy at all, and we'll be taking them all back to the distributor and either getting UK made 92's (if they still exist) or DJM800's.
dj_blueprint 4:42 AM - 20 July, 2007
Quote:
We have a UK made 62 and 4 Chinese made 62's in different venues, we have had nothing but trouble with the Chinese ones, knobs coming loose, screws falling out, sliders that cut signal out etc etc. Not happy at all, and we'll be taking them all back to the distributor and either getting UK made 92's (if they still exist) or DJM800's.

only the 02-62's are made in china bruv
concorde_pilot 10:38 AM - 20 July, 2007
the 92´s are made in china as well now , as far as i know??