Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Complete Crash

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DJ Sound Technique 7:58 PM - 1 May, 2011
Been having some random complete serato crashes since 2.0, finally got a log on the last 2 for review, please help, have a big show next weekend and dont want issues! It happens at random, never with the same files etc

[Michael R edit: Crash dump removed and attached as DJ Sound Technique Crash Dump.rtf]
DJ Sound Technique 2:31 AM - 3 May, 2011
Hello anyone out there?
DJ Sound Technique 2:32 AM - 3 May, 2011
Just noticed it says my OS is Vista, it's not it is XP Pro 32bit
DJ Sound Technique 10:30 PM - 3 May, 2011
Wow anyone looking at this?
1:31 AM, 4 May 2011
Michael R attached a file: DJ Sound Technique Crash Dump.rtf
Download· Permalink
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:33 AM - 4 May, 2011
Hi DJ Sound Technique,

Thanks for the crash dump, I'll forward it on to the Scratch Live developers to take a look at. Can you please tell me what you were doing at the time when these crashes happened? Also can you please give me the specs of your computer?

Thanks.
DJ Sound Technique 3:42 AM - 4 May, 2011
I was doing nothing, just mixing vids. It happens at random and has never done it on the same file. I have a really important gig this weekend, any insight would be helpful. A shutdown will kill me!

Win XP 32b Clean install on a dedicated partition, minimal other progs installed, wifi was disabled. All drivers up to date and using FFDSHOW / media spliter for video decoding

Lenovo Thinkpad T500
3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo
8gb ram
Radeon 3650 HD 256mb
HD 320gb 7200 rpm
Vsync Off
Frame Blending off
Quality is High
Serato
Glenn M 1:05 AM - 5 May, 2011
Hi, DJ Sound Technique. Where did you get this crash log from? Normally crash logs come from .dmp files and should be attached as such to this thread. Did you get a windows dialog box or something?

The instructions for obtaining crash logs for XP are here serato.com
3:09 AM, 5 May 2011
DJ Sound Technique attached a file: user.dmp
Download· Permalink
DJ Sound Technique 3:09 AM - 5 May, 2011
There you go. Hope you have an idea....
DJ Sound Technique 3:11 AM - 5 May, 2011
oh and the info above came from the drwtsn32 log file
DJ Sound Technique 1:18 AM - 7 May, 2011
Any updates?
Serato
Glenn M 9:48 PM - 8 May, 2011
Sorry for the delay. Was that crash log (the .dmp) definitely made using 2.2 and was it made using a scratchlive.exe that you renamed to sl2006.exe?

Check the date the .dmp file was created just to make sure.

Basically our debugging tools seem to imply that the app you crashed was c:\SL2006 2009\sl2006.exe but I can't seem to be able to debug your crash log using our release build of 2.2.
DJ Sound Technique 5:00 AM - 9 May, 2011
Well the Dr Watson log file that I posted excerts from originally shows that it was scratchlive.exe for sure that crashed two different times. I did not go inside that .dmp file and look at it before I sent it.

SL2006.exe is sunlite2006 / Elation Compuware DMX lighting control software and it was not running for either of the crashes.

I am using 2.2 for sure for sure.

What can I do to help? Good news is that I played all night Friday AND Saturday night with no issues but that is the real scary thing is that it just does this out of the blue for no reason so that is why I am trying to get to the bottom of it.
Serato
Glenn M 10:31 PM - 9 May, 2011
A user.dmp is not really clear at indicating what app crashed, but basically that crash log was for a program called SL2006.exe, so at some point you sunlite2006 must have crashed, creating that .dmp file.

We can only make headway on the .dmp crash logs so all I can suggest is to make sure Dr. Watson is set up correctly (but I suspect you've already followed serato.com) and if you have any more, upload them.
Serato
Glenn M 6:48 AM - 11 May, 2011
There is a 2.2.2 you may wish to try (it was released for the SL2 and SL4). It may address some of the issues you've experienced.

It's available here: serato.com
DJ Sound Technique 1:28 AM - 12 May, 2011
Okay I will give it a shot, I can't find another crash log and it looks like dr watson did not have all the flags set. This is a fresh install of XP and I must have forgotten to update them. Weird thing is the log file clearly showed scratchlive.exe crashed 2 different times
Serato
Glenn M 2:57 AM - 12 May, 2011
Quote:
showed scratchlive.exe crashed 2 different times

Which is not so good. Hopefully with those flags set we can make some progress on this.
4:39 AM, 19 Jun 2011
Download· Permalink
DJ Sound Technique 4:40 AM - 19 June, 2011
Okay another complete scratchlive crash last night and I am running 2.2.2
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:54 PM - 19 June, 2011
Hey DJ Sound Technique,

What were you doing in Scratch Live when this crash happened?
DJ Sound Technique 1:16 AM - 20 June, 2011
Mixing video, same as always. Nothing when it actually crashed, a song was playing and the next one was already loaded on the deck. It continues to play with the crash warning window on the screen, as soon as you close the crash window, poof serato is gone...... It actually did it again after I posted this last night, I will upload the second log
3:52 AM, 20 Jun 2011
Download· Permalink
DJ Sound Technique 7:15 PM - 22 June, 2011
Any updates?
Serato
Glenn M 10:03 PM - 26 June, 2011
Hi, DJ Sound Technique. Apologies for only just being able to look at this, but it's been flat out here.

The crash is related to SSL trying to automatically use a track's filename to pull out title and artist information. It's doing it on one of your mpeg4 files (probably either an mp4 or m4a file).

Basically if a file has to meta information in the file itself, SSL tries to look at the filename and if it recognises something like
artist - title.mp4
Then it adds that to the database.
For some reason SSL crashing, so if you know what file that could be, please upload it to this thread. We'll try and reproduce this here though.

Thanks.

[edit]
The trigger for the crash is loading a track to the deck. It will be a file that has to artist or title information is the file, so likely to be a freshly ripped track.
DJ Sound Technique 4:39 PM - 27 June, 2011
Hey Glenn that is the hard part, it never crashes on the same file and I use those same files other times with no issues!
Serato
Glenn M 9:37 PM - 27 June, 2011
Okay, thanks. At least we now have a starting point.
Serato
Glenn M 12:27 AM - 8 July, 2011
Hi, DJ Sound Technique. Just letting you know that we've resolved this issue by pulling a minor feature from 2.3.

It means that mpeg4 files that have no meta data will no longer have their file names parsed to extract artist and title anymore.
DJ Sound Technique 7:13 PM - 8 July, 2011
Thanks Glenn! Is there a new download link for the updated version? Im playing tonight and can test it!
DJ Sound Technique 9:45 PM - 9 July, 2011
Glenn
I checked all the files in my main set and they all have tags that show in serato, I have not checked with a tagging program to see if they are in the mp4 container or in the meta data yet but they all show artist and title in serato. I am still have some files that show they are writting tags when the next track is loaded on the deck, this use to cause mad USB dropouts but now i just notice it saying its writting tags every now and then. Another thing I have noticed is some files are not storing the overviews and it builds it every time the song is loaded but it has not made it crash
Serato
Glenn M 9:29 PM - 10 July, 2011
Quote:
I am still have some files that show they are writting tags when the next track is loaded on the deck, this use to cause mad USB dropouts but now i just notice it saying its writting tags every now and then.

Files can only write when they aren't loaded to a deck. If a tiny piece of overview is built during playback, then it will cause a file write on eject.

Quote:
Another thing I have noticed is some files are not storing the overviews and it builds it every time the song is loaded but it has not made it crash

This is a recurring bug that just doesn't seem to want to stay fixed. If you have a track that does that, upload here and I'll make a bug report in our Serato Internal area. No fix for this will make it into 2.3 though.

Thanks.
DJ Sound Technique 11:23 PM - 10 July, 2011
I will upload a track tomorrow for you. Hey I have a wedding next Sat, how can I get a copy of the version that has the crash fix?
Thanks
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:04 PM - 19 July, 2011
Hey DJ Sound Technique,

Just letting you know that the Scratch Live 2.3 public beta is now available, you can get it here -> serato.com (click link).
12:00 AM, 3 Aug 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.