DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

WHAT was that song FUNKMASTER FLEX played tonight at like 11:40PM?

DJJOHNNYM 4:51 AM - 15 July, 2007
It was FIYAH! It's a dubbed remix of Love Is The Message or some shit. I know SOMEBODY here heard it!!!!

He played it right before he played "Be Faithful"...

Only serious responses please!

God, don't lemmie find out it's some shit available on Crooklyn Clan.net, cuz I might be willing to PAY a few bucks...

Damn.
lvmez 2:45 PM - 15 July, 2007
go to yes.com and you can find what song was playing at any specific time on radio station in the united states. great site.

p.s. your out of luck. sometimes the site doesn't list old school joints because it's not in there system or the song isn't played long enough. check out the siye though.
MAURICE STARR 3:29 PM - 15 July, 2007
IVMEZ wow thank you for that site because so many people tell me well I heard it on the station here or there etc. Now I can tell if they really heard it on that station yes great site.
lvmez 3:45 PM - 15 July, 2007
your welcome.
DJJOHNNYM 4:11 PM - 15 July, 2007
Quote:
go to yes.com and you can find what song was playing at any specific time on radio station in the united states. great site.

p.s. your out of luck. sometimes the site doesn't list old school joints because it's not in there system or the song isn't played long enough. check out the siye though.

Thanks!
Stretch 4:15 PM - 15 July, 2007
you remember how the song goes?
DJJOHNNYM 4:25 PM - 15 July, 2007
Quote:
you remember how the song goes?

It was purely instrumental. It sampled "Love Is The Message" by MFSB and the way they had it running was HOT. I mean, I haven't wanted to GET a song in this day and age so bad in a minute.

I don't usually listen to Flex that much, (or radio at all in general), so I don't know if this joint is new, or old...But he was kinda running an old school session, but the way he kept coming back to it was like the shit was new.

I almost wanna call the station...
DJJOHNNYM 4:27 PM - 15 July, 2007
Like I said, he ran it RIGHT BEFORE Fatman Scoops "Be Faithful", and he mixed in that "C'mon Baby" sample by Luke, and then took the "C'mon Baby" thingy out, and still let the song ride...

ARRRGGHHH!!! Somebody knows it!
lvmez 5:38 PM - 15 July, 2007
i'm curious myself. sounds familiar. is it a crooklyn clan break track?
DJJOHNNYM 5:45 PM - 15 July, 2007
Quote:
i'm curious myself. sounds familiar. is it a crooklyn clan break track?

I don't know, but since he was running what seemed to be "Crooklyn Classics", it may have been...
DJJOHNNYM 5:46 PM - 15 July, 2007
But the shit sounded BRAND NEW! Or at least HELLA funky.
DJJOHNNYM 5:46 PM - 15 July, 2007
I mean he ran it for a LONG TIME TOO...Like he was introducing it or some shit...
lvmez 6:23 PM - 15 July, 2007
i don't think it was a new track. "c'mon baby" is an old school chant.
dj hoodat baller 6:30 PM - 15 July, 2007
Quote:
he might have re mixed it if i could hear it i might could tell you
DJJOHNNYM 7:05 PM - 15 July, 2007
Quote:
i don't think it was a new track. "c'mon baby" is an old school chant.

I know the "C'mon Baby" is a CLASSIC OLD SCHOOL CHANT, but the way he usually runs thru shit, it's one song, followed by another song, followed by another song..etc...

When's he's playing some new shit, he might hit another song, or accapella over the new track, but keep defaulting back to the main track...like he did with the "C'mon Baby" accapella.

I think the shit was new.
DJJOHNNYM 7:07 PM - 15 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
he might have re mixed it if i could hear it i might could tell you

What's good Grand T? Flex ain't remixin' SHIT! LMAO.

I do believe he might have gotten from somebody and was givin' it some shine. Again, it was a sampled part of MFSB's "Love Is The Message", but it just had the base and drum part rockin' hard...

AARRRRGGGHHH!
dj hoodat baller 7:08 PM - 15 July, 2007
Can you get a link or some way i could hear it Johnny
dj hoodat baller 7:10 PM - 15 July, 2007
What's up Johnny how you been i been working a lot and promoting
DJJOHNNYM 7:16 PM - 15 July, 2007
Quote:
Can you get a link or some way i could hear it Johnny

I wish I could...They played it on the air when I was comin' home for DJ'ing that crazy reception I was talking about in the other thread...
DJJOHNNYM 7:17 PM - 15 July, 2007
Quote:
What's up Johnny how you been i been working a lot and promoting

Chillin' man, I've been on the grind too...

Y'all stay tuned!
dj hoodat baller 7:18 PM - 15 July, 2007
Man that sucks maybe you could ask the station
henryo 7:22 PM - 15 July, 2007
was it the rjd2/aceyalone track 'fire'?
DJJOHNNYM 11:41 PM - 15 July, 2007
Quote:

What is that, and where can I find it?
DJJOHNNYM 11:42 PM - 15 July, 2007
Quote:
Man that sucks maybe you could ask the station

I already placed a call...but Flex is funny...

I've got a friend or 2 that know his underlings like Cipha, and Mr. Cee so I may have to ask a 3rd party to really get a straight forward answer.
DeezNotes 8:00 AM - 16 July, 2007
Is it Pal Joey - Raw Love?
DJJOHNNYM 10:28 AM - 16 July, 2007
Quote:
Is it Pal Joey - Raw Love?

I'll research it!

Thanks!
DJ d.range 12:17 AM - 17 July, 2007
sux that it was a saturday... thats the only time where flex actually really dj's, otherwise i would have advised u to just turn on the radio tonight, as he tends to play the same stuuf @ the same time during the week
DJJOHNNYM 12:19 AM - 17 July, 2007
Quote:
sux that it was a saturday... thats the only time where flex actually really dj's, otherwise i would have advised u to just turn on the radio tonight, as he tends to play the same stuuf @ the same time during the week
LMAO!

Damn.
DJ BIG M 4:04 PM - 18 July, 2007
The song is a remix found on a record with like 3 other remixes. I bought just 1 copy at "rock and soul" here in nyc about 8yrs ago. It's on a "bootleg" lable. The begining starts off with just a "haunting" Sax vibe and the beat with the organ kicks in like someone is just holding the organ key down,-hot song!
DJ-A 4:17 PM - 18 July, 2007
this chick comes up to me this weekend and said

do you like ________ (it was a group i had just played)

she caught me off gaurd so i replied as much as anyone else...

she said "i bet you didnt know anyone else here knew who they were did ya.

Me, Actually, you're right (kind of puzzled)

she says... i like the song but had no idea who they are...

I guess there is a feature with some cell phone company where you take your phone and put it close to the speaker, after so many seconds it lets you know the song and artist
DJJOHNNYM 4:36 PM - 18 July, 2007
Quote:
The song is a remix found on a record with like 3 other remixes. I bought just 1 copy at "rock and soul" here in nyc about 8yrs ago. It's on a "bootleg" lable. The begining starts off with just a "haunting" Sax vibe and the beat with the organ kicks in like someone is just holding the organ key down,-hot song!

OMG...Can I get a NAME? I'm going to Rock and Soul TODAY!

Sh*t, I didn't know it was that old...
lvmez 10:27 PM - 18 July, 2007
lol. told you sooo.
djaction 12:12 AM - 19 July, 2007
update? any luck obtaining that record?
DjWoody 12:32 AM - 19 July, 2007
Quote:

OMG! Thank you so much! That website is the shits!!! That's a gem right there!!! THANK YOU!
Nicky Blunt 1:33 PM - 19 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

OMG! Thank you so much! That website is the shits!!! That's a gem right there!!! THANK YOU!

+ 1

Big up for that site we just need one for the uk now!
DJJOHNNYM 2:16 PM - 19 July, 2007
Quote:
lol. told you sooo.

LOL, yeah you did.

+1
Thundercat 2:50 PM - 19 July, 2007
Did you get it?
DJJOHNNYM 3:05 PM - 19 July, 2007
Quote:
Did you get it?

I'm not sure...

There is a song out there by Pal Joey called - Raw Love, that is VERY similar to what I heard...

Now, I want to aquire a sample from the song that DJ BIG M is talking about to see if it's the same joint.

It's funny, I have 2 copies of Pal Joey's Runaway/Here It Is, and I THINK I may actually have the PartyTime/Raw Love joint...

I have to look DEEPER for that....

I just don't picture Funkmaster Flex playing a Pal Joey joint tho, so I'm interested in the joint that DJ BIG M is talking about...
pdidy 4:35 AM - 20 July, 2007
your welcome but i dont no the real name of the track.

www.zshare.net
pdidy 4:37 AM - 20 July, 2007
and its not new.....i've had it over 3yrs.
DJJOHNNYM 4:48 AM - 20 July, 2007
Quote:

www.zshare.net

HOOOOOOOOEEEEEEEE MMMMMYYYYYYY GGGGGOOOOOODDDDDDD!!!!!!

THAT JOINT IS FIYAH!!!!

Yes...

Yes...

YES!!!
DJC 6:51 AM - 20 July, 2007
crap what is it i wanna know so bad know
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:44 PM - 20 July, 2007
listening through a pc speaker...

It sounds like a cajmere production with that baseline.
DJJOHNNYM 7:15 PM - 20 July, 2007
Quote:
listening through a pc speaker...

It sounds like a cajmere production with that baseline.

You have to listen to that joint LOUD!

I was jammin' when I heard it!

100 CYBERBUCKS to whoever can get me a name!
dj hoodat baller 7:16 PM - 20 July, 2007
Hey johnny what's good
DJJOHNNYM 7:31 PM - 20 July, 2007
Quote:
Hey johnny what's good

Chillin' ma dude.
dj hoodat baller 7:34 PM - 20 July, 2007
I need to talk to you got email
Mr. $weetlife 10:38 PM - 20 July, 2007
Quote:

BIG UP MAN! I bump that shit in the club all the time!
DJJOHNNYM 5:10 PM - 25 July, 2007
AHEM....
3.14 6:46 PM - 25 July, 2007
Can any one tell me who the Artist on the "C'mon Baby remix is. I think it is a Funk Flex remix, but I am not sure. It has the Doo Doo brown drop behind it and it is an old school joint.

Thanks
DeezNotes 6:49 PM - 25 July, 2007
The artist is Funkmaster Flex.
DeezNotes 6:50 PM - 25 July, 2007
3.14 7:05 PM - 25 July, 2007
Thanks DeezNotes
gzentertainment 7:21 PM - 25 July, 2007
Quote:

www.zshare.net

What's the name of this track?
DJJOHNNYM 8:02 PM - 25 July, 2007
Quote:
Thanks DeezNotes

Go create your OWN thread...DAMMIT!

j/k....
gzentertainment 1:47 AM - 27 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks DeezNotes

lol... SERIOUSLY. Anyone ID this track yet? Either the one DJJOHNNYM originally asked for or the one pdidy linked on zshare?
DJJOHNNYM 2:52 AM - 27 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks DeezNotes

lol... SERIOUSLY. Anyone ID this track yet? Either the one DJJOHNNYM originally asked for or the one pdidy linked on zshare?

I need that SONG!
DJJOHNNYM 9:27 PM - 27 July, 2007
don't let me start lockin threads out dis piece just for a name....
Thundercat 9:46 PM - 27 July, 2007
Hah, found time away from the 56 to post? Surprising...
DJJOHNNYM 3:05 AM - 28 July, 2007
Quote:
Hah, found time away from the 56 to post? Surprising...

LOL....

****going back now****
DeeJay*CASPER 1:24 AM - 22 April, 2008
Quote:
it was a sampled part of MFSB's "Love Is The Message", but it just had the base and drum part rockin' hard...

AARRRRGGGHHH!

it is Love is the Message by MFSB....its the breakdown at the end of the song...its a minute long break too.....back in the days he used to mix 'Dance To The Drummers Beat' with it.
DJMark 1:40 AM - 22 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
it was a sampled part of MFSB's "Love Is The Message", but it just had the base and drum part rockin' hard...

AARRRRGGGHHH!

it is Love is the Message by MFSB....its the breakdown at the end of the song...its a minute long break too.....back in the days he used to mix 'Dance To The Drummers Beat' with it.

Sounds like maybe the Danny Krivit bootleg edit of "Love Is The Message" that you guys are talking about. It's originally from the late 80's, but got repressed a year or two ago.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:43 AM - 22 April, 2008
man somebody's been diggin threads ;)
DeeJay*CASPER 3:12 AM - 22 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

AARRRRGGGHHH!

Sounds like maybe the Danny Krivit bootleg edit of "Love Is The Message" that you guys are talking about. It's originally from the late 80's, but got repressed a year or two ago.

noooo....its the original song....i would zshare and post it but dont know if i can without getting banned.
DeeJay*CASPER 3:13 AM - 22 April, 2008
Quote:
man somebody's been diggin threads ;)

LOL....yeah i was bored....
DeezNotes 4:06 AM - 22 April, 2008
I heard the clip posted back when this thread was created. It wasn't the original or the Krivit remix. It was something else. Not to mention, I would expect Johnny to know how any/all versions of the OG sounds.
papupu 7:57 AM - 15 May, 2009
Reading this thread helped me find what I think is the version everyone's been searching for. It is a hot track:

www.amazon.com
DeezNotes 12:27 PM - 15 May, 2009
Nope.
DeezNotes 12:30 PM - 15 May, 2009
I believe Johnny has this record now by the way.. I still don't know what the name of it is.
Nicky Blunt 12:33 PM - 15 May, 2009
fuck me JohnnyM hahahahaha what a tool! I bet he is still here under a different name now
DeezNotes 12:38 PM - 15 May, 2009
How come he's a tool? Did I miss something?
Nicky Blunt 12:49 PM - 15 May, 2009
You never saw the whole sixxx vs johnnym thing!

Wow! I just thought he came across as a tool! Its not normally something i say you know I'm the quiet type when it comes to this kinda thing but he really played himself on that!
bourbonstmc 1:59 PM - 15 May, 2009
Quote:
fuck me JohnnyM hahahahaha what a tool! I bet he is still here under a different name now

Like maybe the one who bumped this thread from about page 200 of DJing discussion after a year of dormancy in his first and only post four minutes after he registered?

www.scratchlive.net
(no logout)
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:02 PM - 15 May, 2009
lol!!!! sherlock bourbon is at it again
Nicky Blunt 2:05 PM - 15 May, 2009
I noticed that!
Hence why I called johhny a tool!

He had his moments as a cool dude but ultimately played himself
DJ Sniffles 3:25 PM - 15 May, 2009
Bunch of girls in here. That was almost 2 yrs ago.
Thundercat 3:30 PM - 15 May, 2009
Quote:
fuck me JohnnyM

No misquote needed. Obsession personified.
Dj K.Smith 8:51 PM - 15 May, 2009
JM is a cool dude... Y'all living in the past with old beefs...
papupu 8:52 PM - 15 May, 2009
Hearing "Love Is The Message" the other night on the radio reminded me of the track Flex would play sometimes towards the end of his sessions (can't say I listen all the time; last heard it about a year ago.) So if you google mfsb and funkmaster flex, this thread is the first item to come up.

I'm fairly certain the track I linked is what I heard him play on more than one occasion; perhaps you guys listened to another song. If so, I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be anyone else, I'm not even a DJ, I'm simply a fan of good music. I guess I'm also sorry for trying to be nice and helpful with the folks here. Apparently, acting like bitches is the way to go in this forum.
Dj K.Smith 9:05 PM - 15 May, 2009
Quote:
Apparently, acting like bitches is the way to go in this forum.

Naw man you're good... Saying stuff like that though will make cats wanna be "E"-thugs on you though.. If you find the track, stop back and post the info kid... Everybody ain't trippin' like that...

FunkyRob 12:00 AM - 16 May, 2009
I don't even know what hot him banned here, but he's fun to watch on stickam
lvmez 2:22 AM - 16 May, 2009
a lot of e-bitches up in here. check johnny out on saturday nights on stickam. he's a humble guy with great dj skills.
DJJAZZY2017 3:52 AM - 27 November, 2011
ANYBODY STILL LOOKIN FOR THAT TRACK FLEX PLAYED???????? ALSO MR. C PLAYED IT ONE DAY: THE NAME IS " HOUSE IS THE MESSAGE " BY FRANKIE FELICIANO " NERVOUS RECORDS 1999. I THOUGHT THE SHIT WAS NEWER THAN THAT BUT APPARENTLY NOT.......Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Wade-West 5:42 AM - 27 November, 2011
^ heat
DeezNotes 5:10 PM - 27 November, 2011
DJ Remy USA 3:47 PM - 28 November, 2011
Can anyone tell me what labels were putting out this sound? I love the soul house vibe want more of it
DeezNotes 9:58 PM - 28 November, 2011
Quote:
Can anyone tell me what labels were putting out this sound? I love the soul house vibe want more of it

I might not be the best one to chime in here since there are other housing authorities on this board way more in tune to the genre, but I always found it better to follow the producers and artists. Find some tracks from a producer you like, then find his remixes. Then check out who he's remixing or who else is on that label. Most of these tracks are on a bunch of different labels so I just like to go by artist/producer. I'll only research a label if I find 2-3 different tracks from that same label I like.

DJ Spen and Karizma are local to us. You'll see their names a lot along with the Defected label. I like DJ Sneak for this type of sound personally... Masters at Work tracks are always classics. For vocals Kenny Bobien has really dope tracks. Oh, another tip is to listen to DJs that play this stuff. Like Dazz does on Friday nights on Stickam.
DJ GaFFle 10:03 PM - 28 November, 2011
Quote:
...Like Dazz does on Friday nights on Stickam.

I thought he was just your typical House DJ until I heard him scratch... he is nice with it! (NM)
the_black_one 10:06 PM - 28 November, 2011
Quote:

nervous records had a nice run in the 90's with very east coast sounding stuff, Star 69 (*69) had a good run as well. Strictly rhythm had some huge tracks, groovelishious as well. start with those. Subliminal records too
pdidy 10:24 PM - 28 November, 2011
Quote:

www.zshare.net

Quote:
and its not new.....i've had it over 3yrs.

Quote:
ANYBODY STILL LOOKIN FOR THAT TRACK FLEX PLAYED???????? ALSO MR. C PLAYED IT ONE DAY: THE NAME IS " HOUSE IS THE MESSAGE " BY FRANKIE FELICIANO " NERVOUS RECORDS 1999. I THOUGHT THE SHIT WAS NEWER THAN THAT BUT APPARENTLY NOT.......Watchwww.youtube.com

wow all these years an its finally id'd
DeezNotes 2:54 AM - 29 November, 2011

This ^^ is the proper ID (1997). Frankie Feliciano played it on an official mix, so it is listed with him as the artist on at least 2 variations of that mix compilation.
DeezNotes 2:55 AM - 29 November, 2011
DJ Benny B NYC 5:04 AM - 29 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

nervous records had a nice run in the 90's with very east coast sounding stuff, Star 69 (*69) had a good run as well. Strictly rhythm had some huge tracks, groovelishious as well. start with those. Subliminal records too

+1. Especially strictly rhythm and nervous.
DJ Remy USA 12:39 PM - 29 November, 2011
thanks guys this genre is dope and its good music to play early or when closing out. I personally like it just to chill out and smoke a joint too..lol
DeeJay*CASPER 7:32 AM - 1 December, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1. Especially strictly rhythm and nervous.

absolutely nailed it on the head
Dj Nyce 8:23 PM - 1 December, 2011
man nervous and all their imprints (weeded, wrecked, etc) used to get busy in the 90's. i was always in beat street brooklyn and buying anything with a yellow label.