Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Letterbox border fill?

Betow 3:30 PM - 25 April, 2011
Hello all,

I have been watching some really good videos online in this forum, and I just have the question of how/what affect is used to get the top and bottom black borders from a letterbox video to appear blurry or doubled from the original video.

I have barely used Vegas, and have seen Final Cut Pro, but was curious if it was a video affect or an extra plugin you have to buy to get the video with the black borders on top and bottom to fill the whole screen with the image.

Deejay Z's 1 hour & 20 Min video is what I am referencing, Taio Cruzs' Higher video is where I first noticed this effect. Just as a reference incase my message above doesn't make sense.

Thanks all!!!
Dj Nyce 12:17 PM - 26 April, 2011
there are a lot of ways to do this. but basically the effect is done by compositing a 640x360 video over a 640x480 background. the background can be anything you want.

an example in after effects:
add foreground to composition
resize/crop forground *if not already at 640x360
add background to composition
resize/crop forground *if not already at 640x480
add lens blur effect
render
Betow 3:26 AM - 28 April, 2011
Ah, gotcha, I thought as much, but was uncertain if a specific video affect was applied to the 640 X 360 or was just the same video with resize/cropping.
djpuma_gemini 6:15 PM - 28 April, 2011
people have different tricks
philldafunk 2:25 AM - 3 June, 2011
Can anyone shed anymore light on this subject? I don't even know how to begin to search for tips on this. What prog do I need to use to accomplish an effect like this? Final Cut, After Effects?

Any input would be appreciated
DJ DisGrace 2:31 AM - 3 June, 2011
Quote:

don't waste ur time doing it
Naysayer 8:37 AM - 3 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

don't waste ur time doing it

+1 It looks like public access television.
ClubBusta 12:54 PM - 3 June, 2011
you can get that effect by hitting the "I STOLE THIS VIDEO" button on your vegas.
djpuma_gemini 3:02 PM - 3 June, 2011
overused effect from 2008 and on.

Now it's borders on the fullscreen vids (left,right) to make them "look" WS.
I've done this and will stop now.
Too many people are doing it and the vids do look best in their og format of 4X3