Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

VIDEO: LIVE REMIX ON THE NS6

djcerla 11:51 AM - 15 April, 2011
Enjoy this 4-decks live remix of "Like a G6" made on the new Numark NS6. That puppy rocks!

Watchwww.youtube.com

You can also download all the tracks and sounds specially crafted for this routine here: files.me.com
marcA 11:58 AM - 15 April, 2011
crazy!
very nice!
I1Kirm 11:59 AM - 15 April, 2011
Nice one Cerla. NS6 looks pretty impressive!
skratchworx 12:04 PM - 15 April, 2011
Outstanding work. Seriously impressive.
BadBoyChubs 12:06 PM - 15 April, 2011
my ideal! lol, Great work.
amada32 12:25 PM - 15 April, 2011
Excellent work. Also, love the vinyl collection.
docmotion2000 12:59 PM - 15 April, 2011
nice
Papa Midnight 1:36 PM - 15 April, 2011
Cerla does it again!
djkrazyleo 2:10 PM - 15 April, 2011
Cerla how does the jogwheels feels comparing to the vci 300 just curious
djcerla 2:15 PM - 15 April, 2011
Quote:

a bit heavier, but they feel great... like the rest of the unit. The build quality is nothing short of amazing, IMHO Numark has set the golden standard for hardware quality! I'm a fan.
djkrazyleo 2:17 PM - 15 April, 2011
i,m sold, thanx man excellent work as usual.
Schuyler 2:30 PM - 15 April, 2011
Yet another demo of how ITCH doesn't limit a DJ's amazing talents.
marcA 2:33 PM - 15 April, 2011
@djcerla : out of curiousity : which itch version n°? :)
Zuck 2:36 PM - 15 April, 2011
Wow. I appreciate the time you took to map out all the info bubbles too.
djcerla 2:48 PM - 15 April, 2011
Quote:
@djcerla : out of curiousity : which itch version n°? :)

I'm not sure I'm allowed to disclose this :( but I can tell you that I haven't seen 2.0 in the wild yet.

Quote:
Wow. I appreciate the time you took to map out all the info bubbles too.

it took me a good 2 days for creating then polishing them. Glad you like them ^_^
JDforKing 2:53 PM - 15 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

a bit heavier, but they feel great... like the rest of the unit. The build quality is nothing short of amazing, IMHO Numark has set the golden standard for hardware quality! I'm a fan.

Hey cerla, how would you compare the feel to your numark v7. I know you love those.
djcerla 3:04 PM - 15 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hey cerla, how would you compare the feel to your numark v7. I know you love those.

IMHO build quality is on par (read: top)

The buttons are fantastic, I think it's very clear from the "arpeggio" that I made in the video. They're super-fast and they lost that "gummy" feeling that was Achille's heel of the NS7 (the problem was already fixed in V7s, but these ones are even more responsive).
BadBoyChubs 3:06 PM - 15 April, 2011
Quote:

I'm not sure I'm allowed to disclose this :( but I can tell you that I haven't seen 2.0 in the wild yet.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm..........
elsupermang 4:58 PM - 15 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

IMHO build quality is on par (read: top)

The buttons are fantastic, I think it's very clear from the "arpeggio" that I made in the video. They're super-fast and they lost that "gummy" feeling that was Achille's heel of the NS7 (the problem was already fixed in V7s, but these ones are even more responsive).

agreed the ns7 buttons are pretty lame. sometimes i hit them and they dont even register. esp cue/play and some cue points.

very nice video, my favorite part was the instant replay lol.
zaguama 5:45 PM - 15 April, 2011
WOW! great stuff cerla, great way of showing off what you can do with ITCH and the NS6, also shows off how accurate are the buttons and how sensitive and accurate are the jog wheels with your "Gate" effect (patent pending). Is it me or the filters sound better with this mixer?
zaguama 5:58 PM - 15 April, 2011
i've watched it 5 times though, to try to pickup all the details :p too much going on.
Ragman 6:05 PM - 15 April, 2011
My boyeeee... Thanks for that video Cerla. Really needed to see a performance like that. I'm officially off the fence between the NS6 and the S4. ;-)
zaguama 6:08 PM - 15 April, 2011
oh and if its not too much trouble Mr. Gabriele, have you been able to hookup some turntables or CDJs to this baby and check how good the sound is?
kraal 6:11 PM - 15 April, 2011
i love the 'read fast' part --- classic
Rebelguy 6:20 PM - 15 April, 2011
Extremely sick but in theory couldn't you do most of the routine on a Xone DX right now?
djcerla 6:31 PM - 15 April, 2011
Quote:
oh and if its not too much trouble Mr. Gabriele, have you been able to hookup some turntables or CDJs to this baby and check how good the sound is?

Yup! I had a small Pioneer DJ mixer in the studio for a 1210 and a CDJ1000, totally replaced by the NS6 now. The turntable preamp is 3x as good :) it's a simple but great sounding 4 channels mixer.

Switching from "PC" (ITCH) to an analog input, the related track in ITCH gets grayed out. Nice!
Rob Pointer 6:46 PM - 15 April, 2011
I wish I could watch this video, but YouTube is blocked at work.

Cerla, are you a beta tester? How did you get your hands on one?
haze324 6:54 PM - 15 April, 2011
Quote:
I wish I could watch this video, but YouTube is blocked at work.

Same here.

Cerla - does the NS6 have the same soundcard as the NS7?

Comparing the sound on M-Audio BX8A the sound from my S4 is a warmer, bass heavier sound, while the NS7 has a clearer sound. Wondering what the NS6 comes equipped with in. Same as NS7? (is the same in the V7's) does the sound of the V7's thru an analogue mixer sound different. Is it like that with the NS6.
soundbiter 7:03 PM - 15 April, 2011
For an audience trying to understand features, I think this video is a good representation of ITCH's capabilities alongside competing controllers. The additional two decks really expand the capabilities for this more controllerist sort performance style, a style that I regularly perform on the NS7 but with less modularity due to there only being 2 decks.

You did a great job with showing a range of features that really make the NS6 shine above other controller offerings.

I think this was an excellent early demonstration of what we can expect from the controller, very, very well done!
djcerla 7:05 PM - 15 April, 2011
Quote:

Numark was happy with the older NS7 stuff I made so they sent one for playing (I hope I can keep it ;-)

Soundwise... the NS6 sound is very loud (master and headphones), well defined with crisp treble. In short, it sounds like a V7. The NS7, in my opinion, still have an edge over everything I have ever tested in studio, with an impressive definition of the low end, punchy sound, still crystal clear treble. I think the idea of Numark engineers was to give the NS7 a "vinyl-like" kind of warmth, while the NS6 has a more contemporary sound. Be warned, this is a totally subjective area.
djcerla 7:10 PM - 15 April, 2011
Has anyone tested my MP3? are the cue points showing up correctly in your ITCH?
Rob Pointer 7:14 PM - 15 April, 2011
for sure. I think that the V7 benefits from being able to run it through whatever mixer might flesh out whatever frequencies you might want to highlight more (in my case, my DJR-400 rotary mixer does a fine job there).

Does it feel portable enough to actually show up to a gig and use (as in, get a big backpack to fit it in?)
djcerla 7:20 PM - 15 April, 2011
It's not VCI-300 portable. Not even close to TWITCH portable. But definitely S4-portable. Just buy that nice Traktor-certified backpack I saw this morning in my inbox and you're done :)
Rob Pointer 7:24 PM - 15 April, 2011
ha ha. nice. that's good to know. I'm thinking that with two Crane stands we might be able to set it up on any DJ booth hopefully (where it is placed over everything else. lol).

The V7 is nice because you can usually just pull out a CDJ. But this might be a bit more trickier.... Still keeping my V7 units though.

BTW, this kind of content is exactly what is needed on that promote itch thread I created. Get people excited this way. Thanks for sharing this. Exciting. Cannot wait for this thing to be available to buy.
zaguama 8:15 PM - 15 April, 2011
that pattern that you do at 3:08 with the synth stabs, i forgot the name of that song from back in the days, is that 666 ?
Rob Pointer 8:25 PM - 15 April, 2011
I'm so going to get one of these. I just watched the video on my iphone. whew. Good stuff.
AT^ 8:27 PM - 15 April, 2011
Thanks for the vid cerla! I lol'ed at the comments. :)

One of the better vids imho showing off the NS6.
djcerla 8:29 PM - 15 April, 2011
@ Rob check it back @ home for the full annotations enchilada :D
haze324 8:51 PM - 15 April, 2011
hahahha......man those dance move of cerla are killer!!!

tight vid man, nice production of it too.
BadBoyChubs 8:58 PM - 15 April, 2011
it that version was 1.7.1 , cerla would have said it, since it is not 1.9 then only one other choice 1.9. backbone for 2.0!
zaguama 9:03 PM - 15 April, 2011
lol, u definitely got a thing with version numbers.
BadBoyChubs 9:59 PM - 15 April, 2011
Quote:
lol, u definitely got a thing with version numbers.

it keeps me entertain til 2.0 hits the streets
, nothing better. it is either that or complain and b*tch like some people
DJ Sergio B 1:04 AM - 16 April, 2011
Nice! Why didn't you rock your i7 Mac? I would've love to hear how the edition of ITCH held up against it/ with it.

Did you notice a performance increase in the Core 2 Duo Chipset?
MusicDan 2:06 AM - 16 April, 2011
You don't have to tell us what version it is, but Cerla can you show us the screen? ;-)
BadBoyChubs 2:17 AM - 16 April, 2011
Quote:
You don't have to tell us what version it is, but Cerla can you show us the screen? ;-)

+1
zaguama 2:58 AM - 16 April, 2011
Quote:
Nice! Why didn't you rock your i7 Mac? I would've love to hear how the edition of ITCH held up against it/ with it.

Did you notice a performance increase in the Core 2 Duo Chipset?

its possible he didnt have it when he recorded the video, doubt he did that overnight ;)
Warren T. 3:00 AM - 16 April, 2011
Perfect marriage of skills & creativity, and translated to a 4 channel setup. I wish more people can do stuff like this instead of complaining how Itch 2.0 sucks blah blah blah, when clearly they have no idea how to push the limits of their current hardware & software.
Djpr1 4:29 AM - 16 April, 2011
Quote:
Has anyone tested my MP3? are the cue points showing up correctly in your ITCH?

Yes sir all cue points show up on Itch...
Ragman 5:35 AM - 16 April, 2011
Quote:
Perfect marriage of skills & creativity, and translated to a 4 channel setup. I wish more people can do stuff like this instead of complaining how Itch 2.0 sucks blah blah blah, when clearly they have no idea how to push the limits of their current hardware & software.

Bingo!
DJdaveZ 6:17 AM - 16 April, 2011
my favorite part... my metronome!!! lol... gotta love the old school tickers. i grew up with one of the weight style metronomes that ticked back and forth. used it for my trombone practicing. now, theres an app for that...

good stuff cerla...
Pete Input 8:17 AM - 16 April, 2011
How about the Slip-button?
Same function as the Pioneer ddj-s1?
kraal 8:21 AM - 16 April, 2011
Quote:

it is 'skip' on the ns6
Pete Input 10:07 AM - 16 April, 2011
I mean the Slip-button next to crossfader.
Skip-button do fast-forward on the beat.
nik39 11:43 AM - 16 April, 2011
djcerla, good stuff. Props on the nice video :)
djcerla 12:11 PM - 16 April, 2011
Quote:

unfortunately, no :(

Quote:
my favorite part... my metronome!!! lol... gotta love the old school tickers. i grew up with one of the weight style metronomes that ticked back and forth. used it for my trombone practicing. now, theres an app for that

fuck the app, I have a wooden one hand-made in Germany, great piece of studio furniture :)
selkie 4:05 PM - 16 April, 2011
Wow, I'm new here, I had no idea who "djcerla" was.

Now I know
kraal 4:08 PM - 16 April, 2011
Quote:
Wow, I'm new here, I had no idea who "djcerla" was.

Now I know

i remember when i first saw hime on these forums and was wondering is that some guy with the same name as the floorfilla ?
DJChad72 4:34 PM - 16 April, 2011
all i can say is wow. I dont know whether to be more impressed with your crazy DJ skills or your diligence with Video bubbles!

NS6 looks fun for sure. I was 100% Numark up until I bought the Xone DX. The NS7 was just not for me. Too big and heavy, and didnt need the touch sensitive platters. EDM only.

Anyway... that was so fantastic I am now late for a haircut. LOL
Ragman 8:30 PM - 16 April, 2011
Just a minor correction. The NS7 does not have touch sensitive platters. More like Direct-drive, motorized turntable platters. Just like a real t/t.
Dj_Nix 9:36 PM - 16 April, 2011
this is a good remix... its hilarious watching cerla bounce around, lmao... the slowmo a few minutes in literally had me on the floor cracking up. manicures rock.
Schuyler 9:41 PM - 16 April, 2011
HARDCORE HOTCUE/PLAY TECHNIQUE.

"Let's see the *instant replay* on that Paul."

:D
DJChad72 11:05 PM - 16 April, 2011
Quote:
Just a minor correction. The NS7 does not have touch sensitive platters. More like Direct-drive, motorized turntable platters. Just like a real t/t.

ya... what he said :)
Rebelguy 12:57 AM - 17 April, 2011
Quote:
Extremely sick but in theory couldn't you do most of the routine on a Xone DX right now?

Bump for my question.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:10 AM - 17 April, 2011
wow

too bad Im not toooo creative lol
DJChad72 2:33 AM - 17 April, 2011
i know, all of a sudden I feel like I should practice more. LOL
djcerla 3:20 AM - 17 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Bump for my question.

Just back from a gig (rocked my V7s and loved them every single second of this 2 hrs set).

Back to your Q: YES you can do a lot with that DX... I personally don't "feel" the Xone much as I don't "feel" the NI S4 (do you like skinny girls/fat girls/men? it's something much beyond your control).

That's why I've posted the MP3s: just try the routine out and have fun ^_^
MusicDan 4:13 AM - 17 April, 2011
So Cerla, did you enjoy your V7s as much as usual, or were they better than ever today for other reasons???
DJ Scaah 8:03 AM - 17 April, 2011
Quote:
that pattern that you do at 3:08 with the synth stabs, i forgot the name of that song from back in the days, is that 666 ?

it was "666 - Alarma"
Watchwww.youtube.com
Rebelguy 9:50 AM - 17 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Bump for my question.

Just back from a gig (rocked my V7s and loved them every single second of this 2 hrs set).

Back to your Q: YES you can do a lot with that DX... I personally don't "feel" the Xone much as I don't "feel" the NI S4 (do you like skinny girls/fat girls/men? it's something much beyond your control).

That's why I've posted the MP3s: just try the routine out and have fun ^_^

I hope you didn't take my question in the wrong way. It was a dope set. Just curious if there were any NS6 specific features uses. That's why I asked.
djcerla 10:39 AM - 17 April, 2011
Quote:
So Cerla, did you enjoy your V7s as much as usual, or were they better than ever today for other reasons???

ahahah no, as much as usual on 1.7.1

@ rebelguy it is a good question and I did take it in the right way :) only, I don't have a DX at hand to try the routine on, that's why I suggested you to try it at home if you have one.
DjBrianDowling 12:03 PM - 17 April, 2011
Hey Cerla,

Well done, great video
Serato, Support
ChrisD 10:09 PM - 17 April, 2011
Awesome vid Cerla.
Solidsnake 5:04 AM - 18 April, 2011
Great work man, I just made a friend convert to ITCH now because of that Video!
TJ56 9:36 AM - 18 April, 2011
Superb work cerla.
By far the best vid/demo i have seen with the ns6.
DJChad72 12:47 PM - 18 April, 2011
Ship him a DX. Lets see what he can do with that?!?! :)
skratchworx 12:56 PM - 18 April, 2011
It's too good demo to be left in this forum. Hope it gets more hits now: www.skratchworx.com
Maskrider 1:09 PM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:

Alarma
djcerla 1:09 PM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:
It's too good demo to be left in this forum. Hope it gets more hits now: www.skratchworx.com

man, thanks a lot... just wow!
Maskrider 1:10 PM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:
Enjoy this 4-decks live remix of "Like a G6" made on the new Numark NS6. That puppy rocks!

Watchwww.youtube.com

You can also download all the tracks and sounds specially crafted for this routine here: files.me.com

Lucky Bastard!!!!.........lol Good Work Man!!! I hope you can keep that puppy you just earned it from this Video.
Maskrider 1:30 PM - 18 April, 2011
After watching this I know what I'm saving for.
zaguama 2:12 PM - 18 April, 2011
+1 to cerla keeping the ns6, hope numark is reading. I'm sure thanks to him a lot of NS7s sold in the past.
Evon 2:43 PM - 18 April, 2011
Awsome vid.
Javier drada 2:56 PM - 18 April, 2011
Just saw that on Skratchworx, very nice.
I1Kirm 3:29 PM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:
+1 to cerla keeping the ns6, hope numark is reading. I'm sure thanks to him a lot of NS7s sold in the past.

+1
I've seen the video several times by now and each one I'm more impressed. The only issue I have is the lack of an ITCH screencast as well. It would have been very nice to see how it all looks on the software side
djcerla 3:31 PM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

+1
I've seen the video several times by now and each one I'm more impressed. The only issue I have is the lack of an ITCH screencast as well. It would have been very nice to see how it all looks on the software side

surprise surprise... actually I have the screen captures... I think you will see them soon (but not on my channel wink wink :)
BadBoyChubs 3:38 PM - 18 April, 2011
Cerla, Seen the Future! cerla is like the newspaper editor , he already knows whats in tomorrow's paper! we jus have to wait til tomorrow to buy it!
DJ Cs 4:00 PM - 18 April, 2011
Cerla, I know you love the V7's like most of us, but I noticed you utilized the 4 track capabilities of the NS6.

"Drums are playing on deck 1, Bass on deck 4 and acappella on deck 3"

Could you duplicate this exact set on the V7 or NS7 with Itch 1.5 or 1.7?

Great use of the added features, can't wait to see what you and others do with the SP6 Sampler and upcoming Bridge capabilities.

The video production is almost as impressive as the set itself.
Schuyler 4:03 PM - 18 April, 2011
I could only see that set working on a 2 deck solution if you combined the 4 "parts" into 2 tracks with more cue points.

Your flexibility would however be killed.

You can also try 2 MacBooks with 2 (or 4) V7s...but you're basically asking (like almost everyone else has asked) if you can control 4 decks with 2 V7s.

My thoughts though, I know you were asking Cerla directly this question.
djcerla 4:12 PM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:
Great use of the added features, can't wait to see what you and others do with the SP6 Sampler and upcoming Bridge capabilities.

can't wait, too, especially for the SP-6... I use samplers in clubs since 1993! Watchwww.youtube.com
Schuyler 4:15 PM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

can't wait, too, especially for the SP-6... I use samplers in clubs since 1993! Watchwww.youtube.com

I lol'ed extremely hard.
DJ Cs 4:17 PM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:
I could only see that set working on a 2 deck solution if you combined the 4 "parts" into 2 tracks with more cue points.

Your flexibility would however be killed.

You can also try 2 MacBooks with 2 (or 4) V7s...but you're basically asking (like almost everyone else has asked) if you can control 4 decks with 2 V7s.

My thoughts though, I know you were asking Cerla directly this question.

Yeah, was thinking the same thing basically "overdubbing" the tracks to use on the two decks.
djcerla 4:20 PM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I lol'ed extremely hard.

other times, other music, other clubs (like 5000 people sometimes on those Spanish saturday afternoons :) thanks to breakermixer for the memorabilia (he was there as a resident DJ)
djcerla 4:21 PM - 18 April, 2011
PS it was a Ensoniq EPS-16 Plus sampling keyboard, 4 MB RAM
Schuyler 4:24 PM - 18 April, 2011
It's amazing to compare technologies of the past to today's. Incredible to look at where we are now. Also keeps me in check to appreciate how much DVS and controller software can do for us now.
djcerla 4:32 PM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:
It's amazing to compare technologies of the past to today's. Incredible to look at where we are now

the weirdest thing is that DJs were squeezing the hell out of those archaic samplers, playing half an hour on a few megabytes, looping stuff, etc, while today's endless possibilities are usually barely scratched.

maybe things are related, for example poor children know their toys inside out, in every smallest detail and get the most out of them, thus stimulating their fantasy, while rich children just want more and more, and get bored soon, stimulating only their growth as compulsive consumers.

that's probably why I feel at home with ITCH: fewer options, a big stimulus for my creativity.
blackavenger 5:15 PM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:
maybe things are related, for example poor children know their toys inside out, in every smallest detail and get the most out of them, thus stimulating their fantasy, while rich children just want more and more, and get bored soon, stimulating only their growth as compulsive consumers.

Damn, that's deep.
Schuyler 5:38 PM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:
that's probably why I feel at home with ITCH: fewer options, a big stimulus for my creativity.

It's not like a trumpet soloist is going to call the manufacturer and ask them to quantize his performances for him!
nik39 7:55 PM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:

Well said.
DJChad72 8:13 PM - 18 April, 2011
Then you have the middle class. They know enough to be dangerous and cant afford the "more and more" part. :)
Rob Pointer 11:01 PM - 18 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Well said.

+1

Dude, I really do have mad respect for this. Great job C. Very motivational on the DJ front as well.
Ragman 4:34 AM - 19 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Summa bitch... Wow who would have thought 1993 could feel so long ago.
Kmxorbit 9:01 AM - 19 April, 2011
@DJ Cerla: Pretty impressive routine. thumbs up.
Ian Williams 2:20 PM - 19 April, 2011
Excellent routine :-)

Quick question.... the meters on the NS6. do they just show the output levels, or do they follow what deck you've got selected to monitor on PFL (both in itch & when using as an analogue mixer).
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 12:43 AM - 21 April, 2011
Wow Cerla, that's a very cool video!
sl1pm4t 1:03 AM - 21 April, 2011
Somebody get that man a beer!
DJ Fez 4:31 AM - 21 April, 2011
well whoever can replicate that on a xone dx will win the competition easily. and he gave us the sound files too....

just kidding, but it did make me just rethink what i had planned. love dj's pushing the limit
DJ Young Herrera 4:33 PM - 26 April, 2011
props. very dope.

quick question: what camera/lens are did you use for that vid?
djcerla 4:44 PM - 26 April, 2011
Quote:
props. very dope.

quick question: what camera/lens are did you use for that vid?

a Canon EOS 60D @ 25fps, 1080p with a Samyang 8mm fisheye (main picture) plus a Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 zoom (closeups). Two 2000W lamps didn't hurt :)
MusicDan 4:47 PM - 26 April, 2011
Quote:
Two 2000W lamps didn't hurt :)

I am surprised you weren't sweating profusely...
djcerla 4:49 PM - 26 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Two 2000W lamps didn't hurt :)

I am surprised you weren't sweating profusely...

I had my AC set to "body builder" :)
MusicDan 4:52 PM - 26 April, 2011
LOL!!!
Rob Pointer 8:13 PM - 26 April, 2011
ha ha. too funny.
DJ Quartz 4:24 AM - 27 April, 2011
That was a very intuitive video Cerla, very well put together.
dj-Yann 10:32 PM - 1 May, 2011
Hi Cerla really great video.I've got a vci300 , i think it's a good contrôler but output level is too low for me can you tell me if ns6 output level Is better?
djcerla 10:34 PM - 1 May, 2011
Quote:
Hi Cerla really great video.I've got a vci300 , i think it's a good contrôler but output level is too low for me can you tell me if ns6 output level Is better?

it's hugely louder
Maskrider 4:02 AM - 2 May, 2011
It's about damn time to upgrade to NS6. I've had my VCI since it came out.
FrankC15 4:13 AM - 2 May, 2011
Quote:

Seriously, get the AC adapter (if you're on an MK2). It makes a very big difference in the sound output.
FrankC15 4:34 AM - 2 May, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
It's amazing to compare technologies of the past to today's. Incredible to look at where we are now

the weirdest thing is that DJs were squeezing the hell out of those archaic samplers, playing half an hour on a few megabytes, looping stuff, etc, while today's endless possibilities are usually barely scratched.

Exactly. That was why I chose itch - because of it's limitations. The limitations are what force you to be truly creative. When you have too many options there are too many opportunities to fudge things - you get to sound awesome without bringing any new ideas to the table. In reality, you're just being lazy. Limitations force you to be creative.
Kmxorbit 5:54 AM - 2 May, 2011
+1: Couldn't agree more...

Quote:
That was why I chose itch - because of it's limitations.

My opinion is: Itch is limited by your own creativity, because everything to create a great mix experience for the crowd (and yourself) is there and available.
FrankC15 5:58 AM - 2 May, 2011
Quote:
+1: Couldn't agree more...

Quote:
That was why I chose itch - because of it's limitations.

My opinion is: Itch is limited by your own creativity, because everything to create a great mix experience for the crowd (and yourself) is there and available.

White Stripes - "Little Room"

Well you're in your little room
and you're working on something good
but if it's really good
you're gonna need a bigger room
and when you're in the bigger room
you might not know what to do
you might have to think of
how you got started in your little room
kraal 11:45 AM - 2 May, 2011
i really dont think more feature stifles creativity ... that is a poor reason to choose something cause it has less features. there are plenty of creative things you can do with all the features of tracktor
Maskrider 5:09 PM - 2 May, 2011
Creativity is only limited by your imagination.
Kmxorbit 6:43 PM - 2 May, 2011
Quote:
i really dont think more feature stifles creativity ... that is a poor reason to choose something cause it has less features. there are plenty of creative things you can do with all the features of tracktor

Personally, I did not choose Itch because it had less options, but because it does what I want it to do, and it does it better job then Traktor or any other brand for my personal taste, needs and feelings.
I also do like the fact it(ch) is straight forward in lay out and functionality. No nonense hard and software <= I like that a lot.
A lot of people seem to forget how easy Itch is in use and setup. That can be a total different experience/story with other DVS software...
Maskrider 8:42 PM - 2 May, 2011
Simplicity and Reliability goes hand and hand when choosing the right tool for any kind of work.
FrankC15 12:34 AM - 3 May, 2011
Quote:

I think it depends on your level of experience. IMO if someone who had never DJed before wanted me to recommend a setup I'd probably say Itch/VCI over Traktor because, at least from a learning perspective, it really forces you to focus on the fundamentals of DJing. I think that's important when starting out because you have to figure out how to get your own "sound" without being able to rely on samples, 4 decks, tons of effects, etc.
DJChad72 2:12 AM - 3 May, 2011
Too many new DJs see a longer list of features and think that they will be instant stars with all those features. But then they completely over/mis apply all those features and then blame the software company for not making it easier for them to be an overnight success.

I think the video that started this thread is proof that you dont need everything in Traktor's arsenal to be great and a superstar. But it does mean you have to understand structure, phrasing, and give forethought as to what to use when and where in the mix. THEN you have to plan and plot the deck, hot cues, and elements needed to execute.

Its like math. Yes you can use excel or a calculator. However if you don't have the basics of how the formula could/should be solved... you will never understand how and when to use Excel or a Calculator. Its the same with DJ software... if you dont understand in EDM there are 4, 8, 16, and 32 count phrases in remixes, and how you can take a 1 or 2 count sample and repeat it on the 1 and 3 or 2 and 4... or use the loop roll to turn a 1 count drum beat into eight, sixteenth, and thirty2nd notes... then I think you will be waiting a long time for the "instant DJ rockstar" button.
kraal 3:30 AM - 3 May, 2011
this video does show case talent.... i just think that saying traktor is crippling cause it has more features is a very odd stance.

if you dont understand in EDM there are 4, 8, 16, and 32 count phrases in remixes

i am quite sure that can be learned independant of the feature set of the software
DJChad72 5:42 AM - 3 May, 2011
I have trained several DJs that were COMPLETELY brand new to the craft. Although they were EDM enthusiasts, they had no idea there was structure, count, and phrasing to 99.9% of the remixes they loved so much. We spent a lot of time counting the 32's. :) They then started to learn how if your next track started on a downbeat of a fresh 32 count phrase of your exiting track, then your mix blends and releases much better.

I am just saying a brand new DJ often does not know the 4, 8, 16, 32 "rules" in mixes, and therefore timing and count on loops and effects are completely foreign concepts to them. If they are trying to master the "32's" in the beginning, do you really think they are ready to tackle things like midi mapping, effects chaining, hot cues, and using a sampler? No, they generally have a hard enough time beat matching for more than 30 seconds, and blending the mix... even visually using the visual waveforms.

I have also had many last minute panicked calls from those DJs because they get lost configuring their laptop for the gig, as well as how to setup their sound cards in the software to match the outputs they connected to the master and headphones. Not to mention even after having their configuration for more than 2 years, still cant change their own MIDI maps.

I would give anything to go back in time and train them originally on ITCH vs VDJ. It would have been a much better experience for them when they bought and maintained their own setup. I think they would feel much more adventurous with other features if they knew every button wasnt a self destruct possibility. :)
Kmxorbit 7:23 AM - 3 May, 2011
DJChad72: exactly what the power of Itch is... No nonsense setup and controlling the essentials of DJ'ing with glance.

It's an evolution on traditional DJ'ing which to my personal taste still gives the best results towards the crowd. A nice mix with some (subtle) fx on the correct moments, and a little bit rearranged song structures when necessary. Itch does a great job for that, because every millisec I have control about that.

I've seen video's on other software where you could not even recognize the original song anymore because of the loop rolls, multichained efx, synced mixed samples etc.
Nice to see for DJ's and showing off to other people for a minute or so, but my experience is that not everyone is waiting for Live remix of their favourite song. In fact, most of the time I experience negative reactions about that...
Maskrider 2:04 PM - 3 May, 2011
This is so true most of them just wanna hear it the way they sound on the radio(top 40) if it's remixed you can see there reaction.
dj-Yann 7:24 PM - 3 May, 2011
Hi again cerla ,CAN you say me if We CAN record mix when using ns6 with external source?
dj_majik 11:24 PM - 5 May, 2011
I have the same question as one of the posters above (I don't think the question was answered) - Does the NS6 come with the same sound card as the NS7?

oh... and the Vid was WICKED!!