DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Real Word Situation - SSL Disappoints :-(

djtonypsalms 10:05 PM - 9 July, 2007
Ok, ok... before I get on with the story, I'm gonna first say that I'm a Rane/Serato Die-hard, love the product and this incident is not going to stop me from using SSL.

I'm ready for the Gig, overviews built, I'm good to go.

That night goes by without a hitch until...

A performer hands me a CD and says play track so & so, then track so & so.

Throw the CD in the lappy and song starts to play. By the mid-way point... SILENCE!!!... WTF!!!

The thing would not track anymore, and I was like SHHIIIIITTTTTT!!!!!

After taking a breath, I composed myself, then realized the Club's CD player was sitting in the booth. I plugged that thing in quick fast, and got the show going.

I know, I know, I shoulda built the overviews before the show, but what do you do when your handed the disk just when the artists is about to perform?

Rane/SSL Geeks & Techs,

May I ask that you please add an auto-overbuild when your importing music from a CD on-the-fly, I think that would be very, very helpful feature.

:-(

NEXT TIME... I'm bringing a portable CD player... just in case.
nik39 10:10 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:

May I ask that you please add an auto-overbuild when your importing music from a CD on-the-fly, I think that would be very, very helpful feature.

Well it does this already.

Not sure what the problem for you was. Maybe some problems reading the CD?
dj cubicle 10:14 PM - 9 July, 2007
My other laptop would freak out when trying to read a CD while using SSL.
Kool DJ Sheak One 10:14 PM - 9 July, 2007
Tony,
You might wanna just copy the songs to your computer, and then import them right quick. Dude can wait a couple minutes.

Also, check the cd for mocos before playing!
dj_soo 10:21 PM - 9 July, 2007
my laptop really doesn't like streaming tunes in serato off CDs - better to just import the tunes to your HD
skoolboy 10:35 PM - 9 July, 2007
NEVER play directly off of the CD! That shit never works.
Audio1 10:51 PM - 9 July, 2007
yup. always rip direct to the laptop then import to Serato. I did the same for my homie Provoked at a performance this weekend outside of LA. Rip/Import/Rock em... show went well!
a-swift 10:55 PM - 9 July, 2007
always rip cd to disk and then play. serato should remove this feature from the product so guys like tony do not get hit with this.
djtonypsalms 10:57 PM - 9 July, 2007
Thanks for the responses...

I'll take all your suggestions in to consideration.

Could be the CD too...

Another solution to the problem would be a "Sound Check" before the show.

D'oh!
DJOJ 11:03 PM - 9 July, 2007
I always try and avoid overloading the cache by doing what's been suggested above. Three 6 Mafia came into my club this Saturday night and their "guy" hands me a CD and says play track 1. They were AFF files. Huge, uncompressed. I popped the CD in and ripped to my HD before loading into Serato. Besides, now I have 6 new Three 6 Mafia tracks before they're ever released.
The Real Cosmo 11:04 PM - 9 July, 2007
Quote:

Another solution to the problem would be a "Sound Check" before the show.

D'oh!

That too.
Audio1 11:13 PM - 9 July, 2007
^^reminds me of them rock sound people who are like "Ill shoot myself in the head first before ever doing a soundcheck for a fuckin hiphop DJ".... Come in DJ AM and Z-Trip... hahah
Djheat1200 11:19 PM - 9 July, 2007
i have played sets for some rappers a few times running right off the cd, never had a problem
djransom 11:48 PM - 9 July, 2007
I've also ran directly off CD as well without issue. *Knocks on wood*
DJOJ 12:02 AM - 10 July, 2007
better safe than sorry. I'm using a core2duo Powerbook Pro and I highly doubt that multi tasking will crash my serato or my mac... but, which one of us really wants to take a chance like that when you have 600 people rocking out in a club at 1AM on a Saturday night?
sixxx 12:04 AM - 10 July, 2007
I think about 20 people already said it... NEVER play directly off the CD. Especially when is two tracks from the same CD on different deck.

Copy to the desktop then import.
a-swift 12:10 AM - 10 July, 2007
Quote:

this is so easy on a mac.
Rob - Low 12:12 AM - 10 July, 2007
Ive always have a problem running off a cd. It works once in a blue on a windows pc with the buffer set high (the far right.)
i cant hardly get it to work at all on a mac book pro.......my suggestion is STAY AWAY FROM THAT FEATURE. Just do what i do, tell them to give you ten minutes to set it up.
djrocket 2:04 AM - 10 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

this is so easy on a mac.

I'm not a Mac buf, but I rip using itunes (I know it's crap, but they should have given me the cd two weeks before), than I move the folder from where itunes imports it to a folder I call "My DJ music" then I maximize Serato and use the import feature to import the entire folder as a crate. Use it, play it, delete after the gig.

Had to do this past sat. on a last minute call, a dj backed out and I was called at 3:00pm with a show time of 5:00pm..
djrocket 2:05 AM - 10 July, 2007
Quote:
Just do what i do, tell them to give you ten minutes to set it up.

I agree
Dj Metro 12:46 PM - 10 July, 2007
click auto build overviews.let it scan and then play it......works 4 me....................fyi still rocking the 1.3
s42000 2:18 PM - 10 July, 2007
Quote:
NEVER play directly off of the CD! That shit never works.

All CD drives are not equal.
I've had some that just crap out SSL while others work like a champ.
SOLUTION : Rip the CD or Use a separate CD player.

I'd never even risk opening my CD drive while SSL is up ... - even if Michael Jackson showed up with a CD and wanted to rock the mic.
J_Static 2:41 PM - 10 July, 2007
Quote:
^^reminds me of them rock sound people who are like "Ill shoot myself in the head first before ever doing a soundcheck for a fuckin hiphop DJ".... Come in DJ AM and Z-Trip... hahah

Audio, you know how many times I've heard soundguys say that!! "Hey what are you spinning tonite?" Replied: "Top40 & Hip-Hop" Response I get: "U can do your own soundcheck!"
Audio1 3:13 PM - 10 July, 2007
^^ thats like legendary around SF. If you arent The Greatful Dead or Sonic Youth, Your not worthy of a soundcheck. Imagine Drum&Bass with no sound check?! haha
J_Static 3:51 PM - 10 July, 2007
^^ Agreed! Been there also
ral 9:53 PM - 11 July, 2007
..sorry to hear that tony!

id been using the cd drive from my lappy, and no probs. but that is minimal.

safest thing is,
- bring a cheap backup cd player
- rip that cd before the performance
Steve_Dub 10:30 PM - 11 July, 2007
SAME THING happened to me when I first got serato and some group handed me their cd to play. Never did that again, now I just drop the tracks on my desktop, import them into SSL and delete the wack ass tracks when they get off the stage.
DeeJay*CASPER 5:03 AM - 12 July, 2007
i've played cd's in serato many many many times.....never a flaw.

you should probably retitle the post.....
'real word situation - my laptop disappoints :-('
boabmatic 11:21 AM - 12 July, 2007
if you get problems playing directly from CD uncheck the 'Autofill overviews' option in the set-up menu.

Its normally that setting which will cause issues when playing direct from CD's
boabmatic 11:22 AM - 12 July, 2007
also increase the audio cache size too
diego vega 3:12 PM - 12 July, 2007
i've had no problems doing this from a CD with my macbook.... ?
diego vega 3:12 PM - 12 July, 2007
even mixing 2 songs at the same time from the same cd...
cappinkirk 7:42 PM - 12 July, 2007
powerbook 1.5 ghz processor had this problem the 1 time i tried it...it was playing the superbowl shuffle remix (Colts vs. Bears) on a cd someone gave me so maybe puty just didn't like the song.

to me it boils down to this...would you rather do something live that may risk a complete shutdown or not attempt that thing if you can easily avoid it?
DJ-A 5:37 PM - 13 July, 2007
Quote:
I think about 20 people already said it... NEVER play directly off the CD. Especially when is two tracks from the same CD on different deck.

what about the feature on Denon 5000 where you can mix from one track to another that is anywhere on the cd.
dj disturbed 6:09 PM - 13 July, 2007
well... what denon does is load the tracks into internal memory..... it does this no matter if you are playing the trackor not.. the issue with serato doing this is... its already loaded the tracks its playing (cashedthem) into internal memory and is using processor time to help with this... by playing off the cd you are loading the files in the memory already being used AND are also limited by the Drives cashe size built into it (wich is normaly 8 or 16 mb)
SELECT 6:12 PM - 13 July, 2007
Quote:

EXACTLY. Ive played CD's plenty of times on my laptop, with Serato running. It also depends on the CD too and how it was burned.
skoolboy 9:18 PM - 13 July, 2007
if you're in the middle of mixing w/ ssl, can you minimize ssl, insert CD, copy tracks to desktop/wherever, eject CD, import tracks, and play tracks?

or are you guys suggesting that you get the CD before the actual gig starts, rip, and then import?

sometimes i get hit in the middle of a gig to play a CD and get real nervous about putting anything in the drive, let alone actually ripping while ssl is running.

thoughts?
sixxx 9:20 PM - 13 July, 2007
Skoolboy,

Yes.

You minimize.
Insert CD.
Copy tracks to desktop.
Eject CD
Import tracks into SSL
sixxx 9:21 PM - 13 July, 2007
MAKE SURE if you're using a mac THAT YOU DON'T LET ITUNES START ON ITS OWN WHEN YOU PUT A CD IN A DRIVE. Or any other program for that matters. You have to disable that feature in iTunes and all the other programs that react to a CD being inserted into the drive.
DJ-A 9:22 PM - 13 July, 2007
^^ i've had a few times where i was into a gig a few hours, took the serato cd out put in another, the cd didnt read it, put the serato cd back in and it didnt read it either... i get nervious when i start to get into a gig and things start heating up
Mr. $weetlife 1:01 PM - 14 July, 2007
I've been handed lots of CD's and this has never happened to me thankfully.
DJBlisk 11:07 PM - 16 July, 2007
Quote:
Skoolboy,

Yes.

You minimize.
Insert CD.
Copy tracks to desktop.
Eject CD
Import tracks into SSL

don't you need to rip the CD tracks into MP3's first before importing into Serato?

now how do you do that and not freeze up your shit?
DJOJ 11:17 PM - 16 July, 2007
Quote:
now how do you do that and not freeze up your shit?

Buy a Mac?
DJBlisk 11:24 PM - 16 July, 2007
hahaha.... soon.... soon... buy i'm on sony right now.
DJOJ 11:53 PM - 16 July, 2007
When you put a CD into the player, does it give you a popup asking you what you want to do with it?

Well, I have always disabled "Auto-Run" on my Windows based system, since, like, Windows 95. The "feature" will, by default, automatically look for a file called Autorun.inf on any CD you pop in to your system — if it finds it, it will execute whatever programs it is instructed. This is a big security issue, as there are a lot of spywares and viruses distributed on CDs—so much so, in fact, Microsoft is disabling it in their next security-focused Windows XP Service Pack 2.

The record companies who are trying to "copy protect" music CDs have really only one option, and this is it: using the autorun file on their music CDs to install their proprietary DRM software. But many people are becoming more vigilant about securing their systems.

To disable AutoRun in Windows XP:

In Windows Click Start, then Click Run

Type regedit
Click OK

Click >
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>
SYSTEM>
CurrentControlSet>
Services>
Cdrom>

^^^ Image: onfinite.com

Double click "Autorun" the value is set to 1 by default, change it to zero.

^^^ Image: onfinite.com

Click OK
Now restart, that's it! That should keep ANY software on your CD from trying to run when you plug it in... and possibly keep you from crashing your POS... er... I mean PC.
Freedom 12:33 AM - 17 July, 2007
No need to Import tracks.

Just load the track from cd onto the deck and have a long track playing on opposite deck.

Watch the SSl build the cd Overview while other track is playing.

Hopefully the track is longer than it takes to build its overview on the fly.
Once overview is built it wont skip.
The E Head 10:35 AM - 18 July, 2007
Quote:

or even real WORLD situation - my laptop disappoints

lol og poster then u! Quality stuff