DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

push button djs, scratch too!

ral 6:44 AM - 10 April, 2011
Dj Corleone508 7:40 AM - 10 April, 2011
i thought it was pretty cool
Sureshot (PA) 7:47 AM - 10 April, 2011
first, i think i'm totally cool with DJs using controllers and pushing buttons. some of them make awesome music and rock crowds. i support that. i don't care what a DJ plays on, it's easy to tell if they are good.

second, just because it reminds you of scratching doesn't mean it sounds like scratching. he's not fooling anyone.
djchope 8:32 AM - 10 April, 2011
its cool..then again i think lots of things are cool.....

i think we should stay away from comparing it to 2 turntables and a mixer type of thing..
he is in his own zone..i didn't enjoy the music, not my cup of tea
djchope 8:33 AM - 10 April, 2011
to be honest i except A LOT from djs that are using midi controllers, auto-sync, effects and all that fancy stuff, so if its not AMAZING im just going to be like bleh
RogerRabbit 9:09 AM - 10 April, 2011
This dude is talented... Even if all he does is push buttons..

Another clip from him : youtu.be
DJ metaphor 9:12 AM - 10 April, 2011
I thought the video was pretty cool from a skillz standpoint. Not my style of choice music that i enjoy listening to.. but overall not bad.
Dj Shamann 9:39 AM - 10 April, 2011
Why is everyone being so PC? That's not scratching, i don't care if he's pushing buttons with scratch sounds, and if "the future is pushing buttons" at the end of the day it isn't scratching because A) it sounds nothing like scratching and B) TO SCRATCH YOU NEED TO PUT YOUR HANDS ON SOMETHING AND MOVE IT BACK AND FORTH.

Personally I thought the two videos I checked by him sounded like noise. I give him props for being creative, I appreciate that he incorporated MIDI instruments other than a dicer or APC40. When he broke out the sax in the other video i gave him thumbs up, but it still sounded like noise. I know...I'm a hater, I need to get with the times, rae rae, rah rah.

But put it this way. if I'm in the studio, I hate synth guitars, yet if someone were to play a serious solo on an keyboard with a VSTi that sounded legit to me I would give him a round of applause. But if he comes to me with the same patch, all notes 127 velocity, no mod wheel, no character, just emulation...I'm not going to dig it. This is how i felt watching this.
RogerRabbit 9:46 AM - 10 April, 2011
Quote:
I know...I'm a hater, I need to get with the times, rae rae, rah rah.

I was going post a reply to you're comments but I see you already wrote what I was thinking..
Dj Shamann 9:49 AM - 10 April, 2011
LOL please tell me you're not serious.
RogerRabbit 9:54 AM - 10 April, 2011
Quote:
LOL please tell me you're not serious.

Yep - I am serious... I think your hating(yeah I know it's an overused word) a bit - cuz your saying its creative but yet it sound like noise...
Dj Shamann 9:56 AM - 10 April, 2011
Just because somebody's being creative doesn't mean they sound good. is this your first time hearing somebody push a button or strum a note?

Jesus.
RogerRabbit 10:02 AM - 10 April, 2011
Nope... It not my first time with any of that... And what sounds good is always subjective - but that not my issue - I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're not giving full props because the dude was pushing buttons....
I just don't get - the "it's creative but doesn't sound good bit" - sound like a contradiction to me..
Dj Shamann 10:05 AM - 10 April, 2011
Dude, if you think I'm hating because he wa pushing buttons you're simple...seriously. read what I wrote and come back at me again.

Wow.
BattleFunk 10:06 AM - 10 April, 2011
Scratch DJ's push buttons too!

Watchwww.youtube.com

=)
Dj Shamann 10:11 AM - 10 April, 2011
Quote:
I just don't get - the "it's creative but doesn't sound good bit" - sound like a contradiction to me..

No shit!!

Like i said, is this you're first time being subjected to somebody hitting a button? Fuck i could show you a dozen musicians I know personally that are phenomenal technically but suck shit when it comes to writing a song, it is what it is.

The thread is called "push button dj's scratch too" it's not scratching, it doesn't sound like scratching...the MIDI horn doesn't sound like a horn. Done deal.

The joke is I just literally finished a set with my rdecks and comp lined up to my maschine and my oxygen and this dude is pulling the tired old "you're hating card"

GTFOH
RogerRabbit 10:12 AM - 10 April, 2011
I that why I said "I could be wrong".. You didn't give in you're post besides the noise bit and "no character, just emulation"...
Dj Shamann 10:14 AM - 10 April, 2011
Dude, I'm nt trying to beef with you at all, but that should have said it all. If a man can play a keyboard and make it sound like the real thing, I will give him props. If he comes to me with the exact same sounds, yet there's no character...i just can't dig it.
RogerRabbit 10:14 AM - 10 April, 2011
Quote:
The joke is I just literally finished a set with my rdecks and comp lined up to my maschine and my oxygen and this dude is pulling the tired old "you're hating card"

Haha - it's the self-fulling prophecy that you created.. You said it and I confirmed your assertions..
Dj Shamann 10:16 AM - 10 April, 2011
And TBH, sonically...it was just too busy..it did not sound good to me. I'm not the only one, but it's 6 in the am and I'm finishing a night so i'm a little more free with my talk.
Dj Shamann 10:17 AM - 10 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Haha - it's the self-fulling prophecy that you created.. You said it and I confirmed your assertions..

LOL
RogerRabbit 10:18 AM - 10 April, 2011
Quote:
Dude, I'm nt trying to beef with you at all, but that should have said it all. If a man can play a keyboard and make it sound like the real thing, I will give him props. If he comes to me with the exact same sounds, yet there's no character...i just can't dig it.

Dude no one is beefing... I am having a conversation... It's not that serious...
RogerRabbit 10:22 AM - 10 April, 2011
Quote:
And TBH, sonically...it was just too busy..it did not sound good to me. I'm not the only one, but it's 6 in the am and I'm finishing a night so i'm a little more free with my talk.

Ok...Yeah I know after 6 am and I havent been to bed since yesterday..
Dj Shamann 10:24 AM - 10 April, 2011
To put it into further perspective, I've seen the video that BattleFunk posted a while back, it's dope. What people forget is the MPC. cats have been pushing buttons from time! I had an XL in the mid 90's...and back then people were shitting on button pushers..and years before that. shit today you can look at any youtube video where a condescending asshole says "pick up an instrument" or "he sure is good at pushing buttons" yet some of the most talented "real" musicians I've ever met is because of the fact that I push buttons and they want to experiment with that in their own music.
Dj Shamann 10:26 AM - 10 April, 2011
Quote:
Dude no one is beefing... I am having a conversation... It's not that serious...

No worries the, it's all shits and giggles.

Quote:

Ok...Yeah I know after 6 am and I havent been to bed since yesterday..

LOL My regular practice.
RogerRabbit 10:31 AM - 10 April, 2011
Quote:
To put it into further perspective, I've seen the video that BattleFunk posted a while back, it's dope. What people forget is the MPC. cats have been pushing buttons from time! I had an XL in the mid 90's...and back then people were shitting on button pushers..and years before that. shit today you can look at any youtube video where a condescending asshole says "pick up an instrument" or "he sure is good at pushing buttons" yet some of the most talented "real" musicians I've ever met is because of the fact that I push buttons and they want to experiment with that in their own music.

Ah ok..I get where you are coming from now...
dj_soo 10:51 AM - 10 April, 2011
lol - i just did a community production/dj forum with Vespers the other week.

not really my style, but he knows his shit about ableton.

definitely not impressed with push-button scratching tho...
Mike_P 2:32 PM - 10 April, 2011
what's so cool about this? my 5yo does the exact same thing with his little DJ toy that has pre programmed scratches in it. from a production standpoint it's not bad. but nothing impressive either.
Logisticalstyles 2:32 PM - 10 April, 2011
I don't see what's so impressive about the video. Those same shitty "scratch" sounds have been programmed into shitty Casio keyboards for decades. Just because he's getting the same sounds from some new MIDI controller people are supposed to give props? He just re-invented the wheel. My son has a Casio with those sounds and it's also MIDI capable.

This kid just taps buttons on beat.
Logisticalstyles 2:32 PM - 10 April, 2011
Mike P gets what I'm saying.
howcome 3:28 PM - 10 April, 2011
That dude is a good remixer/producer but that "scratching" sounds terrible. This reminds me of old fake ass rap songs that were used for commercials. Sampled "scratching" that is quantized perfectly never sounds good. I know this dude is doing it live so its not quantized but it gave me that same vibe. I am usually a critic of the newer type scratches that are so robotic and technical they lose the musical feel but this brings that to an extreme level.
ral 4:52 PM - 10 April, 2011
Quote:
... but he knows his shit about ableton..

you can invite him to this thread i guess

he got mad skills at ableton for sure

he's showing us how the scratchin' sound can be 'copied' thru ableton

trigger ahhhhhh in various cue point location
assign pitch up and down
assign reverse
it would be cool if he rocked the apc fader

oh well..
diamantesound 6:33 PM - 10 April, 2011
IMO lots of people here are so narrow minded and not able to appreciate creativity for what it is. Don't forget when djs first started scratching back in the day they faced the same views many of you are expressing. Guess what djs have been scratching for over 30 years it's about time we are seeing something new. I was born and raised on hip hop and the music this dj played is not my cup of tea but dude has talent
Audio1 5:00 PM - 11 April, 2011
Quote:
Scratch DJ's push buttons too!

Watchwww.youtube.com

=)
I was about to mention this tooo.... PUSHING BUTTONS LIVE!! CUT CHEMIST, NUMARK & SHADOW!
Audio1 5:04 PM - 11 April, 2011
^^^ I like how CUT/NUM/SHADOW incorporate the mixers into their routine.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:44 PM - 11 April, 2011
Quote:
IMO lots of people here are so narrow minded and not able to appreciate creativity for what it is.

whats creative about playing a scratch sample??

This idea def isnt new, i was at a friends gig on st pattys day and i heard him scratching which is something i had never heard him do before so i went up to tell him the scratching sounded mad crisp then looked at his screen and noticed that the scratch patterns were all prerecorded he was just acting like he was doing them and cueing them off
Dj Shamann 5:57 PM - 11 April, 2011
KMadison 7:55 PM - 11 April, 2011

If they make a "breakdancing" app I'm just gonna start smacking the crap out of people.

Look I'm not hating on anybody but from my stand point as a wanna be DJ the thing that made DJing special was the fact that it was difficult to do. It took practice and dedication all these apps and auto mix DJ programs are no different than Auto-Tune in the music industry.
cleq75 6:54 PM - 26 May, 2011
Is that meant to be a subtle reference to this Watchwww.youtube.com ?
Chrisjin 7:22 PM - 26 May, 2011
Quote:

This idea def isnt new, i was at a friends gig on st pattys day and i heard him scratching which is something i had never heard him do before so i went up to tell him the scratching sounded mad crisp then looked at his screen and noticed that the scratch patterns were all prerecorded he was just acting like he was doing them and cueing them off

The anthem for your friend and others that wish to pursue this skill
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Tecniq 8:54 PM - 26 May, 2011
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

discuss
this whole video is just a huge embarrasement..maybe im the only one who actually thinks that. But the button scratches were not even on point. And when he broke out that electronic flute I had to just close my browser. I don't know wtf..I just watched but it was god awful horrible and had cheese writtin all over it. If I ever do this in my videos I give you all the right to slap me in my face. FACEPALM!
DJ Tecniq 8:59 PM - 26 May, 2011
And I'm not being a hater. As a dj spinning for 10 + yrs there's not much skill invovled in that whole entire video. As a real dj I just can't seem to take that video seriously. I think it was quite hilarious. Especially when that electronic flute came out I thought i was going to hear blues traveler..."Buddy ooooo....why u wanna gimme the run around..."
dj_soo 9:02 PM - 26 May, 2011
actually, the electronic sax takes way more skill than most DJs ever do as it's an actual breath controller - you actually have to know how to play a real instrument to use it unlike most DJing.

Vesper's music is definitely not my thing, but trying to claim what he's doing doesn't take skill is pretty inaccurate.

The "scratching" I could probably do without tho, but proper button pushing also takes skill - for instance:

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Tecniq 9:03 PM - 26 May, 2011
After watched that it just made me realise how much i love my turntables :)
dj_soo 9:08 PM - 26 May, 2011
sure, but most of those videos take way more skill than 90% of the DJs I've ever seen. The end result may not be some people's cup of tea, but you can't honestly think that beatmatching takes more skill than building your own beats and tunes on the fly?
DJ Tecniq 9:17 PM - 26 May, 2011
Quote:
sure, but most of those videos take way more skill than 90% of the DJs I've ever seen. The end result may not be some people's cup of tea, but you can't honestly think that beatmatching takes more skill than building your own beats and tunes on the fly?
He's doing that all on ableton. Everythings already planned out and he's just hitting cues..correct? If not then im mistaken. For what he did I guess it does take some skill my bad. I'm just sayin the video didn't impress me as a scratch dj myself. It takes a hell of alot more time and practice to do real scratching. He's pushing buttons for chirst sake that's already pre ready in ableton..The flute part was just awkward. It sounded like a soundtrack to a nintendo game.
dj_soo 9:21 PM - 26 May, 2011
you still have to learn the cues, samples, effects, the order in which to play, compose the beats (this is more for the MPC jam - the vespers things was more a demo than anything).

That's like saying that playing the piano is just pushing buttons and doesn't take skill.
DJ Tecniq 9:32 PM - 26 May, 2011
Quote:
you still have to learn the cues, samples, effects, the order in which to play, compose the beats (this is more for the MPC jam - the vespers things was more a demo than anything).

That's like saying that playing the piano is just pushing buttons and doesn't take skill.
u got a point there. I have played a piano and it takes hella skill. It's just the OL G in me that respect that form of dj'ing more. Maybe my problem is I'm just not able to adapt/recieve to that type of dj'ing. Then again what he did is more from a producers perspective. And that does take skill. I have no idea whatsoever how to use ableton lol..i don't have much patience for it. I've tried it though. I look at the screen and go fuck why do i not have turntables infront of me.
dj_soo 10:06 PM - 26 May, 2011
it took me a hell of a lot longer to learn to produce than it did to learn to dj. It's just way more technical and demanding than 90% of DJs will ever get to.

maybe if we're talking hardcore turntablism that would be one thing, but basic scratches, beatmatching, phrase, and harmonic mixing are really not that hard in the long run...

I can understand pooh-pooh someone just using ableton or traktor to match 2 or 3 tracks and that's it, but once people are actually generating beats on the fly and performing them, you can't really deny the skill - even if the end result isn't your cup of tea...
dj_KaSE 7:07 AM - 28 May, 2011
Holy fuckin shit that was the dumbest, lamest thing I've ever seen.
dj_KaSE 7:08 AM - 28 May, 2011
My hate for Ableton-dependent DJs just grew even more.