Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Musikmesse: Rane SL 2 for Serato Scratch Live

4:08 AM, 6 Apr 2011
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:23 AM - 6 April, 2011
RANE SL-1 DISSCONTINUED then at a guess one way around the intel i series processor issues lol.
rudyhimself 8:26 AM - 6 April, 2011
Price point?
Mr Wilks 8:31 AM - 6 April, 2011
Bye bye SL1... You have served me well :)
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:37 AM - 6 April, 2011
Ebay = 10,000 RANE SL-1's FOR SALE lol
Jimmeh 8:42 AM - 6 April, 2011
@ LJ_WOOLSEY

notice how the problem is with pc's and not macs? the issue fixed by mac with a simple software update... windows was too lazy to do this.
Summonedknight69 8:42 AM - 6 April, 2011
now this is getting out of hand.when did serato become apple, what is the point. sl3,sl4 and now sl2. this better be 400 or less. new flash alot of people are struggling even with two jobs.
Laz219 8:42 AM - 6 April, 2011
End of an era!

Interested to see the price on this too, definitely a well needed update too.
By the way, spec sheet on the rane site for dimensions is tagged as SL-4 on the SL-2 page.
djambesa 8:47 AM - 6 April, 2011
how stupid!!!..sl1-sl3-sl4-ttm57-68....really,,are yall doing like the movies...start midway & go back to the beginning..ridiculous!
eder 8:48 AM - 6 April, 2011
no more thru?
Mr Wilks 8:49 AM - 6 April, 2011
Software based THRU now according to the description. Bonus!
eder 8:51 AM - 6 April, 2011
lol what bonus would that be? I have to either rewire the setup or plug my laptop in if I'd want to spin regular vinyl with one of these.
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:53 AM - 6 April, 2011
SL-1 USB1.1 OLD TECH. SL-3 hang on wait why no SL-2 then THE SL-4, They was always going to replace the SL-1 and Call it the SL-2. now its upto date with the specs to the SL-3 AND SL-4.

Now you will see the same next on the mixer range. Maybe BPM Show OR Namm Show a new 2/3 Channel Mixer. To replace the USB1.1 TTM-57.
Mr Wilks 8:53 AM - 6 April, 2011
Or just press the THRU button in the software like SL3 & SL4 users?
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:55 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
lol what bonus would that be? I have to either rewire the setup or plug my laptop in if I'd want to spin regular vinyl with one of these.

YOU just wire up the SL-2 and plug the PSU in then it auto goes to THRU mode untill you plug you computer in start scratchlive and Press the THRU on the screen to activate Serato scratchlive.
The SMF 8:57 AM - 6 April, 2011
i'll stick to sl1, tried n tested and bombproof, unless a better sl box comes up 4 a steal of a price 2nd hand
Summonedknight69 9:03 AM - 6 April, 2011
yea i know the sl1 is going to be replaced but that is what i thought the sl3 was going to do. then they came out with the sl4 and i was like wtf . then they wont let certain midi controllers control the decks on ssl( while others do) and now this. You can only be so loyal to a company till they start pulling this
ImShifty 9:17 AM - 6 April, 2011
wow...they must be passing the crack pipe around at serato HQ...you guys seen the itch 2.0 thread yet?

This is not winning.
ÐåñK G®øøV€§ 9:18 AM - 6 April, 2011
i dont know why people are so uptite. this product will be more than sufficient. ive used traktor skratch and m audio torq. both are trash compared to my SL3 box... so they updated the SL1 to SL2 made a couple of improvements for the person that cant quite afford the SL3 box. and the SL4 box is for DJ Duos, or better yet people throwing the shows ur playing at, lol, of course that is unless you are still the bedroom dj, then the sl2 is adequate, and the sl3 is the upscale. Rane is constantly making improvements to their products and all you tards can do is complain. shut up already damn. hands down to a superior product. 2 thumbs up 10 stars... to hell with 5. ez.
ÐåñK G®øøV€§ 9:22 AM - 6 April, 2011
and by the way, ive only ever used the SL3 box, so, i dunno if there was a thru button on the box, or wut but to homeboys up there wondering, since the other dude didnt have the cooth to explain, but they probably took the button off the box because the thru button is in the software now. no worries you can still play ur vinyl at the click of a button.
ImShifty 9:23 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
i dont know why people are so uptite. this product will be more than sufficient. ive used traktor skratch and m audio torq. both are trash compared to my SL3 box... so they updated the SL1 to SL2 made a couple of improvements for the person that cant quite afford the SL3 box. and the SL4 box is for DJ Duos, or better yet people throwing the shows ur playing at, lol, of course that is unless you are still the bedroom dj, then the sl2 is adequate, and the sl3 is the upscale. Rane is constantly making improvements to their products and all you tards can do is complain. shut up already damn. hands down to a superior product. 2 thumbs up 10 stars... to hell with 5. ez.

you must be smoking crack yourself to think traktor is crap compared
I felt cheated when I compared the 2
ÐåñK G®øøV€§ 9:26 AM - 6 April, 2011
well maybe if you werent trying to run ur serato on a commodore 64 you wouldnt have a problem. seems you have a fetish with crack. the accuser is always the one thats guilty. my equipment runs seamlessly on my i7.
nik39 9:26 AM - 6 April, 2011
Here is a first video showing the SL2...

Watchwww.youtube.com
Kadilac 9:27 AM - 6 April, 2011
I haven't been excited by a new DJ product in a looong time...*yawn*
ImShifty 9:29 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
well maybe if you werent trying to run ur serato on a commodore 64 you wouldnt have a problem. seems you have a fetish with crack. the accuser is always the one thats guilty. my equipment runs seamlessly on my i7.

really? thats odd cuz traktor has a higher system requirements? you sure you know what youre talking about...put it down
ÐåñK G®øøV€§ 9:29 AM - 6 April, 2011
and now im going to close out this forum. i was only checking my facebook and saw Serato had posted a new product. now im going to go back to my turntables and play music instead of sit here and listen to rich folks children complain about the spoon not being shined enough. what do you expect the interface to do give you a blow job jeez. im out.
ÐåñK G®øøV€§ 9:31 AM - 6 April, 2011
naw its called sarcasm. and umm why be excited about a dj product when you have music.... shady ass folks. oh and by the way if ur a traktor user wtf are you doing on a serato forum crying? they should delete ur account. PEACE
outerdrive 9:34 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:

junk talk
ImShifty 9:35 AM - 6 April, 2011
yea I thought so..you really have no idea what youre talking about
Mr Wilks 9:36 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
and by the way, ive only ever used the SL3 box, so, i dunno if there was a thru button on the box, or wut but to homeboys up there wondering, since the other dude didnt have the cooth to explain, but they probably took the button off the box because the thru button is in the software now. no worries you can still play ur vinyl at the click of a button.

If that was me then not guilty. I said that the THRU ports are now software based. Which is a bonus.

LJ described what it meant in more detail too. No sarcasm meant from me, it's not my nature.

Wilksie
Serato
Aroha 9:40 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Price point?

@rudyhimself

The SL2's US MSRP price is $629, which means street price will be less than that
nik39 9:40 AM - 6 April, 2011
Press conference filmed by DJ Shakyhands

Watchwww.youtube.com
Summonedknight69 9:46 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Price point?

@rudyhimself

The SL2's US MSRP price is $629, which means street price will be less than that

come on for that you just save up for the sl3 or sl4. there is no need for this imo.
Serato
Aroha 9:50 AM - 6 April, 2011
The SL2 is less expensive than what the SL1 was retailing for - MAP price is likely to be around US $499
Dj JesC 9:51 AM - 6 April, 2011
nice!
DannyJ 9:58 AM - 6 April, 2011
Hmmmm So i paid over $1000 for my SL1 and now its worh about 200 bucks! Who will want one now when you can get this for less than $629 and with better sound? I'll be using my SL1 as back up from now on as the Traktor S4 kicks it out of the park.
Summonedknight69 10:02 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
The SL2 is less expensive than what the SL1 was retailing for - MAP price is likely to be around US $499

499 is ok but would hope for 450 as it would be an easy step up. i paid 700 for my sl1 and for the sl2 to come even close to that is a crime. lets hope it goes for 450. come on serato listen to your loyal faithful followers.
LJ_WOOLSEY 10:09 AM - 6 April, 2011
RANE RANE RANE RANE RANE RANE RANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT SERATO! DID I SAY RANE LOL.
Serato
Brigid 10:37 AM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
RANE SL-1 DISSCONTINUED then at a guess one way around the intel i series processor issues lol.

We will be continuing work on existing i Series problems with the SL 1, and will also be continuing to offer support and updates for it.
ekwipt 10:48 AM - 6 April, 2011
Awesome price point
skinnyguy 10:51 AM - 6 April, 2011
so.....the sl2 does NOT have 3 or 4 deck mixing? and is usb 2.0? that's basically it?
skinnyguy 10:52 AM - 6 April, 2011
and does this mean that a ttm58 will be introduced possibly in a year or so? with a bump up to usb 2.0? and split cue?
MADLOGIC the Selectah 11:00 AM - 6 April, 2011
Interesting.
djchriscruz 11:50 AM - 6 April, 2011
I like that the outputs have been simplified into 2. With the Sl1 I always hated having to hook up 4 RCA's.
DJ Litespeid 12:30 PM - 6 April, 2011
Ive been using SL1 forever. Never fails, sounds great...no need to fix it if it's not broken.
DJ_Junior A 12:41 PM - 6 April, 2011
I think there should be some type of upgrade incentive for the SL1 users. Perhaps even a Trade in rebate. Rane could then recycle almost all the metal in the SL1 boxes and re-use. Maybe....just thinking out loud...;-)
dj_KaSE 1:25 PM - 6 April, 2011
USB 2.0 also means setting the latency to 1 on the Mac, right?
wilhaus 1:27 PM - 6 April, 2011
It's funny how some people here feel that it's necessary to post the exact same complaint/comment here AND on the fb page....
feniks 1:28 PM - 6 April, 2011
I saw a mockup of this at NAMM this year. I think it was labeled the new SL1. SL2 makes more sense. Congrats guys (and Brigid)!
JUICE 2:52 PM - 6 April, 2011
STOP CRYING! If your a true DJ it don't matter what SL box you have. If you have skills you will kill it no matter what!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dj Farhan 2:53 PM - 6 April, 2011
so sl1 is done?
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:19 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
so sl1 is done?

yes when stocks have gone thats it it's discontinued.
BUT it will still always work with new version of scratchlive just like the MP-4 still works but was discontinued some time ago.
Dj Farhan 3:24 PM - 6 April, 2011
wow, maybe it will become a collector's item now :P
DJ Super Mario 3:34 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Hmmmm So i paid over $1000 for my SL1 and now its worh about 200 bucks! Who will want one now when you can get this for less than $629 and with better sound? I'll be using my SL1 as back up from now on as the Traktor S4 kicks it out of the park.

You paid over $1000 for an SL1??? I hate to say it, but someone took you for a sucker! I don't EVER remember the SL1 being over $650, even in it's introduction!

I was talking with a friend of mine last night regarding the release of new products, (we were discussing the new Pioneer mixer for Traktor, and the SL2), and I called it exactly as it's happening! I told him the people on these forums will never be happy no matter what you do for them! Everyone was bitching about the SL1 having USB1.1... Rane comes out with an SL2 with USB2.0 and now everyone is bitching about the SL1 that they have only having USB1.1... Everyone was bitching about the SL1 being 16bit audio... Rane came out with the SL2 using 24bit audio and now everyone is bitching about the SL1 being end of life, (even though that product has been around since 2004). So why are people complaining about an update to hardware that is 7 years old which is still not obsolete and very relevant, but could use a core feature/hardware redesign/update while still maintaining the focus of the intended target audience?

Rane/Serato are expanding their product line in order to fill the needs of a diverse group of consumers who could all benefit from the Scratch Live product, but have different needs and price points. And that's exactly what the people on these forums seemed to be expressing they needed.

Seems like some people just want to bitch for the sake of bitching and not look at the overall big picture.
Rob Alahn 4:34 PM - 6 April, 2011
Nik, Feniks & Farhan...everywhere I go in the world of Serato there you are!!! Laserpoint accuracy on your comments and they're humorous too...well worth the price of admission!

Congrats Serato/Rane on the expansion of the SL product line. IMO there's a shoe that fits for the bedroom DJ all the way to the stadium DJ. Well done.
Mr Wilks 4:35 PM - 6 April, 2011
^^^ Good post ^^^
Rick Hodgkins 4:37 PM - 6 April, 2011
Technology changes, most of us embrace it.
That's short money if its going to perfectly "interface" the current software/s with hardware all of the operating systems taking out the choke to usb2.
The environment is hard enough to control, its cheap insurance if you ever had a problems.
Mr Wilks 4:47 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
^^^ Good post ^^^

Oops! This was posted while i was posting.

DJ Super Mario... Good post :)
Rob Alahn 4:52 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
^^^ Good post ^^^

What???? You no likey my postey? lol
FunkyRob 4:52 PM - 6 April, 2011
Most important thing I read was.

"The Rane SL 1 is no longer in production, but owners will continue to receive technical support and free software updates."

If they keep supporting it, the only way I'm getting rid of it is if they pry it from my cold dead fingers.
Rob Alahn 5:03 PM - 6 April, 2011
Gotta love the ongoing support and updates FunkyRob! Love the Ben Stiller movie quote too BTW.
DJ Super Mario 5:09 PM - 6 April, 2011
Thanks Mr Wilks.
Culprit 5:46 PM - 6 April, 2011
I asked the rane reps and they totally denied it at NAMM...
Culprit 5:47 PM - 6 April, 2011
hmm would of been nice to add a aux out at least
nik39 6:15 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Nik, Feniks & Farhan...everywhere I go in the world of Serato there you are!!! Laserpoint accuracy on your comments and they're humorous too...well worth the price of admission!

Lol... were. u at the musikmesse?
Rob Alahn 6:22 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Lol... were. u at the musikmesse?

NAMM was my last public appearance LOL
bdbwoy_step_in 8:40 PM - 6 April, 2011
Wow...so now I will have to see my SL-1 one.....like the other million dj's on Craigslist..lol...but great idea for SL-2.though...

Thanks
thebulge 9:47 PM - 6 April, 2011
I knew this was coming. Flogged my SL1 2 months ago for about $50 less than I paid for it 5 years prior. Bam.
thebulge 9:50 PM - 6 April, 2011
Hint hint. If want to hold the resale value on your ttm57 I'd seriously consider moving it on in the new couple of months.
Rob Alahn 10:49 PM - 6 April, 2011
Quote:
Hint hint. If want to hold the resale value on your ttm57 I'd seriously consider moving it on in the new couple of months.

I couldn't agree more. A bird in the hand...
Dj JesC 1:24 AM - 7 April, 2011
I'm going to setup a "Cash for Serato SL-1" Cart (like cash for gold) at the Montebello Mall in Los Angeles. I'll re-sell the SL-1's on eBay for a fair price. All proceeds goto my Rane 68 fund.

Anyone care to join me?
Mr Wilks 1:55 AM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

^^^ Good post ^^^

What???? You no likey my postey? lol

I sure do!

You get a +1 too as i'd not actually read it and it's a worthy post :)
DJRodrigoSM.br 3:24 AM - 7 April, 2011
I like it. Might just leave my SL-1 at home, plugged and ready, and this one on the road.
DmVinny 3:39 AM - 7 April, 2011
Looks like it's going to be $499.99, if that's true they can keep it, I think the sl2 should be $399.99 at the most. Otherwise just buy a sl3.
richie p 11:17 AM - 7 April, 2011
Where can we price or buy SL2. Every time I look at Guitar Center sites or google SL2, only SL3 information pops up.
supa_o 1:32 PM - 7 April, 2011
Well personally I doubt the issue is really not about the upgrade to 2 but its the fact that after shelling so much on sl1 it seems quite heart breaking the price difference with both and how we are gonna re sell sl 1, who's gonna wanna buy it ???
DmVinny 2:41 PM - 7 April, 2011
Also look at the competing tractor scratch 2 duo with audio 6 (comparable audio and extra in/out audio) for $349.99. Man I really hope rane doesn't jack up the sl2 price.
Warren T. 12:14 AM - 8 April, 2011
I will be rocking my SL1 till the day it dies, not that it ever will given Rane's reputation. But this SL2 is a welcome update to those who only needs 2 decks, and a good quality soundcard. Just because the SL1 is old, it doesn't mean that it's obsolete. I remember the day I first had it, I was like a kid in a candy store. It's always been a solid tool, and that's all that matters to me.
tommytrav 9:57 AM - 8 April, 2011
If I can sell my SL1 box I will upgrade, got the new macbook pro and don't want to worry about crashes and restarts if the usb cable falls out - aka someone pulls it out when drunk ;-)
TcWork 12:33 PM - 10 April, 2011
formula for producing the new sl2.....SL1 + SL3 = SL4 devided by 2 = "SL2"
lperez123 8:26 PM - 22 April, 2011
Where can I purchase one?
Dj Farhan 8:30 PM - 22 April, 2011
lperez123 9:52 PM - 22 April, 2011
i called but they dont have it yet, do you know when?
Dj Farhan 9:54 PM - 22 April, 2011
www.rane.com

^ says it is now shipping, so idk
lperez123 9:55 PM - 22 April, 2011
ok
Dj Farhan 9:56 PM - 22 April, 2011
call rane up if you want
DJ metaphor 6:37 AM - 27 April, 2011
Quote:
I will be rocking my SL1 till the day it dies, not that it ever will given Rane's reputation. But this SL2 is a welcome update to those who only needs 2 decks, and a good quality soundcard. Just because the SL1 is old, it doesn't mean that it's obsolete. I remember the day I first had it, I was like a kid in a candy store. It's always been a solid tool, and that's all that matters to me.

+1
DjTangency 2:11 AM - 4 May, 2011
anyone have a link for a good spec comparison chart between the SL models?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 7:45 PM - 5 May, 2011
Here you go -->> Scratch Live Feature Comparison -->> rane.com
frankkutz 7:07 PM - 6 May, 2011
THE REASON WHY SL3 SUCK ITS BECAUSE IF YOUR COMPUTER CRASHES YOU ARE SCREWED YOU CAN'T SWITCH TO PHONO ON THE MIXER ONLY ON THE COMPUTER... WHEN THE BOX ITS TUCKED IN WITH WIRES THIS CAN BE BUGGY, TO REACH TO TURN THE LINE SWITCH TO PHONO...... I DJED VIDEO WITH THE SL3... AND SHURE ENUF I HAD TO RESTART MY MAC BOOK... THIS WAS EMBARRASSING BECAUSE MY CROWD ALL READY KNOW ME AND THEY YELLED OUT "CUUUULEEEROO'' "CUUUULEEROOO" WITCH MEANS "FUUUUCKER" BUT IN SPANISH... I WAS MIXING HIP HOP AT THAT TIME.. ITS FUNNY BECAUSE SOME OF MY BLACK HOMIES WAS SAYING IT TOO... I HAD TO GET ON THE MIC AND CRACK A FEW JOKES IN SPANISH AND ENGLISH WHILE I PRESS THE POWER BUTTON TO SHUT DOWN AND RESTART THE MAC BOOK PRO... ALL BECAUSE OF HAVING A CORRUPT FILE THAT VIDEO SL DID NOT CORRECT BECAUSE I DO ANALYZE ALL THE MP4 MUSIC VIDEOS.. SO I RETURNED THE SL3 TO GUITAR CENTER.... GOT MY MONEY BACK $657.85 CENTS ... I RATHER KEEP THE CLASSIC... BESIDES THATS RANE AND SERATO BREAD AND BUTTER, AND ARE FAMOUS FOR.... I USE A DDM4000 BERHINGER AND THE MIDI UNOSPORT FROM M-AUDIO ... SO THAT'S HOW I CONTROL THE VIDEO CROSS FADER WITH THE INNOFADER ... PLUS I DO HAVE THE POWER ADAPTER FOR THE SL1 WHICH IS ALL GRAVY... SO THAT'S MY STORY OF THE SL3... PLUS THE SL1 HAS THE MIC TO RECORD THE LAST CALL.. THEN PLAY IT WHEN EVER YOU FEEL LIKE IT... AND IVE SEEN HOW TO RECORD A MIX ON THE MIC... BUT I HAVEN'T TRIED THAT YET. WITH THE SL1 I HAVE THE PHONO AND LINE READY SO IF MY COMPUTER DOES CRASH I USE SOME RECORDS I HAVE IN MY REAL SILVER CRATE WITH NO DEAD AIR.... PLUS I HEARD NO DIFFERENCE IN SOUND... THE 24 BIT ON THE SL3... SOUNDED LIKE THE SL1... ITS HOW GREAT QUALITY MUSIC FILE YOU HAVE ITS WHAT COUNTS...

SO YOU GUYS WANTED THE TRUTH ... YOU GUYS CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH... YOU GUYS ARE NOT GONNA PROFIT OUT OF ME... NOW WHAT I DO MISS IS THAT GUITAR CENTER DOESN'T SELL THE SL1 ANYMORE... WHEN THERE'S A REP THAT DOESN'T DJ AND TRY'S TO SELL ME THE SL3 I LAUGH AT HIM, I REMEMBER "CUUUULERO"...

LETS BRING THE OLD SL1 BACK IN THE SHELF'S ... A-HA.. THAT WOULD BE BY POPULAR DEMAND...
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:23 PM - 6 May, 2011
All you had todo was have the sl-3 box powerd with the psu and unplug tge usb lead from the computer. And you would have been adal to play a normal record. The outputs of the sl-3 are always line out.
DJ metaphor 11:13 PM - 6 May, 2011
holy capslock batman!
Serato
Brigid 11:43 PM - 6 May, 2011
Hey Frankkutz,

Sorry to hear of your trouble with the SL 3. LJ is right, the box will automatically be on "THRU" if the power supply is plugged in. Also, Scratch Live will not fix corrupt files when you analyse files, it will identify them so you can get rid of them.

The sound difference is significant from the SL 1 to SL 3, but it seems like you're happy with the SL 1 and there's nothing wrong with that. If you're looking for something that sounds a bit better, check out the SL 2 - it is a very similar setup to the SL 1, with software THRUs and better sound quality.

In the future, if you have any technical problems, we would be only too happy to help. Our support team is on the forum all the time, and are really good at their job! We want everyone's DJ experience to be problem-free, so again, I'm sorry you had troubles.
DJ O.T 1:26 AM - 10 May, 2011
Quote:
I think there should be some type of upgrade incentive for the SL1 users. Perhaps even a Trade in rebate. Rane could then recycle almost all the metal in the SL1 boxes and re-use. Maybe....just thinking out loud...;-)
DJ O.T 1:29 AM - 10 May, 2011
WORD' something gotta give?
DJ STY 5:08 AM - 18 May, 2011
i love serato,i think its the bests thing they did for djs like me,causes u dont have too carry any more crates,so give serato they respect,with out them everybody will be carrying 20crates to a party.....all im saying is love it or dont buy it.....think god 4 serato..... i love it,n my macbook....
DjOnetime 242 7:53 PM - 4 June, 2011
how to change the color on ok a serato back ground?
frankkutz 9:10 PM - 1 March, 2012
forget all new serato bullshit! i still got my ScratchLive Sl-1 And ive been djing with this since i bought it! man this is a classic piece of equipment! not only is classic but i bought another one on craigslist for $150.00... and the fact that i can run video-sl it's a plus! and still today in night clubs they have sl1... yes new technology! who cares! the only thing that matters is reliable and good music! and now they got this new mixers! what rane needs more money! thats what's happening! I LoVE YOU RANE! SL-1 ROCKS!