DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

WHO'S YOUR FAVORITE DJ, AND WHY

j cue 9:17 PM - 5 July, 2007
just wondering who different dj's influences are, and why that is.im a hiphop club dj, and i would have to name CASHMONEY as my all time favorite dj/entertainer.
nobody can rock a party like him in my book! he got a style all of his own! i recently watched him tear it up in beijing in front of over 2000 people! and it was a joy, and an education to watch!
he has an captivating stage presence, and looks like hes having alot of fun when hes spinning! very important in my opinion.
if you care to comment on who you think is tha shizznit! and why,, please do!
DJBlisk 9:45 PM - 5 July, 2007
J-rocc....

Becuase the dude can mix and has maddddddddddddd steelo.
Audio1 9:46 PM - 5 July, 2007
Tat Money, Nuff Said!
dj hoodat baller 9:47 PM - 5 July, 2007
Me hehehehe
dj hoodat baller 9:49 PM - 5 July, 2007
No for real i have alot of favorite dj's to many to name.
djransom 10:36 PM - 5 July, 2007
Jazzy Jeff
Kid Capri
DJ Jermaine(dj buddy of mine)
DJ Roc(dj buddy of mine)
dj shadow from detroit 10:39 PM - 5 July, 2007
dj wax-tax-n-dre from detroit
he is good all around.
Steve_Dub 11:03 PM - 5 July, 2007
DJ Rectangle.

Vinyl Kombat inspired me to become a DJ.

He is also the only one of my "favorites" that I have never seen live. Everytime he's out here I have a gig or miss him for whatever reason.

Rec is the truth!
Dj Tremendo 11:06 PM - 5 July, 2007
DA ORIGINAL DJ PRECISE because his mixin skills is crazy
allenbina 11:08 PM - 5 July, 2007
Quote:
J-rocc....

Becuase the dude can mix and has maddddddddddddd steelo.

+1. im not exactly sure what steelo means, but his juggling is ridiculously on point
scotty B 11:10 PM - 5 July, 2007
Babu...... He has the funkiest style, and is a well rounded DJ. Dude can battle, rock a crowd, and is 1/3 of the livest Hip hop stage Show. Besides all that he is one of the humblest cats I have met.
dj_soo 11:17 PM - 5 July, 2007
z-trip first guy to show me that a dj didn't have to abide by strict genres. This was long before serato gave everyone access to 1000s of songs and long before the retarded cheesy "mash-up" craze.
sfcraiger 11:18 PM - 5 July, 2007
Quote:
Jazzy Jeff
Kid Capri
DJ Roc(dj buddy of mine)

he asked for ONE DJ not a list. why do people on forums always list their top 10 when we just ask for one?
Kenny Q 11:24 PM - 5 July, 2007
If you are talking about Hip Hop...

I like Jazzy Jeff's style.

Back in the mid eightees I used to record the Mr. Magic's rap attack show with DJ Marley Marl & the Juice Crew (on WBLS) as well as DJ Red Alert and DJ Chuck Chillout on Kiss (I still have these tapes).

I always thought that Marley Marl was much better than the Kiss DJs. Those DJs inspired me a lot as a DJ. I got my first system (in 1984) because of them.

When it comes to House and Techno... There are too many great DJs but I would put Kenny "Dope" Gonzales way up there on my list.

When it comes to DJ entertainers (Bar Mitzvahs)... DJ Jeff Yahney is a lunatic.
Kenny Q 11:26 PM - 5 July, 2007
Quote:
he asked for ONE DJ not a list. why do people on forums always list their top 10 when we just ask for one?

Sorry 'bout that.
DJJOHNNYM 11:44 PM - 5 July, 2007
Grandmaster Flash - Cuz he used my all time favorite record GOOD TIMES to change the DJ world.

Then

Jazzy Jeff - Cuz he used my all time favorite record GOOD TIMES (in a Touch of Jazz) to change the DJ world.
latindj 11:51 PM - 5 July, 2007
Jammaster J

I was 16 at the Raising Hell concert in Oakland, Ca. He's the reason I got into being a Dj.
DJ.ReFRESH 12:29 AM - 6 July, 2007
Melo-D

Can trick mix like J-Rocc, cut on par with D, Q, and Ruck, and rock crowds from the jiggiest to the most backpacker elitist (which is also a nod to his ear for selection).

He was also a contender in the battle scene so you know he has juggling skills as well as a little stage swagger.

All in all, everything a well rounded DJ should be.

Closely followed by Craze and A-Trak.
bandoma 12:43 AM - 6 July, 2007
Quote:
Melo-D

Can trick mix like J-Rocc, cut on par with D, Q, and Ruck, and rock crowds from the jiggiest to the most backpacker elitist (which is also a nod to his ear for selection).

He was also a contender in the battle scene so you know he has juggling skills as well as a little stage swagger.

All in all, everything a well rounded DJ should be.

Closely followed by Craze and A-Trak.

+ 1 melo-d is the man. he's very technical, yet clean. he does it all.
seven2wo 2:22 AM - 6 July, 2007
A Trak

hes well rounded too...killed the battle scene and now hes rockin kanyes shows...im jealous
dj_KaSE 3:24 AM - 6 July, 2007
I used to listen to Melo-D all the time when I start DJ'ing. He's ridiculously fast and technical with his mixing and skratching
djransom 3:33 AM - 6 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Jazzy Jeff
Kid Capri
DJ Roc(dj buddy of mine)

Apparently I don't have 1. Anyway, since we wanna take it take there I'll go with Jazzy Jeff. I've been watchin some of his videos on youtube today and he is one hell of a dj.
Thundercat 3:38 AM - 6 July, 2007
Tough question. Forced to pick? Jeff Townes.
Thundercat 3:39 AM - 6 July, 2007
Oh, the why: Because He's Magnificent! =)
Realseen 4:33 AM - 6 July, 2007
Jazz his style is so clean
bentobox 4:47 AM - 6 July, 2007
+1 for Z-Trip. Skills, innovation in terms of what was "playable" for a primarily hip hop oriented audience, and creativity. Did I mention skills?

Honorable mentions to Craze and Jazzy Jeff.
Kam456 5:54 AM - 6 July, 2007
Craze
Nicky Blunt 10:03 AM - 6 July, 2007
I Like DJ Noize but no-one seems to have mentioned him!

Noize is the ultimate battle dj! His DMC winning set with the Biggie tone is disgusting!!!!!!!!
skinnyguy 12:05 PM - 6 July, 2007
noize vs 8ball at nms was siiiiiiiick

i also like heavygrinder and agent a ;P
Nicky Blunt 12:07 PM - 6 July, 2007
you know noize killed 8ball there!

Dopeness!
DJ GaFFle 1:49 PM - 6 July, 2007
Quote:
dj wax-tax-n-dre from detroit
he is good all around.

Yeah, he's nice.
-----

My All-Time favorite: Jazzy Jeff.

My Most admired: Cash Money and J-Rocc (Their style is flavor). I feel my style is similar to J-Rocc's in the mix (I don't have his skill-level of course).

My Favorite scratcher: Qbert.

Dopest Battle skills: DJ Vajra and Roc Raida (Vajra, the absolute sickest with speed and complexity. Raida is not only funky but uses real 12" songs in his routine instead of pre-made battle records).
djbriguy 4:19 PM - 6 July, 2007
not so much "favorite DJs", but rather, favorite DJ mixtapes:

Funkmaster Flex's 60 Minutes of Funk Vol. I, II, and III
-inspired me to get TT's. The first time i heard him do Soul II Soul Back to Life (track 40 on vol 2) I was hooked.

DJ Rectangle
-Still wow's me everytime i hear him

A-Trak
-In my opinion the best beat juggler. Those two Sweden videos of him are INSANE!

Jam Master Jay
-Because he was raw.

Grandmaster Flash
-Because his simplicity still gets the job done

Jazzy Jeff
-Was hooked after the "I wanna Rock" track
djbriguy 4:20 PM - 6 July, 2007
rip JMJ.
GoodVibez 5:20 PM - 6 July, 2007
Craze

J Rocc
skinnyguy 7:43 PM - 6 July, 2007
oh wait, can't forget supergreg!

#1!
DJ STINKFINGER 7:46 PM - 6 July, 2007
dj smiles... ICHIBAN!
Dj Nyce 2:33 AM - 11 July, 2007
evil dee
peter parker (nyc)
clark kent (nyc)
Maskrider 2:39 AM - 11 July, 2007
Scratch Dj : D Styles
House Dj : Dj Chus & Penn
andrew b 2:43 AM - 11 July, 2007
DJ A.M. dude is THE sickest partyrocker i ever heard.
DJ-GQ 4:01 AM - 11 July, 2007
dj-gq 106.1 kmel jams.....

wait i know this guy?????!!!!!
DJJorel 4:05 AM - 11 July, 2007
DJ Moo of Unique Technique Productions (Carson, CA)

That man taught me a lot more than how to DJ... Rest in peace my brotha!!!
Panic City 6:04 AM - 11 July, 2007
DJ AM does tear a new butthole in everyone everytime hes at pure.
DJJOHNNYM 6:55 AM - 11 July, 2007
Quote:
Dopest Battle skills: DJ Vajra and Roc Raida (Vajra, the absolute sickest with speed and complexity.

YEAH MAN! That Vajra dude is CRAZY, and isn't doing any crabs, orbits or any new fangled scratches....Just straight cuts! ON A DAMN TECHNICS BATTLE JOINT!

Quote:

Raida is not only funky but uses real 12" songs in his routine instead of pre-made battle records).

I ain't that crazy about Raida, BUT using REAL 12" songs is Grade A in my book....

Then again, I was PISSED THE FUCK OFF, when I saw him backspinning Good Times, but it was really "Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels Of Steel", and him using a section that included a part of FLASH actually cutting in his routine. I was like, awww man, He's Cheating! Then all of a sudden, all these battle records came out...

I blame Raider for that.
dreamkast 7:16 AM - 11 July, 2007
mmm
The Real Cosmo 10:42 AM - 11 July, 2007
Quote:
z-trip first guy to show me that a dj didn't have to abide by strict genres. This was long before serato gave everyone access to 1000s of songs and long before the retarded cheesy "mash-up" craze.

Sharp left turns that always keep a crowd guessing. Gotta love his attitude too. And how many other DJs that cut, scratch, mix and blend get to play a set to 500,000 people that have come to see the rolling stones - and has all of THEM rocking?

For battles its DJ Noise every time. Any DJ that can make one of the Piklz look silly (vs Shortcut for world supremecy) has to be pretty sick. Plus he's the one of the only battle DJs I've seen that I'd want to see play a whole hour or so.
FlexyD 11:04 AM - 11 July, 2007
Quote:
Babu...... He has the funkiest style, and is a well rounded DJ. Dude can battle, rock a crowd, and is 1/3 of the livest Hip hop stage Show. Besides all that he is one of the humblest cats I have met.

cosign, Babu is too ill in my book and one of the nicest dudes you will ever meet. Close second: Craze also very nice in person.
Loopman 11:57 AM - 11 July, 2007
For me Jazzy Jeff is my favorite Dj of all time.. I played with him 2 times and I never stops to amaze me :)

but Dj Spinbad and Dj Atrak might be the best djs out there, they are sick and if they had Jazzy's fame
Loopman 11:58 AM - 11 July, 2007
ofcourse I ment he never stops to amaze me :D
DJ AM 2:20 PM - 11 July, 2007
THANK YOU Andrew.. Your trippin, but thank you! hahahah DJ CRAZE gets my vote.. The illest who ever done it
DJ-A 2:24 PM - 11 July, 2007
^^i'll vote for you because of your creativity. other people have mad tallent too, but the things you come up with keep me always wanting to hear more
tig ol' bitties 2:27 PM - 11 July, 2007
It terms of Flamboyancy - A-Trak...Dude does it all and he just looks like a big ol pimp everytime he's behind the wheels.

In Terms of seeing a DJ showcase many skills at once in a party type environment - DJ AM for sure. The 2 nights I saw him at Gypsy Bar in Boston were fuckin unreal.

In terms of just a dirty ol hip hop DJ - Jazzy Jeff and DJ Babu.
tig ol' bitties 2:34 PM - 11 July, 2007
Quote:
THANK YOU Andrew.. Your trippin, but thank you! hahahah DJ CRAZE gets my vote.. The illest who ever done it

I hope to check this mofo out in the near future...does homeboy ever come to the east coast?
Crickett 2:51 PM - 11 July, 2007
I would have to say...Bad boy bill here in Chicago.
When I saw a House DJ tear it up at the 89 DMC battles I thought..

Hmmm....I can do that shit.

A house DJ breakin hip hop beats??

That shit was tight.

Started right after that.
De LA 3:30 PM - 11 July, 2007
ZTrip.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:31 PM - 11 July, 2007
^^^ Honestly I would say Bad Boy Bill is also one of my favorites. I knew him personally from promoting Detroit records back in the day. I was also there in '89 helped to pull that whole DMC battle thing together with Tony Bitoy. He did break some ground at the time.

Also appreciate Derrick May and a local cat here in Detroit called Gary Chandler who has mad skills but got lazy in his "old age".
AMF 3:36 PM - 11 July, 2007
Gary has been slacking a bit recently. But when he try, he is a BEAST (club wise).
sweetL 3:45 PM - 11 July, 2007
jazzy jeff, aint never seen anyone rock a party like jeff, rocking hiphop, house, whatever he feels, with mad skills. (sometimes, literally! lol)
RnBDJkb 3:56 PM - 11 July, 2007
G-M Flash and JMJ my favorites from the old skool.
I do co-sign on the Detroit DJs mentioned here.
I saw wax-tax-n-dre's battle back in the day when he scratched up "Notorious"...Dude was hella nervous but still killed it.
DJ Art, say it ain't so....Gary Chandler got lazy on the ones+twos?? We used to hang out quite a bit on 7 mile with G-Raw Grant G.
Other honorable mentions from that area with mad skills include Earl-mixin-McKinney,DJ Fingers,La-rock,DJ whiz just to name a few.
I also want to mention the Godfather Tyrone Bradley in Detroit.
What he impressed upon me most was the business sense DJs need beyond their technical skills. Much love and respect to him for that.
ILLZ 5:23 PM - 11 July, 2007
Jazzy Jeff - Too many reasons to name but a big one for me is the way he feeds off the crowd's energy

Starting from Scratch - this guy's just disgusting PERIOD his live remixing is retarddddded and he can rip ANY genre of music.

Spinbad - his intro's are ridiculous

Capital J - Crazy stage presence

There's more but that's all I can think of right now
AMF 5:26 PM - 11 July, 2007
Damn RnBDJkb, if I ever had any doubt u was from Detroit, this post cleared that up. Everyone of these dudes just screams DETROIT!
shiestO! 5:34 PM - 11 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

cosign, Babu is too ill in my book and one of the nicest dudes you will ever meet. Close second: Craze also very nice in person.

craze is such a tiny dude!

i can't really think of my favorite dj shit is too hard. craze is a badass tho... so is roc raida

calyx is the man in DNB imo but i never got to see him play
DJ GaFFle 5:44 PM - 11 July, 2007
Quote:

Then again, I was PISSED THE FUCK OFF, when I saw him backspinning Good Times, but it was really "Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels Of Steel", and him using a section that included a part of FLASH actually cutting in his routine. I was like, awww man, He's Cheating! Then all of a sudden, all these battle records came out...

I blame Raider for that.

GMF on the Wheels of Steel is not a battle record. Consider it a 12", a remix or megamix but not a battle record. My favorite Roc Raida routine was his '95 USA finals routine of "I Got to Have It"...
DJ-GQ 5:47 PM - 11 July, 2007
it's coo to idolize someone else but

"remember to be the best you have to think you are the best!!!"

words of wisdom.

don't let the music play you, play the music, make them want the music...
RnBDJkb 6:01 PM - 11 July, 2007
Beam me up to Detroit AMF!
303 to da 313, word!
TheMightyThor 6:04 PM - 11 July, 2007
Revolution,Babu,Spinbad,and D-Styles.
why? cuz they're all dope.
DJJOHNNYM 6:05 PM - 11 July, 2007
Quote:

GMF on the Wheels of Steel is not a battle record. Consider it a 12", a remix or megamix but not a battle record. My favorite Roc Raida routine was his '95 USA finals routine of "I Got to Have It"...

I never said it was a "Battle Record". I said AFTER he used it, all these BATTLE RECORDS came out. I personally think DJ's saw that it was ok to use a portion of a "PRESCRATCHED" record in their routines. If you look at that routine he did, he did the regular backspins, behind the back, under the leg moves, but catching it where "FLASH" was actually doing the cutting made it SOUND so much more "Intricate" at the time.

I still call it cheating, but I've seen him do some FUNKY SHIT tho....

"I'm Gonna Make It Funky.....

For You".
DJTJ 8:34 PM - 11 July, 2007
jazzy jeff... cause hes insane, and a hell of a nice guy to hang out with
tig ol' bitties 8:34 PM - 11 July, 2007
Quote:
jazzy jeff... cause hes insane, and a hell of a nice guy to hang out with

that skit on his new album with Will Smith is too funny.
DJ.ReFRESH 8:37 PM - 11 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I never said it was a "Battle Record". I said AFTER he used it, all these BATTLE RECORDS came out. I personally think DJ's saw that it was ok to use a portion of a "PRESCRATCHED" record in their routines. If you look at that routine he did, he did the regular backspins, behind the back, under the leg moves, but catching it where "FLASH" was actually doing the cutting made it SOUND so much more "Intricate" at the time.

I still call it cheating, but I've seen him do some FUNKY SHIT tho....

"I'm Gonna Make It Funky.....

For You".

It's not "cheating" if the scratch sounds were helping his composition and he wasn't just using them to make it look like he was scratching.

Given that usage, what is wrong with DJs using "PRESCRATCHED" records?

Isn't it similar to how mp3-based DJs used pre-mixed (whether their own or someone else's) songs in their sets?
s42000 8:45 PM - 11 July, 2007
This is kinda tough .... mmmmmmmmhhh

DJ Roman Zerano or DJ SW-1

I dont know mang .....
poloi3eai2 9:00 PM - 11 July, 2007
Mix Master Mike - Because he's an ill turntablist and he can still rock a crowd. I still have yet to hear anyone that can scratch like him. While everybody is try to do fast ass 5 click flares and super chirps Mike just comes up with some weird ass scratches that nobody else can do.
DJJOHNNYM 9:14 PM - 11 July, 2007
Quote:

It's not "cheating" if the scratch sounds were helping his composition and he wasn't just using them to make it look like he was scratching.

Given that usage, what is wrong with DJs using "PRESCRATCHED" records?

Isn't it similar to how mp3-based DJs used pre-mixed (whether their own or someone else's) songs in their sets?

In MY OPINION, him rocking THAT part of the song was cheating, because it sounded like he was backspinning MULTIPLE tuntables, vs. just the 2.

And YES, using PRESCRATCHED-REMASHED/REMIXED songs IS cheating in my eyes unless you can do it LIVE. Roc Raider would not have been able to accomplish that sound w/out those "PRESCRATCHED" records.

You can DO the Grandmaster Flash rountine live though.
scotty B 10:18 PM - 11 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Babs never stops impressing me...His production is getting top notch too. Dilated as a whole puts heart into their music, and it creates this feeling that I don't have with a lot of other artists. Babs is the backbone of that group. No Stage Prop DJ man... He Does everything Live just like on the record. When he rocks a party... Dudes got good selection from funky to gutter and Back. I think any of the Beat Junkies are up there. By far my favorite crew.
KaGeN 10:21 PM - 11 July, 2007
Quote:
This is kinda tough .... mmmmmmmmhhh

DJ Roman Zerano or DJ SW-1

I dont know mang .....

hmmmm, this is very tough
dirtbag filthy 10:49 PM - 11 July, 2007
jazzy jeff
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:43 AM - 12 July, 2007
Quote:
DJ Art, say it ain't so....Gary Chandler got lazy on the ones+twos?? We used to hang out quite a bit on 7 mile with G-Raw Grant G.

You have probably known Gary for quite a while and if you know Detroit we are (or were unique). Think about those Soul Night parties from MANY years back, crowds loved House, Bass, Rap, everything in one night.

Gary has been doing it for almost as long as I have (20+ years) and the thing that impressed me about Gary, he could mix and blend his ass off like the BEST of the House DJ's and out scratch (ALMOST- see below) any DJ in the city The thing I liked about Gary was that he wasn't afraid to scratch and cut House and mix/blend Rap and do it well.

Funny the only time Gary was unsure of himself was when he had to battle DJ Shotgun (went on to be Outkast's DJ in ATL) who was like on par with DJ Craze before Craze hit. I still fuck with him about that to this day.

I think Gary is using CDJ's now instead of Serato Vinyl. He's still sweet but it's like Michael Jordan playing baseball - just not the same.
DJ-GQ 2:38 AM - 12 July, 2007
Grandmaster flash is actually claimed to be the starter of the dj world... if it had to be my fav... beside me that's who'd i choose.

the first actuall dj.... Grand Master flash... and hints the term on your tenqics 1210's grand master......???? hm dj knowlogde... them there came grandmaster j... r.i.p.!!!!!!!!
DJ-GQ 2:38 AM - 12 July, 2007
dam it... i meant jam master j....
DJ FLATLINE 4:27 AM - 12 July, 2007
My favourite all time Dj would have to be DJ STARTING FROM SCRATCH...This man is rediculous and doesn't have off nights...EVER!!!.. He really knows the music too.
RnBDJkb 4:06 PM - 12 July, 2007
You took me back with that one, Dj ArtP.P.
Soul Night..haha Do you remember when it was on late night TV in Detroit? That sh*t was fresh back then.
Art do you know if Hump-the-Grinder still does the Hair Wars up there in the "D"? I remember when Gary rocked the crowd at the Hair Wars with his famous "I'm the King of Rock" scratch down at St Andrews Hall. Me and Proof hung out that night and he had me cracking up all night.
Hump used to always show the DJs love on his show. I used to do alot of those hair salon mixtapes.

Classic quote:if you know Detroit we are (or were unique).
djscottyfox 4:17 PM - 12 July, 2007
chris the rebel and jazzy jim were always favorites of mine here in the bay area. Derek D and Prince K (Sunil Kapadia - percussionsf.com) also.
Crown 4:30 PM - 12 July, 2007
Cut Chemist.

Sick producer, mad-funky/original scratches, definately did his thing with Jurassic 5 (and wisely abandoned ship before their last god-awful album) and now is making moves as a solo artist (i was really feeling "audience listening".

that's my vote.
Likwid 5:58 PM - 12 July, 2007
Quote:
My favourite all time Dj would have to be DJ STARTING FROM SCRATCH...This man is rediculous and doesn't have off nights...EVER!!!.. He really knows the music too.

co-sign.

Too bad he's not that well known outside of Toronto. Baby Yu can kill it too.
DJBlisk 6:33 PM - 12 July, 2007
I might be in toronto in a couple of months. you toronto dudes need to take me around. I always end up at wack clubs there.
djgs 6:43 PM - 12 July, 2007
jazzy jeff all the way

play with him a couple of times and he still amazes me
Likwid 8:17 PM - 12 July, 2007
Quote:
I might be in toronto in a couple of months. you toronto dudes need to take me around. I always end up at wack clubs there.

I'd hook you up, but I'm not out there anymore. There are tons of good spots out there though.
Fishr Pryce 8:27 PM - 12 July, 2007
DJ Z-Trip, and DJ P
DJBlisk 9:29 PM - 12 July, 2007
Finally someone said DJ P! props.
DJBlisk 9:30 PM - 12 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I'd hook you up, but I'm not out there anymore. There are tons of good spots out there though.

Really? everywhere I went either had some dress code, or it was really young and ghetto, or if it was hard to get into, the club had a lot of..... what do you guys call them out there.... GINO's! thats it.
Likwid 9:41 PM - 12 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Really? everywhere I went either had some dress code, or it was really young and ghetto, or if it was hard to get into, the club had a lot of..... what do you guys call them out there.... GINO's! thats it.

Well yeah, thats exactly it -- if it doesn't have a dress code, the young wanna-be thug's with the tall T's come. So its worth your time to throw on some nice shoes. And you'll find the Gino's at the EDM jams.
sixxx 9:43 PM - 12 July, 2007
After thinking about this for a while, I've came to the conclusion that my favorite DJ is me. Fuck everyone else... including you.

:P
DJ.ReFRESH 9:53 PM - 12 July, 2007
Quote:
After thinking about this for a while, I've came to the conclusion that my favorite DJ is me. Fuck everyone else... including you.

I'd be my favorite DJ too if no real talent ever made it out to the sticks.

sixxx 9:55 PM - 12 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I'd be my favorite DJ too if no real talent ever made it out to the sticks.

You must be thinking popsicle sticks... you funny you. lol
DJBlisk 9:56 PM - 12 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well yeah, thats exactly it -- if it doesn't have a dress code, the young wanna-be thug's with the tall T's come. So its worth your time to throw on some nice shoes. And you'll find the Gino's at the EDM jams.

hahaha. you're right. I'm used to LA.
dj_soo 10:04 PM - 12 July, 2007
Quote:
Finally someone said DJ P! props.

P never gets enough love
Kool DJ Sheak One 10:06 PM - 12 July, 2007
Quote:

Me too, not you, me.
If you don't think so. Come check me out. I will be your new favorite dj.
There might be other cats that are dope and whatnot, but I dig my style the best.
I have never seen or heard a dj as diverse as me.
Cats are pigeon-holed in their genre.
"Im a rap dj"
"Im an EDM dj"
Fuck that.

I play dope music, period.
sixxx 10:07 PM - 12 July, 2007
Here comes the ego wagon. :)

I'm the DJ's DJ.
Kool DJ Sheak One 10:09 PM - 12 July, 2007
Im the DJ's DJ's DJ :P
dj shadow from detroit 10:09 PM - 12 July, 2007
dj lynn swann from here in detroit is the best battle dj in michigan.
and wax tax n dre is the best all around dj here in detroit.
sixxx 10:10 PM - 12 July, 2007
Who's waxed back? lol
dj nick dean 10:18 PM - 12 July, 2007
dj vice. I'm sure there are others who are "technically" better then vice but I always feel his track selection. I've also noticed that he can take a song I previously thought I hated and by the way he mixes somehow make me like it, pretty sick.
Steve_Dub 10:19 PM - 12 July, 2007
Vice is awesome, he's probly #2 on my list.
DJ.ReFRESH 10:27 PM - 12 July, 2007
^^ Yup. Top 100 fo sho
Likwid 2:29 PM - 13 July, 2007
Lots of love for Wax Tax i see. Is he down on the station that does the Mixxin Impossible weekend? I was back in the D last weekend and caught a lot of it. I love that thing.
DJ GaFFle 5:52 PM - 13 July, 2007
Quote:

Funny the only time Gary was unsure of himself was when he had to battle DJ Shotgun (went on to be Outkast's DJ in ATL) who was like on par with DJ Craze before Craze hit. I still fuck with him about that to this day.

Shotgun is my boy. I used to practice with him when he lived in the Atl. We'd sometimes meet up with Craze and practice when he came to town. At that point, Craze had yet to hit his stride with the world-caliber skills. Boy, what a difference a couple of years makes...
DjRekTek 6:12 AM - 14 July, 2007
The fly azz dude that spun on "In Living Color"...I forget his name but fly boy opposite the fly girls wuz off da chain!!!!!!
DJ-A 6:53 AM - 14 July, 2007
Quote:
The fly azz dude that spun on "In Living Color"...I forget his name but fly boy opposite the fly girls wuz off da chain!!!!!!

any idea where i can get the theme song?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:57 AM - 14 July, 2007
Quote:
You took me back with that one, Dj ArtP.P.
Soul Night..haha Do you remember when it was on late night TV in Detroit? That sh*t was fresh back then.
Art do you know if Hump-the-Grinder still does the Hair Wars up there in the "D"?

Man, quiet as it's kept, Hump The Grinder was one of the reasons why I became a DJ but NOT in a good way. I was a freshman at Eastern Michigan University (way back in the day) and had my first experience with a Black Frat Party/Icebreaker. You've got all these college Frats and Sorors Stepping around the outside of the room, while people are gigging on the floor. He was playing popular shit from that radio at the time but he didn't mix. He would let the record end and start another. Frats would stop stepping and wait for the next song, it was sad. I started thinking, a DJ with ANY skills would get paid up here. I couldn't believe that shit. It was acceptable?

That was probably my first and last frat party that year. I spent my weekends driving back to Detroit and hanging out in the "prepy club scene". I soon met Derrick May and Juan Atkins (originators of techno before Techno was Techno) and just used to sit and observe what they were doing. I bought a cheap pair of Technics Direct Drive tables and a mixer and started to learn. Sounded like shit, The key was the 1200, so 6 months later my boy and I split a pair and when he came to Eastern in the fall we started DJ-ing. We got our first break in Jan and never looked back,

Funny thing is next summer Derrick and Juan found out we had 1200's (they were using a Technics B1 and a d202) so they asked us to rent the 1200's to them when they had gigs and soon after we became a part of their sound company Deep Space.

BTW, I haven't heard about a hair wars in the D in a few years but I haven't been looking (they went National so I think they do it in other states now). Hump got paid with that Grind, I ain't mad at him.

Quote:
dj lynn swann from here in detroit is the best battle dj in michigan.
and wax tax n dre is the best all around dj here in detroit.

Yeah Lynn is the shit, I'm cool with his boy Daddy Riff from the 12 Tech Mob. I have to listen to wax tax n dre, I think I am usually at the club when he is on I think. My boy was just saying he is the best of all the DJ's currently on the radio,
DjRekTek 10:01 AM - 14 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Heavy D.........
DjRekTek 10:01 AM - 14 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Heavy D.........

and...are you serious?
E-Double 10:20 AM - 14 July, 2007
Quote:
I soon met Derrick May and Juan Atkins (originators of techno before Techno was Techno) and just used to sit and observe what they were doing. I bought a cheap pair of Technics Direct Drive tables and a mixer and started to learn. Sounded like shit, The key was the 1200, so 6 months later my boy and I split a pair and when he came to Eastern in the fall we started DJ-ing. We got our first break in Jan and never looked back,

Funny thing is next summer Derrick and Juan found out we had 1200's (they were using a Technics B1 and a d202) so they asked us to rent the 1200's to them when they had gigs and soon after we became a part of their sound company Deep Space.

I don't know if any of these youg'ns really know how cool of an experience this is. Long live Detroit Techno!!! I envy you Mr. Payne : )
E-Double 10:31 AM - 14 July, 2007
My favorite jocks:

Farley "Jackmaster" Funk-Straight jackin' the house beats: Disco, Chicago House & Acid, Italo Disco & more. Farley's WBMX mixes always leave me floored.

Bad Boy Bill: Still as relevant today as he was during his B-96 days. Dude is pushing the envelope with his "Behind The Decks Live" concept...

Cash Money: The video of him at the '88 DMC World Finals made me a fan. Straight OG B-Boy shit right there...
DjKidblast 11:02 AM - 14 July, 2007
Craze '98 DMC routine (best ever?)
Dj Kimozave 12:49 PM - 14 July, 2007
Terminator X
B-Moore 4:49 PM - 14 July, 2007
Diplo
CoolAarow 1:21 PM - 15 July, 2007
Funk:DJ Jazzy Jeff
House:DJ Sneak
Breaks:Simply Jeff,Adam Freeland
Turntablism:DJ Shadow,Craze
All Around DJ:Giles Peterson
Respect: Afrika Bambatta!
tdo 3:32 PM - 15 July, 2007
Easygroove - you never know what he'll play but it'll be a journey!
RoBb 6:26 PM - 16 July, 2007
DJ Spin One - La Kalle 105.9
s42000 6:33 PM - 16 July, 2007
Quote:
The fly azz dude that spun on "In Living Color"..!!

You mean DJ SW-1 ???? LOL That is one heck of A DJ.
j cue 6:05 AM - 15 August, 2007
Quote:
DJ Rectangle.

Vinyl Kombat inspired me to become a DJ.

He is also the only one of my "favorites" that I have never seen live. Everytime he's out here I have a gig or miss him for whatever reason.

Rec is the truth!

have to agree , rec is sick,,when he's sober! haha. worked with him last year,, and again this coming saturday! cant wait1
bumpsdick 11:50 AM - 15 August, 2007
Too many to answer this seriously! Instead I'll say D.J. Tanner from Full House. She was fine as hell when I was like 9. ;p

(But just to be a good sport I'll say J.Rocc)
Mr. $weetlife 1:46 AM - 16 August, 2007
Even though I DESPISE Numark the company, I LOVE DJ Nu-Mark!

Sorry, had to get a dig at them again...
latindj 5:33 PM - 16 August, 2007
Sixxx, cuz he wins battles! :P
djmarvel 6:05 PM - 16 August, 2007
hands down dj p, dude is incredibly dope and still doing it with just records no serato.

baby g is also a fav or mine dope party rocker

dstyles he dont party rock but is the illest scratch dj in the world
dj shadow from detroit 6:43 PM - 16 August, 2007
i agree with the d styles comment he is sick ( probably the best rhythm scratcher ) in the world.

i have to say dj ztrip,dj jazzy jeff and dj am. is some of my favorite's
dj ztrip does mash ups live without a laptop and he rock's the mic. ( even if he used serato he would be the same ). lol!
DJ Autograph 6:50 PM - 16 August, 2007
- DJ Playtime (Buddy of mine) Taught me how to scratch and the fundamentals of the business when I was FOB from the island.

- Kid Capri. Pioneer in the game with a voice that can cut glass. Very few can rock a party like this man.

- Craze cause of his technical skills.

- C.S. Taught me how to rock a party NYC style

- Collin Hinds (Jamaican DJ). Musical knowledge like no other. This man can play almost anything. He inspired me to be a DJ.

And last but not least A.M. He mixes musical knowledge with the technical aspect of DJing.
grrillatactics 7:20 PM - 16 August, 2007
I can't say that I have just one favorite, but I do have a favorite for different skills/styles.

For straight-up battling: DJ Noize. Hands down the best at finding samples and phrases to cut down the competition, clean and precise juggles, and solid cuts. Great stage presence to boot.

For cutting/scratching: QBert. He can cut and cut and cut, and it pretty much always sounds good.

All around turntablism: DJ A-Trak. Kid has done it all and done it well, from battling, to showcases, to rocking crowds, to building tracks from "scratch" to performing with Kanye, to studio cuts for Common's Be album (among others), to working on his own projects on the side.

Straight mixing: Andy C. The Executioner is a machine when it comes to throwing down dnb sets, and covers many subgenres in his sets whereas a lot of big-name dnb guys stick to only 1 or 2 subgenres. After hearing Nightlife Vol. 1, I had to go back to the drawing board and re-learn how to mix...

And for all-around DJing: Z-Trip. He covers a wide variety of styles, sounds, and eras into his sets, he can cut, he can mix, and he knows how to work the crowd, both as an amazing DJ, and also hypes the crowd up on the mic. Kids would do well to learn from this craftsman.
grrillatactics 7:38 PM - 16 August, 2007
Forgot to mention that Vajra is definitely on the up-and-up. He has the total package as well. Also a very nice guy.
djmarvel 1:06 AM - 17 August, 2007
noize doesnt get enough props, his routines flow and his disses cant be toped.

dude how the hell does vajra scratch so damn fast!!!

kico is sick on the battling tip too!!
DJ Jonasty 7:09 PM - 17 August, 2007
DJ Chinballs
djang 3:04 AM - 29 March, 2008
dj rectangle definatly is up there for me. ive got so many mixtapes/battle lp's from him its not funny. yet to see him live... cant wait

mix master mike as well... dope tablist and dope on the mic. (i remember seeing a video somewere of him doing a showcase at some hiphop show and they had the strobelights on him... so he stops drummin and grabs the mic and hes like "ay yo the dude with the strobe light this aint no rave its a hiphop show... put the spotlight on and keep it steady" *crowd goes crazy* lol
TONZ 10:49 AM - 29 March, 2008
Dj Craze! best all around in my book.
DJ Jonasty 1:16 PM - 29 March, 2008
I was listening to the WMC on sirius and Junior Sanchez (no dirty) had a great set, my style for sure.
DJ Skitz (USA) 2:52 PM - 29 March, 2008
me,

Because, I am awesome.
DJLRock 7:35 PM - 29 March, 2008
My favorite DJ is Double K from Beat Street.
dj shadow from detroit 8:31 PM - 29 March, 2008
jeff mills ( the wizard )back in the day 1980's - 1990's - ( when he didnt play techno all the time!
he played everything!

he would mix fast and scratch ( really rare back then ) :)
dj luis 8:38 PM - 29 March, 2008
lisa lashes, cos she has big tits
jonlax 11:46 PM - 29 March, 2008
Kid Koala made me buy turntables. But Z-Trip consistently blows my mind.
Dj Koppa Top 12:14 AM - 30 March, 2008
DJ Jazzy Jeff, Kid Capri, (Roc Raida, Mista Sinista, Rob Swift, Total Eclipse), The Hitman Howie T.....I cant put them in order but they are my inspiration. And the reason I just didn't say The X-Ecutioners is because them dudes are all dope as fuck.
dj bedtime 5:16 AM - 30 March, 2008
The best radio dj I have ever heard was and is dj Flipside from b96 Chicago.

I first came across his vids on youtube and I've been hooked ever since.

Jazzy jeff is one of the dopest club dj's ever. Funny--- until a few years ago-- I never even knew Jeff still rocked clubs.
Boba Tha Hut 8:31 AM - 30 March, 2008
Favorite Club DJs:
Haul and Mason: Those two cats have wicked sets and I've never seen any DJ rock the crowd like they do. Hands down the best party rockin DJs. Period.
Icey Ice: I grew up listening to this dude and remember him rocking clubs over 14 years ago. His track selection and musical taste is unmatched which makes up for some of the technical skills he lacks (or at least doesn't display). As a radio DJ I think he's lost some ground since he's busy with other things. Some of the recent radio sets I heard him play were sloppy.
Favorite Radio DJ:
Mr. Choc - nuff said
Coke-E - Keeps his mixing old school style (no effects box)
Favorite Mix tape DJ:
Probably the DJs from Styles Beyond Compared like Rick Lee, Way out. Not the most technically skilled cats, but they have such clean blends and their musical taste and type of tracks they play are on par to what mine is like.
dirtbag filthy 4:13 PM - 30 March, 2008
i gotta make it up to LA for one of those haul and mason parties
Dj Koppa Top 7:46 PM - 30 March, 2008
Oh I forgot DJ PREMIER probably one of the best yet.
DJ Sniffles 8:08 PM - 30 March, 2008
A-Trak for vesatility, Enferno for psuing the envelope, and Shadow, Z-trip, cut chemist, numark for originality and being true to the artform
Stakato 8:52 PM - 30 March, 2008
Starting From Scratch (Toronto). Seen this guy kill the party too many times. He just knows how to do it proper, crazy old school and versatile.
dj_craigmac 2:50 AM - 2 April, 2008
My favorite House music DJ is Farley JackMaster Funk. He's the reason I started spinnin.
Favorite hiphop dj is a tie between DJ Alladin and The Magnificent Jazzy Jeff.
Favorite Radio mixshow dj is DJ Enri
Dj Breeze 6:32 AM - 2 April, 2008
ya man for real dj craze is probably my fav dj cuz of his ability to really tear up the turntables and create some really cool stuff
ILL-REPUTE 3:30 PM - 2 April, 2008
my fav dj is me because I am GREAT lol

seriously nah sticking up for the Brits gota be Tony Vegas as a turntabist

but for DnB Andy C is the one :)
shiestO! 5:05 PM - 2 April, 2008
Quote:

but for DnB Andy C is the one :)

i prefer calyx and teebee (teebyx)

just saw andy c last week though and he did kill it.
The Scene Kings 8:01 PM - 2 April, 2008
Danny Teneglia
Jazzy Jeff
PVD
Victor Calderone
Kid Capre
Peter Rauhofer
Dirty South
TheMasterOfCeremony 7:05 PM - 20 January, 2009
I'm from belgium, the one who made me want to start mixing is my number one favorite;

Dj Daddy K.

Still number one in this country after 20 years of being a dj...

He is just sick when he spins, mad skillz and plays a lot with a cappella's and self made remixes.

Check him out on youtube if you get the chance.
dj shadow from detroit 8:51 PM - 20 January, 2009
Dj Daddy K. is a dope dj.
Chrisjin 10:40 PM - 20 January, 2009
Quote:
I'm from belgium, the one who made me want to start mixing is my number one favorite;

Dj Daddy K.

He is just sick when he spins, mad skillz and plays a lot with a cappella's and self made remixes.

Last week one of my friends older brother borrowed us some of his DMC tapes and saw Daddy K. My girlfriend thought he looked like a date rapist. haha he was cold tho.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 10:56 PM - 20 January, 2009
There are alot of cold DJ's out there, but when I heard that live track on "He's the DJ im the Rapper", where Fresh Prince and Jeff are rockin Union square. DJ Jazzy Jeff made me go out and buy some belt drive turntables (I did'nt know any better then). Not to many DJ's can keep the crowd rockin ON BEAT, while they are scratchin and jugglein. Nobody seen that shit in 1986. And he's still killin it 23 year later! Check it Watchwww.youtube.com
TheMasterOfCeremony 10:35 AM - 21 January, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Dj Daddy K.

Last week one of my friends older brother borrowed us some of his DMC tapes and saw Daddy K. My girlfriend thought he looked like a date rapist. haha he was cold tho.

What do you mean with cold ? Sorry for the question, english is not my first language.

Cold as in not showing emotions ?
javlingames 11:12 AM - 21 January, 2009
Jazzy Jeff, is there anything this man cant do on a turntable??
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:02 PM - 21 January, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dj Daddy K.

What do you mean with cold ? Sorry for the question, english is not my first language.

Cold means really good in this case. (kinda like cool )
TheMasterOfCeremony 11:54 PM - 21 January, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dj Daddy K.

Cold means really good in this case. (kinda like cool )

Ok, thought so as well... just making sure.

Thanks for clearing it up for me here ;)
irule19 7:53 PM - 22 January, 2009
Kid Capri - seen him rock crowds from a club to an arena. For me he was the one that made me wanna DJ.
dj red 8:18 PM - 22 January, 2009
+10 For Z-Trip he is an all around great dj and cool to talk with pretty humble actually and very creative.

also mad respect for the pioneers cuause with out them where would we be- dj Kool Herc is the man

Andrew B is also pretty dope he put together my favorite intro of all time!
Mr Jimdobalina 8:18 PM - 22 January, 2009
Rob Swift, cos everything he does is funky as fuck!!
Jay Sol 9:50 PM - 22 January, 2009
well,

Kid Capri (Cause he is a beast)
Kutmaster Spaz (he is my mentor and my friend. he is known for breaking the notorious b.i.g on the west coast).
James Coles (my other mentor. dude has the cleanest blends in the world!)
Latin Prince (my Bum pops lol)

on another tip, Fatman Scoop really inspired me to rock a party with the mic and that has in turn, made me a better and more desirable DJ.
latindj 12:44 AM - 23 January, 2009
my favorite dj is scrizzy cuz he brings it hard on his stanton tables and mixer and never has to pay for his music...my hero! :)
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:22 PM - 23 January, 2009
I heard that kid scrizzy gets MONEY son! he goes hard....I heard a new kahled track and he starts it goin WE SCRIZZY!!!
dj shadow from detroit 4:18 PM - 23 January, 2009
ztrip is the best in the world.
jazzy jeff is right there also.
djgreg1200 3:30 AM - 30 January, 2009
DJ Bee is my favorite DJ. He is one of the few turntablist who can also rock a party. Check out his website and download some of his mixes....www.djbeeonline.com
henster 10:05 AM - 30 January, 2009
nobody mentioned pf cuttin yet. for me he's one of the illest.
Caramac 11:38 AM - 30 January, 2009
Quote:
I heard that kid scrizzy gets MONEY son! he goes hard....I heard a new kahled track and he starts it goin WE SCRIZZY!!!

Lol Quality.
stevie o 12:21 PM - 30 January, 2009
chachi
riz
deez notes
Dirty Digits 4:35 PM - 30 January, 2009
"Beware of the n***a that they call J.rocc"
J.rocc is definitely a DJ I to look to for inspiration.

Also DJ Rockin' Rob: A true NYC veteran. Just caught a set of his & dude played a 45 only set of straight party breaks and, came correct with the Old-School steez, needle dropping and all. Any NYC heads should check him if you can, he still plays out on the regular. Definitely one of the best who's ever done it.
DJ Brett B 5:29 PM - 30 January, 2009
Can't believe nobody has mentioned DJ Scene yet.. dude is killing it on so many levels!
sacrilicious 6:58 PM - 30 January, 2009
P and Z-Trip (saw them within a few weeks of each other, too, whoo!). Loved Mark Ronson's Essential Mix a while back, too.
stevie o 9:16 PM - 30 January, 2009
mark ronson loses points for being related to samantha ronson imo.
sacrilicious 9:32 PM - 30 January, 2009
Quote:
mark ronson loses points for being related to samantha ronson imo.

Ha fair enough!
T-SWIFT 5:32 AM - 31 January, 2009
Jazzy Jeff. I-have-NEVER-seen-anyone come in and out of mixes so smooooooth. He never goes outside himself and just Rocks a party. Flash is the reason I started-Jeff the reason I kept going.
Maskrider 11:31 AM - 31 January, 2009
Dj Sneak
pski 4:08 AM - 1 February, 2009
DJ RRollergod because he like epically epic.

nah I personally would have to say craze dude is mad steezy, anyone hear fabriclive 38?
professor jimihandtrix 4:35 AM - 1 February, 2009
Z-Trip
bboyrealone 3:23 PM - 1 February, 2009
Quote:
Z-Trip

Z-Trip is the most versatile DJ out there. He has DJed Battle of the Year, he's done hip hop events, and he did mash-ups before it was a trend. He also has done production. And anyone that has seen him since he has been using Serato would say how incredable his shows are. I have seen tons of DJs, and gone more DJ battles than I can count. With the exception of Jazzy Jeff who I have never seen live, the Z-Trip show at Harper’s Ferry was the best show I have ever seen.
dj shadow from detroit 5:55 PM - 1 February, 2009
z - trip is still underrated even though he made top 5 in the world best djs in 2008.

his cuts are not technically insane but every cut he does is flawless and clean.and he scratches with rhythm.which in today's world is unheard of.

his scratch placement and style compliments the music.and thats what scratching should be.

+1 on ztrip again.
Dj Corleone508 3:23 AM - 2 February, 2009
Quote:
I Like DJ Noize but no-one seems to have mentioned him!

Noize is the ultimate battle dj! His DMC winning set with the Biggie tone is disgusting!!!!!!!!

for sure that set was ill +11111

my pick is JAZZY JEFF he's performing at my club In two weeks
DJ Tank 8:06 AM - 4 February, 2009
Growing Up, My Hero's would Be: R.I.P. Jam Master Jay. Jazzy Jeff, Cash Money, Rodney O, Tat Money, Mr. Mixx of the 2 live crew. also DJ Scratch from EPMD. JMJ Started it off, the rest gave me a reason to keep going.
dj richie beretta 9:31 AM - 4 February, 2009
My favorite DJ of all time is DJ Assbucket - that dude is sick.
stevie o 11:29 PM - 4 February, 2009
Favorite all time Dj is Dj premier

Reason;

Premier has proven himself over 2 decades and is still dope. As one half of a legendary group and a Dj. He held hip hop on his back throughout the 90's and is responsible for 90% of the dopest beats of that time. A while ago it was an honor for anyone to bless the mic over a primo beat. And to top it off his cuts are super clean and extra dope. He is the inventor of scratching the hook and should be inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame imo. Discuss.
Dj Koppa Top 2:34 AM - 6 February, 2009
Quote:
Favorite all time Dj is Dj premier

Reason;

Premier has proven himself over 2 decades and is still dope. As one half of a legendary group and a Dj. He held hip hop on his back throughout the 90's and is responsible for 90% of the dopest beats of that time. A while ago it was an honor for anyone to bless the mic over a primo beat. And to top it off his cuts are super clean and extra dope. He is the inventor of scratching the hook and should be inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame imo. Discuss.

Amen!!! MA Brother.........Da dude is Gifted......
djchrischip 8:24 PM - 7 February, 2009
my favorite dj's are
Dj AL3
Dj Flipside
Dj AM
Dj A_Ron

any of the skam artists are pretty sick 2

and for the East Coast

Dj Spinbad
and Dj klutch.
djchrischip 2:47 AM - 9 February, 2009
I forgot to mention dj yonni he is ridiculous lol
Bernard Trinidad 8:44 PM - 22 July, 2010
AM all day!
iNBiTuiN 10:01 PM - 23 July, 2010
Best party rocker - Z-Trip hands down
Best battle DJ - Craze hands down
DJ SicBeatz 9:21 AM - 24 July, 2010
DJ Enferno
DJ_Phenom 9:47 AM - 24 July, 2010
Quote:
Best party rocker - Klever hands down

Fixed...
Sureshot (PA) 1:44 PM - 24 July, 2010
A-Trak

he's the total package. clean cuts, great mixing, production skills, solid remixes, won battles but moved past it, good albums, free mixtapes.
stevie o 1:48 AM - 25 July, 2010
tony little
DJ Sniffles 3:21 AM - 25 July, 2010
Quote:
A-Trak

he's the total package. clean cuts, great mixing, production skills, solid remixes, won battles but moved past it, good albums, free mixtapes.

Co-sign
DJ GOOK 3:36 PM - 25 July, 2010
Me
sacrilicious 4:38 PM - 25 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
A-Trak

Co-sign
bill-e 7:08 PM - 25 July, 2010
chachi
SuckaDJ 12:51 AM - 26 July, 2010
link to a good ztrip video rocking some partys?
DJ Mr. $ 4:03 AM - 26 July, 2010
dj pauly d - didnt you hear hes the next AM?
PVK01 4:23 PM - 26 July, 2010
House - Bad Boy Bill

Because he was the only DJ at the (UC, Hard house style) time where he brought a bit of "turntablism" to his mixes. He inspired me to get more focused into adding more flavor to mixes instead of just plain mixing.

Drum and Bass - R.A.W. (AKA Bboy300, AKA 6BLOCC)

HANDS DOWN because he, too, also brought turntablism to drum and bass/jungle which he made a mixing style that was recognized in the L.A. dnb/jungle scene. Almost like jungle turntablism. Not too mention his seemless style of mixing ("Wait! was that one track or two?") Heck, he even battled Craze once (which IMO lost in the scratching department to Craze BUT totally killed Craze in the trick mixing department... Craze couldnt mix dnb FOR SHIT back at that time). He inspired alot of us dnb dj's (including Audio 1) to do alot of trick mixing.
DJBLISS89 6:59 PM - 26 July, 2010
Quote:
Best party rocker - Z-Trip hands down

I agree with Craze, but Z Trip the best party rocker of all time?? Def a legend, but not a party rocker...
Billy18bm 9:34 PM - 26 July, 2010
AM..cuts were simple, but ridiculous...and he knew how to rock a party and do it w/ music that wasn't necessarily heat.
SteadFast 5:01 AM - 29 July, 2010
A-Trak
the_black_one 6:20 AM - 29 July, 2010
latindj all day everyday (no homo,NM)
djpuma_gemini 6:43 AM - 29 July, 2010
pauly d
the_black_one 7:02 AM - 29 July, 2010
es puma
DJDeluchi 1:18 PM - 29 July, 2010
Jaguar Skills well worth checking out he is a mash up dj with serious skills
dj kiss 2:26 PM - 29 July, 2010
Quote:
AM..cuts were simple, but ridiculous...and he knew how to rock a party and do it w/ music that wasn't necessarily heat.
DJ Benny B NYC 2:43 PM - 29 July, 2010
i like a lot of djs but deep down i think im the best. give me a few beers and i immediately start thinking "if i was djing right now i would do this"
DjLouSince82 3:50 PM - 29 July, 2010
The Legend Mixmasters from 1580 KDAY..specially Mr Tony G himself
philldafunk 5:51 PM - 29 July, 2010
Turntablism=Craze
HipHop/Party Rocker=Z-Trip
Drum n Bass=Andy C
Nicky Blunt 8:16 PM - 29 July, 2010
wow, nice to see some dnb gettin repped!

Andy is a uk staple for a dnb night he is an awesome dj, but my fave dnb dj has to be Randall! That dude kills it!!!!
MelonHead 1:39 PM - 31 July, 2010
dj Rob... Missy Elliot's old, OLD dj before she made it big... (my homeboy). Mix that made sense.. clean transitions... scratch only at the right time... NEVER talks on the mic though but talks with his hands.

good lookin out Rob!
kryptonitednb 2:23 PM - 31 July, 2010
Quote:
Turntablism=Craze
HipHop/Party Rocker=Z-Trip
Drum n Bass=Andy C

Great choices!

I would say that my fav party rocker is Klever though. Being from Atl I might be biased bc I get to see him a lot.
grrillatactics 11:56 PM - 19 May, 2011
Bringing this thread back from the dead...

The quote below is from me back in 2007, and I have some new names to add to my list.

Quote:
I can't say that I have just one favorite, but I do have a favorite for different skills/styles.

For straight-up battling: DJ Noize. Hands down the best at finding samples and phrases to cut down the competition, clean and precise juggles, and solid cuts. Great stage presence to boot.

For cutting/scratching: QBert. He can cut and cut and cut, and it pretty much always sounds good.

All around turntablism: DJ A-Trak. Kid has done it all and done it well, from battling, to showcases, to rocking crowds, to building tracks from "scratch" to performing with Kanye, to studio cuts for Common's Be album (among others), to working on his own projects on the side.

Straight mixing: Andy C. The Executioner is a machine when it comes to throwing down dnb sets, and covers many subgenres in his sets whereas a lot of big-name dnb guys stick to only 1 or 2 subgenres. After hearing Nightlife Vol. 1, I had to go back to the drawing board and re-learn how to mix...

And for all-around DJing: Z-Trip. He covers a wide variety of styles, sounds, and eras into his sets, he can cut, he can mix, and he knows how to work the crowd, both as an amazing DJ, and also hypes the crowd up on the mic. Kids would do well to learn from this craftsman.

I used to not be a big fan of Danny the Wildchild (his track selection didn't really appeal to me), but after seeing him a few times live and getting to watch his sets up close, I'd say that he is a badass. Probably the best cuts to DnB that I've ever heard, and I've seen some of the best scratchers in DnB (Craze, Marky, Phantom45, Hype, Odi, etc...). He is on time with his cuts and his scratch drumming. Super cool guy as well; insanely funny!

Lamont (Realtablist) is like "Whoa!" Also, he was the main guy involved with helping Rodec develop the Scratchbox (can't wait to sell my TTM57 so that I can grab a Scratchbox!). Nice on the cut, solid juggling, and a strong compositional element. I wish he had gotten a Vestax Controller One when they were available, just to see what he could have added to his tracks.
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com
The two vids above are pretty old, but his newer stuff is sweet as well.
www.youtube.com

Enferno is crushing it these days. I first saw him at the 2003 DMC US Finals, and honestly thought that Vajra should have won that battle. But his LRP is off the chain, and my wife and I saw him live a few months back and he just blew up Mez in Charlotte NC. Wrong club for what he did, as that place is a "see and be seen" bottle service kind of place, but he played an incredible set that drew heavily on his LRP stuff, and added in some solid mixing. Another genuinely nice guy as well. Very polite and friendly.
yaeLBrown 12:22 AM - 20 May, 2011
Turtablist = Geometrix
Party Rock = Cosmo Baker
j cue 1:45 AM - 8 June, 2011
yeh geometrix is ill! cant say ive head of cosmo baker.. no offense to cosmo! but im sure he aint heard of me either! :p
i recently discovered a dude from europe who amazed me with his skill and party rocking madness!
dj sake! based in antwerp belgium. has monthlys all over mainland europe... sick dj!
also dj JayCeeOh who i recently had the pleasure of working with , is a sick dude on the 1's n 2's!
j cue 1:50 AM - 8 June, 2011
@ grrillatactics
lamont is the truth no question!
DJ Tecniq 4:16 AM - 8 June, 2011
Quote:
that's DJ SW1 aka Shawn Wayans of the Wayans brothers...lol
Nater 2:27 PM - 8 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I've been looking for a good quality version of that theme song forever. I don't think Heavy D released it on anything.
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 11:12 PM - 9 June, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've been looking for a good quality version of that theme song forever. I don't think Heavy D released it on anything.

I would totally play that theme song!
Steve E Wunda 12:32 AM - 10 June, 2011
Quote:

The originator of the dj fist pump.....20 yrs before that kid from Jersey
ral 4:48 PM - 14 June, 2011
Quote:
yeh geometrix is ill! !

here's his ustream
www.ustream.tv
Ollie 7:56 AM - 15 June, 2011
DJ Melo-D takes the crown on this one. "Best all around!"
-Beat Juggles like J-Roc ala Beat Junkie sound.
-Knows all genres of music from Old Skool Electro Hip Hop /Daft Punk /Electro house
-Vestax World Champion (he's battle ready)
-Previous radio jock at The Beat and K-Day LA.
-He holds residency in Vegas and LA. Multiple cities with the hottest night club scenes.
-He flexes with 80.s 90.s Hip Hop yet does nightly gigs playing towards Vegas and Hollywod crowds. (you know what kind if music those crowds want)
You'll never see him just standing behind his set waiting on the next record and drinking. He's always moving and programing the next song he's going to play with a quickness.
You can't get anymore all around than that. check the link below. Start at 40:00 min mark.
www.ustream.tv

- Dj Eman of KPWR beause his programing is unmatched and will crowd a dance floor in a heartbeat as well as his bro Dj Virman of Far East Movement.
- Dj Vice cuz he can just rock a crowd plain and simple.
- Dj Jazzy Jeff unmatched at creativity in rock'n the classics.

-
Ollie 7:57 AM - 15 June, 2011
Sorry, here's the Melo-d link.
www.ustream.tv