DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Ultimate Breaks & Beats Vol. 1-25

lopezj1290 5:46 PM - 14 March, 2011
Just wanted to post a link to this great collection in it's entirety if you don't already own it. A must have for any DJ...

www.realraptalk.com
skratchworx 5:50 PM - 14 March, 2011
I should make it my life's work to have a copy of the original vinyls featured on this collection. I see me spending a small fortune making that happen.

Oh and IBTL. Did I do it right?
lopezj1290 6:19 PM - 14 March, 2011
Quote:

Oh and IBTL. Did I do it right?

Did what right?
Dirty Digits 6:25 PM - 14 March, 2011
Sh*t man. I'm sure even the some of the originators like Grand Wizzard Threodore don't have all the originals presses of the UBB collection. Japan bought all of those records up in the 70s & 80s

I'm sure the only people who'd have those entire discographies are the main stay diggers like Bam, Jazzy Jay, Flash, Spinna & Break Beat Lou... as well every single Japanese investor ever. ha

IBTL for sure
lopezj1290 6:28 PM - 14 March, 2011
No doubt... enjoy because I know I will! lol
nonplus 6:31 PM - 14 March, 2011
already own a ton of the vinyl and have the complete collection on cd. i agree gizmo. what i wouldn't do to have the original albums...

ibtl!
lopezj1290 7:25 PM - 14 March, 2011
what the heck is IBTL???
CMOS 7:27 PM - 14 March, 2011
Quote:
what the heck is IBTL???

It means in before the lock, that shit you posted is mad illegal.
BattleFunk 7:39 PM - 14 March, 2011
lopez1290 you need banning for posting that shit

read the rules before you sign up SMH.
CMOS 7:46 PM - 14 March, 2011
Ill vouch for him, dude just PMed all paranoid, he really didnt know he couldnt post this.

He said sorry n everything. lol.
BattleFunk 7:54 PM - 14 March, 2011
lost for words at how dumb some of these fuckers are
lopezj1290 7:54 PM - 14 March, 2011
My fault people. I wasn't aware of that. Don't need the Adjustment Bureau after me now (BattleFunk)
BattleFunk 8:01 PM - 14 March, 2011
you couldn't work out that posting links to a stolen album was wrong?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:23 AM - 15 March, 2011
Good Grief, he's sawwry....

I'm sayin tho...

3/4ths' of the cats on this board wouldn't know the FIRST THING to do with those breaks anyway...

So even though I give props for wanting to spread the ORIGINAL SPARK of HipHop, I have to give you a -10 for bad crowd selection....
ZESH! 4:56 AM - 15 March, 2011
Really not a big deal (What I mean is I don't think it deserves a lock)
The entire collection is on Franchise anyway.

Yea I know you pay to be on Franchise, but not that much at all considering you get the whole collection.
Discobee 6:26 AM - 15 March, 2011
IBTL, but you know y'all be DL'ing that ish right now lol.
MISTER RIPPER 6:32 AM - 15 March, 2011
+1 HELL YEAH OF COURSE IF I DINDN'T HAVE IT ... IMA DL ALL DAY
DJ TOGTFO 6:33 AM - 15 March, 2011
IBTL

PS
Thanks.
Discobee 6:45 AM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:
IBTL

PS
Thanks.

Hahaha!!
ta2423 7:44 AM - 15 March, 2011
Thanks
ZESH! 8:28 AM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:
3/4ths' of the cats on this board wouldn't know the FIRST THING to do with those breaks anyway...

CLASSIC! Sad but true

I still say no IBTL. at the most delete the link (I saved it anyway **chuckle**)
djbanno 9:56 AM - 15 March, 2011
TIBL?
djchase 10:31 AM - 15 March, 2011
?LTBI
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:29 AM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:
IBTL

PS
Thanks.

WHAT?

All them damn DISCO CLASSICS YOU HAVE, AND YOU DON'T HAVE UBB???

Oh, man....

The AGONY...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:35 AM - 15 March, 2011
As a TRUE HIPHOP DJ, you needed this in your collection to be credible AT ALL, back in the day.

I remember when I 1st found out what a "Break" was, made a trip to NY to The Music Factory (RIP), where they were releasing them 1 VOLUME AT A TIME, then one day I went there and they had the ENTIRE SERIES on the wall...

I just said, I'll take that "ENTIRE ROW" right there, and would keep coming back until I was broke, and eventually bought them all.

It didn't matter if you "KNEW" all the breaks on there or not, it was an ARSENAL that made you worthy of being a HIPHOP DJ, and over time, you'd eventually see where they were USING these breaks, even snippets, in HipHop music.

So, fast forward to today, like I said, 3/4ths of the population here wouldn't know what to do with these jawns....and I"m talking 3/4ths of the HIPHOP DJ's.
got2b Ru 12:02 PM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:
I just said, I'll take that "ENTIRE ROW" right there, and would keep coming back until I was broke, and eventually bought them all.

two copies of each for sure... right?

Mad dudes would frown at these back then because it wasn't truly "digging" . But mixed on a tape with the MC of the day on it, WHO CARES!

the other cool thing about these is a lot of the "breaks" are looped andextended and/or brought to the beginning of the track( see: Banbarra - Shack Up, James Brown - Funky Drummer, Brothers Johnson - Aint We Funkin Now, etc)

OH and IBTL
1mzrew.bay.livefilestore.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:08 PM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:

Man, that wasn't even a QUESTION!

I went BROKE AS HELL, getting those, but was WORTH every penny.

The digging WAS initially legit, as they used to release a Volume and NOT repress it.

So if you missed it, you were ass out.

Then one day, they just all showed up on the wall...

+10 on recognizing the edited loops.

Most don't know that the version of "Impeach The President", that's on there is DJ "friendly", vs. the original break that FORCED the DJ to be quick with his hands.

Oh, and www.djjohnnym.com
lopezj1290 12:32 PM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:

True story!! lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:43 PM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

True story!! lol

Sh*t they better....
DJ TOGTFO 2:30 PM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

IBTL

PS
Thanks.

WHAT?

All them damn DISCO CLASSICS YOU HAVE, AND YOU DON'T HAVE UBB???

Oh, man....

The AGONY...

I have most of this shizzle anyway! Just want it all in 1 place on my hard drive.
reggae delgado 4:54 PM - 15 March, 2011
go find the originals! I have a stack of those on 45, they're out there!
DJ GaFFle 4:56 PM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:

Oh, and www.djjohnnym.com

LoLOLOLOL! Grandmaster GIF stikes again :-D
DJ GaFFle 4:58 PM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:

So says baby bam. :-/
Discobee 5:21 PM - 15 March, 2011
I got a new acronym we should start using:

DBTL

download before the lock!

*disclaimer: not that I condone such illegal activities*
FunkyRob 5:25 PM - 15 March, 2011
Buy the real thing here on multi pack cd's

www.undergroundhiphop.com

The last disc is a DVD and has hi quality aif files that I used to make 320 MP3s.

The only original on vinyl I ever managed to get was

www.undergroundhiphop.com

I bought it because it was the only way to get Dance To The Drummer's Beat. Funny how re-issues they started to put doubles in the sleeves so you didn't have to buy 2 copies.
ta2423 6:16 PM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, No worries... I downloaded twice.

OH and IBTL
1mzrew.bay.livefilestore.com
got2b Ru 6:24 PM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:

45s are usually shortened versions and don't have the breaks in them OR they are broken up in 2 parts. Plus they aren't really practical for scratching.

Quote:
I bought it because it was the only way to get Dance To The Drummer's Beat. Funny how re-issues they started to put doubles in the sleeves so you didn't have to buy 2 copies.

Now all you gotta do is find the "party" version (we used to call it the whistle version) which is actually the ORIGINAL version of Dance To The Drummers Beat.
reggae delgado 6:46 PM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

45s are usually shortened versions and don't have the breaks in them OR they are broken up in 2 parts. Plus they aren't really practical for scratching.

45s are short versions only if the song is hella long, but they have the breaks, or at least they do for most of the classics like "champ," "tramp," "dance to the drummer's beat," "amen brother," etc. Much of the vocal soul of the time, esp James Brown, has lots of part 2, part 3 on the back, but that doesn't really interfere with what most of us do with the records.
As far as scratching, as the name implies I cut my teeth on reggae & mostly learned to scratch with 45s. It's not too bad, you just have to have a light touch. Sound quality, on the other hand, can be an issue with records that are 30 years old. In terms of what you can still do with them, there are some great 45s only parties here in the Bay & if you're at SXSW there's one coming up soon featuring platurn & numark. Its a great way to go back to the days of digging and basic skills being the way that parties were blown up.
DJ DisGrace 7:20 PM - 15 March, 2011
DBTL!!!
got2b Ru 7:32 PM - 15 March, 2011
Quote:
Sound quality, on the other hand, can be an issue with records that are 30 years old.

that's the other thing, A lot of 7" 45s were not pressed in stereo like their 12" counterparts because stereo grooves are wider and spinning @45rpm made for a really short program. I got my first copy of Buffalo Gals on a 45 and was shocked to hear the 12" with the drums on one side and EVERYTHING else on the other(WKTU, KISS and WBLS RARELY played the stereo version). That was the last 7" 45 I bought.

Quote:
Its a great way to go back to the days of digging and basic skills being the way that parties were blown up.

IMO, digging when you know what you are looking for overrated these days. Especially if it's readily available in a high quality form.(clean audio - digital or analog )

Ultimate Breaks & Beats made it possible for breaks to live on after all the originals got worn out on the break. I still got my ORIGINAL doubles of Freedom - Get Up And Dance that are almost unintelligible on the breaks form all the cutting, scratching and backspinning with them Pickering V15s + a nickel on the headshell.

Ultimate Breaks & Beats ALSO stepped up the sound quality on records of this kind - anybody remember the horrific sound quality and off-beat looping on the Paul Winley - "Super Disco Brakes" albums?
DJ Alkemy 7:40 PM - 15 March, 2011
I thought EVERY Hip-Hop DJ worth their salt already had these breaks?
7:56 PM, 15 Mar 2011
Discussion locked by Eru G