Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

1.4 lagging

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
eder 5:43 AM - 16 May, 2005
not sure if anyone else had this problem, but for me 1.4 has been lagging a lot...not like sound or anything, sound plays fine....but like whenever i load a new song, the visuals freeze for a second or two, almost like it's going to crash...cpu's not getting overloaded and i have more than enough memory....this was never a prob in 1.3, either....

sort of a side note, but is there like a scratch buffer in 1.4? cause whenever i scratch in relative mode now, it responds just as it does in absolute mode, minus the occasional needle skip...
Willrock 8:08 AM - 16 May, 2005
I have the same problem, also sometimes visuals freeze completely but sounds keep playing ok, when I hit esc. or alt + f4 and wait for like 10 min the exit screen shows up. Pressing esc. a second time makes graphics work again.
It happens with different files.
Never had this with 1.3.
+ the virtual decks has a slight delay when scratching or juggling now, it was more on point before.
Nadav 8:15 AM - 16 May, 2005
It happens to me too but not with every song i load, just sometimes. and also when i browse through the files it freezes some times for half a sec. scary !
nik39 10:43 AM - 16 May, 2005
Quote:
but like whenever i load a new song, the visuals freeze for a second or two, almost like it's going to crash.

Same observation here.
DJ BabeyDrew 2:29 PM - 16 May, 2005
Same Shit happens to me... I am glad its not just my computer...
eder 3:46 PM - 16 May, 2005
yeah, another thing too...i have the same prob that nadav has when i scroll through songs...it's never like 10+ secs and it gets back to normal after a couple of seconds, but it's still scary shit to have to go through...
Supagee 5:10 PM - 16 May, 2005
i was having this problem in 1.3 but it happened only when i went to using the import section of SSL
sixxx 11:16 PM - 16 May, 2005
Quote:
not sure if anyone else had this problem, but for me 1.4 has been lagging a lot...not like sound or anything, sound plays fine....but like whenever i load a new song, the visuals freeze for a second or two, almost like it's going to crash...

Same problem experienced on an iBook... my setup that is. As long as it doesn't crash or freeze, I don't mind it... yet. lol
Supagee 2:18 AM - 17 May, 2005
just think if this was happeing in final crap it would most likely crash.

lol
BriChi 12:38 PM - 17 May, 2005
Same problem on my powerbook G4
s42000 3:07 PM - 17 May, 2005
yes ... and its scary.
Hex 6:27 PM - 17 May, 2005
Yup, had that happen a few times as well and it's not like my laptop's slow (Athlon 64 3000+, 512MB RAM)
Serato
Josh 10:35 PM - 17 May, 2005
This is a result of work to improve the needle dropping latency, decoding files is given priority over graphics, so a "decoding heavy" process like loading a file, can cause the the graphics to pause slightly.

Rest assured it's not indicating an imminent system failure :-)
sixxx 10:43 PM - 17 May, 2005
Quote:
This is a result of work to improve the needle dropping latency, decoding files is given priority over graphics, so a "decoding heavy" process like loading a file, can cause the the graphics to pause slightly.

Rest assured it's not indicating an imminent system failure :-)

Good, I rather the sound be faster than the graphics... after all, the crowd is not paying attention to my screen. :)
nik39 11:58 PM - 17 May, 2005
Josh, the problem is, SSL freezes _before_ you map a song, means just when move up/down with your cursor.
Serato
Josh 12:00 AM - 18 May, 2005
Is that just as bad as when loading a track?
nik39 12:05 AM - 18 May, 2005
Well, it is worse in a way, cause it happens whenever the highlighted track in a case is changed, means everytime when you go up and down with the cursor. I can live with the fact that the graphics glitch whenever you map a track, caus this doesnt happen all the time, but I cant understand why it glitches when highlighting a different track. I think someone mentioned that SSL loads the tags whenever you highlight a different track, but is this really necessary? With the mp3 art on/cover on I understand this, but its not active on my machine.
sixxx 12:21 AM - 18 May, 2005
Quote:
Well, it is worse in a way, cause it happens whenever the highlighted track in a case is changed, means everytime when you go up and down with the cursor. I can live with the fact that the graphics glitch whenever you map a track, caus this doesnt happen all the time, but I cant understand why it glitches when highlighting a different track. I think someone mentioned that SSL loads the tags whenever you highlight a different track, but is this really necessary? With the mp3 art on/cover on I understand this, but its not active on my machine.

This doesn't happen on my iBook. MMhhh.
Serato
Josh 12:22 AM - 18 May, 2005
we'll have a look at it
DJ White Lightning 2:51 AM - 18 May, 2005
Doesnt happed on my Powerbook either :D
nobspangle 8:07 AM - 18 May, 2005
I thought SSL only loaded tags when you load a file on to the deck, but you can see a very small glitch in the graphics when moving up and down the browse lists. To be honest I hadn't noticed until nik pointed it out. If you watch the waveforms or virtual turntables closely you can see it.
nik39 8:55 AM - 18 May, 2005
Quote:
I thought SSL only loaded tags when you load a file on to the deck, but you can see a very small glitch in the graphics when moving up and down the browse lists.

It must read the tags to show the album cover art. And even if its not enabled it reads the tags, dunno why. A user had a problem where SSL would crash due to weird tags, and that happen while he was browsing through his tracks in one crate w/o mapping them.
Nadav 9:42 AM - 18 May, 2005
yeah it happened to me, and still is. short freeze when i browse up and down on a list.
nik39 10:01 AM - 18 May, 2005
Just to add, the list is NOT scrolling, but you still experience the short freeze.

BTW, this is some issue, that Sam has recognized as well during the Musikmesse.
BriChi 7:06 PM - 5 September, 2005
Is there any more word on this, This happens to me also on my Powerbook G4. Everytime i load a track, the wheels pause for a second causing my heart to also stop for that second. I am hoping something is in the works for this issue. Maybe just have the option to shut the wheels off so we dont see them freeze. I use the cd's so the wheels are useless to me anyway. Thanks
Serato
Josh 10:39 PM - 5 September, 2005
This is really a prioritizing of the loading of the song so that it's loaded as soon as possible without any chance of a dropout. Maybe your heart will rest assured now?
BriChi 10:42 PM - 5 September, 2005
Cool, Thanks once again Josh