Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Upgraded to Serato 2.2 and CDJ2000 v4.0 - skipping

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DankDJ 4:21 AM - 1 March, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.2
Hardware: scratchlive-sl3
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.5.8
---

Hey guys,

Thought I'd tell you about my little adventure on the weekend.

I have previously had issues with random skipping while using my CDJ2000's using firmware v3.1 in HID with Serato 2.1. Only happens at most 3 or 4 times in a 5 hour set.

I upgraded the firmware this weekend before heading to the club. I also updated to Serato v2.2 as well.

I noticed that I can now change the adjustment for the firmness of the jog wheel, whereas before in HID mode the knob seemed to have no effect no matter where you had it set. Not sure if Pioneer fixed this or you guys did, but thought I should point it out.

Now though the platters seems to be super sensitive. Heaps of not just skips but in some cases - jumps. I only had to lightly touch the platter on top of the wheel and it seemed to annoy either the player or Serato.

Before in V2.1 I also noticed that if I had someone playing with me and they were using CD's they would pop the CD in and immediately start hitting the >>| next track button which would scroll through my 'Prepared' List and act as if I'd played them, wiping out the list. This weekend I noticed that this time instead it simply scrolls through the selected crate instead which did save me a few small heart attacks.

Anything I could do to help you guys out here? Anything you can suggest to help me out too? :)

Cheers,

ChrisP
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:26 PM - 6 March, 2011
Hi DankDJ,

Could you let me know if this only happens while using Vinyl mode on the CDJ2000? IF you change to CDJ mode do you get these same skips?

In terms of the other issue you are experiencing, could you please try this:

- Close Scratch Live and any other programs
- Navigate to this location:

users / username / music / ScratchLive / MIDI

rename this folder to MIDI_old

- restart Scratch Live, connect to your CDJ's and let me know if the strange scrolling still happens?

Cheers,

Sam.
DankDJ 5:49 AM - 7 March, 2011
Whoops, forgot to mention, I am using them in CDJ mode.

I learnt that because my booth is fairly accessable to the public I had to stop using them in Vinyl mode when people come up and ask to 'wiggy wiggy' on them and then do it on the deck thats live to air before I have a chance to say "NOOOOO!" :P I only use Vinyl mode when I intend on scratching.

There is a third issue that I forgot to mention. If you'd like it in a new topic I'd be happy to raise it there. Under 2.1, if I left my headphones on the platter of the playing deck for a long period of time, the music would start to slow down like I was using the pitch slider, probably dropping the speed by what sounded like upto 5%. I only experienced this twice while I was away from my decks trying to sort out something else in the club. As soon as I raced back to my decks, couldn't see anything indicating a drop in speed, I'd ift my headphones and then the original selected speed resumed. Once I realised what was happening I trained myself not to put anything on the platters so I haven't had it since. I'll try this with 2.2 and see if I can see the same issue this weekend.

With regard to the scrolling through my prepared list by hitting >>| I haven't had this issue since I upgraded to 2.2. Would you like me to try anyway?

Cheers,

ChrisP
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:00 PM - 7 March, 2011
It sounds like this might have been either a bug with a previous version, or a strange MIDI conflict that looks like it has been resolved after the update.

In terms of the pitch problems with your CDJ's in HID mode, there are some known issues that we are aware of and are currently following up with Pioneer. There are some fixes we are also working on for these platter sensitivity issues that should be coming in an update sometime in the near future.

If you use NoiseMap™ do you get any problems at all?

Sam.
Paul Seow 4:10 AM - 13 March, 2011
had the same problem with HID advance and 4.0 firmware. serato would skip mid mix. 3 times in a 1.5 hr set. cranking the platter up to heavy didn't help. happens both on my 68 and sl3 . SSL 2.2
Thibb 6:36 PM - 15 March, 2011
Hi, I have cdj 2000 firmware 4.0 and scratch live 2.2!
It's also skippin' !!! With deck 1 and cdj mode vilnyl!
Mark broadhead 10:48 AM - 26 March, 2011
Hi I have the same problem with the cdj 2000 every week they skip during 4- 5 hour set 5 or 6 times when touch the plater in hid mode tryed different powered hubs, tryed different macbook pro's tryed pram reset tryed rename midi folder running 2.22 serato and pioneer firmware 4.0 im really getting enoyed. the amount of money spent on 2 cdj 2000 pioneer djm 800 serato sl3 macbook pro i7, macbookpro duo. its getting silly there is sometings wrong and need a fix. please fix this bug.
Mr Wilks 4:48 PM - 26 March, 2011
I too had this happen the other week in front of 2000 people at our 90's weekender using a pair of 900's.
I was playing for 5 hours on and off and mid-mix i got skipping. It made many mixes sound like galloping horses and after two days of trying to figure it out i'll return to timecode.

I tried new USB cables/with and without a HUB and CDJ/Vinyl modes. It still happens.
Also, i noticed the track remain can sometimes pause and other times switch to elapsed. I put this down to a communication error (along with the skipping). Maybe they are related?

I did have a major crash after i tried to take over from another DJ at one point (Alister Whitehead!). I think after an hour Serato didn't like me coming back to play from an unused idle state. All power management is off on the laptop too and i've never had a problem until i used the CDJ 900's

Wilksie
DJ Chris Ryan 10:27 PM - 26 March, 2011
this appears to be an issue with serato 2.2, NOT with the pioneers

i kept my serato software on version 2.1.1, but did upgrade the firmware to 4.0 on my cdj 2000's...i have absolutely no issues what so ever....no skips, no audio drop outs, no irregular platter sensitivity.
easyG 8:09 AM - 2 April, 2011
I went back to using 2.1.1 and had a gig yesterday. The 'platter skip' happened to me 4-5 times in 3 hours that I played. Very frustrating. The CDJ-2000s had v3.2 firmware though.

As Pioneer and Serato are working on this issue I doubt that v4.0 is a solution. Otherwise they would have said that.
DJ Chris Ryan 8:31 AM - 2 April, 2011
as i have said...NO ISSUES WHAT SO EVER with firmware 4.0 on the cdj 2000's and serato 2.1.1.....am i just lucky...i doubt it, since i have tried this with 3 seperate laptops, but the same cdj's each time....never an issue with 2.1.1

no skips, no dropouts, no problems at all...just finished a 4 hour set tonite.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:49 PM - 4 April, 2011
Quote:
I went back to using 2.1.1 and had a gig yesterday. The 'platter skip' happened to me 4-5 times in 3 hours that I played. Very frustrating. The CDJ-2000s had v3.2 firmware though.

As Pioneer and Serato are working on this issue I doubt that v4.0 is a solution. Otherwise they would have said that.

For now, I suggest going with what DJ Chris Ryan has done, update the firmware within your 2000's and use the 2.1.1 version.
5:00 PM, 18 Apr 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.