DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

My Powerbooks DEAD

J_Static 6:10 AM - 20 June, 2007
Thanks to my wife taking my powerbook to her work for a presentation and spilling tea on the keyboard, my beloved powerbook and mass amounts of serato files and mp3's are f*cked...

Anyone know how I can extract the files from the computer, HELP!!!!!

Static
Play So-Urban 6:10 AM - 20 June, 2007
slap that hoe
Play So-Urban 6:10 AM - 20 June, 2007
no hoe-mo
DJDLO 415 7:01 AM - 20 June, 2007
DAM HOMIE!!!! i know you got a hard drive on back up son
J_Static 1:07 PM - 20 June, 2007
Play so urban, watch yo tongue playa, I said my WIFE not some hooker......

Yea DLO, I knew about it since work, went home and checked it out, it turns on but the mouse is f*cked and it's hard to access anything via keyboard, so I'm trying to find someone who knows the controls via keyboard.

yea I got a backup, but u know how it is, I got stuff on computer thats not on my backup drive and I got stuff on my backup drive that ain't on my computer.....

She's already looking to replace it with a black Macbook since Apple discontinued the Powerbook....But that's why I purchased the last series of Powerbook, because it's kind of a collecters item.....

NOW ITS A PAPER WEIGHT!! Apple said they'd charge me what the laptop is worth to crack it open and operate.....I told them to go F*CK themselves....straight highway robbery
Nicky Blunt 1:12 PM - 20 June, 2007
Quote:
Play so urban, watch yo tongue playa, I said my WIFE not some hooker......

Yea DLO, I knew about it since work, went home and checked it out, it turns on but the mouse is f*cked and it's hard to access anything via keyboard, so I'm trying to find someone who knows the controls via keyboard.

yea I got a backup, but u know how it is, I got stuff on computer thats not on my backup drive and I got stuff on my backup drive that ain't on my computer.....

She's already looking to replace it with a black Macbook since Apple discontinued the Powerbook....But that's why I purchased the last series of Powerbook, because it's kind of a collecters item.....

NOW ITS A PAPER WEIGHT!! Apple said they'd charge me what the laptop is worth to crack it open and operate.....I told them to go F*CK themselves....straight highway robbery

dude if the thing turns on and powers up but the keys & mouse are fucked why not get a usb mouse?

just a thought!

Hope it helps
cappinkirk 1:39 PM - 20 June, 2007
can you start up with "t" pressed (it will go into firewire drive mode) and get the files off with another mac?

docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

obviously this may not work if it is extra damaged
poloi3eai2 1:50 PM - 20 June, 2007
damn that sucks man. Try using a usb mouse, and invest in an external hard drive.
rabblerouser 5:42 PM - 20 June, 2007
one more thought... let it totally dry and see if it works better. my friend spilled a coke on his and it acted crazy until it dried. then it was fine. i mean i'd still probably replace it, but maybe you'll get lucky and be able to get everything off it.
DJ Silk 6:51 PM - 20 June, 2007
If she spilled someting in the keyboard then you can take the keyboard out, clean it with distilled water and air...let it try and see what happens.
I'm pretty certain that you'll laptop will be ok. Search the forum...there are a couple of threads dealing with this same type of issue.
DJ-A 8:21 PM - 20 June, 2007
try taking the drive out and putting it in another computer, if that works you can copy it onto an external
AdamJay 8:38 PM - 20 June, 2007
future reference... get one of these: www.turntablelab.com not just for faster serato use but protection also!!!!
DJMark 8:39 PM - 20 June, 2007
Firewire Target Disk Mode as mentioned above would be the first thing to try (there's one great example of "can't do that on a Windows computer" that can be a huge help in certain situations).

Basically it turns your mac into an external hard drive you can connect to another computer to retrieve the files.
J_Static 9:13 PM - 20 June, 2007
Thanks everyone for the info, I do have my G4 tower and additional HD's that I can use to store my data, that's if I can get it off this computer!

A friend of mine who is GM at the Walnut Creek Apple store said to wait till it dries and being it in so a tech can pop it open and take a look! He also said friends have had the same think occur and after completely drying it works like nothing ever spilled in it!

However what DJ wants to be mid-gig and his beloved laptop takes a dump because of a prior issue like this! So we'll see what the Apple Doc says, not to mention what it might cost to fix since I know folks.

But 4 now I will firewire mode my laptop, pull files, double check files are not corrupt and hope for the best with my laptop!

Arghh! Still dreaming this never happened!
DJ Irv 4:53 AM - 21 June, 2007
If anyone else spills liquid in their laptop the best thing to due is power off the machine, remove the battery, and power cord. Then take the machine apart and try to clean up the liquid.

If it is sticky wash the mainboard & keyboard and then dry it out very very well. Sounds crazy but i do it all the time at work. Liquid itself is bad for laptop mainly due to the current hopping across the board and the corrosion it causes.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:10 AM - 21 June, 2007
Quote:

Good way to get her to buy U a new MacBook Pro... LOL

Don't panic, here's some tips and info:

Do the Firewire Target Disk Mode thing mentioned above and get the files off.

Here's a clickable link to Target Disk Mode:

docs.info.apple.com

THEN Go to this website and view the take apart instructions for your model of powerbook:

www.ifixit.com

If you are sure the keyboard is screwed from being sticky, as Silk said take some distilled water and rinse the keyboard well and let it air dry for a day or two and try it.

If it is still screwed, the main part of that site has replacement keyboards that you can buy:

www.ifixit.com

or search ebay.

If any other components are screwed they tell you how to TOTALLY disassemble the your Powerbook to replace parts, IF you really want to try and save it.
J_Static 3:17 PM - 21 June, 2007
Wow I'm impressed by the vast knowledge some of u guys have from sites that tell u how to properly take apart my laptop and so on...

Unsure if I will try and take apart my laptop because the titanium encasing looks scary as hell to take apart!

Yea this is a good way to get wifey to buy me a new macbook pro, and she is willing to do so if it comes down to me having to scrap the powerbook!

I just like the look and feel of the powerbook not to mention again that they no longer make them! I'm an MAC ADDICT bad, hard to shake this addiction! Its like vinyl or a hot track to us DJ's!

It's like CRACK!
DJ Silk 6:10 PM - 21 June, 2007
Don't be scared to take it apart. Just take your time, make sure you have the right tools and dig in.
Once you remove the first few screws it get's easier to get into.
djrocket 10:47 PM - 21 June, 2007
Quote:
Don't be scared to take it apart. Just take your time, make sure you have the right tools and dig in.
Once you remove the first few screws it get's easier to get into.

I agree, if you're unsure of yourself.. try and videotape the initial breakdown. If you get stuck putting it back together just replay the video and your good to go. I do this all the time. Wife hates me doing this.. Maybe it's because of my philosophy "Things don't break without a reason, and if they do, I WILL give it a reason to be broken" You should try it's a great stress reliever. Just make sure the extended warranty has expired on the item...
rabblerouser 10:59 PM - 21 June, 2007
Quote:

I just like the look and feel of the powerbook not to mention again that they no longer make them! I'm an MAC ADDICT bad, hard to shake this addiction! Its like vinyl or a hot track to us DJ's!

It's like CRACK!

I know exactly how you feel. My wife wants an MBP and I'm encouraging it partly b/c then I'll have 2 12" PBs.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:00 AM - 22 June, 2007
Quote:

Unsure if I will try and take apart my laptop because the titanium encasing looks scary as hell to take apart!

Powerbooks are NOT that bad look at the iBook take apart instructions on that same site= THAT SHIT IS SCARY! I took one with a bad logic board apart to get the Hard drive out and said screw putting it back together. Apple did an amazing job making that thing.

Anyway, If you do it with your Powerbook there are TWO VERY IMPORTANT TIPS to remember:

1. go to Sears and get ALL the proper size Torx screw drivers ahead of time (About $2-3 each)
2. Get a few Ice Cube trays to hold the screws and NUMBER THEM as you take them out on the directions. All those screws look alike and need to go back where they came from. Some are magnetic, some aren't.
J_Static 2:45 PM - 22 June, 2007
Rocket, Rabblerouser and Payne thanks for the info, working too much at my 9-5 to figure out what I'm going to do cuz I definetly don't want to try and open this thing up when I am dead tired with NO SLEEP....

Hey Serato Forum GUYS: You guys are techie's!!! How about some imput people! Thanks