DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Should I ghost DJ for a friend?

Likwid 3:03 PM - 19 June, 2007
So a business acquaintance/friend asked me to make some mixes for him so he could drop them at the weddings he DJs. He hasnt really gotten the beatmatching/mixing thing down, so he wants to play the CDs I make for him part of the night and he'd play cultural music for the weddings the rest of the night.

I'd tell him I'll only do it live, but he's in another state and I do live sets when I'm in town. This is for when I'm not down to travel. And he's going to pay me.

Thoughts?
Nicky Blunt 3:06 PM - 19 June, 2007
yeah thats what I would say take a percentage of the booking based on how long you will be the dj (ie how much by percentage of the night your cd's will play for)
SloDeck 3:07 PM - 19 June, 2007
You ain't doing him any favors, if he can play your stuff, he won't learn, you will delay his progress.
Likwid 3:14 PM - 19 June, 2007
He's more concerned about getting more bookings. He can practice mixing in his basement. Its more of a business proposal than anything else for both of us.
Nicky Blunt 3:16 PM - 19 June, 2007
get ur paper sorted b4 giving him the cd
sixxx 3:20 PM - 19 June, 2007
What's to stop him from selling your mixed cd's as they won't or shouldn't have any drops?
sixxx 3:21 PM - 19 June, 2007
...and I really don't see how he can get away with this unless he takes no requests.
Likwid 3:47 PM - 19 June, 2007
Quote:
get ur paper sorted b4 giving him the cd

Already done.
Likwid 3:50 PM - 19 June, 2007
Quote:
...and I really don't see how he can get away with this unless he takes no requests.

It'll have all the bullshit people would request.
DJBlisk 4:11 PM - 19 June, 2007
If its a good buddy and he paid you... go ahead!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:53 PM - 19 June, 2007
i'd get on the mic and quietly subliminally whisper little messages peppered across the 70 minute mix.
Crickett 2:51 PM - 20 June, 2007
Take the cash. I've done it in the past.
Listen, This is a cutthroat business you've gotta do what ya gotta do.

Bada bing, Bada boom!!

LMAO
sixxx 2:52 PM - 20 June, 2007
lol @ Bada bing, Bada boom!!
Crickett 2:55 PM - 20 June, 2007
C'mon Sixx...

I had to use the Soprano's analogy while its still FRESH!!

So don't Fugetaboutit!!!

(Way too much coffee!)
cappinkirk 6:34 PM - 20 June, 2007
put loud shoutouts on the mix with your name haha

right in the middle of glamorous like...

"LIKWID IS IN THE BUILDING!!!!"

even tho you're not
cappinkirk 6:36 PM - 20 June, 2007
i would definitely do it for the cheddah esp if he is your boy

then he can act boss and just get on the mic...he will probably get addicted to using you like that and then you've got a nice little thing going...you might even end up taking over the spot and him mcing it.
Likwid 7:08 PM - 20 June, 2007
This is a good situation in my book. He's giving me what I asked, he always asks me to spin live when I'm in town, and if he's happy, he'll probably ask for more ghosting when some newer stuff comes out.

Haha, and I aint tryin to sabotage him.
Thundercat 7:10 PM - 20 June, 2007
Y'all already know I would do it. I have done it in the past on more than a few occasions. Money talks.
MSF 9:42 PM - 20 June, 2007
if its a 'business acquaintance' , then I would do it for a couple bux.

for a friend, i would do it free...

I used to do it for my friend that owns a DJ business in San Jose...He was actually my (x)-lady's big brother.
It wasn't a big deal cuz he wanted them to be 5-6 song mixes...

The mixes actually help the DJ's so that they can take a short break...Everyone was cool.. so it was not big deal.
allenbina 1:44 AM - 21 June, 2007
^+1. they keyword is friend.
DJ Bonus 3:39 AM - 21 June, 2007
Quote:
i'd get on the mic and quietly subliminally whisper little messages peppered across the 70 minute mix.

word... mad drops
but dont tell him