DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

I can't get a first gig - Where to go? What to do? =(

SJR 11:28 PM - 22 February, 2011
I've been DJing for 3 years privately, have industry standard gear, and have an EPK (5-7 current mixes (they're good - hit a lot of genres - indie dance, top 40 remix, open format, track lists, DJ flyer cards, etc)...

I've been going to some places w/o a response...

Am I supposed to go to "lower-tier" places?
Keep hammering the current "more popular locations?

Hardware: new MBP i7 2.66, 8gb RAM, SSL, TTM57SL, 1200MK2s, M447s, Butter Rugs, etc etc
djpuma_gemini 11:30 PM - 22 February, 2011
network with other dj's in your area.

Introduce yourself to them
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:31 PM - 22 February, 2011
Quote:

+1, the answers simple TALK TO PEOPLE, just just badger for a position
SJR 11:32 PM - 22 February, 2011
Quote:

Agreed - What am I supposed to ask? "hey heard of any new gigs available out there?

I wouldn't wanna sound like I'm trying to jack their weekly spot.
sacrilicious 11:33 PM - 22 February, 2011
Quote:
I've been DJing for 3 years privately, have industry standard gear, and have an EPK (5-7 current mixes (they're good - hit a lot of genres - indie dance, top 40 remix, open format, track lists, DJ flyer cards, etc)...

I've been going to some places w/o a response...

Am I supposed to go to "lower-tier" places?
Keep hammering the current "more popular locations?

Hardware: new MBP i7 2.66, 8gb RAM, SSL, TTM57SL, 1200MK2s, M447s, Butter Rugs, etc etc

Equipment doesn't warrant a gig. You need to "pay your dues" with the circuit of smaller bars and clubs and house parties. Also network with other DJs and try to get an opening slot for them.
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:37 PM - 22 February, 2011
yea just talk to the dj's at clubs and that, chances are they's use you like their bitch (not prison style) and you will gain a lot of experience and contacts and may even get a gig at the place on quite nights
SJR 11:37 PM - 22 February, 2011
Equipment doesn't warrant a gig. You need to "pay your dues" with the circuit of smaller bars and clubs and house parties. Also network with other DJs and try to get an opening slot for them.

I listed the equipment b/c I thought "terrible equipment" may warrant NOT getting a gig. It's also what I've been on since day one.
SJR 11:38 PM - 22 February, 2011
Quote:
yea just talk to the dj's at clubs and that, chances are they's use you like their bitch (not prison style) and you will gain a lot of experience and contacts and may even get a gig at the place on quite nights

yeah - that's turning out to be the consensus fairly quickly. good advice...
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:38 PM - 22 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed - What am I supposed to ask? "hey heard of any new gigs available out there?

I wouldn't wanna sound like I'm trying to jack their weekly spot.

refer to my above post

Quote:
Quote:

+1, the answers simple TALK TO PEOPLE, just just badger for a position

Your basically applying for a social job in a social establishment, none of these currently working DJs owe you anything, hang out at the establishments on off nights or early on in the night and get to know the staff. Befriend them, get to know them, eventually throw em a mix or 2, keep a buzz about yourself and when an opening happens somewhere mabye theyll clue you in on when and where to be to make it happen.
Kepik 12:25 AM - 23 February, 2011
You can also try become friends with promoters. I got my big break by befriending a promoter who recommended me to the main promoter boss. I also landed a residency spot through a craigslist ad. The person was a DJ who needed another DJ to cover him. I covered him, but apparently, the bar owner liked my mixing and offered me his job...I didn't want to be a douche and take his job, but we talked it over and he realized, it was best that I take his Fridays and he keeps his Saturdays so it gives him an extra day off.
dj poisonous handz 12:26 AM - 23 February, 2011
become a promoter.now a days 90% of djs are promoters with laptops.sickening.
Kepik 12:30 AM - 23 February, 2011
Quote:
become a promoter.now a days 90% of djs are promoters with laptops.sickening.

true...and when I ever play for their events, they main boss is always pushing for me to promote :P
dj poisonous handz 12:38 AM - 23 February, 2011
yep.sadly thats what it is now a days.any asswad can become a dj if he has 50 friends, a macbook and serato.take away serato and theyd be alot less djs. even with no serato and just mp3's theyd still to be too lazy to burn the mp3s on cd.lets not even talk about going out and digging.nowadays if your a awesome promoter with zero experience your on the road to riches.sickening.
DJ Bozak 12:51 AM - 23 February, 2011
Unfortunately skills does not equal gigs... Grind, get your online presence up to par, be professional

Nowadays bar and club owners don't even listen to your mixes, only thing they want to know is do you have a following i.e. Facebook Friends, Twitter Followers, Email Lists etc...
DJWarrenKelly 1:06 AM - 23 February, 2011
Quote:
Unfortunately skills does not equal gigs... Grind, get your online presence up to par, be professional

Nowadays bar and club owners don't even listen to your mixes, only thing they want to know is do you have a following i.e. Facebook Friends, Twitter Followers, Email Lists etc...

+1
DJ=Promoter
Lame..but it is what it is ...unless you hook up with a promoter with all the people and skillz to pack the place.
DjWoody 2:06 AM - 23 February, 2011
Where are you located? Do you have any mixes online?
DJ Remy USA 3:12 AM - 23 February, 2011
this is why I never get any gigs. I play in bedroom and have been for the past 3 years with gig here and there. Here is my advice

Fuck befriending people for gigs its a waste of time and it doesnt guarantee you a thing.

stay tru to yourself and get your skills up. Did you know most of the really well paid DJs have been doing it for 10 years plus.

The game is over saturated point blank. When DJing is not a fad anymore trust me gigs will open up for the poeple who are still around

Try going for the regular gigs that no one wants or try finding a spot that just a has a slow night see if you can work something out with the management were you can play for 10-15% of the bar...then pack that mofo.

Remain professional at all times and jus keep it at. Let me tell you in my 3 years of trying to gig out I had a lot of let downs but it doesnt stop me from practicing and growing my library and learning my library

All in all the times are different you can get with other DJs but its a real cut throat market.

Try going the DMC route its a great way to get noticed if you have skill. Enter every local DJ competition that is offered.

Everyone else advice although not bad advice is very general and it might not get you the results you want

Keep em spinning
djpuma_gemini 5:15 AM - 23 February, 2011
Post a thread on the djing discussions saying. where my (insert location here) dj's at.

and see who posts and ask them where they spin and tell them you want to come and check them out and eventually they'll probably let you spin for a little bit or fill in when they get double booked.

or sit at home and prowl craigslist for dj gigs with bar tab plus food.
DJWarrenKelly 5:19 AM - 23 February, 2011
or sit at home and prowl craigslist for dj gigs with bar tab plus food.

Yea..cuz thats all you'll be lucky to get..Craigslist is for Freejays not Dj's
DJ Tecniq 6:52 AM - 23 February, 2011
my advice get some professional business cards done, pass out demo's, if you have facebook use mixcloud to upload your mixes and post that shit on fb mad quick..
echa1945mf 12:35 PM - 23 February, 2011
if youre in indonesia its easy to find gigs at clubs for newbie dj that has tits
GinoSoccioHasAPosse 1:15 PM - 23 February, 2011
Make friends with people in the service industry - waiters, bartenders, strippers, bouncers, etc. It's probably better to go the indirect route than just chatting up DJs since they are inherently going to be territorial. But a bartender friend will have no problem throwing you a gig on an off night when they need someone.

At this point, experience is more valuable than money. Spin for free if you have to. Reading a room is one of the biggest skills you have to learn as a DJ, and you cant learn this spinning in your bedroom. IMO, a DJ that can read a room well could rock a party with iTunes vs. a DJ who can't with the fanciest gear.
Dubplate10" 1:51 PM - 23 February, 2011
Without reading the posts

1: Start your own night with friends
2: See above
GinoSoccioHasAPosse 1:55 PM - 23 February, 2011
Quote:
Make friends with people in the service industry - waiters, bartenders, strippers, bouncers, etc. It's probably better to go the indirect route than just chatting up DJs since they are inherently going to be territorial. But a bartender friend will have no problem throwing you a gig on an off night when they need someone.

At this point, experience is more valuable than money. Spin for free if you have to. Reading a room is one of the biggest skills you have to learn as a DJ, and you cant learn this spinning in your bedroom. IMO, a DJ that can read a room well could rock a party with iTunes vs. a DJ who can't with the fanciest gear.

Also, I should add: don't try too hard to be getting gigs. It's gonna sound very zen, but try to detach from any desire to start DJing. Just be cool and meet people and one day you'll eventually be asked to DJ. The more you seem like you need it the more distrustful people will be and will be reluctant to help you out. Going to clubs and hounding the promoters with mixtapes seems desperate. You want to give off the vibe like you're already a respected DJ and the gigs just come to you.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:22 PM - 23 February, 2011
Quote:
this is why I never get any gigs. I play in bedroom and have been for the past 3 years with gig here and there. Here is my advice

Fuck befriending people for gigs its a waste of time and it doesnt guarantee you a thing.

stay tru to yourself and get your skills up. Did you know most of the really well paid DJs have been doing it for 10 years plus.

The game is over saturated point blank. When DJing is not a fad anymore trust me gigs will open up for the poeple who are still around

Try going for the regular gigs that no one wants or try finding a spot that just a has a slow night see if you can work something out with the management were you can play for 10-15% of the bar...then pack that mofo.

Remain professional at all times and jus keep it at. Let me tell you in my 3 years of trying to gig out I had a lot of let downs but it doesnt stop me from practicing and growing my library and learning my library

All in all the times are different you can get with other DJs but its a real cut throat market.

Try going the DMC route its a great way to get noticed if you have skill. Enter every local DJ competition that is offered.

Everyone else advice although not bad advice is very general and it might not get you the results you want

Keep em spinning

you gotta love advice from someone who starts the advice out with "this is why i never get gigs and only play in the bedroom" lol
OB One 3:00 PM - 23 February, 2011
I was in the same position about 6 months ago. Best thing to do has already been mentioned - Befriend other DJs. In my city I would say about 90% of the Djs are cool and willing to help out a youngen (10% douchbaggery). I have a good friend whos won "best DJ" a couple times and I would roll with him and do opening sets on his guest spots. Benefits:

1. I gained expierence
2. I gained notoriety
3. I gained contacts

Not all of the contacts panned out but the main benifit was #2... when I approached so and so promoter or so and so general manager you can now say "I travel with so and so and have spun at X, Y, and Z club. Also other DJs have other friends = led to more relationships.

6 months ago didnt have more then a few random guest spots now I rotate 5 spots monthly all over the city. Moral of the story... MAKE FRIENDS.
SeriousCyrus 3:36 PM - 23 February, 2011
I emailed all the clubs I wanted to play at telling them why I thought I'd be good for their club, one got back to me.

Also make friends, I'm sure it helped I knew one of the guys behind the bar, even though they only worked a couple of weeks there, enough to put in a good word.
DJ Remy USA 8:49 PM - 23 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Keep em spinning

you gotta love advice from someone who starts the advice out with "this is why i never get gigs and only play in the bedroom" lol

M bezzle i choose not to take gigs first of all.
Second getting gigs in clubs is not why I started DJing to be honest the club is not were a good DJ is a appreciated at least not anymore
I have been doing music since I was 9 years old so Im not newbie to this entertainment business

I gave him that advice because I see way to many new guys brown nosing to get gigs. They normally end up somebody's bitch for relatively low pay. Thats not paying dues and it has nothing to do with culture although some veteran DJs beg to differ because thats how they paid there dues.
DJ Remy USA 8:51 PM - 23 February, 2011
@ mbezzle here is my website check my resume. I have spun at many places around the US on someone else's dime.

www.wix.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:08 PM - 23 February, 2011
Quote:

I gave him that advice because I see way to many new guys brown nosing to get gigs. They normally end up somebody's bitch for relatively low pay. Thats not paying dues and it has nothing to do with culture although some veteran DJs beg to differ because thats how they paid there dues.

theres a large difference between "brown nosing" and making friends
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:09 PM - 23 February, 2011
youll notice the 1st piece of advice i gave him was dont just badger for gigs
ta2423 9:42 PM - 23 February, 2011
Its pretty simple... Be creative and if you dont have a hustle... Sorry.
Peeps can tell you all day long on how to get gigs.
You as an individual have to just get out there and get it.
We have microwave dj's but good gigs are oven baked.
Henry GQ 9:46 PM - 23 February, 2011
u just need to go in someones dj booth. rip em out. and straight scratch all over. the crowd will go crazy and the managers/owners will notice you. they will fire their dj on the spot and hire you. plus they'll line u up with a crazy amount of girls... u'll be set. make sure u give the dj u rip out a black eye... so he knows to buy u drinks all night. now thats the way to do it

nah seriously... make friends with the djs.. the managers . the bar owners if they are ever around. go for smaller spots. deader spots... or get in with mobile djs. sometimes they have accounts at bars/clubs..

sometimes its good to know all the sound system and lighting installers. they can get u in into new places.
Henry GQ 9:47 PM - 23 February, 2011
i always say start with a mobile dj. u will learn some foundation. very very important!
Mr. Goodkat 9:54 PM - 23 February, 2011
handle it like this Watchwww.youtube.com
Henry GQ 10:05 PM - 23 February, 2011
awesome!

rockers man!
Henry GQ 10:11 PM - 23 February, 2011
thats cool and all but u gotta do it liek this...

Watchwww.youtube.com
ta2423 6:19 AM - 24 February, 2011
^ That was years ago... With enough practice you can be just like him.
Dysquo 8:58 AM - 24 February, 2011
Quote:

Quote:

+100

The business is about relationships. Your network is your Net-Worth! Talk to other DJs, ask them if you can open,etc. Talk To bar mangers, bartenders, etc. Find out who does the booking. Contact them directly.

Get our online presence up, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter. More people you know, more exposure you have.

Enter contests, if you feel you have the skills 2 win. Get interviews on blogs, etc...

Relationships and publicity let people know you are around. If you have the skills to back it up, you'll win!

www.Dubset.com
djbanno 12:49 PM - 24 February, 2011
I started from house party's. Get a good following behind the scenes and it will hopefully flow on.
DjWoody 7:28 PM - 24 February, 2011
Start throwing your own parties!
DJ Benny B NYC 7:38 PM - 24 February, 2011
Quote:
Start throwing your own parties!

best advice. if you have a lot of friends who will come to parties at your house regularly, transitioning those parties to a bar will be easy enough...

if this is impossible for you just start hanging around the places and badgering until someone gives you a break - basically what the other guys said. its alot easier if youre a popular person, but if youre kind of a loner you can still do it
Discobee 7:57 PM - 24 February, 2011
Here's an unusual way on how I got some mobile gigs in the early 2000's:

1. Went on Craigslist looking for some gear (pre Serato days)
2. Bought a bunch of gear from a DJ that was relocating to another State; he worked for Microsoft
3. I had a mix CD with me to test out the gear he was selling; then I gave him the CD after I bought the gear.
3. That guy called me back and gave me all his mobile gigs (4 gigs) that he had already booked for that year after he listened to my mix CD.
4. Those mobile gigs led to networking with people there, handing out business cards, emailing them mixes (mp3 links, etc.)
5. Which led to more corporate gigs, weddings and other private events.

For club gigs:

1. I was playing at a college bar for sh** pay
2. Bumped into another DJ from the region who was pretty well known (also on the forum) at a record shop one day.
3. Chatted him up and we started talking shop.
4. Handed him some mix CDs the next time I saw him.
5. Took in some constructive criticism about my mixing style (mobile DJ style vs club DJ style) so that I could improve upon.
6. Was asked to DJ an event with him for a charity cause and showed him that I was dependable
7. Down the road, got called back for paid gigs at various venues
8. Those opportunities allowed me to network with people in the bar industry to branch out.

So, the common denominator is the networking part...doesn't have to always be at a bar or club or with promoters...but just network...meaning be social, be respectful and just meet and talk to people. Don't be desperate, don't give up, be somewhat persistent...opportunities will come.
CMOS 9:16 PM - 24 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Also, I should add: don't try too hard to be getting gigs. It's gonna sound very zen, but try to detach from any desire to start DJing. Just be cool and meet people and one day you'll eventually be asked to DJ. The more you seem like you need it the more distrustful people will be and will be reluctant to help you out. Going to clubs and hounding the promoters with mixtapes seems desperate. You want to give off the vibe like you're already a respected DJ and the gigs just come to you.

LOL The first rule of getting a gig..........is not wanting to get a gig. This forum rules.
SJR 6:54 PM - 25 February, 2011
Quote:
You can also try become friends with promoters. I got my big break by befriending a promoter who recommended me to the main promoter boss. I also landed a residency spot through a craigslist ad. The person was a DJ who needed another DJ to cover him. I covered him, but apparently, the bar owner liked my mixing and offered me his job...I didn't want to be a douche and take his job, but we talked it over and he realized, it was best that I take his Fridays and he keeps his Saturdays so it gives him an extra day off.

very true - I've begun to approach these ppl - the whole promotion = DJ is a bit true from my point of view
SJR 6:56 PM - 25 February, 2011
Quote:

Yeah - I have I a good following - only have Youtube and Soundcloud now - I'll have to go for more
SJR 6:59 PM - 25 February, 2011
without trying to quote everything (for recognition of reading your post) - I've read them all - the conversation is awesome - Thanks for the advice

I definitely agree the commons are 1. networking 2. you have to have some "actual" DJ skills. 3. (see 1.)
Awesome steve 7:18 PM - 25 February, 2011
How I got my first gig:

went to local bar by my old house when I still lived there. Proceded to drink there all the time. Noticed they had a sign that said 'Dj every Thu Fri and Sat'. They only had a Dj on Fri and Sat. Told the manager that I could do Thursdays. She had me on the following thursday, and I killed it with old school hiphop (80's, 90's, some newer stuff).

She then moved me to Wednesdays, because there was a better drink special, and she said that people would stay longer if there was a Dj. Been there ever since.

Sometimes they don't get live bands on Friday or the Saturday Dj will call in. I'm there to the rescue!

Also, I've used that residency as a reference to get gigs in other bars for things like st. Patty's day, new years, etc. Also did their Christmas party.
Kepik 7:20 PM - 25 February, 2011
Quote:

very true - I've begun to approach these ppl - the whole promotion = DJ is a bit true from my point of view

If you think about it, even if we are "pressured" to promote for these lazy promoters, it works out for us in the long run. We gain marketability skills and these people we bring in to their events will be our loyal followers. Should we decide to move on elsewhere, they will follow us. So who knows, these people whom you find randomly or through friend's friends could very well know or be a key contact in the nightlife industry.

So what it boils down to is pretty much....network!
DjWoody 7:23 PM - 25 February, 2011
You still didn't mentioned what city you're from.
Awesome steve 7:35 PM - 25 February, 2011
His profile says he's from Oakland.
Kepik 7:46 PM - 25 February, 2011
Quote:

Isn't DjWoody referring to SJR?
DjWoody 10:37 PM - 25 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Isn't DjWoody referring to SJR?

Yes!
Awesome steve 11:28 PM - 25 February, 2011
Sorry..... Brainfart.

Or was it a beer fart? *hic*
Dj Farhan 5:49 PM - 26 February, 2011
jbnyc 6:57 PM - 26 February, 2011
start doing mobile events,my very first gig was my cousins sweet sixteen (for free of course) and got 2 parties out of that one,the best advertisement is the word of mouth,make sure you put like 4 or 5 business cards on each and every table at every gig,good luck!!
DouggyFresh 9:05 PM - 26 February, 2011
Depending if you're in college or not (or have friends in college), sometimes you can get aligned with various fraternity groups and DJ their parties, often times those type of events are easily transitioned to a club when they get bigger... Really, I think as far as a DJ, the bigger the street team you can assemble will determine the size and scope of your future events.
ral 5:31 PM - 28 February, 2011
work with fellow friends in the business (photographer, videographer, caterer, etc) -
Dj Shamann 6:29 PM - 28 February, 2011
Quote:

I listed the equipment b/c I thought "terrible equipment" may warrant NOT getting a gig. It's also what I've been on since day one.

It makes absolutely no difference, you're listing RAM as if anybody really gives a shit when it comes time to play, the sooner you forget about how pretty your set up is, the better you'll be. Since more often than not in the stage your at, you're going to play dive bars with antique gear, get used to it.

Secondly I feel bad for this generation at times because your skills don't mean much if you're trying to break into the mainstream market, it's all about how many Facebook friends you have, and how much the bar can take advantage of you by getting you to do all the legwork by pulling x amount of people every week, while paying you fuck all in comparison to the work you've put in.

My advice, yeah networking is cool and all, but you're just making friends with other Dj's fighting for their own survival, this is a cutthroat business. It's good to know people but don't put all your eggs in that basket. Build your following. Make mixes regularly and get them out there to people, not other Dj's, but regular bar going people. Figure out a way to set yourself a bit (just a bit, you don't have to be a game changer yet) in order to connect with these people. People talk about and pass around good music, eventually through the grapevine you'll make enough local noise that promoters will hear you. But in the meantime while you're waiting for them to come to you, do it for yourself. Find a bar that is not so busy, or a new upstart spot and negotiate a night with them. You'll have built a bit of a following by then so you can hopefully guarantee one busy night to jump off, while showing the venue how well you can control a crowd (and more importantly how much money they can make with you) and then you have a bit of leverage, you're not calling the shots yet but if they're smart they'll kick in some promo funds etc to help get them to where they want their bar to be, you're helping each other out.

Never bank on it being a good turnout right away, but if it's looking like your pulling in a steady crowd, have a special "one off" one night, maybe find out one of your crowd is having a birthday and make sure they have it at your spot, make them feel special, make it a theme night as well so it seems like an event the rest of the crowd can't miss. Then you invite whatever influential people are within your reach, a local promoter, someone with pull or good business ideas, even if they're just building themselves, if they see how you run a crowd their dollar sign wheels will turn and you can both take the conversation from there.

Make sure you record the night. A hype recording of a succesful night will go along way, people hear that shit and say "i wish i was there" all the while you're shouting out the next even on the mic (just don't overdo it) so the more they listen to that tape the more they'll be reminded of the up coming bash.

It's up to you man, use your surroundings to your advantage, exploit your resources. A noobie with that kind of set up has to have at least a few bucks in his pocket, use your flow and don't sit around waiting on a hand out from some scumbag promoter at the local shit club who's just going to fuck you out of a good nights pay anyway. Spend your energy on you, not on someone else.
DJ Remy USA 8:28 PM - 28 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

It makes absolutely no difference, you're listing RAM as if anybody really gives a shit when it comes time to play, the sooner you forget about how pretty your set up is, the better you'll be. Since more often than not in the stage your at, you're going to play dive bars with antique gear, get used to it.

Secondly I feel bad for this generation at times because your skills don't mean much if you're trying to break into the mainstream market, it's all about how many Facebook friends you have, and how much the bar can take advantage of you by getting you to do all the legwork by pulling x amount of people every week, while paying you fuck all in comparison to the work you've put in.

My advice, yeah networking is cool and all, but you're just making friends with other Dj's fighting for their own survival, this is a cutthroat business. It's good to know people but don't put all your eggs in that basket. Build your following. Make mixes regularly and get them out there to people, not other Dj's, but regular bar going people. Figure out a way to set yourself a bit (just a bit, you don't have to be a game changer yet) in order to connect with these people. People talk about and pass around good music, eventually through the grapevine you'll make enough local noise that promoters will hear you. But in the meantime while you're waiting for them to come to you, do it for yourself. Find a bar that is not so busy, or a new upstart spot and negotiate a night with them. You'll have built a bit of a following by then so you can hopefully guarantee one busy night to jump off, while showing the venue how well you can control a crowd (and more importantly how much money they can make with you) and then you have a bit of leverage, you're not calling the shots yet but if they're smart they'll kick in some promo funds etc to help get them to where they want their bar to be, you're helping each other out.

Never bank on it being a good turnout right away, but if it's looking like your pulling in a steady crowd, have a special "one off" one night, maybe find out one of your crowd is having a birthday and make sure they have it at your spot, make them feel special, make it a theme night as well so it seems like an event the rest of the crowd can't miss. Then you invite whatever influential people are within your reach, a local promoter, someone with pull or good business ideas, even if they're just building themselves, if they see how you run a crowd their dollar sign wheels will turn and you can both take the conversation from there.

Make sure you record the night. A hype recording of a succesful night will go along way, people hear that shit and say "i wish i was there" all the while you're shouting out the next even on the mic (just don't overdo it) so the more they listen to that tape the more they'll be reminded of the up coming bash.

It's up to you man, use your surroundings to your advantage, exploit your resources. A noobie with that kind of set up has to have at least a few bucks in his pocket, use your flow and don't sit around waiting on a hand out from some scumbag promoter at the local shit club who's just going to fuck you out of a good nights pay anyway. Spend your energy on you, not on someone else.

thats exactly the message I was trying to get across to the guy.