Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

15 or 18 inch sub?

djfrancov 10:24 PM - 17 February, 2011
i do use a 18 inch sub and i like the low end, but im thinking of getting a 15'' sub couse of size and weight..... i heard that a 15 inch sub has more punch, is that true?
DjBrianDowling 12:17 AM - 18 February, 2011
this is a serato itch forum not a forum for speakers.

this question is impossible to answer without know what make of speakers you are looking for.

some 15inch subs are better designed that 18inch and are a lot more expensive, have light weight drivers and so on.......
djfrancov 12:31 AM - 18 February, 2011
Brian....I been on this forums sense 05 when i first got my SL1, in general discussion i been posting general things for a long time..... there is lots of mobile dj's out there that can give a honest opinion. I just need a over all feedback on it.
DjBrianDowling 12:40 AM - 18 February, 2011
general discussion on itch i would think

I would imagine posting a speaker related question should be posted on a speaker related forum, i would imagine you might get a more educated answer
djfrancov 12:45 AM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:

some 15inch subs are better designed that 18inch and are a lot more expensive, have light weight drivers and so on.......

Thanx for your feedback Brian..
MusicDan 4:37 AM - 18 February, 2011
Hey Francov, I have been pondering getting a new sub. I was looking into the Cerwin Vega CV115. 700 wats RMS self amplified. $699 It also weighs 92 pounds. I looked into the Mackie SRM 1801, 500 wats RMS self amplified, also $699. It weighs 73 pounds. The dimensions are similar, so I think I'm gonna go with the Mackie for weight purposes.
ontime1269 4:57 AM - 18 February, 2011
Wow! I can't believe how light they make subs these days. I have an old Mackie SRS-1500 and it weighs 88lbs. They must not be using real wood anymore. That Mackie SRM-1801 used to weigh in at close to 130lbs IIRC.

MusicDan, have you heard that Mackie 1801? Does it pound?
MusicDan 5:33 AM - 18 February, 2011
No, but I plan to go to GC or Sam Ash before I buy. I get most of my gear at American Musical Supply. www.americanmusical.com

They break down your payments into 3 or 5 months depending on how much you spend. You pay the same as anywhere else, but it makes it allot easier to buy, and no credit check.
ontime1269 8:03 AM - 18 February, 2011
Yeah, Americam Musical is a nice site. I've ordered plenty from them. Just ordered a Numark X5 from them Wednesday, which should be here today. Let us know how that sub sounds after you take a listen to it this weekend.
djfrancov 12:26 PM - 18 February, 2011
zzounds.com has a 4 payment breakdown.... plus price match. This weekend guitar center has a 15% of, so i asked ZZounds to price match guitar center discounted price.Lets see what they say..lol. money is tight. Thank you guys.
djkrazyleo 1:55 PM - 18 February, 2011
i personally dont mind the weight so i went the yorkville ls 801p they are about 125lbs but the weight is worth the sound and quality oh yae they are 18 inch subs i play mostly reggae,r & b,hip hop so i need that extra bump.
Jsavino 12:42 PM - 23 February, 2011
Quote:
general discussion on itch i would think

I would imagine posting a speaker related question should be posted on a speaker related forum, i would imagine you might get a more educated answer

who made this guy the internet police?
Viz 8:38 PM - 25 February, 2011
If you're only looking for additional punch then go for 12's and keep or upgrade the 18.
15's and 18's perform very similar and neither are meant for midrange reproduction. But 12's will give more midrange kick -> a punchier sound with a decent crossover setup and lots of juice.

For subs Decent 18's + a lot of juice imo is the way to go. I've had great luck with these: www.eminence.com

I would poke around on ebay for a decent used cab. Then pick up a woofer that matches the enclosure.

Atm I run 2 enclosures each with 2 kilo 18's wired @ 4ohm + 2 qsc rmx 2450's running bridged. One for each cab. The whole sub setup cost under 2k via ebay. Took a few months of searching for deals but it was worth it.

If you're looking at 15's these hit hard and low: www.eminence.com
Their pretty cheap via ebay: instruments.shop.ebay.com

Either way just make sure you have enough wattage to push emm and that the enclosure internal space and porting matches the woofer requirements.

@djkrazyleo
Yorkville rocks. They make some really great sounding stuff ;)
Dj Steve Mixx 7:32 PM - 3 March, 2011
Just purchased a Vega- CVA118. HEAVY as SH*T.. haven't tested out live yet but will saturday. the low end shook the house 700 watts good sturdy speaker. mapp is 899 but paid 822 totalfrom GC
Paco71 9:40 PM - 3 March, 2011
And what about RCF, the 8003 AS (18" self amplified) or the 905 AS (15" Self Amplified).
DJrexx6 6:35 AM - 4 March, 2011
I use 2 Harbinger 18" subs... they hit pretty hard... check em out. Got them at Guitar Center.. about 400 each I think.
Maskrider 6:47 AM - 4 March, 2011
It doesnt matter if it's 15 or 18 what matter is the power handling. Always look at Max SPL (db) when buying a sub.
Kmxorbit 9:13 AM - 4 March, 2011
I heared the comment also that there is no audible difference between a good 15" and 18" sub. If so, why are 18" subs still in production?
Ok, Max SPL(db) is something to look at, but the older I get, the more I look at smallest Weight and Size.

Personally I use 2x Mackie SWA 1501 subs... (I call them "the nutcrackers" ^^)
Paco71 10:20 AM - 4 March, 2011
I'm not agree there is a great difference between 15 " an 18 " subs,

The 18 " give a more deeper sound over the 15" (for the infra bass).
The 15 " is for a more punchy Bass..

In big systems you have both because they are complementary.
Kmxorbit 1:28 PM - 4 March, 2011
Quote:
I'm not agree there is a great difference between 15 " an 18 " subs,

The 18 " give a more deeper sound over the 15" (for the infra bass).
The 15 " is for a more punchy Bass..

In big systems you have both because they are complementary.

That's what i thought myself. I also have the (non scientific) impression 18" produce a deeper sound then 15" subs...
djfrancov 2:24 PM - 4 March, 2011
Yes, the 18's have deeper bass....i just got my Behringers B812 Neo and the sub B1500D-pro.... I tested them at home but with 3000 rms watts all together imma need more extension cords...lol
djkrazyleo 2:57 PM - 4 March, 2011
@ djfrancov that is a serious in expensive set up i heard those behringer subs very nice for the money i,m actually thinking of getting a pair i actually have 4 B815 Neos i love them hardly ever need to take out my subs the are so punchy and crisp.
BadBoyChubs 4:49 PM - 4 March, 2011
Hear JBl with the crown are great,

i wonder the sound of behringers
Paco71 9:47 PM - 4 March, 2011
Quote:
Hear JBl with the crown are great,

I Agree, I heard them too and tehy sound great...
djkrazyleo 9:56 PM - 4 March, 2011
behringer came along way i was never a fan of them but they got me with the neo dsp speakers just check them out yourself .
djfrancov 11:28 PM - 4 March, 2011
@djkrazyleo I had the first series of the B415DSP and they were badass but too heavy..i sold them and i got the B812neo....i got the sub just in case...i love that they are very light but super loud....Behringer is kicking ass with their new products. Im a fan.
djkrazyleo 12:10 AM - 5 March, 2011
+1
DJ Cs 1:48 AM - 5 March, 2011
Quote:
@djkrazyleo I had the first series of the B415DSP and they were badass but too heavy..i sold them and i got the B812neo....i got the sub just in case...i love that they are very light but super loud....Behringer is kicking ass with their new products. Im a fan.

+1.

Definitely stepping up on the quality.
Maskrider 12:38 PM - 5 March, 2011
I would'nt put my money on a Behringer.
djfrancov 1:32 PM - 5 March, 2011
i owned 2 of the full range 15's for a year...never a problem and they sound amazing, thats why i got their new neo line 12's with 1000 rms power they are loud...
djkrazyleo 4:15 PM - 6 March, 2011
i know behringer left alot of bad taste in peoples mouth but trust me they,ve improve had my neos for about a year myself never had any problem.
Kmxorbit 10:15 PM - 6 March, 2011
Behringer never had a bad taste in my mouth, as they deliver good professional material for a cheap price.
I remember I played with the DX1000 mixer in the past (That was my second choice when the rodec mixer wasn't available at the rental company) That was a very good all-round mixer for a very cheap price.
I even believe they have a succesor now for it. (DX2000?)
djkrazyleo 12:30 AM - 7 March, 2011
i here you i,m with you but for some people i guest they got a bad deal through them so thats why i said that.