DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Just moved to a new city, how am I supposed to get gigs?

LightsOut06 6:05 PM - 13 June, 2007
I dont know anyone. Im here pretty much by myself. I've been djing since I was 15 (23 now) so when I was in my hometown it was easy to get gigs purely do to connections. In my new city I have zero connections. What do you think I should do get gigs?
dj cubicle 6:07 PM - 13 June, 2007
1. Where are you now?

2. What do you spin?
cappinkirk 6:34 PM - 13 June, 2007
talk to people outside of your home/apartment

particularly people working at clubs, bars, etc.

hopefully you have a website/mixtape/other promotional channel (the proof is in the pudding)

or...

sleep with a hot woman who owns a club
dirtbag filthy 6:37 PM - 13 June, 2007
just get out in the clubs/bars and talk to the djs and promoters
cappinkirk 6:48 PM - 13 June, 2007
or 3. wait for the world to beat a path to your door (you better be remarkable in this case)
De LA 7:30 PM - 13 June, 2007
just like you said.. you have zero connections. Go make some.
AlexRage 7:34 PM - 13 June, 2007
did you move to a cd where everyone is a dj, like chicago?
AlexRage 7:45 PM - 13 June, 2007
cd = city..im retarted.
AFR33K1000 8:07 PM - 13 June, 2007
Get on knees and plant Tulips
sixxx 8:09 PM - 13 June, 2007
Quote:
Get on knees and plant Tulips

hahahaha.

The stuff you people come up with. lol

If you don't have business cards, make some and pass them around to potential customers, etc.
cappinkirk 8:25 PM - 13 June, 2007
have someone to go into a club you want to dj (preferably a hot lady friend of yours) and have her ask if you work there & talk you up real big to a lot of people there, including people who work there if possible. have her do that for at least an hour on a couple occasions, even have her accidentally leave a (must be tight) mixtape there of yours if possible. if your number or website is on the mix then that is even better. do this at every club. its an old hustle. feel free to tweak the hustle.

you can do it yourself too but it probably won't work as well.
DJ Irv 8:40 PM - 13 June, 2007
What City, What do you play?
LightsOut06 9:02 PM - 13 June, 2007
I'm in kansas city now. i spin rap, top 40, etc.
DJ Irv 9:12 PM - 13 June, 2007
Make some CD's, Business Cards, get some old flyers with your name on them and find those scumbag promoters.
poloi3eai2 2:13 PM - 14 June, 2007
Make friends with other DJ's and some good ol promotion. Make a myspace if you dont already have one. Make a demo CD and pass it out to anyone, same with business cards.