DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

the whole digital thing is fuzzy

cappinkirk 2:43 PM - 12 June, 2007
maybe this is resolved somewhere else but:

what happens in a household when 1 person owns a digital track and they want their bro or sis to hear it. back in the day my mom would give me a record and i could play it and then she would even give it to me to keep.

nowadays does everyone in the household have to pay for the right to hear it? and then no giving it away afterwards either? does it need to be sold or can it not be sold to other people from that moment? what good would selling it do when the artist would not profit from the transaction?

is all of this correct? does anyone have any facts or know the locations of any resources relating to this issue?
derby 3:02 PM - 12 June, 2007
you don't "own" the track, you only have license to listen to it.

so it really depends on the license you agreed to when you purchased the track (or signed up to the store where you purchased it).

now, you likely can't give the track to somebody else, but letting them listen to it shouldn't be an issue.

itunes, for example, even facilitates this. if you have multiple machines running itunes on a network, they can see and listen each others' libraries and shared playlists.
cappinkirk 3:07 PM - 12 June, 2007
right but do you see the difference? what ownership did I have of the record vs. the ownership of this non-media format?

I could hand the record down several generations and anyone could listen to it right? there is no simple way to hand them the track to listen to other than burning a disc (is that legal?)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:30 PM - 12 June, 2007
Burning to a disk is legal and fair use as long as the disk is yours. You can LOAN it to a friend.

I like to think of it like Vinyl Albums in the old days. You can play a Album for your friend but it is yours. You can give your Album to a friend (burn to a CD - removes copy protection) but legally you should delete the files from you computer just like giving him the Vinyl album.

You could also record parts or all of the Vinyl album to Cassette (or in this case burn to CD) for your friend but this illegal also BUT I'm sure the internet police or RIAA will NOT kick in your door for a few tracks on CD.

Best way to give it to a friend is "Gift the Song/Album" to them via iTunes.
cappinkirk 3:33 PM - 12 June, 2007
how many cd's can i burn legally? i want to be clear about the facts. legally i delete the files? that's no longer ownership then??? i'm really looking for facts, not assumptions or guesses.
Nicky Blunt 3:37 PM - 12 June, 2007
then go to the riaa site!
Nicky Blunt 3:37 PM - 12 June, 2007
sorry tat sounds quite rude!
I never ment it that way!

Just trying to help!
cappinkirk 3:39 PM - 12 June, 2007
no you're good i appreciate it thanks for the resources!
Nicky Blunt 3:39 PM - 12 June, 2007
www.riaa.com

hope that helps
dj skraps 3:55 PM - 12 June, 2007
what happens when you and a friend go half on a cd?....do you own half and if so what half do you own? just curious. :)
Nicky Blunt 3:57 PM - 12 June, 2007
you own the side with the label I own the side with the data cool?
dj skraps 4:05 PM - 12 June, 2007
Ahhh...you scammer!
cappinkirk 4:09 PM - 12 June, 2007
hahaha
cappinkirk 4:09 PM - 12 June, 2007
these laws appear designed to screw consumers
Nicky Blunt 4:14 PM - 12 June, 2007
Yeah but I'll hook you up with a copy!!!! LOL Just dont tell the mods

(sam josh obviously im joking) please dont ban me!
De LA 5:09 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
you own the side with the label I own the side with the data cool?

funny thing is though...if you tear off the label...your data goes with it. all the data is burned through the bottom layer and stored under the label...I learned that the hard way. Clear cd's dont work. LOL.
Nicky Blunt 6:31 PM - 12 June, 2007
mental!

Id never have guessed that!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:35 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
how many cd's can i burn legally? i want to be clear about the facts. legally i delete the files? that's no longer ownership then??? i'm really looking for facts, not assumptions or guesses.

Again YOU are buying a License to listen to those tunes on equipment YOU own or have access to for YOUR personal USE.

As long as the CD(s) have direct ties to YOU (Car, Boat, Walkman, Kitchen, bathroom. etc) you can Burn as many as you want. When they leave YOUR property and are being USED by someone else for an extended period of time YOU have crossed the line.

I think the limit of burning the same songs in the same order in iTunes is 10 (like a album track listing in proper order for DRM files).
Nicky Blunt 9:45 AM - 13 June, 2007
I thought you had unlimited burn capacity!

Man am I glad You told me that!

Can anyone confirm this?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:13 AM - 13 June, 2007
Quote:
I thought you had unlimited burn capacity!

Man am I glad You told me that!

Can anyone confirm this?

This was from 2005 and it says 7 Burn Limit (reduced from 10):

playlistmag.com

It applies to purchased music and a specific playlist. A song can be burned an unlimited number of times in multiple playlists.

Try Google for more info.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:18 AM - 13 June, 2007
Be sure to read the original article

playlistmag.com

Don't want to get banned but it tells how to get around the 7 Burn limit.
Nicky Blunt 11:02 AM - 13 June, 2007
thanks art!

Thats much appreciated!