DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Exporting lists - dealbreaker :(

Aaron's DJ Services 5:53 AM - 11 June, 2007
I am looking to go digital this summer, currently I play CD's and manage my database using Microsoft Access and paper lists. The main reason I want to go digital is to avoid the hassle of maintaining my music database on physical CD's and paper.

I looked at Torque Connectiv first, I like it but it is not functional with Vista currently. Serato Scratch Live does everything Torque does and works with Windows Vista NOW.

Until a few days ago, I had been planning to go and buy Serato this week at Guitar Center and start organizing my library right away. My laptop and new external hard drive are ready to go.

But, I discovered some posts about not being able to export or print music lists. What? I am not paying $500 for software to organize and play my music if I have to practically hack the software to export a list to print it out. This is a dealbreaker for me and I am really disappointed right now because I can't find software that does everything I need NOW.

Help/advice?
Konix 1:12 PM - 11 June, 2007
ScratchTools..... scratchlive.net

Quote:
Export Crates to Textfiles

This functions exports all crate files into a human readable text format. These exported text files can additonally be loaded into your favourite spreadsheet application (OpenOffice.org or Microsoft Office/Excel for example), and you will be able to see all the information of your whole library with different columns.
nobspangle 2:35 PM - 11 June, 2007
If you want software to organise and play your music, try iTunes or Windows Media player.
If you want software to allow you to Dj controlling digital music files with vinyl or CDs then use SSL.

Don't forget you don't need to purchase the software to start organising files, you can download it from this site and start importing your music straight away.
cappinkirk 2:57 PM - 11 June, 2007
whats your alternative? wait for Torque to have Vista?

this guys mind is already made up.
DjCarzz 7:23 PM - 11 June, 2007
maybe u have to go a third party way to export text lists but i think you have to set ur priorities straight...

for one, have you seen this forum where u came to get help? its incredible and open 24/7 full of users!

another thing is free upgrades, which u can bet that text export will be around sooner or later

finally, ur a DJ and u need reliability, something that scratch live gives u and torq (at half the price) does not...ask anyone whos used both or jus take my word for it
rhythmunderground 8:14 PM - 11 June, 2007
you can text export the slow way by taking a screenshot of the crate you played, assuming you do like me and create your crate with a setlist.

then with the screenshot of the text, use a text recognition program to create an excel like list.
DjCarzz 8:22 PM - 11 June, 2007
rythm underground.... +10 points for creativty haha
Konix 8:26 PM - 11 June, 2007
Or you can just use nik's ScratchTools program and have a real text/Excel file.
nik39 8:35 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
you can text export the slow way by taking a screenshot of the crate you played, assuming you do like me and create your crate with a setlist.

then with the screenshot of the text, use a text recognition program to create an excel like list.

Nice one :)

What about lists which do not fit on the screen? Taking multiple shots? I dunno...
rhythmunderground 8:40 PM - 11 June, 2007
yeah it would have to be multiple shots. i only do this for single dj mixes. usually no more than 18 tracks.
nik39 8:44 PM - 11 June, 2007
Once you know how ScratchTools is used ... it's really simple and just a few keypresses ;) Probably easier if you do it quite often. Also with the scan method you won't catch all the trackinfo if it does not fit on the screen sideways.
rhythmunderground 2:43 PM - 12 June, 2007
i dont use windows and when scratchtools comes out for mac, ill jump on it.
nik39 3:06 PM - 12 June, 2007
Waddayamean-when-it-comes-out-for-mac?

It works on a mac already! :)
rhythmunderground 5:02 PM - 12 June, 2007
oh damn, i just assumed it was windows. thanks.
Panic City 5:33 PM - 12 June, 2007
call the wahhhhhmbulance then. dont buy SSL and let us get all the chicks! woo hoo!
sixxx 2:56 PM - 13 June, 2007
Quote:
call the wahhhhhmbulance then. dont buy SSL and let us get all the chicks! woo hoo!

hahaha
sixxx 2:56 PM - 13 June, 2007
I fail to see how a minor thing like this causes a dealbreaker. Hahahaha. I use SSL for mixing and rocking a party...
Rane, Support
Shaun W 3:48 PM - 13 June, 2007
*moved to general*
sixxx 3:57 PM - 13 June, 2007
Quote:
I fail to see how a minor thing like this causes a dealbreaker. Hahahaha. I use SSL for mixing and rocking a party...

Btw, I use iTunes too, so managing my playlists digitally is very easy with it.
MusicMeister 9:11 PM - 13 June, 2007
Quote:
I am looking to go digital this summer, currently I play CD's and manage my database using Microsoft Access and paper lists. The main reason I want to go digital is to avoid the hassle of maintaining my music database on physical CD's and paper.

I looked at Torque Connectiv first, I like it but it is not functional with Vista currently. Serato Scratch Live does everything Torque does and works with Windows Vista NOW.

Until a few days ago, I had been planning to go and buy Serato this week at Guitar Center and start organizing my library right away. My laptop and new external hard drive are ready to go.

But, I discovered some posts about not being able to export or print music lists. What? I am not paying $500 for software to organize and play my music if I have to practically hack the software to export a list to print it out. This is a dealbreaker for me and I am really disappointed right now because I can't find software that does everything I need NOW.

Help/advice?

Try MediaMonkey. It handles tagging, playlists (both internal format and M3U), and more. It's great for managing your library as well. I thought I posted on this already but 'other' solutions use M3U playlists to track song playback.

With the new scratchtools you now have another solution to address tracking your playlists and more.

You don't spend $500 on a tool to handle your library. You spend less than $30 to do that... you spend $500 on a TCV solution to let you use external control to play digital music files.