DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

I hate it when Dj's come up & make requests !!!

djheadhoncho 3:29 PM - 9 June, 2007
I dont know about you but last night i was at this new spot im spinnin at and a kid comes up to me saying he's also a Dj ....

so like the nice guy I am, I say cool .... hahahaha

He continues to tell me how good I am & blah, blah, blah ......

once again I say, cool .... hahahaha

Then he continues to tell me what to play ..... in what order ..... and how to transition into it ......

RED FLAG !!!!

For 1 : the songs he was choosing were allover the place BPM wise & half of them wouldnt apply to the crowd ......

which means : yes, hes a dj .... but yes, he sucks ! :)

so, my guess is that we have a MICROWAVE in the house !!! hahahaha

I politely tell him that I know what I'm doing, i've been doin it for quite a while & thanks for the ideas. I may slip a song in here & there for him ....

then I quickly look away & act like im busy ....

he's still there drunk & invading my space .... so, i ask him if theres anything else ....

he continues to tell me that his songs will make this place go crazy .... * keep in mind its only 11p & the club closes at 2a .... ITS DEAD !!!

hahahahahaha

once again .... I tell him nicely .... I GOT THIS !!!

He leaves & tells his girlfriend to come up to me & request the same songs he just did ..... hahahaha, i love this one !!!

so now I have to take my aggression out on his girl .... ITS ONLY RIGHT !!!

so i tell this lil twit ..... look, tell your fake ass dj boyfriend to go & bang himself & i will not play any of the garbage songs he asks for .... so, keep it movin .... if he requests a song again, i will have him thrown out !!!

shes now lookin at me like a deer in headlights !!! *CLASSIC*

NO MORE MICROWAVE FOR THE REST OF THE NIGHT !!!

Im just venting ...... but has stuff like this happened to you .......

Im usually in an inclosed booth & have someone else with me to take requests & interact ...... I just hate dealing with drunk people !!!
djradrich 5:11 PM - 9 June, 2007
happens to me all the time. i'm not a mean spirited person but the only way to get a drunk to leave you alone is to be mean. i cussed some guy out last weekend after about 5 minutes of politely tryin to ask him to leave, he looked so surprised when i finally just said, get the eff away. funniest part was at the end of the night when i was breaking down, he was still there. he was tryin to be all nice and said i'm sorry but why'd you have to yell like that. once again i politely explained to him, i've djed a long time and know your type, there's no need for you to tell me what to play and when to play it, there's no need for you to be standing beside me in MY booth, and despite how much you love your gin and tonic, i don't believe you when you say you won't spill it. then i guess he was tryin to cut me down and said "yeah well i've met lots of guys like you too" and chuckles. i say "i bet you have, being the asshole you are, i bet people cuss you out all the time"
nik39 5:32 PM - 9 June, 2007
Quote:
Then he continues to tell me what to play ..... in what order ..... and how to transition into it ......

RED FLAG !!!!

Word. That's disrespectful.
coitus 7:58 PM - 9 June, 2007
Quote: "I hate it when Dj's come up & make requests !!!"
Word.

I actually am occasionally tempted to offer my advice (especially when it comes to eqing) but bite my tounge. I dont want people telling me what they think i "should" be doing so i dont tell them either
Panic City 10:22 PM - 9 June, 2007
DJ head honcho, thanks for doing us DJ's a favor. I hate people like that, its so annoying. All of a sudden you gotta be buddies and shit bc your the DJ. F*** that. I'll be nice for 5 minutes, then after that beware. Especially if they have a beer in their hand and its floating around my equipment. People get stiffarmed for shit like that

you should of put your HEAD, in his gf's HONCHO
Request_This_Ladies 12:07 AM - 10 June, 2007
Nothing tweaks me more then when a customer drops a stupid line like: "Play something faster..."

Example: Last night a chick rolls up complaining about how slow the music was (I had Diddy's 'Last Nite' spinning.). After two minutes of complain ranting I tell her to drop the attitude and tell me what she wants to hear.

What did she consider faster? "Buy You A Drank"! No sh*t!

Sorry Honcho, I know your thread said "DJ Request" but that bitc... err I mean, Customer had me bent.
DJMello 12:58 AM - 10 June, 2007
"DJ's" should know better than to do that. Whenever I go out, it's to enjoy myself, be on the other side of the booth for a change. You know, let my hair down...relax a little. Ain't no way I'm going over to the booth, unless I know the dude, or if it's someone from here spinning that i've never met. Other than that I'm trying to get buzzed and party.
deepdjdanny 4:29 AM - 10 June, 2007
yep.
Maskrider 5:42 AM - 10 June, 2007
If he is a real Dj he would'nt do such a thing.
Probably a wanna be.
twinsouls 11:22 AM - 10 June, 2007
This kills me. I bet the guy was trying to talk to you while your where trying to mix the next song in.If he was a DJ,he would know to wait until you fade or cut into the next track at least.Gotta give em the "hold on one minute finger".Or you could just give em "the finger",lol.

In the end they could say "That DJ's an Asshole" when hes probably cool as hell.How else do you deal with some peoples bullsh**?
CMS 2:45 PM - 10 June, 2007
I've had the stupid ass DJ requests too. I actually had one guy say he was a DJ and rip on me for using SSL since he only uses real vinyl. I asked him, "Well, Grandmaster Numbnuts, if you are a such a stellar DJ what are you doing here on a Saturday night? Shouldn't you be gracing a crowd somewhere with your exceptional talents and real vinyl?" He called me an asshole and left.
DEEJAY LEXX 3:16 PM - 10 June, 2007
I'm thinking about compiling a book of dumbass shit people have said to me & my boys when djing. My favourite is when it's 10:30 and you're just warming up some smooth rnb, or classic house, and the girl comes up, "Are you gonna play anything good tonight?"

What's wrong with you, girl? Are you new or something, it's 10:30!?! people are lounging, chill the fuck out! I know this is a really important night to you, or something, but it's just another day at work for me!
Project X 4:28 PM - 10 June, 2007
alll the time,

but once it was kind off different, this guy is with his friend and he keeps on looking at me, so actually called the bouncer on the walkie talkie, because i thought he was looking for a fight, and i wanted to get another drink so i dropped in a mashup tune which was 5 minutes long, and went to get my drink.on my way back to the booth, this guy tells me "oh i am also a dj, i hold residency in many places in the uk, especially for asylum and technique(dnt knw wat tht is)" i said good for you and walked away, he comes back to me and continues his stories and he tells me put sean paul get busy on, the crowd would go mad, well it was too early for that tune, 10:30pm. club opened to the crowd at 10:00pm. so i asked him straight on, dude if you such a famous dj, who holds residency in soo many places, why are you here on a saturday night, dont you have any more gigs or they threw you off because you sucked.he called me dickhead and walked off, lol

we get people like this all the time.but its fun i guess.
DjCarzz 2:52 AM - 11 June, 2007
i always give em the "hold on a minute finger" and usually wen i spin in clubs they got security around the dj booth

my favorite thing is when some idiot comes to take a picture right in front of the booth as if its some sort of attraction

problem is the damn flash blinds me for 5 mins!!
Nicky Blunt 9:57 AM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:
I just hate dealing with drunk people !!!

Damn I Mean thats part & parcel of being a dj! You lot need to up your tolerance levels!

These people are paying your wages! :)
DJ Pryme 10:05 AM - 11 June, 2007
lol no they're not. thats wut they dont remember. lol
Nicky Blunt 10:26 AM - 11 June, 2007
Club admission & bar bills are what pay your wages!
Not bouncers Barr staff & promoters.

I mean I'm sure the promoter is the man that gives you the money but it comes directly from the "CUSTOMERS" pocket.

I'm not saying I like dealing with dragon breath drunkards who wanna tell me play {Insert shit song thats completely outta flow with the rest of your set here} however ultimatley they are paying your bills!
DJ LTIZZZLE 10:50 AM - 11 June, 2007
All great post. Hell i'm in Iraq spinning for the troops and working as a computer Contractor. I'm spinning doing my thing and the "microwave/ipod dj" steps up to me with a pre-made Cd. As if i'm was to stop what i was doing and place this crap in my Denon's ha ha ha NOT... Of course he hits me with the blah blah blah. Sounding like charle brown. I was like look just make a request. I'm pretty sure i have whatever you want to hear already. He's like naw man. I can't remember the name of the song. just put the cd in. I'm like dude. I'm current as of last night (thank you digiwaxx and so on). He stormed off and sat his ass down. Then he came marching back up like. My people want to know why you want play the cd. "dude just make a request or get the hell out my face".. I'm not putting your bullshit cd in my shit.. after that exchange and being ignored he finally just left with his Posse (2 other dudes) lol. Basically, that stuff happens everywhere even in Iraq.

Ltizzzle
camp Taji
DJJOHNNYM 12:02 PM - 11 June, 2007
Quote:

you should of put your HEAD, in his gf's HONCHO

THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYIN....

I'm sayin' tho, if dude was gonna send his CHICK up to you to "convince" you to play certain items, you should have invited her to spend the rest of the night in the DJ BOOTH on her knees...
DJ LTIZZZLE 12:18 PM - 11 June, 2007
ha ha ha. Real talk. Yeah.. If wanted to hear the song that bad she should have been down LOL...
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 12:29 PM - 11 June, 2007
i was popping popcorn one day, and this person stepped up and told me to set it for 4.5 minutes, i was like, yo, what's that burning smell?
DJ LTIZZZLE 2:15 PM - 11 June, 2007
classic Mike ha ha ha. what's good homey
djheadhoncho 1:52 PM - 12 June, 2007
I do understand that dealing with drunk people's my job .....

plus picture this ...... dj booth is on the floor (near vip) ..... im not raised up, or even away from people !!! not to mention right next to vip, where people think there sooooooo special & all there requests should be filled !!!!

maybe im just venting cause i hate that place !!!

but fuk it !!!

p.s. im mariied & faithful .... so girls coming into the booth dont even phase me !!!!
Nicky Blunt 1:57 PM - 12 June, 2007
dude im just fu*&in wit ya!
& The requests from the V.I.P. area are generally worse than anywhere else.

Shockingly enough i generally find the best requests come from the bar staff!
cappinkirk 3:55 PM - 12 June, 2007
haha good stuff!

i've learned that nobody (especially drunk people) understands the concept of fast or slow songs in terms of actual bpm, it's really all relative anyway (if you use 120 or 60 for example). trying to explain it to them will only put you on their level (but without being drunk).
cappinkirk 3:56 PM - 12 June, 2007
report | quoteJune 10, 2007, 11:29 PM
i was popping popcorn one day, and this person stepped up and told me to set it for 4.5 minutes, i was like, yo, what's that burning smell?

hahahahahahahahahhaha