DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Better file browser for Mac?

DJUltimate 4:57 PM - 8 June, 2007
OK the one thing I HATE about macs are the terrible file browser called "finder". With Windows you can view details about your files right in the browser. Not so with Mac. Anybody know of a better browser?
swavek 5:20 PM - 8 June, 2007
see if you can find anything you like here:

digg.com
dj_soo 5:24 PM - 8 June, 2007
whats wrong with view in list view and setting up all the fields yourself? pretty much has everything that windows "view details" does doesn't it?
DJUltimate 5:28 PM - 8 June, 2007
Quote:
whats wrong with view in list view and setting up all the fields yourself? pretty much has everything that windows "view details" does doesn't it?

No. All you can choose from is Date Modified, Date Created, Size, Kind, Version, Comments, and Label.

In Windows "view details" you can choose to see all of the fields of the Mp3 tag.
DJUltimate 5:43 PM - 8 June, 2007
Quote:
see if you can find anything you like here:

digg.com

None of them seem to have what I'm looking for.
DJ Limelight 5:55 AM - 12 June, 2007
I think this is what you're looking for:

www.cocoatech.com
deepdjdanny 6:00 AM - 12 June, 2007
bump
deepdjdanny 6:04 AM - 12 June, 2007
None of them seem to have what I'm looking for.
will stick to xp thru osx for the meantime.
DJ Limelight 6:07 AM - 12 June, 2007
^^ Did you check out Pathfinder? It pretty much has the whole shabang.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:11 AM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
OK the one thing I HATE about macs are the terrible file browser called "finder". With Windows you can view details about your files right in the browser. Not so with Mac. Anybody know of a better browser?

You an try this (A Better Finder):

www.publicspace.net

or wait for mac OS 10.5 Leopard...

www.apple.com

Also what about doing a "Get Info" on the file; Apple>I or Right Click or just viewing the comments in iTunes...

I never understood why WIndows wants you to view your computer through a "Web Browser",
deepdjdanny 6:36 AM - 12 June, 2007
open source ppl!
DJUltimate 12:21 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
^^ Did you check out Pathfinder? It pretty much has the whole shabang.

Yeah I tried it but it's basically the same as Finder with a crap load of bells and whistles.
DJUltimate 12:29 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

You an try this (A Better Finder):

www.publicspace.net

or wait for mac OS 10.5 Leopard...

www.apple.com

Also what about doing a "Get Info" on the file; Apple>I or Right Click or just viewing the comments in iTunes...

I never understood why WIndows wants you to view your computer through a "Web Browser",

Better Finder seems to be designed for digi pics

Leopard doesn't offer the features I need

You cannot edit file attributes with Get info or right click. Let alone view details of multiple files simultaneously.
DJUltimate 12:29 PM - 12 June, 2007
I think it's a lost cause =o(
deepdjdanny 5:24 PM - 12 June, 2007
me too.
cappinkirk 9:30 PM - 12 June, 2007
what if you apple I from itunes? it has a whole different set of options
cappinkirk 9:31 PM - 12 June, 2007
if you shift click you can edit mult. files simultaneously for much of the info
DJUltimate 10:36 PM - 12 June, 2007
Let's say a friend makes me a CD with 20 tracks on it. 5 are hip hop, 5 are electro, 5 are breaks, and 5 are house

When I import the CD with iTunes, it will put the files in a folder. When I want to move the files to the appropriate folder on my HD how do I tell the genre of each song without opening up iTunes checking it, and then going back and moving the files. It's a pain in the ass. With the Windows browser you view it all right there and move the files to where they need to be. All I want is for Finder to add more view options and make more file details viewable.
cappinkirk 1:28 PM - 13 June, 2007
ummm... just like i said earlier homey. shift click or apple click the multiple files and click "apple + I", fill in the genre boom your done. It will make changes to all the selected files.

from what you described all you are doing is changing the genre for several songs at a time correct? Why would you have to move the files?
DJUltimate 11:08 PM - 13 June, 2007
I organize my music by Genres. Each genre has it's own folder.

Quote:
Let's say a friend makes me a CD with 20 tracks on it. 5 are hip hop, 5 are electro, 5 are breaks, and 5 are house

When I import the CD with iTunes, it will put the files in a folder. When I want to move the files to the appropriate folder on my HD how do I tell the genre of each song without opening up iTunes checking it, and then going back and moving the files. It's a pain in the ass. With the Windows browser you view it all right there and move the files to where they need to be. All I want is for Finder to add more view options and make more file details viewable.
DJUltimate 11:13 PM - 13 June, 2007
Quote:
ummm... just like i said earlier homey. shift click or apple click the multiple files and click "apple + I", fill in the genre boom your done. It will make changes to all the selected files.

from what you described all you are doing is changing the genre for several songs at a time correct? Why would you have to move the files?
When I hit "Apple + i" it does not allow me to edit the genre field
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:15 AM - 14 June, 2007
I know this is not what U want to do but there is a App on your Mac called Automater. It is a rework of the old Applescript and I think it can record actions. You can create a Automator action to change do what you want to do. Change this Folders and Files to Rap/Hip Hop. More difficult but do-able (and I have no clue how to do it).

Again, I don't Understand WHY PEOPLE HATE using iTunes to organize their Music (is it a HATE Apple thing or what?). iTunes is a MUSIC APP, let it do the work. That's like trying to edit a Letter to your Mom outside of Microsoft Word, Just Open Word (or in this case iTunes) and let it do it's thing.

Sounds like what U need to do could be done is a few SMART PLAYLIST searches and a GET INFO.

Okay, you said:

Quote:

I have a Smart Playlist called NEW SHIT (top to bottom by Date - Newest first) so whenever something New comes into iTunes it is in that Playlist in the order that it was Imported. Now U can Hold Down the Apple Key and select the 5 Rap songs (Apple Key allows non continuous selection) and change Genre to Rap, select the 5 house songs, change genre to House.

And then you can create another Smart Playlist called NEW RAP and BAM your 5 new Raps songs are already there in the NEW RAP Smart Playlist (then right click - Show In Finder) ready for you to move to the Folder that you want on your Drive.

Look at Smart Playlist and try it: iTunes: File>New Smart Playlist

Work with iTunes not Against it.....
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:24 AM - 14 June, 2007
Oops on a laptop TRACK PAD Right Click is Control Click just in case you don't have a two button mouse.
DJUltimate 1:51 AM - 14 June, 2007
I'm more concerned with the location of the file itself. Not just the tag. I keep my folders arranged by genre so each genre has it's own folder.
deepdjdanny 12:18 PM - 14 June, 2007
anyway... finder still needs every column under the sun.
as far as i know: itunes still has it's id3 v2.4 bugginess.
did anyone ever get audioshell to work in explorer?
hmmm...
cappinkirk 1:18 PM - 14 June, 2007
apple I changes multiple genres just fine for me. You can also multiple select in serato and if you change one genre it will change them all. Just be careful and deselect quickly afterwards or if you do something like delete the file name (oir change it) it may change or delete them all!
DJUltimate 4:08 AM - 18 June, 2007
I think I found a way around it. I can use www.mp3tag.de (a windows program) on OSX with this...

www.codeweavers.com

With Mp3tag you can individually or batch edit filenames and tags, generate tags from filenames, generate filenames from tags, move files to/from folders, copy files to/from folders, create "actions" which can help automate the process of renaming tags/filenames to your custom format
sweetL 4:27 PM - 18 June, 2007
windows explorer?

/sarcasm