DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Playing same songs multiple times a night

nik39 6:44 PM - 2 June, 2007
How do you guys feel about it?
If you do not like it/do it, how do you handle the same requests coming in again and again?

I really really hate playing one song more than once a night - it sucks, shows lack of creativity. But the crowd seemed to need it/ask for it. If I have two versions of the same song, I might do it, but only if its really a remix with a different beat, not just different artst.
Thundercat 6:53 PM - 2 June, 2007
For me it all depends how much turnover there is with the crowd. If it is a regular night, no promoted special party or anything, I have no problem hitting of a really hot popular song two and sometimes three times in a night if the requests are hot and heavy for it. If it is a specially promoted party where I can expect mostly the same crowd the whole night I try not to repeat but I might still give a hot track two spins. I figure most people are conditioned to the radio where they hear it once on the hour every hour anyway.
smoothe 6:55 PM - 2 June, 2007
I haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
tttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit!!!
smoothe 6:58 PM - 2 June, 2007
Well, I can't say that I absolutely hate it, I will play a track more than once, but only if it's the remix or if it's fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eee!
Kool DJ Sheak One 7:37 PM - 2 June, 2007
I djed an old people party last week, and some schmuck who just got there said:
"Can you play Proud Mary?"
Me: "I played that song about 15 minutes ago"
2 minutes later,
Schmuck: Can you play "Magic Carpet Ride?"
Me: "I played that 10 minutes ago." (are you kidding me?)

How can this guy request 2 songs that I had played in that same half hour?

And btw, I never play the same song in a night, there is too many hot jams to play in such a short time.

I heard a dj play "Jump Around" three times in one night. I guess he liked the song, or he did'nt have any other rap songs.
De LA 7:52 PM - 2 June, 2007
NEVER! The only time Ive ever done that is if I play a housey remix version of the song early in the night where people arent dacnin/paying attention yet.
Boogie Down Martin 7:53 PM - 2 June, 2007
When South Bronx by BDP came out the DJ had to play it a couple of times back to back because the crowd didn't accept anything else after hearing it.

So if it really makes them go nuts who cares how often you play it?
sixxx 8:19 PM - 2 June, 2007
I don't like it but I will play the same song twice (not even a remix) from time to time DEPENDING on the venue and of course DEPENDING on the song and also if enough time has passed between the same requests.
dj_soo 8:27 PM - 2 June, 2007
my take is that most of these people requesting songs right after you play it (or in some cases while you're already playing it) are the type that don't pay attention to the music whatsoever (too busy hitting on someone or something) and the song gets subconsciously implanted into their heads. Then they think "hey! it would be great if the dj played x right now! I'll go ask him to play it"
skinnyguy 8:35 PM - 2 June, 2007
i agree. playing a song multiple times in a night shows no creativity and lack of structuring. there are many other hits to take the night over. if they missed it, i tell em, "come earlier next time."

if i really gotta play it twice, i play a totally different mix of it.
coitus 8:48 PM - 2 June, 2007
Ive played a song twice in a row before. or wheel and come again wi di chune.

I will play something twice if it is requested, a good song, and at least 2 hours have gone by. I dont think too many people notice or care then.
poloi3eai2 8:54 PM - 2 June, 2007
I can see if people bug the hell out of you and ask you to play a song again, but I HATE it when DJ's think they burned up the dance floor because they played Sexy back, Buttons, and Buy You A Drank twice. I remember like 2 years ago this DJ at the club played My Humps litterally 6 times! I was like damn I always walk into a club thinking I'm better than whoever is spinning but this dude is SERIOUSLY wack. I had to play Sexy Back twice last week because this girl kept requesting it at 11pm before anybody was really there.
allenbina 9:16 PM - 2 June, 2007
slow nights, or when theres a big turn around. i usually ask the bouncer what the crowd is like and if theres a big turn around of people coming in / out.

i played my humps 6 times at a school dance before. i was asked to play it 6 more, but i said no.
sixxx 9:16 PM - 2 June, 2007
6... that's a magic number.
marx 10:00 PM - 2 June, 2007
gotta do it. specially on new songs. if u play all night (4hours etc.) tracks that u know u will have to play twice try to play it early...that way @ least to y it will seem like theres some space between them.
Request_This_Ladies 10:53 PM - 2 June, 2007
I agree with Marx, sometimes you gotta do it. Our job is to please the customer and often that means repeat plays of a track that is heavily requested.

When I do repeat-play a track, I try to put at least 2 hours between each play. Unless the customer drops a fat tip...
DJ Nick Lee 11:00 PM - 2 June, 2007
Sometimes playing a song twice is a way to build energy and just climax the night. When I was just a club goer and not a working dj I would here dj's play a new jam back to back, and when I was on the dance floor I was feelin' it.
DJ d.range 11:01 PM - 2 June, 2007
i rarely do it, but twice is the limit...if i'm playin it a 2nd time, i'll usually juggle it at a few points and play with it to extend it and to make sure everyone knows i played
DJ d.range 11:02 PM - 2 June, 2007
...it
DJ Autograph 11:11 PM - 2 June, 2007
I try to stay away from it as much as possible. Only on special occasions
skratchnerd 7:04 AM - 3 June, 2007
I might tease sometimes like with that Bin Da Daa song (pitbull) or something with a catchy intro/hook but you'll never hear me play the whole song twice.

I remember one of my homies parties long time ago I played that Ass-Titties song like 5 times in a row but I was wasted off my a** + so was everyone else. That was a good night haha.
Panic City 9:39 AM - 3 June, 2007
I played bartender 6 times tonight at a house party. These kids wouldn't get the fuck off my back man. I said "the fuck with mixing, just tell me what u want to hear and fetch me some beers".
Dj Nyce 5:59 PM - 3 June, 2007
it depends on the market; it seems like in the east coast you can get away with it if the song is a banger.

i remember when Do It Again (Put Ya Hands Up) by jay-z came out, they were running it in the club. mister cee played it like 10 times @ club speed. and every single time people went nuts; doing back flips and shit (:

i'll play a song twice if its heat. sometimes i'll even take back from the top.
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:05 PM - 3 June, 2007
rewind!!!!!!
sixxx 8:08 PM - 3 June, 2007
Quote:
I played bartender 6 times tonight at a house party. These kids wouldn't get the fuck off my back man. I said "the fuck with mixing, just tell me what u want to hear and fetch me some beers".

hahaha. No doubt.
J. eMCee 2:29 PM - 4 June, 2007
huge pet peev
Thundercat 2:37 PM - 4 June, 2007
I had a nightmare last night that I was spinning at a step show and was told to play laffy taffy any time it was requested no matter what I was playing at the time. After the 2nd time, I took an elevator up to a meeting with Santa Claus and God and they told me I had to do it. When I got back to the show a 7 year old kid was waiting for me asking where laffy taffy was. I woke up in a cold sweat.

I need help.
J. eMCee 3:07 PM - 4 June, 2007
haha!
Audio1 3:46 PM - 4 June, 2007
Quote:
if i really gotta play it twice, i play a totally different mix of it.

Amen. It helps break up the monotony of some club nights by playing a mashup/remix/live acapella steez!
DJ-A 3:55 PM - 4 June, 2007
Quote:
For me it all depends how much turnover there is with the crowd. If it is a regular night, no promoted special party or anything, I have no problem hitting of a really hot popular song two and sometimes three times in a night if the requests are hot and heavy for it. If it is a specially promoted party where I can expect mostly the same crowd the whole night I try not to repeat but I might still give a hot track two spins. I figure most people are conditioned to the radio where they hear it once on the hour every hour anyway.

i never thought of it like the radio... i hardly listen to the radio because i get tired of hearing the same songs... but at the same time, like you said about turn arund. if your doing a 6 hr gig and the crowd is different every 2 hrs, they never heard you do the song.

i do it occasionally (at a bar/club.) but if it is a private event, next to never.
SUBSTANCE 9:23 PM - 4 June, 2007
That's the problem with DJs who show up five minutes before their set. They come and drop a BIG song first without realising it's been played like, 10 minutes earlier.
cappinkirk 8:03 PM - 5 June, 2007
playing requests is a bad idea for several reasons:
1. you should already know what is popular and plan to play it.
2. it can be a distraction if you're focusing
3. by playing requests you are telling more people to make them, and also you are telling the people that made the requests to come request more frequently since you will do what they say. This costs more time/attention each time you do it.

however it can also be positive:
1. Build rapport with audience (always good for your career)
2. They may request a song you don't even know is hot (but hopefully you have it or can get it asap in this case) hopeully lots of other people there want to hear it also.
3. You might get a bribe of some sort (not always money, but usually very much worth it)

Unless you have an agreement to play requests, or some deal where you get a share of the door then there is usually little or no motivation to even play requests (unless you enjoy doing so). I prefer to be bribed. As for people demanding to hear a song pro bono, I tell them to go somewhere else if they don't like the music. They may prefer the "pay-and-play" interactive interface of a jukebox.
cappinkirk 8:08 PM - 5 June, 2007
to answer your question i play 5-6 hour nights all by myself and frequently play the same song up to three times a night if it is "**HOTTTT**"

if it's just "hot" the max is 2 times per night. if you bribe me 20 i will play glamorous or sexy back at any time regardless of how many times I have played it. if you give me 50 dollars in ones and fives and request "leather so soft" then complain after i play your request that you didn't like my mashup i will make it rain on you.
scotty B 10:15 PM - 5 June, 2007
I went to a spot one night, and the opening cat was killing it.. not really even hot garbage... but the closing cat got on and was not even as close as good, and played at LEAST 10 of the same tracks...Hahahaa