Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Left Deck Crash (A Rare Occurrence)

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
daenyx 2:30 PM - 3 May, 2005
I've been running SSL on my PB 1.5 for a few months with basically zero problems.

Today the Left Deck Crashed and wouldn't play/move.

Instead it has a list of numbers accross it like this:

00078587FFD536FFS

But it would load and unload.

I don't know what the numbers are I just made those numbers up.

Heres what happened:

I played a song then halfway thru i took the needle off. I loaded another song, but it was not normal it was the number thing I mentioned above. It wouldn't play.

I unloaded it and tried paying other songs, but it was the same situation with the numbers and wouldn't play.

These were MP3's. I thought I may have hit a corrupt file, so I quit SSL, reloaded, and the exact same files played fine and I was not able to duplicate it.

Now that I remember it this same thing happened only once before this a couple months ago.

I mean, one crash every couple months, thats really good, but if this happened during a performance, i'd be eating a shit sandwich, so to speak.

Ideas what caused it? Steps to take?

I've gotten a lot of play security out of SSL, and with one crash every couple months so far, those are great odds, but I want to make sure this never happens to me.

(I'm not running the new Tiger, I'm on 10.3.8)

All the proccesses like ichat and other unneccesary things were turned off.

What kind of things can I do about this?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:31 PM - 3 May, 2005
Very strange crash my friend.

Have you repaired your disk permissions lately? If not, I highly recommend you do so.
SpinThis! 6:13 PM - 3 May, 2005
def sounds like something went funky. doesn't like a permissions issue to me, but it can never hurt, especially if you've never done it before or hadn't done it in awhile. it's one of those voodoos that fixes some many weird problems. if you need a reason to upgrade to 10.4, repairing permissions is way faster now. i'd say 100% faster.
book 9:30 PM - 3 May, 2005
i have the same issue on more than a few occasions and it happened live as well. the left turntable would not play or load any mp3's. i dont have any corrupted mp3 files. i checked them all with ashampoo. it seems this has happened to serveral other uses in this forum. and it is not relugated to just mac's or pc's. i incidently am using an pc with 1GB ram and a amd 3200 processor. the only cure is to close out serato and re-launch it. which isnt really a viable option when performing live if you do not have any regular vinyl to play. Please help! Is this a bug that will be addressed in future updates?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 9:48 PM - 3 May, 2005
book,

What version of Scratch LIVE are you using?
spinjin 1:56 AM - 4 May, 2005
I had the same problem happen twice at random times not too long ago - the left deck not functioning properly (mine completely froze). Having read most of the complaints from some people on this particular problem, I have come to the contention that this problem might be that SSL may have conflicts with unknown hardware or software components in the computer. I think it might be a bug.
daenyx 11:21 AM - 4 May, 2005
Actually, my permissions have never been repaired (unfortunately I don't really know what that is!) :)
I'll do that.

And also both times that it happened I was running Audio Recorder 2.0 to record the set, if that makes a difference.

I'll repair the permissions.

Thanks!
book 8:45 PM - 4 May, 2005
Quote:
book,

What version of Scratch LIVE are you using?

i am using version 1.3
Rane, Support
Shaun W 9:00 PM - 4 May, 2005
Are you running any other applications in the background?

Can you reproduce the dropout?
djkenace 10:01 PM - 4 May, 2005
to repair permissions go to HD->applications->utilities folder->launch disk utilities
daenyx 3:15 AM - 5 May, 2005
thanks djkenace
book 10:43 PM - 5 May, 2005
Quote:
Are you running any other applications in the background?

Can you reproduce the dropout?

not runnin any background apps. the problem occurs sporadically, not at all predictable

apps i have installed
- ashampoo
- mp3gain
- ms office
- mixmeister bpm analyzer
- cool edit pro
- pro tools le
- realplayer
- quicktime
- itunes
- realproducer
- limewire
- soulseek
- zonealarm
- spy sweeper
- reason 2.5
book 10:45 PM - 5 May, 2005
oh, and i am running windows xp home, service pack 2
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:55 PM - 6 May, 2005
Thanks for the info :)

I suggest performing some of the "tweaks" mentioned here -->> www.scratchlive.net

In addition, run the Scratch LIVE v1.3 build overview function. This will scan your files and build all your overviews, which should help.

Let me know how it goes.
book 11:55 AM - 7 May, 2005
ok i will try those, but what exactly does the 'build overview' do??
The Technician 2:43 AM - 9 May, 2005
Happened to me when I first got the software a year ago. The way I figured out to take care of this is to disconnect the usb cable from the computer and make sure it's securely plugged back in. This should fix the problem, of course the music will stop for a few moments.
daenyx 8:27 AM - 9 May, 2005
for real?

I will make sure to try that if the frozen deck with the numbers on it happens again.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:09 PM - 9 May, 2005
Taken from the manual:
Quote:
Build overviews
If you run Scratch LIVE with the hardware interface disconnected, you will notice a button labeled build overviews on the main screen. Click this to automatically build the overviews for all the tracks in your library. The track name (and location) are shown in the bar immediately below the button. Below this are three more bars. The first bar shows track reading progress, the second bar shows overview building, and the third bar shows track writing progress. Use the the build overview function to prepare the overviews of all your tracks before you play.
In addition, the Build Overviews function will scan for corrupt files and then mark the status icon with a lightning volt.
sixxx 6:19 AM - 11 May, 2005
Shaun,

Wow! I have over 25,000 files in my external HD..... Wouldn't this take a long time? Is this really necessary or only as a way to hopefully prevent any problems?
nik39 8:17 AM - 11 May, 2005
Quote:
Wouldn't this take a long time? Is this really necessary or only as a way to hopefully prevent any problems?

Yeah, it will take a long time. On my system it takes roughly about 10seconds for each songs (I dont play long house tunes or so, average maybe about 4minutes), so do the math... a looong time ;)

You dont really need to do it, SSL can do it on the fly, but it can cause problems esp. with slow machines or slow external harddisks (with USB1 for example). Simply turn off autofill overviews, that should help ya in that case.