DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Tony Andrews Talks About Funktion One-IF YOU LIKE GOOD SOUND, LOOK @ THIS VIDEO!

The New Guy 10:56 AM - 27 January, 2011
I have been a huge fan of Funktion-One sound systems for a while. Words cant truly describe how fuckin amazing they sound, you just have to hear them for your self if you haven't already. Anyways this is a video of the founder of both Turbosound & Funktion-One Tony Andrews talking about Funktion-One and the problem with today's music formats. Its a very interesting video and I think all of us can learn a thing or two from this.
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ GaFFle 12:23 PM - 27 January, 2011
Very interesting and he's probably 100% right about today's digital music formats. I just wish F1 would paint those mid/high sections Black instead of grey/white/silver.
Chris Deluxe 1:06 PM - 27 January, 2011
I DJ'd in several venues with Funktion One speakers, and i honestly think it's the best clubspeakers you can get. It amazes me every time how clear the sound is, a real plessure for the ears.

What this man says is true, you shouldn't be playing MP3's on this system. My whole library is Mp3 so it's not an option for me, but i will buy an SL3 just for sound quality.

Good movie!
Dubplate10" 1:23 PM - 27 January, 2011
A nice fresh cut will mastered dubplate dropped on a Funktion One System - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm NICE!!
DJ GaFFle 2:07 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
A nice fresh cut will mastered dubplate dropped on a Funktion One System - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm NICE!!

It's gotta start with the producers 1st. Garbage in/garbage out...
DJ GaFFle 2:40 PM - 27 January, 2011
This was a good video; however, the only thing I'd probably disagree with would be his generalization of paper high-mids being better than metallic/metal/titanium compression drivers. If his generalized 'paper' driver concept was true, cymbals and chimes would be made of paper...
Dubplate10" 3:00 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

True, but I only press good tunes to plate ;)
DJ GaFFle 3:15 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

True, but I only press good tunes to plate ;)

I don't know much about song production but I can say most everything post-2000 sounds like hot garbage sound-quality wise. This guy speaks on it like it's a lost battle and the trend show absolutely no sign of returning to good musical production standards. I wonder if there are any Funktion-One carrying clubs in Atlanta.
Dubplate10" 3:20 PM - 27 January, 2011
yeah, you can be 93-95 Jungle :) nice warm bass
DJ DisGrace 3:24 PM - 27 January, 2011
I've tuned a couple PAs with "Off The Wall"... Quincy Jones at his best, and lots of money
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:03 PM - 27 January, 2011
that was amazing, makes me never want to play an MP3 again
Audio1 8:02 PM - 27 January, 2011
Ive played 5 times over at Beatport Lounge / Beta Nightclub in Denver in the past 3 years. By far, The best soundsystem on the planet. FUNKTION ONE sound FTW!!
valdini 8:09 PM - 27 January, 2011
Here's one for the SL1 vs SL3 debate... closure.

Was with Tony last week (as he was doing an install at the venue I was playing at) and he very nicely came into the booth to complement me on the stuff I was playing and the quality of the sound compared to the last dj (who was playing cds).

After explaining how Serato was working (CDJs - SL3 - Mixer - Laptop blah) we had a good chat and I said I'd see after I finished for a drink.

I went over and within two tracks of the next DJ starting he said how much the sound had deteriorated.... this DJ was using SL1.

Tony knows his sound and he liked the SL3 and not the SL1 ... he did say that the best soundcard he'd used was a cheap $100 one which I forget now, and not the Audio8 funnily enough.

K

K
The New Guy 8:55 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
that was amazing, makes me never want to play an MP3 again

I agree, im very picky about my music quality and only use 320 MP3, but I do have WAV files and I can hear a huge difference in quality. Unfortunately WAV files are kinda hard to come by. Even Serato's Whitelable.net uses MP3, so as much as I agree with Tony when he says MP3's are not professional quality, as a DJ, I cant see my self not using MP3 :(
Audio1 8:55 PM - 27 January, 2011
funny. most professionals do use MP3's, even Chuckie, Tiesto, Guetta...
The New Guy 8:59 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
Ive played 5 times over at Beatport Lounge / Beta Nightclub in Denver in the past 3 years. By far, The best soundsystem on the planet. FUNKTION ONE sound FTW!!

Its always hard to say that something is the "best in the world" but Ive heard a lot of sound systems and I will stand behind this statement. I truly do think that Funktion-One makes the best speaker system...IN THE WORLD!!! Even Turbosound doesn't sound as crisp as Funtion-One & Tony started Turbosound in the 70's Before he started Funktion-One!
The New Guy 9:00 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
funny. most professionals do use MP3's, even Chuckie, Tiesto, Guetta...

True but I bet the music they produce is uncompressed.
Audio1 9:02 PM - 27 January, 2011
Ive played many sound systems in my life. Everytime I play at BETA, It blows my mind in many ways... I am playing there again in a few months. :)
DJ Jonasty 9:45 PM - 27 January, 2011
I go to Beta Denver, not for the DJ's but just to hear that FUnktion1 and mini Funktion1 in the BP lounge. No ear fatigue, you can literally feel that sound through your body. I wish they made some small mobile Funktion 1 speakers. I pick up a set for sure. Well if I could afford it.
DJ Jonasty 9:46 PM - 27 January, 2011
Will have to check out the Audio1 set, next time you're in town...when is that?
Audio1 9:48 PM - 27 January, 2011
I will let ya know. My crew are residents on Thursday nights. Klutch Beat Bootique.
The New Guy 9:54 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
I go to Beta Denver, not for the DJ's but just to hear that FUnktion1 and mini Funktion1 in the BP lounge. No ear fatigue, you can literally feel that sound through your body. I wish they made some small mobile Funktion 1 speakers. I pick up a set for sure. Well if I could afford it.

Funktion One makes self powered units that would work for mobile use!
Audio1 10:24 PM - 27 January, 2011
Pricey aren't they? Seems only major clubs and high end bars have them.
ninos 11:22 PM - 27 January, 2011
+1 great video
Dj.Mojo 11:32 PM - 27 January, 2011
Love the Berghain Sound
dj_soo 11:39 PM - 27 January, 2011
we have one club in town that sports this rig - incredible system...
The New Guy 11:54 PM - 27 January, 2011
Its hard to find an exact price for the system because each system is custom built to the venue's specifications, but I know a few companies in So Cal that you can rent the stacks at a somewhat fair price.
djchrischip 12:18 AM - 28 January, 2011
incredible interview
Rebelguy 1:10 AM - 28 January, 2011
Funktion Ones are solid but only as good as the installer, system tuner and source material being played. I have heard some pretty amazing EAW systems lately as well.
daft_soul 2:32 AM - 28 January, 2011
All the way in buttfuck dayton ohio we have a really upscale gay club called masque. 2 floors and the upstairs room has a full funktion 1 rig and cryo shooters. You seriously can't avoid the sound the way they have it setup. If you get on the dance floor you are being hit by the sound in 4 directions. Nuts.
DjWoody 3:39 AM - 28 January, 2011
The only time I played on a Funktion 1 sound system was at Vanguard in Hollywood.
daft_soul 5:05 AM - 28 January, 2011
Bad audio but atleast its not oversaturated with bass.

Watchwww.youtube.com
djchrischip 5:10 AM - 28 January, 2011
nice light show
ninos 5:15 AM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:
Bad audio but atleast its not oversaturated with bass.

Watchwww.youtube.com

thats a F1 system?
daft_soul 5:19 AM - 28 January, 2011
Yeah check out some of the related videos or google club masque dayton.
ninos 5:19 AM - 28 January, 2011
wow, so unreal.
daft_soul 5:24 AM - 28 January, 2011
Tad better audio.

Watchwww.youtube.com
ninos 5:31 AM - 28 January, 2011
oh man, what i would do to have a F1 system!
djdalite 5:36 AM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:
Funktion Ones are solid but only as good as the installer, system tuner and source material being played. I have heard some pretty amazing EAW systems lately as well.

ya we got two EAW systems and both kick serious ass - i never even push them more than half on super packed nights
valdini 10:59 AM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:

That will be down to the sound pressure levels, get these right and you can keep the sound 'levels' down ;)

As for mobile, check out the Res Ones or even the F88's... you'll need an amp tho to run them through.

www.funktion-one.com

And not as expensive as you would think ;)

K
DJDeluchi 3:21 PM - 28 January, 2011
i had two copys of a track one was a promo copy of low quality at 128 and then i brought it after release at 320 went to a venue with a funktion one and selected the wrong track it sounded truly awful the funktion one systems are really unforgiving
valdini 7:31 AM - 29 January, 2011
Correct...

None of this masking effect that you get on crappy systems, but when you put good stuff in (vinyl / high quality electronic) the results are amazing.

The Pioneer DJM800 has the masking effect, kind of muddies some frequencies I find.

However if the system is not maintained properly, even a top spec F1 can start to sound bad.

Get the basics right and you are laughing.

K
DJ GaFFle 2:34 PM - 29 January, 2011
Quote:
I went All the way to buttfuck in dayton ohio where we have a really upscale gay club called masque. 2 floors and the upstairs room has a full funktion 1 rig and cryo shooters. You seriously can't avoid way they have it setup. If you get on the dance floor you are being hit in 4 directions by Nuts.

Back on topic please...
DJ Doug Collins 10:09 PM - 29 January, 2011
Quote:
All the way in buttfuck dayton ohio we have a really upscale gay club called masque. 2 floors and the upstairs room has a full funktion 1 rig and cryo shooters. You seriously can't avoid the sound the way they have it setup. If you get on the dance floor you are being hit by the sound in 4 directions. Nuts.

I've played at Masque several times upstairs. There's nothing quite like knowing you could turn it up loud enough to kill everyone in the room :-). it's disgustingly loud and crisp, and it's not even turned up anywhere near where it has the capability to go.
daft_soul 7:36 PM - 5 February, 2011
Haha sup bra its me D-Soul...
Billy Johnston(BluFIN, Sleaze, BN) 6:28 PM - 12 May, 2012
I played on a huge "Funktion One Sound System" in Korea last Summer!!! I only played Wav. files. I've know this for years. Totally true Watchwww.youtube.com
Dax 6:25 AM - 17 May, 2012
Tony and my good friend rich chat to RA about sound some more.
www.residentadvisor.net
Dax 6:34 AM - 17 May, 2012
Quote:
Here's one for the SL1 vs SL3 debate... closure.

Was with Tony last week (as he was doing an install at the venue I was playing at) and he very nicely came into the booth to complement me on the stuff I was playing and the quality of the sound compared to the last dj (who was playing cds).

After explaining how Serato was working (CDJs - SL3 - Mixer - Laptop blah) we had a good chat and I said I'd see after I finished for a drink.

I went over and within two tracks of the next DJ starting he said how much the sound had deteriorated.... this DJ was using SL1.

Tony knows his sound and he liked the SL3 and not the SL1 ... he did say that the best soundcard he'd used was a cheap $100 one which I forget now, and not the Audio8 funnily enough.

K

K

wow to get a comment like that from Tony is amazing,you must know your art ;)

and as for soundcards he likes sound of the echo audiofire12 and is not a big fan of any DVS cards/mixers so i hear.dont know if he's got to hear a 61/62 yet,i'll ask my friend Rich who works with Tony now and again.
phatbob 9:41 AM - 17 May, 2012
The trouble with Funktion One systems is that they aren't very forgiving of poor setup.

A properly tuned F1 sounds awesome, but I've played at some venues where myriad live engineers have been through the place who don't know how to tune one correctly, and they sound incredibly harsh.