DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Who are some really talented DJs that use Serato?

SeratoForDummy 6:10 PM - 24 January, 2011
I'm in the stupidest debate of my life right now.

I just started DJing with a group of other DJs who believe that if you use Serato you're a hack. Thing is...maaaaaybe if they were vinyl purists I'd be more likely to back down, but they use CDs! One of them even literally referred to himself as a "CD purist." hahah

So in this on-going debate, I want to back my end up, by naming some really talented, well-known DJs who may have started using only vinyl, but now use Serato too.

Let me know! Thanks
Logisticalstyles 6:21 PM - 24 January, 2011
All of the talented DJs use Scratch Live ;)

Seriously though, Jazzy Jeff, A-Trak... There's ton's of them.
BERTO 6:33 PM - 24 January, 2011
Skribble, klutch, vice, chachi, dj am, me,
Dj.Mojo 6:45 PM - 24 January, 2011
cd-purist ... epic!
If god was a dj he damn sure used Serato!
bicedidit 6:51 PM - 24 January, 2011
do you really want the respect of someone who refers to himself as a 'cd purist'?

thats sooooo fcuking homo
bicedidit 6:52 PM - 24 January, 2011
seriously, what kind of dj is a cd purist?
is there a new movement out there that im missing?
DJWALDO 7:04 PM - 24 January, 2011
got2b Ru 7:15 PM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:

actually, Skribble uses Traktor
dj-jv 7:46 PM - 24 January, 2011
Me > dj nino miami,fl
jwagner 7:56 PM - 24 January, 2011
DJ Vice
jwagner 7:57 PM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
DJ Vice

already listed

DJ Spider
DJ Remy USA 8:01 PM - 24 January, 2011
dj angelo uk guy
pdidy 8:10 PM - 24 January, 2011
All these djs have 20+ yrs and started on wax.

Afrika Bambaataa, Jazzy Jay ,jazzy jef, Kool DJ Red Alert, Chuck chill out, pete rock, Biz Markie, Prince Paul, DJ Premier ,Just Blaze,dj marley marl, the Beat Junkies , the 45 king,grandmaster flash use traktor.
DJ DisGrace 8:12 PM - 24 January, 2011
tell him to watch the 2011 DMCs..... everyone is talented, everyone will be using Serato
Sureshot (PA) 8:13 PM - 24 January, 2011
ta2423 8:29 PM - 24 January, 2011
Pauly-D, Nick Hogan.... Sorry had to do it.
DJ GOOK 9:39 PM - 24 January, 2011
your debating with people who still carries nothinng but tons of cds and never probably lifted a crate of records. That tells me that they started djing when cdj's came out and would be confused if someone with tt's ask do they want to get on. The debate is over.
ninos 10:43 PM - 24 January, 2011
benny benassi
ta2423 12:10 AM - 25 January, 2011
Everybody is really slipping now. The King Almighty of Serato "Safdsre"
Audio1 12:12 AM - 25 January, 2011
Wow. Talented DJ's use Serato? who knew.
reggae delgado 12:26 AM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
Wow. Talented DJ's use Serato? who knew.

Lol on this board sometimes I wonder!
Audio1 12:28 AM - 25 January, 2011
I thought Talented DJ's used Traktor. Oh wait..... I've said too much.

hahahha
DJ Trik Nixon 1:13 AM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
Pauly-D, Nick Hogan.... Sorry had to do it.
mkdva 11:48 AM - 25 January, 2011
I think farmers use Traktor lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:52 AM - 25 January, 2011
Me.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:52 AM - 25 January, 2011
Oh, Deez and Thundercat too.
Dj Shamann 11:54 AM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
do you really want the respect of someone who refers to himself as a 'cd purist'?

thats sooooo fcuking homo

That's what I'm saying. Why would you even care what an idiot like that thinks? He's just not going to get it regardless if you said Jesus Christ himself uses Serato (which he does, just say something stupid in a random thread and he'll post a pic in response)
Dubplate10" 12:12 PM - 25 January, 2011
in the D&B world........

Marky
Hype
Shy FX
Ron
Marcus Interlex
Randall
Grooverider
John B
Roni Size
A-Sides
SPY

Thats all I can think of at the moment.....................
BERTO 4:23 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

When i saw him play a few years ago he was on Ssl
skratchworx 4:32 PM - 25 January, 2011
D-Styles and Ricci Rucker use Scratch Live. And it's hard to find better scratch DJs than them.

The Scratch Perverts did killer stuff on CDJs too. Not sure what they use now though.
s3kn0tr0n1c 5:01 PM - 25 January, 2011
me ;)
Audio1 7:51 PM - 25 January, 2011
Quote:
D-Styles and Ricci Rucker use Scratch Live. And it's hard to find better scratch DJs than them.

The Scratch Perverts did killer stuff on CDJs too. Not sure what they use now though.
Unsure about Scratch Perverts but I know Jack Beats use Serato. Jack Beats is Beni G (Mixologists) and Plus One (Scratch Perverts).
raequan 8:12 PM - 25 January, 2011
All of us in this forum are super serato djs. Dont let anyone tell you so..... Remember we dont have a sync button. (not yet)
ral 8:14 PM - 25 January, 2011
peds 9:00 PM - 25 January, 2011

still on cdj's no laptops
dj poisonous handz 9:07 PM - 25 January, 2011
lets not forget orangecounty.craigslist.org
got2b Ru 2:51 AM - 26 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com
see 6:30
Zero Day 3:13 AM - 26 January, 2011
Only the best, take DJ Pauly D for example. The greatest to ever do it
Zero Day 3:13 AM - 26 January, 2011
lol SIKE
BERTO 3:34 AM - 26 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Im not saying that he does or doesnt use traktor, when i saw him play a few years back he was on ssl thats all i said ppl switch over all the time

Watchwww.youtube.com
see 6:30
InTheMix808 5:45 AM - 26 January, 2011
PLUS.... I don't see a mixer made for Traktor Pro?
DJ Remy USA 6:29 AM - 26 January, 2011
Traktor has several certified mixer that work without the audio 4/8 for example the korg zero 4 has tight software integration for tsp
mkdva 8:03 AM - 26 January, 2011
Would love to see Grandmaster Flash using Serato
got2b Ru 8:19 AM - 26 January, 2011
Quote:

www.native-instruments.com

and HE has a signature Rane Empath
mkdva 8:51 AM - 26 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Just like autographed Traktor Scratch Pro. Let me clear one thing, people are buying Traktor here in europe because it is much cheaper than Serato SL. Traktor Scratch Duo is twice as cheaper than SSL.
mkdva 10:28 AM - 26 January, 2011
Latin Prince use SSL
ta2423 5:40 PM - 26 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Just like autographed Traktor Scratch Pro. Let me clear one thing, people are buying Traktor here in europe because it is much cheaper than Serato SL. Traktor Scratch Duo is twice as cheaper than SSL.

The law of todays world.... You get what you pay for.
Eric N 6:39 PM - 26 January, 2011
Quote:

Would love to see him actually throw down like he did back in the day, regardless of what DVS platform he is sponsored by. HUGE disappointment when I opened for him last year. He was on Traktor, but he might as well have been on Torq or VDJ. All he did was give me a HUGE "Do Not Play" list, of which he only played maybe 1/4 of.

When he did get on, all he did was play a track, stop the track, get on the mic, baby scratch in next track, rinse and repeat. Which would have been OK if he was at least a nice guy (the guy has def paid his dues), but he was a total pompous douchebag to me and every other club staff member that came in contact with him.
mkdva 7:46 AM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Would love to see him actually throw down like he did back in the day, regardless of what DVS platform he is sponsored by. HUGE disappointment when I opened for him last year. He was on Traktor, but he might as well have been on Torq or VDJ. All he did was give me a HUGE "Do Not Play" list, of which he only played maybe 1/4 of.

When he did get on, all he did was play a track, stop the track, get on the mic, baby scratch in next track, rinse and repeat. Which would have been OK if he was at least a nice guy (the guy has def paid his dues), but he was a total pompous douchebag to me and every other club staff member that came in contact with him.

Eric, now I don't want to see GMF using SSL. He paid his dues but that doesn't give him a credit to behave like that.
ta2423 8:22 AM - 27 January, 2011
You dont know how his day went... His cat could have died 2 hours prior or the venue might have been trying to stiff him money... Theres alot of reasons why someone could be acting like a jerk.
I know if theres problems at the venue I tend to get pissy and tensed up.
djchrischip 8:27 AM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
You dont know how his day went... His cat could have died 2 hours prior or the venue might have been trying to stiff him money... Theres alot of reasons why someone could be acting like a jerk.

+1 & rotfl @ cat dyin haha
djbanno 9:08 AM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
serato.com

Satoshi Tomiie is dope.
"Love in traffic" from 10 years ago is still in my regular rotation.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:50 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Would love to see him actually throw down like he did back in the day,

The truth is that Flash was a BEAST back in the day. I mean, forreal. I've heard interviews of him (not the videos on Youtube), but audio ones, where he was absolutely CRUSHING it.

One in particular was an interview where he was describing stuff he called "Punching", and he was using MJ's "Wanna Be Starting Something", and he totally ripped the beginning of that song.

I have the interview saved on cassette somewhere, and when I get settled in the new crib, (I've moved, but still haven't unpacked, and need the room painted, carpeted, wired, etc..etc), I will find it.

Cats really don't know how ILL Flash was back in the day.

No excuse to be a complete douce' but, he DEF paid his dues, paved the way, and is NOW really being recognized for it.
Eric N 3:33 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:

The venue fulfilled everything on his rider and then some, that wasn't an issue. If his cat died, it must have been in the morning, because he came in for sound check in the afternoon (hours before the show) and was a dick then too lol.

It ended up being an awesome show for me, though. The DO NOT PLAY list forced me to dig deep and play stuff I hadn't played in a grip, and I got mad compliments that night. GMF's roadie got too drunk and puked in the booth, some pink froo froo drink shit all over the floor. Right after that, Flash abruptly called it a night an hour early, and I had to take over and play the last hour lol.
Eric N 3:35 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:

The truth is that Flash was a BEAST back in the day. I mean, forreal. I've heard interviews of him (not the videos on Youtube), but audio ones, where he was absolutely CRUSHING it.

Word, that's why I was SO stoked to open. I thought he would be busting out the behind-the-back tricks, some ill juggles, etc. NADA.
got2b Ru 3:40 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
Cats really don't know how ILL Flash was back in the day.

agreed.

But the problem for Flash was he was more mythical than masterful in that he was overshadowed by the Furious 5. Although they rapped a great deal on how fast Flash was on the mix, there simply were no cuts or scratches on most of their Enjoy/Sugarhill material. It wasn't until The Adventures of Flash On The Wheels Of Steel that he was able to showcase his skillset to a wider audience.
That is where IMO Flash got LAZY. His name by the mid 80s was LEGENDARY and he probably felt he didn't NEED to keep up with the trends in DJing which by that point had LOOOONG passed him by. The absolute END for me was when he came up with this thing called "The Flashformer" which is basically what we call the transform button/switch today. He even had a signature line of Gemini mixers with that feature built in. Now I respect him for going after that money but NOBODY bought that shit. Even back in the 80s you were CLOWNED (by other DJs) if you used the phono/line switch to transform let alone Flash's button.

My point is Flash is not humble. He has not improved his skillset ONE BIT! He even had to cheat with that device and still never learned to do it. That is why he doesn't get proper respect from the younger generation.

I still respect him like a daddy, he wasn't the first to do it but he gave it a tremendous push!!
Eric N 4:03 PM - 27 January, 2011
I still respect the guy for his contributions to the artform and his past body of work. Even if he is a douche at every stop on his tour nowadays, it doesn't take away from what he did back in the day. He just didn't live up to the hype, and didn't try to make up for it by being pleasant to deal with.

To be fair, the crowd still loved him, from what I could tell. He pretty much put on a Pauly D type show, and sadly, most of the people there didn't know the difference or care. They were quite content to just follow "put ya hands up" directions every 4 minutes and watch him slam tracks together.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:45 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Word, that's why I was SO stoked to open. I thought he would be busting out the behind-the-back tricks, some ill juggles, etc. NADA.

I wouldn't have expected that now anyway. You REALLY have to look at the age of these cats now.

Serious body ailments can restrict all that free form you had at a young age.

But I'm just mad that some people don't give him the respect he deserves, so yeah, he MAY have an attitude in general, but hey, it's GMF, and he's a LIVING LEGEND.
somanystyles 7:59 AM - 28 January, 2011
I started spinning vinyl in 1990. Never switched to CD-Js, but love the flexibility of Serato. It gives you the best of both worlds.