DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Thinner Control Vinyl for Battle DJ / DMC 2011

rudethinker 3:59 AM - 20 January, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.1
Hardware: scratchlive-sl3
Computer: pc
OS Version: win764
---

I was surprised that Rane/Serato will support DMC 2011 with sponsorship.
This subject may discussed many times before, but would like to bring up this subject again.
Please make THINNER CONTROL VINYL for Battle DJ/Scratch DJ.
If Rane/Serato will taking over sponsorship of DMC 2011,this could be great suuport for Serato battle DJ consumer.
SERATO official control record is obviuously too thick for them.
Once again THINNER control vinyl for Scratch DJ.
Also, I'd like to request more SERATO Pressings release.
If Rane/Serato still supporting turntable style DJ/Mixing method, still have responsibilities to support Real Vinyl and Digital audio live together.

Thank you
dj shadow from detroit 4:27 AM - 20 January, 2011
just add wax paper and butter rugs together. really makes a difference , i been doing this since 2005 :)
rudethinker 5:58 AM - 20 January, 2011
Thank you for your prompt reply, Mr. DJ Shadow from Detroit !
I'm new to SERATO usuer and just realized I should post this matter to section of forum.
Wax paper and Butter Rug combo is one of the good solution, but this is not only
my opinion, I aware so many people wants Thinner Vinyl for sensitive turntable scratch/touch. I read fefw post from the forum, many people likes THICKER CONTROL VINYL, but those people plays TECHNO/HOUSE or others.
From the Serato Pressings vinyl "Shibuya Breaks","King Breaks" and DJ Spinna's Boggie Back are much comfortable for Scratch DJ.
I know the quotes "A Bad Carpenters Quarrels With His Tools" !!! (smile)
Next time I will post as suggestion to the forum section.

Thank you

Rudethinker
dj shadow from detroit 4:20 PM - 20 January, 2011
the wax paper / butter rugs makes the vinyl feel thinner when scratching , i know what you mean though. alot of the vinyl battle wax is thinner. with applying the wax paper / butter rugs serato control records are very similar..... it took me a little while to get used to it after using real vinyl for many years.
5:22 PM, 20 Jan 2011
Discussion moved to DJing Discussion
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:49 PM - 20 January, 2011
Quote:
I'm new to SERATO usuer and just realized I should post this matter to section of forum.
Wax paper and Butter Rug combo is one of the good solution, but this is not only
my opinion, I aware so many people wants Thinner Vinyl for sensitive turntable scratch/touch. I read fefw post from the forum, many people likes THICKER CONTROL VINYL, but those people plays TECHNO/HOUSE or others.
From the Serato Pressings vinyl "Shibuya Breaks","King Breaks" and DJ Spinna's Boggie Back are much comfortable for Scratch DJ.

Thank you

Rudethinker

Have you looked into the more limited edition control vinyl, for example the Stoyoko produced records (kings breaks and shibuya breaks) seem to be alot thinner to me, they also come with acutual analog scratch samples on the other side, great battle records
Djaward 5:53 PM - 20 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you

Rudethinker

Have you looked into the more limited edition control vinyl, for example the Stoyoko produced records (kings breaks and shibuya breaks) seem to be alot thinner to me, they also come with acutual analog scratch samples on the other side, great battle records

Its still hard to get a hold of though. Why make the dam things limited? They would make a lot more money if they produced more.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:55 PM - 20 January, 2011
I used to have the same issue.

The solution was....and is....

Get the CLEAR SERATO CONTROL VINYL.

The "Colored" CV's are arguably thinner and lighter than the black ones.

It's thinner, and you can "tune" it (via wax, felt, butta rugs, etc.) to be your favorite scratching solution.

This Public Service Announcement has been brought to you by

DJJOHNNYM (c) 2011.
Niro 6:39 PM - 20 January, 2011
Control records are just vinyl, some are thinner than others depending on the batch.
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:37 PM - 20 January, 2011
Exactly. I have thin clears, thick clears, thin blues, thick blues, etc.

The sky Blue king Breaks, which are still widely available are consistently thin and flat.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:03 PM - 20 January, 2011
Don't be tryin' to discredit my Public Service Announcement.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:04 PM - 20 January, 2011
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:20 PM - 20 January, 2011
It's okay when you only have clears. I don't expect everyone to buy 10 at a time.
rudethinker 5:36 AM - 21 January, 2011
Those official Serato pressings Shibuya or Kings Breaks produced from my country and I know its thinner and good for scratch DJ.
I heared G.M. Roc Raida mentioned Serato clear red vinyl is thinner than black Serato vinyl.
Rane /Serato take sponsorship of DMC 2011, They should release special product
for DMC such like Control vinyl for Scratch DJ.
Is there any responding back from Serato ?
Also, There are many DJ control hardware has released instead of Turntable/CDJ last few years.
I still buy vinyl records. then using Digital audio file and vinyl record together.
If I don't play real vinyl record, I have no reason to use Serato with turntable.
Oh well, Thank you for all the reply.

Very Respectfuly
lvmez 3:08 PM - 21 January, 2011
i own 3 sets of clears for that reason. very thin.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:40 PM - 21 January, 2011
Quote:

Rane /Serato take sponsorship of DMC 2011, They should release special product
for DMC such like Control vinyl for Scratch DJ.

they do...Shibuya or Kings Breaks
ninjagaijin 3:43 PM - 21 January, 2011
thick for me.. i'd prefer thick edition.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:44 PM - 21 January, 2011
Quote:

the GC limited edition and Eric orrs are right for you then, VERY thick
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:07 PM - 21 January, 2011
If Anything, the record you are requesting is already out. The King Breaks is the DMC record. One side has routines from Japanese DMC champions and the otherside in control signal. They are all super flat and thin, pressed at Toyo in Japan.

I think they should do another King Breaks with US Champions or a World King Breaks.

king breaks with some table clothes or butter rugs has got to be the ultimate scratch set-up
room213 4:17 PM - 21 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

The Quemists pressing is pretty thick too, and available very cheaply at the moment.
rudethinker 4:54 AM - 22 January, 2011
Quote:
If Anything, the record you are requesting is already out. The King Breaks is the DMC record. One side has routines from Japanese DMC champions and the otherside in control signal. They are all super flat and thin, pressed at Toyo in Japan.

I think they should do another King Breaks with US Champions or a World King Breaks.

king breaks with some table clothes or butter rugs has got to be the ultimate scratch set-up

Thanks DJ Dub Cowboy

Those official Serato pressings prducts are cool and really usuful for battle/scratch DJ, but those are not supplied constantly in retail store.
I aware some folks prefer thick cintrol vinyl and some folks like me prefer thinner
control vinyl.
Just wishing Serato themself release version 3.0 as thinner version.
And If Serato pressing has more release, I guess more people use Serato.
New formula such like cotrol mixing hardware may taking over old fashon turntables
very soon . I have a feeling that. Which is SAD for me.
Well, I still usue turntable when I play digital audio files.
Thanks .
nonplus 5:55 AM - 22 January, 2011
the thick blacks are good for building hand strength. if you go from those to a thin 12in you def notice a big difference.
nonplus 6:04 AM - 22 January, 2011
does anyone know where i can track down the king breaks audio file? i plan on tracking down a pair but i got bills to pay this month.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:58 PM - 22 January, 2011
Quote:
i own 3 sets of clears for that reason. very thin.

www.djjohnnym.com

EXACTLY!

Man, they can listen to DUB all they want, if they WISH....

Like we don't know what we're talking about when it comes to Control Vinyl....

:D
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:52 PM - 22 January, 2011
Most of my clears are thick, just trying to look out for ya. The last set of blacks I opened were pretty thin. They all vary.

I'm telling you though...King Breaks. I know they are "limited" but there are a lot of them around at the moment and more projects like that in the pipeline. Don't wait around for CV03, you'll be waiting a long time.
Dj.Mojo 3:21 PM - 24 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Are they as thick as the madslinkies?
Would be great if so.
rudethinker 6:15 AM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
the thick blacks are good for building hand strength. if you go from those to a thin 12in you def notice a big difference.

Thats true, I've been spoiled of lighter control vinyl.
Sometime I use thicker black control vinyl for daily practice.
Read whole this thread , Just realized many people prefer thikcer
control vinyl than thinner control vinyl. So surprised.
ninjagaijin 5:49 AM - 9 February, 2011
Thicker is more precise for mixing / blending and overall control, takes more force to track or cue.. thinner more for flying around scratching.. thickness also means you might get a bit longer out of the grooves of your record than the thinner ones.. which is a factor for me, considering the requirement to buy new CVs pretty much once or twice a year, depending on how heavily you use them
DJ Quartz 1:38 PM - 9 February, 2011
I know after a couple weeks of practice with the black vinyl shipped with the 57SL I was lifting weights because they are way heavier than my previous control vinyl.

However, the trade off is good because I use clear to play at gigs.
Dj Shamann 3:06 PM - 9 February, 2011
Quote:
I heared G.M. Roc Raida mentioned Serato clear red vinyl is thinner than black Serato vinyl.

I have reds right now, definitely thinner. I don't get into all the collector hype and color doesn't matter to me since I'm color blind, but I wanted to pick up the clears one day (I had a credit at the store) but they only had reds so I grabbed them, I also got a new pair of blacks but once I put the reds on they never came off.

But I've only had oranges that were given to me besides these, the rest have been the regular black so I don't have much to compare to.
EAGLEMAN 1:25 AM - 15 June, 2013
can you press the signal on wax from the cd that comes with serato?
ninjagaijin 3:14 AM - 21 June, 2013
lol that sounds funny. Why not reduce cost and just buy CV than pay for pressing?!??!?! !!!!
ninjagaijin 3:15 AM - 21 June, 2013
I'm sure it would work though, but there are so many options for CV's out there, I wouldn't be spending dosh on my own pressings of control vinyls lol. Save that skrilla for actual music u want to put on the things :P