Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Post ITCH feature request here

kraal 6:03 PM - 17 January, 2011
ok i will try this and see how it works. Lots of people 'want' from ITCH be really not many actual specific request are being made. So i figure if we can get them all in one spot it is easier to get them noticed. Now once this thread becomes pointless and turns into rantings it will serve us as an injustice. So lets keep this specific and constructive. If a feature request is placed clarification or possible work arounds is ok to suggest but lets not start the 'arguments' and name calling here. Lets use this space so Serato can see what it is that WE WANT.

so that being said what feature would you like in ITCH?
zaguama 6:10 PM - 17 January, 2011
- VIDEO PLUGIN.
- BETTER QUALITY ON SOUND EFFECTS.
- SP-6 LIKE SAMPLER AT LEAST.
- CRATE/SUBCRATE COLUMN ON LIBRARY SO IT SHOWS WHERE THE TRACK IS ON SEARCH RESULTS.
- ABILITY TO CREATE PLAYLISTS OR SAVE PREPARE CRATE WHEN CLOSING ITCH BECAUSE CURRENTLY YOUR PREPARE CRATE GETS LOST UPON SHUTTING DOWN ITCH.
- DIFFERENT VIEWS LIKE SSL.
zaguama 7:14 PM - 17 January, 2011
- SMART CRATES.
Jsavino 7:17 PM - 17 January, 2011
Quote:
- VIDEO PLUGIN.

Quote:
- VIDEO PLUGIN.
BadBoyChubs 7:46 PM - 17 January, 2011
More pitch range, -/+25%
DJ Cs 12:58 AM - 18 January, 2011
-Better database optimization for large amount of audio files. It takes forever to open and close now.

-duplication of directories already setup on the hard drive into crates.

-linked songs. For example connect two songs that you mix normally. One song will always have two songs linked to it. can be used to remind you of nearby mixes.

-better overall file management. Example, choice to drag a folder to create a crate and create subcrates from subfolders.

-ability to use offline to test mixes.

-better BPM analysis

-A unicorn
kraal 1:35 AM - 18 January, 2011
Quote:
-

-better BPM analysis

are u having bpm issues in 1.7.1 ?
thebulge 1:37 AM - 18 January, 2011
SP-6, with loop editor (as stolen from the S4)

and a neat little Vestax hardware controller for said feature to go with VCI-300Mk2.
kraal 1:45 AM - 18 January, 2011
i will add to let the 'sampler' when added to work with third party controller since for thebridge you will need a third party controller anyways
Maskrider 2:05 AM - 18 January, 2011
Video Plug in and Good set of Effects plus smart crates.
Maskrider 2:10 AM - 18 January, 2011
Those good effects from SSL......lol
djcerla 2:24 AM - 18 January, 2011
1) improved pitch shift algo
2) screensets
3) iPad ITCH-CONTROL app (incl. sampler)
Dj Ricky Redz 2:45 AM - 18 January, 2011
Well....... Here's my spin on what people have been requesting on a regular basis plus a few of my own (including some from above)

1) SP-6 like sampler
2) Better quality effect
3) Video plugin
4) Crate/Sub Crate column on library so it shows where the track is on search results (or add it to the search results)
5) More pitch range, -/+8,10,16,25%
6) Smart Crates
7) Ability to save "Prepare" upon close and "prepare" list behavior options
8) Different view or skin option, classic=sl and itch
MusicDan 2:52 AM - 18 January, 2011
TALKOVER!!!

I seem to be one of few who have requested or want this. This is a very helpful feature when doing wedding intros.
Dj Ricky Redz 2:54 AM - 18 January, 2011
Quote:
Well....... Here's my spin on what people have been requesting on a regular basis plus a few of my own (including some from above)

1) SP-6 like sampler
2) Better quality effect
3) Video plugin
4) Crate/Sub Crate column on library so it shows where the track is on search results (or add it to the search results)
6) Smart Crates
9) Talkover!!

Had to add that last one!!!!
MusicDan 2:56 AM - 18 January, 2011
;-)
DJ Cs 2:59 AM - 18 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

-

-better BPM analysis

Yes, some of the songs are just plain off and others are either halved or doubled.

Unfortunately, very time consuming correcting hundreds of these after reanalyzing in 1.7.x
kraal 3:01 AM - 18 January, 2011
not that is was doubting you just thought maybe so clarification on the subject can be beneficial to the powers that be
DJ Cs 3:08 AM - 18 January, 2011
Quote:
TALKOVER!!!

I seem to be one of few who have requested or want this. This is a very helpful feature when doing wedding intros.

No, very needed feature.
Dj Cooly C 3:17 AM - 18 January, 2011
Quote:

1) SP-6 like sampler
2) Better quality effect
3) Video plugin
6) Smart Crates

Nice!
Dj Cooly C 3:18 AM - 18 January, 2011
Quote:
thebulge 5:59 AM - 18 January, 2011
What do you think?

www.serato.com
Xtianw 6:07 AM - 18 January, 2011
if you used the search function youd know from some other serato employee requests that doing one for yourself and leaving it at that is the best way to match up with how they track these things in their internal database.
Xtianw 6:08 AM - 18 January, 2011
the reasons for this is because 1 blanket thread always ends up with people arguing over which things are more important than the other, ends in flaming and ends up getting closed because of it.

so, in a nutshell.

you accidentally the whole thread.
zaguama 1:11 AM - 30 January, 2011
to add another one which i just caught on another thread.

- Add a colored tracks option, the current option for the colored dots its not quite good, they are very small and the colors not that bright which makes it really hard to identify them when playing live. So let us color the whole trackname insead of just one little dot next to it.
kraal 1:22 AM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
the reasons for this is because 1 blanket thread always ends up with people arguing over which things are more important than the other, ends in flaming and ends up getting closed because of it.

so, in a nutshell.

you accidentally the whole thread.

ok i get the point there ... so maybe this can be a place just to state what has been asked and send a link to the original thread so others can chime in?
zaguama 4:26 AM - 30 January, 2011
another one (hope im not asking for too much :D)
- the ability to disable the keyboard as an input device within ITCH, this allows us to map the keyboard to external applications without messing around within ITCH. Could be just a checkbox or something to disable keyboard input.
kraal 7:34 AM - 30 January, 2011
Disable keyboard is a good one
Fermi 5:13 PM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:

I would like more effects. Probably really easy to add too.
If i could have itch my way I would ask for the power to change keybindings. That and add MIDI so my mixer could control Itch.
I'd also like to be able to zoom more on the large waveform. So i could see a 1+ in advance.
This might be pushing it, but a key analyzer would be amazing.
Kmxorbit 5:29 PM - 30 January, 2011
Maybe strange request but here I go:

Link 1 song to multiple Albums option in library.

Let me explain: I have multiple (CD-)albums where I have doubles on it. I would like to be in the possibility just to keep 1 file, but still have a library where all albums are complete if I search albums.

Keeps Hard Disk clean, but maximizes your library Album overview. Another application of this feature would be, you can recreate albums that are being sold, if you (accidentally) bought all songs separately already.
durtymac@gmail.com 1:38 AM - 1 February, 2011
Some awesome ideas here . I like this one in particular:

-linked songs. For example connect two songs that you mix normally. One song will always have two songs linked to it. can be used to remind you of nearby mixes.
Dj Cooly C 6:53 PM - 12 February, 2011
Get rid of 1 to 1 mapping
kraal 6:56 PM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:
Get rid of 1 to 1 mapping

nope that is the reason some of us are on itch....

may redifine it but dont kill it
Dj Cooly C 7:59 PM - 12 February, 2011
@Kraal lol bro u r everywhere
Dj Cooly C 8:04 PM - 12 February, 2011
Quote:
redifine it but dont kill it

ok yep thats cool, and I just realized u started this thread!
MusicDan 12:19 AM - 13 February, 2011
I'm gonna have to agree with Kraal. I was MCing a wedding last night that a friend was djing with 2 CDJ400s and SL1. Too many wires needed a hub bothe usb ports full on his mac, and when I gave him a usb stick to ply one song, he said that he couldn't do it. I do it all the time with my NS7.
Kmxorbit 4:02 PM - 13 February, 2011
Quote:
I'm gonna have to agree with Kraal. I was MCing a wedding last night that a friend was djing with 2 CDJ400s and SL1. Too many wires needed a hub bothe usb ports full on his mac, and when I gave him a usb stick to ply one song, he said that he couldn't do it. I do it all the time with my NS7.

Strange, you should be able to read the song from the CDJ400 and play the song directly from the unit itself without going via the SL1, no?
DJ Fez 4:10 AM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

-better BPM analysis

I am, tons of 126-132 bpm house tracks showing up at 96 or 98. I just play the track as I hear it though, or update the gridding
MusicDan 4:58 AM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Strange, you should be able to read the song from the CDJ400 and play the song directly from the unit itself without going via the SL1, no?

IDK, I am not familiar with the Pio units. He said that even if he switches from Midi to CD mode he loses connectivity. So when they give him a disc tonplay he plays it from the cd drive on the mac. It all just seemed really complicated.
Kmxorbit 10:14 AM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

IDK, I am not familiar with the Pio units. He said that even if he switches from Midi to CD mode he loses connectivity. So when they give him a disc tonplay he plays it from the cd drive on the mac. It all just seemed really complicated.

For me, I could switch between CD mode and SL1 mode without even a single hiccup both in Mac and Win platform... Maybe it changed as from 2.0 because I didn't even try SSL anymore since 1.9 because i'm a total Itch convert...
djkrazyleo 2:14 PM - 14 February, 2011
i switch back & forth from cdj,s to usb all the time and i have no problem.
Musically Minded 3:44 PM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:

- Add a colored tracks option, the current option for the colored dots its not quite good, they are very small and the colors not that bright which makes it really hard to identify them when playing live. So let us color the whole trackname insead of just one little dot next to it.

+1 ike the sound of that!! and of course a sp-6 style sampler
Kaje Levi 4:36 PM - 14 February, 2011
Live and Automated Radio Stream capability (Shoutcast, Nicecast, etc).

On the automation side the ability for one side to auto-play an assigned playlist either created in iTunes or in the Crates. Then to be able to program the other side to chime in an assigned time (after 1-10 song plays, 1 - 30 minutes).

The VCI-300 has censor buttons which I think are awesome for radio play to reverse any swearing. It's great tool when live on air.

Other than that Video would be nice and as well some sample players.

Hope that's not too much to ask.

Kaje
JBoogz 5:04 PM - 14 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

+1 ike the sound of that!! and of course a sp-6 style sampler

HELL YEAH!!!!

And the sampler too!!
MusicDan 4:53 AM - 15 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My point was that it was way too many things to deal with, with Itch its just one cable.

For me, I could switch between CD mode and SL1 mode without even a single hiccup both in Mac and Win platform... Maybe it changed as from 2.0 because I didn't even try SSL anymore since 1.9 because i'm a total Itch convert...

Quote:
i switch back & forth from cdj,s to usb all the time and i have no problem.
MusicDan 4:54 AM - 15 February, 2011
oops, this was supposed to go at the end...

My point was that it was way too many things to deal with, with Itch its just one cable.
tymon 5:38 PM - 15 February, 2011
my needs

1- Better beatgrid function. Something that doesn't jump/jolt the audio when u come out of a loop <1 beat. perhaps beatgrids being synced to the beat, rather then the bar, and loops also come out of loop on the beat.

2- Synced cue points. why on earth is this not yet implemented? triggering cue points when mixing with beatgrids should be synced, or at least some sort of option to switch between the 2 should you want to trigger ur samples outta time. .

3- Improved effects. I especially find the reverb to be completely useless

4- Managing effects. Have an option to allow which effects are available. scrolling through all the effects when you only use 3 is annoying and detaches from the performance.

5- Sampler. Even when the bridge comes out, not everyone has Ableton, or the money to drop on it.

6- Superfilter to be included as a supported feature.

eh, thats what I got of the top of my head.
The Funky Bunch 7:58 AM - 18 February, 2011
Well said tymon.

The following suggestion is copied from my previous post. It's a little "apples to oranges" but I hope many will see the connection I'm trying to make.

"First wish: give me Ableton warp markers.

Ableton has a much more sophisticated a Beat Grid system called warping. The tweaks I can make to the Beat Grid from Itch are cool, and I'd like to keep them as an option, but the Beat Grids and Warp Markers should be linked.

Much like the way a "Smart Object" from Adobe Illustrator behaves when placed inside of Photoshop. You can paste a vector drawing as a Smart Object from Illustrator into Photoshop. If you double click the smart object icon inside of Photoshop, it opens Illustrator with your original vector drawing. Make your tweaks in Illustrator, save the file, and the changes are automatically updated in Photoshop."
Blackcap 12:39 PM - 18 February, 2011
better loop roll function, i hate to use 2 hands for it.
maybe assign the tap-button to act like the shift button so you can reach the loop buttons with one hand and activate the loop roll
zaguama 12:59 PM - 18 February, 2011
+1 to everything said before, to add to the improved FX category, add a "Freeze" feature for Echo and Reverb like other softwares have not to mention any specific names :p
Mutis 1:57 PM - 18 February, 2011
Video

The Bridge

Sampler
DJ Quartz 4:01 PM - 20 February, 2011
Itch 2.0 release, for real!!

I have a banquet gig that wants entertainment but has decided not have a dance after.

So I don't want to take my turntables because it doesn't seem necessary in this situation.

So of course, one the reasons I got the NS7, I can't even use it's full potential. I wanted to do a nice historical video collage with music during supper, etc, etc. There are performers that evening a well so I can do some light mixing.

Just enlighten us to what's going here because right now I'm saying forget Itch!

I've used Itch at most 10 times since owning the NS7 because of it's limitations.

Like really?? 2009 - 2011 and nothing?

....or just save yourself the time and integrate it into SSL already.
Mutis 4:30 PM - 20 February, 2011
+1
kraal 5:15 PM - 20 February, 2011
Quote:

Just enlighten us to what's going here because right now I'm saying forget Itch!

I've used Itch at most 10 times since owning the NS7 because of it's limitations.

i hate to say this and you know i have nothing but respect for you but 10 times out of how long you had itch it may be time for you to evaluate if ITCH is really for you
Mutis 5:42 PM - 20 February, 2011
Upgrade ITCH or open SSL for controllers (ehem... like traktor).

It is anonying the word "toy" for controllers when including DMC is integrating them and actual "djing/Live-act" is more than "turntables and one mic"...

I love platters and I respect them working from 13 years with them, helping in developments and so on... but just enough, we are in finantial crisis and we need "choices" for movility...

I will love turntables everywhere but here in Europe that's not so popular "Hip Hop paradigm" and now worldwide is becoming a bit outdated... The BrITCH is coming too late!

Take your time but talk with users, people like Quartz are spending time/money/efforts and is comprehensible their demands.

jm2c
zaguama 1:10 AM - 21 February, 2011
i think most of the users will agree the itch controllers are a beautiful piece of engineering limiting their potential to ITCH, but come on we live in an age where customization is top priority for users and i quote that from Richie Hawtin. I wish controllers could be used with any software out there but then i wish there was no hunger and poverty worldwide.
DJ Quartz 4:54 AM - 21 February, 2011
@ Kraal,

That's what I'm saying the problem isn't the NS7 it's perfect! It's the software that is the problem.

I had envisioned using it with Traktor or SSL at the time of purchase in '09 to be completely honest.

I knew it would take a bit of time back then but I didn't think this long.
zaguama 2:26 PM - 21 February, 2011
yeap i remember also a falsa advertising at first from numark that said traktor would support it as well, then they got rid of that.
Bomb Shel Bailey 12:50 AM - 25 February, 2011
Video
The Bridge
Sampler
Bomb Shel Bailey 12:52 AM - 25 February, 2011
Yes, and talk over capabilities.
DjCarrero 3:32 AM - 25 February, 2011
I am sick of itch... I simply do not use it anymore.

I have a vci300, ns7....

But I Simply went back to Serato Sl and put my vci3oo and ns7 for sale....

The current Itch is boring, anticuated, and 3 years behind....
MusicDan 4:08 AM - 25 February, 2011
^ I love itch, but I am beginning to think the way you are Franklin. The only thing I like is the plug (1 only cable) & play usefulness of it. I am not ready to give up on it just yet. I too am going to sell my NS7, but I want to get a Xone DX for the compactness of it since I travel for work allot. I can only take my NS7 when I drive to go on trips and even then it is heavy to take into the hotel rooms.

Hopefully something good will come very soon.
Jamie 3 dexx 3:34 AM - 6 March, 2011
i would like for the SYNC button to be completely disabled with a tick box in
[SETUP] [Hardware preferences] as once in a while it gets knocked and is an
nuisance ie. on the V7 / NS7 Hardware controllers. I noticed to that when you
use instant doubles it syncs both decks automatically 'Why ? surely most people
use instant doubles for juggling or swapping hand locations for scratching unless
ambidextrous .

there is a beat grid enable / disable tick box would be great to see a
SYNC Button disable box right next to it
Dj Ricky Redz 3:59 PM - 6 March, 2011
+100
Fermi 6:51 PM - 6 March, 2011
Quote:
i would like for the SYNC button to be completely disabled with a tick box in
[SETUP] [Hardware preferences] as once in a while it gets knocked and is an
nuisance ie. on the V7 / NS7 Hardware controllers. I noticed to that when you
use instant doubles it syncs both decks automatically 'Why ? surely most people
use instant doubles for juggling or swapping hand locations for scratching unless
ambidextrous .

there is a beat grid enable / disable tick box would be great to see a
SYNC Button disable box right next to it

I have hit the SYNC button many times by mistake and it drives me crazy.
Simon B. 5:17 AM - 8 March, 2011
Without having read (all of) the above, here is a suggestion for the Serato team:

Context: Browsing through the playlists/crates
Input: DELETE/SHIFT + NS7/V7 Encoder movement or equivalent thereof
Result: Faster browsing the the playlists/crates
Analysis: Big playlist requires big movement at times, and Ron Jeremy agrees.

I'm just saying, faster browsing through playlists may be appreciated by all. You don't even need to create an option for it.
kraal 7:43 AM - 8 March, 2011
^^ thats a nice one ^^
Kmxorbit 9:03 AM - 8 March, 2011
Altough I like the library already a lot as it works right now, I think there is still improvement possible.

-possibility to make single songs white again (when they were played)
-Or add a star rating system (Compatible with iTunes for example)
-Possibility to link 1 single wavefile to several albums, instead of having multiple files of the same song per album.
-(for numark controllers) Use Shift + touchstrip in order to search the library by alphabet. (I think the pio S1 controller will introduce this also)
_jeri_ 1:04 PM - 8 March, 2011
- Video-plugin!!!
- Sampler

I'm only playing videos with the SL3. I would really like to buy the Pioneer DDJ-S1. But without video support I would not buy it. :( Since I can not do without the video and could only be booked as a DVJ.