Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

audio dropouts, and freezing

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Numark NS7 + Numark NSFX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
djtonytoca2201 3:42 PM - 17 January, 2011
Product: itch
Version: 1.7.1
Hardware: numark-ns7||numark-nsfx
Computer: pc
OS Version: win764
---

Audio dropouts after about 1hour, or 2hours...
I have anaylized all of my files...
wireless is off
screen saver is set to never sleep
anitivirus is off when running itch
djtonytoca2201 3:52 PM - 17 January, 2011
Help please
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 2:22 AM - 19 January, 2011
Hey djtonytoca2201,

What are your computer specs?(www.serato.com)

Does the MIDI dropout light appear when this happens? This will appear at the top bar of the main ITCH screen.

What exactly happens? Does the audio just cut out and the waveform keeping going or does the audio cutout and the whole screen freeze?

Cheers :)
djtonytoca2201 4:08 AM - 19 January, 2011
computer specs
Toshiba satellite a665
500 gig memory
4gb ram
i3 processor
Windows 7
when it drops out everything freezes including the waveform...and yes it does show midi or limiter in the top bar..
djtonytoca2201 11:48 PM - 20 January, 2011
ok any time you wanna answer back, this is not a big deal, just spent over 2,000 dollars on new equipment, so take your time, it really doesnt matter if it just stops while i am playing for a club of up to 600 people..., no rush...
djtonytoca2201 3:43 AM - 23 January, 2011
i really need help
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 2:38 AM - 25 January, 2011
Hey mate, sorry about about the late reply I have been super busy but the rest of our support team is back now!

Okay so the issue here is that you are getting MIDI dropouts due to a CPU overload on your computer. What we need to do is lower your CPU and find out if there is anything specifically that is causing this.

-What is your USB buffer size set to in the setup screen?

Please make sure you are doing all of this :
* Close down any other software apart from ITCH whenever you play (this includes antivirus software or the like).
* Switch off Bluetooth, wireless network and unplug any wired network connections.
* Switch off screen saver and set sleep mode.
* Check your hard drive sleep mode is set to 'never' if this is an option.
* Disable any Software Updates or scheduled tasks.
* Always plug your hardware directly into the computer’s USB port, not a hub.
* Ensure you have ample room left on your hard drive (this is approx 15% of your hard - both internal and external).
* Check that you are using a ‘good’ USB port. Try all ports until you get the best results.

- Follow this 'Computer Optimization guide' here as it shows you how to do some of this tweaking (amongst other things) : www.serato.com

- Finally, if you are still getting dropouts, can you please do a DPC trace report and attach it to this thread for me to take a look at : serato.com
This will hopefully show me what is causing the dropouts.

djtonytoca2201 6:04 AM - 26 January, 2011
I have done all of the above...
yesterday i had one dropout and did a 4hr set
today i did a one hour set and had a drop out
it is really unpredictable..
how do i do a dpc trace report?
djtonytoca2201 6:04 AM - 26 January, 2011
djtonytoca2201 6:05 AM - 26 January, 2011
my buffer setting is at 10 right now, however i have tried it on 5, 2..and it still dropsout.
3:54 PM, 26 Jan 2011
djtonytoca2201 attached a file: DJTONYTOCA-PC-dpcisr-report.txt
Download· Permalink
djtonytoca2201 3:54 PM - 26 January, 2011
ok i think i did it right..not sure, but I attached dpc report to a file...please respond asap...thanks.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:22 AM - 27 January, 2011
With USB dropouts - the most important thing is to make sure nothing else is running other than ITCH that can increase your computer's CPU - even background programs that don't actually appear to be open.

Quote:
my buffer setting is at 10 right now, however i have tried it on 5, 2..and it still dropsout.

I think you've got this the wrong way round - The lower the buffer size (closer to the left), the higher the CPU load is on your computer. So if you are getting dropouts you will want to increase it a little (to the right) not lower it. However, 10 is quite high you shouldn't have to increase it more than that.

I have taken a look at your DPC report and I can see a few things that are likely to be causing you dropouts :

1/. ACPI.sys (Power management)

If you have USB dropouts and are having trouble finding a cause on a seemingly powerful machine, check if your computer is ACPI by opening the device manager:

1. Go to control panel
2. Click system
3. Click the hardware tab
4. Click device manager
5. Click the [+] next to Computer
6. If you see "ACPI uniprocessor PC" or similar, you have ACPI.

Quick method for disabling ACPI power management on some laptops

Try taking your battery out and just run off the power supply, this stops ACPI from trying to manage the battery on some model laptops.

Also, make sure you have turned off the power-saving options as shown in number 10/. on this page : www.serato.com

2/. USBPORT.SYS (USB port driver)

* Try connecting to a different USB port.
* Use a different USB cable.
* Try using an external power supply for your hardware.

3/. NDIS.sys (Network connections)

* Disable all network adapters

VISTA:
1) Go to Control Panel
2) Open Network and Sharing Center
3) Open 'Manage wireless networks'
4) Right click on your connections to disable the Wireless Network Connection and any wired connections.

If you can't 'disable' them like this (it won't let me on my comp) then follow number 6 in this link : www.serato.com

4/. Portcls.sys

This is the soundcard. Try updating the soundcard drivers or disabling the soundcard.

I know it seems like a lot but it's really not too complicated ;)
Just follow the steps I have given you for all four things and you should be fine. I can clearly see that all four of these things are contributing to your dropouts.

Let me know how you go and if you have any questions :)
djtonytoca2201 5:10 AM - 27 January, 2011
ok i will try everything asap..., and as far as the buffer goes, i have had it on 2, then went up to 5 then up to 10...i know the lower it is the higher the cpu is...so thats why i raised it up...thanks for your prompt message back..i will let you know what is going on with the new suggestions asap..
DJ Spaghetti 7:36 AM - 27 January, 2011
I just purchased NS7FX, my laptop has over the minimum requirements, for the first week everything was fine, then i ran an update on my laptop and it seems like from that day i begun to have the problem of freezing. the music keeps on playing (even though it's stuck), plates spin, but i am forced to close Itch.. I have Itch 1.7.1 but did not download any drivers.. my first big show is on feb 4... please please please, HELP!!

I looked at other posts, i am offline, no screen saver... Love my new system, but please help!!
djtonytoca2201 4:00 PM - 27 January, 2011
Update- I ran itch for 1 hour i did every step except disabling or updating sound card..,(wouldnt that cause the sound to mess up or have quality issues)..and it droped out again..i dont get it..i have everything turned off like you said...please help...
DJ Spaghetti 1:31 AM - 28 January, 2011
S.O.S.!!
djtonytoca2201 3:21 AM - 28 January, 2011
@Dj Spaghetti, you have to download the drivers...for you specific spec computer...otherwise it wont work...and you have to do it in order...they have them at the numark website, with instructions on how to install them...
djtonytoca2201 3:28 AM - 28 January, 2011
Update I figured how to turn off windows defender...and did everything else on the to do list...and guess what???
IT WORKED.., I ran my system for 5hours with no drop outs...THANK YOU SO MUCH .., I will keep this thread open just until tomorrow, i have a big gig at a nightclub..and this will be the true test...
thanks again..
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:47 AM - 28 January, 2011
Hey DJ Spaghetti,

Could you please start a new help thread with your problem? Give a detailed explanation. It will be easier for us to help you that way :)

djtonytoca2201,

Just got your messages now. 'Windows Defender' is an antivirus/net protection program, correct? Yes you should definitely turn this off! That could well have been a big part of the problem. Let me know how your gig goes...at the very least it sounds like things have improved :)
DJ Spaghetti 4:18 AM - 28 January, 2011
uninstalled itch, got drivers, re-installed itch, i just practiced my set with no problems!!!
NICE!!!
I was wondering if the freeze cold have been due to the fact that when i was testing the software i kept on loading songs within 20 seconds, and therefore not giving itch enough time to "analyze" or properly load....??? should i be careful with that.....
However, something new sometimes comes up... i enabled beat grids, and when i Sync tracks, it does not always match the beat... why is that???
Much respect DJTonyToca, thanks for the heads up!!!
We in PHX over here, where jou spin?

Logan D,
thx for the quick support (less than 24 hrs)...
but could you guys help out with that last question...
Ciao
djtonytoca2201 4:38 AM - 28 January, 2011
yeah i analyize all my files first...and disable beat grids, I do everything by ear with aid on the waveform...make sure you analyze your songs first, otherwise the program will do it for you on the fly and give you problems, and if they are anaylized the overview will be automatic and not do it on the fly...

Dj Tony Toca is located in detroit, mi
djtonytoca2201 8:17 AM - 31 January, 2011
Update-I did 3 gigs this weekend and the system ran really well, however, i did have a small very tiny dropout this past friday and another small one saturday night, i think it might have been a couple bad tracks i had, however...what do you suggest, i have done everything that you have recommended...what else could i do to insure i dont have the smallest drop out...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:39 AM - 1 February, 2011
Okay thanks for letting me know. What it sounds like both of you need to do is this :

Analyze ALL of your files with your hardware connected - this may take a while depending on the size of your library. djtonytoca2201, I assume you have already done this but click 'analyze files' again to analyze any new tracks you have added.

Now when it has finished, sort your library by the status column - the left-most column next to the track name. This will group all the corrupt files together (if their are any) - these corrupt tracks are indicated by a lightening bolt through this logo column. Delete ALL of these corrupt tracks from your library as they can cause all sorts of potential problems. If you have any tracks that are being read through ITunes the corrupt logo is similar, a lightening bolt (crack) through the iTunes logo. You will need to remove these tracks from iTunes.

DJ Spaghetti, It sounds like you in particular to analyze your entire library as djtonytoca2201said.
djtonytoca2201 5:53 PM - 1 February, 2011
ok i have done all that, i had one more question, should i allow my sound meter on the mixer to reach the white?, i have fellow dj's say that it isnt good, to just turn up the master and keep the gain and the meter out of the white.., they say it is do to ''peaking'', would this cause my system to have a drop out?, and i currently have my headroom in setting set to 6db, should i adjust this...??
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:00 AM - 3 February, 2011
Quote:
should i allow my sound meter on the mixer to reach the white?, i have fellow dj's say that it isnt good, to just turn up the master and keep the gain and the meter out of the white.., they say it is do to ''peaking'', would this cause my system to have a drop out?, and i currently have my headroom in setting set to 6db, should i adjust this...??
Yes they are right you don't want your levels to be hitting the white if you can help it - it's okay if they are just touching it every now and then but if it's sitting in the white you are peaking so just turn the track gain down and the master up. This won't have anything to do with drops out - however you may see the limiter light turn on.

Less headroom results in louder output, but has a higher chance of the limiter engaging, especially when more than one audio channels are in the mix. With the initial headroom setting of 0dB you can apply 3dB of gain per deck before you hit the limiter. When the limitor turns on the audio will be 'limited' and turned down or sound 'muffled' and uneven. Try to avoid the limitor light turning on if you can help it, have a play around with the headroom level that works best with your system.
mike chach 3:11 PM - 3 February, 2011
should a DPS report be done with only one song ? or do we have to play for a while for the report?
djtonytoca2201 9:26 PM - 3 February, 2011
i did a dps report off of one song...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:27 AM - 4 February, 2011
I don't think it really matters - maybe play two to be safe ;)
djtonytoca2201 11:02 PM - 5 February, 2011
ok i did a gig last night and had three minor dropouts, i have done everything that has been suggested..., although a fellow dj, told me that i have to defragment my hardrive and once a week at that,...what and how do you do that, and what does that have to do with my cpu?, or how this maching is running?..., i am using a external hardrive...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:35 AM - 7 February, 2011
De-fragmenting your hard drive is definitely worth doing (though weekly may be a bit over the top). We actually have a section in this article on exactly how to do that : serato.com

Also, are you able to upload another DPC report to this thread. I want to see if all the latency issues that were causing the dropouts last time are still there or not.
Make sure you have done everything I recommended earlier.

Quote:
I have taken a look at your DPC report and I can see a few things that are likely to be causing you dropouts :

1/. ACPI.sys (Power management)

If you have USB dropouts and are having trouble finding a cause on a seemingly powerful machine, check if your computer is ACPI by opening the device manager:

1. Go to control panel
2. Click system
3. Click the hardware tab
4. Click device manager
5. Click the [+] next to Computer
6. If you see "ACPI uniprocessor PC" or similar, you have ACPI.

Quick method for disabling ACPI power management on some laptops

Try taking your battery out and just run off the power supply, this stops ACPI from trying to manage the battery on some model laptops.

Also, make sure you have turned off the power-saving options as shown in number 10/. on this page : www.serato.com

2/. USBPORT.SYS (USB port driver)

3/. NDIS.sys (Network connections)

* Disable all network adapters

VISTA:
1) Go to Control Panel
2) Open Network and Sharing Center
3) Open 'Manage wireless networks'
4) Right click on your connections to disable the Wireless Network Connection and any wired connections.

If you can't 'disable' them like this (it won't let me on my comp) then follow number 6 in this link : www.serato.com

4/. Portcls.sys

This is the soundcard. Try updating the soundcard drivers or disabling the soundcard.
3:00 PM, 8 Feb 2011
Download· Permalink
djtonytoca2201 3:02 PM - 8 February, 2011
ok here is my 2nd dpc report, please respond asap...This is really frustrating, i have done everything you have recommended, i am at the point, where i might have to buy a mac, because this is getting out of hand, i have turn everything off to get this product to work on my pc.
Please respond asap...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:23 AM - 9 February, 2011
Your DPC report doesn't show anything too major but again the two following things could very likely be causing your dropouts. Make sure you have definately done the following :

USBPORT.SYS (USB port driver)

* Go to your computer manufacturer's website and check if there you are using the most up-to-date drivers.

* Try disabling your soundcard.

------------------

Can you also please confirm this for me :

1/. Is the MIDI dropout light (NOT the limitor light) definitely turning on when these dropouts occur? This is important because if it is not then this may be a different issue.

2/. What exactly do you have your USB buffer size set to now?

3/. You said that the dropouts were better and less frequent and you have only had minor dropouts now, what do you mean by 'minor'? Does the audio cut out? For how long? How often? What about the waveform. Please be precise.

Thanks for you patience :)
djtonytoca2201 2:59 AM - 9 February, 2011
I have tryed all three usb ports., and yes the midi dropout light is turning on when it drops out, which is about 3 to 5 seconds, my buffer size is set to 5, i had it at 10 before that and the waveform freezes as well.
Yes the dropouts are less frequent but it is still happening..

p.s how do i disable the sound card?
djtonytoca2201 3:03 AM - 9 February, 2011
i had the buffer set to 5, and it still had a dropout, and then raised it to 10.., and i know the lower you go the more cpu it uses, so i tryed it on everything it still drops out no matter what i put the buffer size to.
djtonytoca2201 3:06 AM - 9 February, 2011
and yes the audio and waveform all stop when it happens...thanks for you patience, respond asap..
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:46 AM - 9 February, 2011
Alright I've had a good think about it and there's a couple more things I think we can do to lower your CPU level to hopefully fix this :

1/. To disable your soundcard go to Start > Control Panel > System > Device Manager > Sound Video and Game Controllers. Now right-click on your soundcard and click 'disable' (you can 'enable' it again by doing the same.) Now see if this improves your dropout situation.

2/. In the Hardware tab of the ITCH setup screen, make sure the 'Platter Speed' is set to 33 and not 45 RPM - this will lower CPU a little.

3/. Can you let me know if you still get dropouts when your external hard drive is not connected to your computer? Also, do you use the NSFX? If so, can you try playing without the external and/or the NSFX connected.

4/. Make sure you have the latest NS7 drivers installed on your computer. You can download them from here : www.numark.com
Just enter your details and then the download link will appear.

5/. Now if you have tried the above four and you STILL are getting MIDI dropouts then can you please download and install version 1.5 and see if this fixes it : www.serato.com

Please take your time and do all five steps. I would even recommend increasing your buffer size to 6-7 or higher. Let me know when you have tried everything :)
djtonytoca2201 1:50 PM - 9 February, 2011
ok i will turn off the soundcard and let you know what happens, as far ass the platter speed i have always had it at the lowest setting.
And for the external drive, i have played gigs with and with out the external, and had the same issue, same as with the nsfx, i have had dropouts with and without using it.
I am fully updated with all drivers, windows 7 64bit drivers from the numark website, and running itch 1.7.1.

I will post as soon asap, and if i get a drop out, then i will try 1.5.
djtonytoca2201 9:11 PM - 9 February, 2011
ok, i did absolutely everything you have suggested..and i still had two dropouts, how do i download 1.5, and do i have to redownload drivers, how do i do this, I need this fixed asap....please respond in a timely matter...
djtonytoca2201 10:20 PM - 9 February, 2011
UPDATE, i downloaded the link for 1.5 you have on the thread,and yes i uninstalled 1.7, and now the program will not recognize my controller, this is rediculous, and not only that, but when i go to the setup screen, it says it is version 1.7.1, even after i just uninstalled it, and installed 1.5 from the link you gave me now it will not recognize my controller.
Is there anyway i can get a refund or a check for the amount i payed for this product from numark or anything i can do, this is a waste of money, this product does not work, even after i have met all spec requirements, and have done every recomendation you have recommened..

what should i do?.....
please respond asap...
responding every 20 hours isnt good enough...
i have made an investment in this product for it not to work...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 2:34 AM - 10 February, 2011
Sorry about the slow response I'm trying to reply as fast as I can - we are located in New Zealand so there is quite a time difference and I also have many other users I am dealing with.

I am sorry this is such a hassle I do understand and i'm trying to think of every possible thing we can try to resolve this. Please bare with me :)

What I want you to do for me is this :
- Keep version 1.5 on your computer. If you have uninstalled or deleted it then redownload and install it from the above link i posted.
- After you have installed it (make sure your NS7 is connected when you do this), go to Computer > Program Files > Serato > ITCH and open the ITCH application file here. This will be the 1.5 version, if you simply open ITCH from a shortcut it will only open the 1.7.1 version again.
- Now, check in the Setup screen that you are running 1.5. If you can't get the NS7 to connect then I need you to download and install the latest NS7 drivers from here : www.numark.com (it is important you do this AFTER you have installed 1.5).

Alright, now you should have 1.5 running and your NS7 connected. We are currently investigating IF version 1.7 and 1.7.1 are causing specific dropouts with certain users (such as yourself). So it is important to test version 1.5 and see if the dropouts disappear or are improved. Let me know.

There are also a few more tweaks I want you to try aswell :
- Adjust your USB buffer size to the max (far right)
- Turn off the 'Hi-Fi resampler' option in the
- Decrease 'maximum screen updates' setting in the setup screen.
- Make sure you are not recording when you are playing.
- Adjust your 'Headroom' in the Mixer tab of the Setup screen to +9 or +12.

Try playing with 1.5 and also do the added ITCH tweaks I have suggested and let me know how you go. Let me know if you have any questions about any of this or you can't get 1.5 to work for some reason.

djtonytoca2201 2:51 AM - 10 February, 2011
im gonna try the tweaks with version 1.7.1 and then i will try to redownload 1.5 again...
and thank you for your patience, i will let you know what happens asap.
ENFA 4:25 AM - 10 February, 2011
Hey my man, I got an Windows 7 64bit pro I7-640 2.8Ghz 4GB Ram 500GB 7200HD Dell Latitude e6510 laptop and getting drops myself, and so far I did everything they told me and nothing stops it. I asked was it a Windows7 64 problem, but nobody said it is. So I hooked it up to all XP desktops and it worked flawless. Next I hooked it to an XP desktop with an AMD processor and had an dropout when I 1st turned it on but was good after that. Last I hooked it to my work laptop which is XP and it ran flawless also, so I ended up buying another Dell Latitude D630 2.2Ghz 2GB ram running windows XP and so far I'm running flawless again. Wish I didn't spend over an $1000.00 for the windows 7 laptop. But atleast I can share my experience to see if it helps a fellow DJ.
djtonytoca2201 4:21 PM - 10 February, 2011
@EnFA, i am willing to try anything... at this point
djtonytoca2201 4:50 PM - 10 February, 2011
Okay i have done all of the steps and it still says it is 1.7, yesterday i uninstalled 1.7, and downloaded 1.5 from the link you gave me, and it still said it was 1.7, what do i do know?...
djtonytoca2201 5:25 PM - 10 February, 2011
ok forget the last message, i uninstalled 1.7,and now have 1.5, but the hardware wont recognize, i think ihave the new drivers but i will download them from the link on this thread hopefully i can test 1.5 and see if it gives me the same issues...

keep you posted
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:43 AM - 11 February, 2011
How did you go? Did you install the drivers? If it still does not connect try running the 1.5 installer again with the device connected to your computer.

Let me know :)
djtonytoca2201 2:39 AM - 11 February, 2011
I got it running, 1.5, and downloaded the drivers, still had a drop out, i am convinced it is the either machine or my usb cord, im gonna buy a new usb cord tomorrow...and if that doesnt work, then i really dont know what to do....
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:03 AM - 11 February, 2011
Okay please let me know if a new cord works.

Also, can you press the windows button + pause/break button on your keyboard to bring up your computer specifications. Let me know what it says in the Processor line. For instance mine says : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q740 @ 1.73GHz 1.73 GHz
This will tell me what your processor speed is.

Cheers.
djtonytoca2201 3:32 AM - 11 February, 2011
Ok..i will let you know asap...
the processor line says
Intel(R) Core(TM)i3
CPU M370 @
2.40 Ghz 2.40 Ghz
4.00 Gb (3.80 gb usable)
djtonytoca2201 8:20 AM - 12 February, 2011
ok, i used three usb different cords tonight, one of them was from another controller i had and it worked flawlessly, the 2nd was the one that came with the unit and i had a audio drop out, for about 5 seconds, the third was new that i bought from best buy and that one distored like crazy....so I think we have a solution..., I got one more gig tomorrow on saturday, and i will test them all and let you know if this what was wrong with it all along...thanks for the guidance, you have been more that helpful..ill keep you posted ..
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:03 AM - 15 February, 2011
Hey, how did you go? Did that same USB cord work flawlessly again? Any dropouts?
djtonytoca2201 2:35 AM - 15 February, 2011
no, it got distorted saturday and dropped out again only once though.., and i switched back to the original one that came with the ns7 and that gave me a drop out as well, so two in one night, the wave form froze and the midi light on the screen lit up and the usb light on the ns7 flickered as well..

Then i went to guitar center today and bought a premium audio usb cord and plugged it in and got distortion, from two of the three usb ports, finally the last one sounded really clean(usb port i tried)...and was working for about 1hour, and i had a drop out again....

so i have tried 4 cords and they all have had dropouts, i am convinced it is the ns7 usb port or the unit it self....i have done every recommendation.

what can i do?, can i get a new unit, is it covered by the warranty?...
thank you for your patience
djtonytoca2201 12:34 AM - 16 February, 2011
What should i do...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:26 AM - 16 February, 2011
I don't think this will have anything to do with the unit.

At the end of the day you are getting standard USB dropouts (the MIDI light is turning on).
Lots of users get this but they are usually fixed after a few tweaks.

I know I have got you to do this twice already but can you please upload a trace report for the third time : serato.com
I need to see if there is still things that are shown to be contributing to these dropouts, and if they are still there then we need to find a way to deal with them / get rid of them - as it seems only then will you be dropout free ;)

Sorry this is taking so long, I might ask one of the other guys in my team to take a look at this also to see what they think. Please upload that trace report for us to take a look at :)
djtonytoca2201 5:05 AM - 18 February, 2011
I will be uploading the trace report asap..im djaying right now, and I just had 2 dropouts, this is really frustrating..
7:54 AM, 18 Feb 2011
Download· Permalink
djtonytoca2201 7:55 AM - 18 February, 2011
New trace report, please message me back asap....
djtonytoca2201 1:18 PM - 21 February, 2011
So What should i do?..
ENFA 1:34 PM - 21 February, 2011
I ended up reinstallling my whole windows 7 pro and did updates and now the system runs flawless. And thats without turning off this and that. My system now runs perfect as if you just bought the system right out the box which is the way it should work from the gate but I noticed it don't. I don't recommend doing the reinstall, but it was my way out of this bad situation.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:15 AM - 22 February, 2011
Hey djtonytoca2201,

Your trace report seems fine! Can't see anything that would be causing dropouts there.

So what is your USB buffer size currently set to? You are 100% sure that you still get dropouts even if you put it all the way to the right?
djtonytoca2201 3:18 AM - 22 February, 2011
its all the way to the right...i only had one dropout last friday night...so it is improved but its just so unpredictable..but i guess...ill keep working at it until i am dropout free
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:59 AM - 23 February, 2011
That's good, we've definitely improved it - but obviously we want it to be dropout free.

I'm trying to rake my brain to think what else we can do here. There is a small chance an IRQ conflict could be part of this. Are you able to follow this guide here and check to see whether your NS7 has its own IRQ channel : www.helpwithpcs.com
DJCru 9:39 PM - 24 February, 2011
marking....
djtonytoca2201 2:45 PM - 2 March, 2011
Update-i have djayed multiple gigs, and the dropouts are all but gone, minus a few hear and there, its much improved..as far as the irq conflict thing, i havent tryed it...but i will today, i will keep you posted
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:35 PM - 3 March, 2011
Thanks for the update - I'm glad it has improved.

Let me know if there seems to be an IRQ conflict, I know its a little confusing but basically you just need to see if the NS7 has its own channel.
djtonytoca2201 3:54 PM - 5 March, 2011
Update, i havent done the irq conflict check yet, but last night i was performing, and about 20 minutes into my set, i had a massive drop out, for about 7 to 10 seconds, wave form froze, midi light lit up, it was bad.

So i checked if i turned everything off, and i did all the steps, it has been improved in the last couple weeks, but last night was really bad.

I need to get this fixed fast, its been 2months of back and forth messages on this thread and we still can figure this thing out!

if i cant figure it out soon, i am gonna have to sell this machine,or get a new laptop( mac) to run it.
djtonytoca2201 4:01 PM - 5 March, 2011
ok, i followed the link about the irq conflict,
i need help, i cannot do this on my own...
DJCru 5:47 PM - 5 March, 2011
tony,
wow i can;t beleive you put your tele number but i understand your desperate.
i still investigating too.
i have toshiba i5 win7x64. I have done a lot to improve my system but i still getting about a drop out per hour.
i am actually testing now with my graphics card (nvidia) disabled just running on board graphics. definitely reduced latency but i am already low.
about once per hour my dpc latency checker shows a spike around 7000usec and i have no idea whats causing it. this causes a usb drop out. BUT - i also get the odd drop out with no dpc spike whatsoever so where the heck is this coming from?
djtonytoca2201 5:51 PM - 5 March, 2011
yeah i dont get it either, i am ready to buy a mac....
djtonytoca2201 7:24 PM - 6 March, 2011
update-i had another drop out last night, same thing.
i even turned the motor off for the turntables and was just basically just playing my songs when they were over, no mixing, no scratching no motors running...and i still had a dropout.

i was watching the cpu meter, with the motor off with both songs loaded up, and the meter was about 10% green with both songs playing, as soon as i turned the motor on, even just one deck, the cpu would spike to about 50% full, sometimes 60% full.

maybe this will give some insight!
please email me asap.
DJCru 7:58 PM - 6 March, 2011
hey tonytoca,
for my system, personally i haven't found motor on or off to make a difference with drops good or bad.
maybe it's just me but i don't tend to see any correlation between CPU resource and drop outs. i have seen drop outs with or without any cpu indicator response. I have seen ITCH light up the CPU indicator but task mananger and resource monitor showing my CPU at 20% and ITCH at 12%.
when i am running ITCH even at the highest (most CPU taxing) settings with fx and scratching, etc. my windows cpu monitor rarely even goes above 30%

what I DO see a direction correlation to is the MIDI indicator in ITCH, if I hear a drop out 9/10 times that MIDI indicator is lit up.

My i5 is above system specs and so is your i3. CPU load should not.

i updated my thread here today serato.com
i think i may have actually eliminated my random (one per hour or so) 7100usec spikes (always caused a drop out but couldn't isolate the spike)
i still get some drop outs in ITCH without dpc spikes, but i always have/had drops the other way around.
DJ Mista Cee 10:13 PM - 6 March, 2011
I think I found a way to trick scratch live to think that it's at lower buffer settings when it's really at a higher buffer setting as a result taking up lower system resources, and getting the responsiveness of lower buffer settings. The trick is to open scratch live, then put the usb buffer setting to 1 then click apply. After that shutdown (close) scratch live. Next open scratch live again. Now the usb buffer setting is already automatically set at 1. Now set the usb buffer setting to 20 and click apply. Now when you play music you have the responsiveness of a lower buffer setting, low system resources being used, and no dropouts. Hopefully I really discovered something here and can help a lot of Dj's that are having problems with dropouts. Hopefully this can lead to the rane techs to fix or remedy this problem. Let me know if this works. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 3:55 AM - 7 March, 2011
Hi djtonytoca2201.

I just had another look over your Trace report, and am still seeing latency caused by your USBPORT.SYS.

If you have tried different cables and ports, it may be something more than this.

If you have tried updating the driver, then it may be the driver or the actual USB archatecture isn't very good on your laptop.

There are three things you can try:

1) Disconnect ALL other USB devices apart from the NS7 to test. Does this help, if you swap ports of the NS7 around, does that work?

2) Use a good quality powered USB hub from a good brand (like Belkin). Test to see if that helps.

3) If none of the rest works, then you may need to find an alternative driver for your laptop's USB system. This may require a bit of hunting around online, maybe some Google searches to see if anyone else has also had to do something similar.
djtonytoca2201 2:20 PM - 7 March, 2011
Yes ive tryed 4 different cables, and all of the the usb ports...
however when i tryed a belkin usb cored from best buy, it gave me distortion from two of the three usb ports on my computer

and then i went and bought a premium monster cable from guitar center, and also got distortion from 2 out 3 usb ports on my computer

the only cord that doesnt give me distortion is the usb cord that came with the ns7 but i still get drop outs no matter what..

I will look into updating my usb drivers.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 1:43 AM - 8 March, 2011
Cheers - there is certainly something going wrong with your laptop's USB module, so fingers crossed you can get a good quality driver.
djtonytoca2201 6:30 PM - 8 March, 2011
Ok, is there any way that it could be the ns7 it self or the usb port on the ns7, because i have tryed 5 differernt cords. , because it doesnt make sense.

How can it be the computer usb ports, when its a brand new computer.

I have been told by other dj's that numark has a long history of problems with their hardware, i am at a point where i am going to make a claim..i have insurance on the unit. i am convinced it is the ns7..i am going to explore this option.

Either that or buy a mac.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 9:36 PM - 8 March, 2011
No, this is internally in your computer. There MAY be a chance the NS7 is faulty, but that would mean that both your computer and the NS7 are faulty. The NS7 would be able to be serviced, but you would still be needing to fix the computer. Chances are however it will just be the computer - so let's try and get this working, at least that way we can isolate the issue.

The USB ports on your computer connect to the USB architecture inside the computer, somewhere in this there is a conflict. New PC manufacturers often use poor parts, or cheap drivers for these parts as they aren't 'wow' inducing such as a fast CPU, large hard drive or the like. So we need to see why there is a problem here and fix it.

What the DPC Trace report shows is a clear latency in the USB module, so you could try talking to Numark, but as I said, this probably solve the issue.

So lets try get onto the problem...

If you have used multiple cables, then it sounds like it's not a cable fault.

You have use all USB ports on the computer, so the problem is deeper than this.

How have you got on looking for a new driver? This may be the cause here, since the hardware connections seem fine, the actual driver is how the hardware interacts with the operating system and software, and often, these can be poorly designed, especially for high speed throughput.
djtonytoca2201 11:43 PM - 8 March, 2011
to be honest i have no clue where to start looking?, can you or someone please help me with this?
DJCru 3:27 AM - 9 March, 2011
a friend of mine had distortion through his USB audio codec but it went away when playing through WMP which played from sound card on his laptop.
If you play a song on WMP when connected to your NS7 ( I have done this once so I know you can) is it distorted too?

This same guy would boot his comp in safe mode to get rid of the distortion which immediately seemed to mean driver conflicts. Turns out if we disabled his graphics card all the distortion stopped.
He took it to a repair store and they told him to send it to HP for repair so he just runs with on board graphics.
ENFA 5:15 AM - 9 March, 2011
Hey I spoke a while ago and went through the same back and forth stuff with a brand new I7 4GB Ram windows 7 64bit laptop, then I purchased a Dell D630 for $370 running XP 2GB of Ram and ran flawless without un-hooking anything. Then I ended up reinstalling windows 7 on the new I7 laptop and did the updates and it now has ran flawless without 1 drop since. I now use it again with confidence to do gigs again. I don't recommend reinstalling but Serato techs did all they could then I had no choice but to take matters into my hands.
DJCru 6:22 PM - 9 March, 2011
Hey ENFA,
ya I remember your post on that. But I replaced the HDD and did a fresh install of Win7x64 and same problem existed, same drop outs, same DPC spikes so we aren't all that lucky.
One thing I have learned (which Serato techs constantly remind of us) is most drop outs occur due to computer configuration problems, not Serato programming errors. However I do believe that some versions are more sensitive to comp performance (1.7.1 vs 1.5)
It might take a while but if your tech savvy enough you can tweak your OS to perform well without Drop-outs. Some systems just take more than others and every system is different. After 6 weeks of tweaking I am ready to take my system live for a full test run.
Cru
djtonytoca2201 7:13 PM - 9 March, 2011
@ enfa, yes i think that is what im gonna do next, reinstall windows 7, or downgrade to xp, it sucks, but i have to do something.

If that doesnt work i am gonna sell my ns7 while it still has some value left.

This machine is one of the worst purchases i have ever made.
I dont think i will ever by a numark product or serato product again.

I am currently looking into tractor products.
DJCru 8:09 PM - 9 March, 2011
Hey Tonytoca,
did you download the recent chipset drivers for your comp from Intel?

downloadcenter.intel.com

this utility will identify any driver updates you need from Intel
djtonytoca2201 8:11 PM - 9 March, 2011
i believe i did that already, and only a wifi driver was needed for update..
DJCru 8:12 PM - 9 March, 2011
here is your GMA
downloadcenter.intel.com
djtonytoca2201 8:14 PM - 9 March, 2011
Now if i download this, what am i updating or changing
djtonytoca2201 8:18 PM - 9 March, 2011
hey cru, contact, my number is in the thread. i lost your number
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:12 PM - 9 March, 2011
Hi djtonytoca2201.
I am sorry for your frustration.

Audio dropouts are an audio industry wide problem, so if you are getting them now, you may with any product, so whatever the result of this is, my professional advice would be test before you buy with any other products, you don't want to run from one problem into another :-(

As for finding another driver, what USB devices do you have on this machine, or have ever connected (ie. any keyboards, mouse, projectors, audio gear, anything you have ever connected)? It may be there is some other poorly performing driver that is causing some conflicts in the USB architecture.
djtonytoca2201 10:19 PM - 9 March, 2011
@Matt C, i bought this computer in november, strictly for the ns7, so i have never connected anything else other than a external hard drive on my computer. the ns7 is the only hardware, i have ever used on this pc.
djtonytoca2201 1:57 PM - 15 March, 2011
So how do i go about updating my usb drivers or getting new premium drivers?
DJCru 1:29 AM - 16 March, 2011
look up your laptop specs and go to mfr's website of your processor, hard drive and graphics card.
they will all have a support or drivers/download section that will walk you through getting the right drivers. they will also have a release date for each.
If you have intel processor go to intel.com
for graphics card mine was nvidia.com
just google each mfr and follow the links
DJrexx6 5:52 AM - 16 March, 2011
@djtonytoca2201

Don't feel bad bro... mine is doing the same thing... I have 2 V7's though...

They will randomly drop out/quit working and try to update the firmware automatically, which in turn freezes everything... I have support/help tickets but have yet to hear anything back from them...

When I hear something I will let you know...

In the mean time, run version 1.5, it will still be a pain in the ass, but just not as often.
DJ ENUF 10:58 PM - 16 March, 2011
Quote:
@djtonytoca2201

Don't feel bad bro... mine is doing the same thing... I have 2 V7's though...

They will randomly drop out/quit working and try to update the firmware automatically, which in turn freezes everything...

Same problem here. Bought 2 v7's in december and they do the same thing. (freeze and try to auto update firmware). Using a toshiba satellite as well. Funny thing is that computer is the same one I've ran scratchlive on for 2.5 yrs flawlessly. I have no faith in Itch/Numark V7 as pro level gig worthy equipment. Back to sl for my gigs. Too bad cuz the V7's really do preform well when the software isnt acting up.
DJrexx6 12:28 AM - 17 March, 2011
I agree I LOVE the V7's.... when the software works properly. I'm sure they'll fix it in 2.0

BTW, I'm running a macbook pro with 10.6.6 on it, so don't think its a mac or pc thing.
DJ ENUF 2:51 AM - 17 March, 2011
Yea I'm hoping 2.0 sorts out stability issues first and foremost. Don't give a hoot about 4 decks sampler efx I just want to be able to rock out for 4 hours without issues. Did get my free cases and 400$ rebate so I'm winning!
DJrexx6 3:25 AM - 17 March, 2011
I haven't got either cases or rebates yet... how long did it take for you?
djtonytoca2201 4:39 AM - 17 March, 2011
yeah i am so stressed out over this issue, but i do agree. itch is an awesome program, when i have no issue, i rock out with my ns7, it is a great concept, but its just not working right now period.

and as far as the usb drivers, i am gonna need some help with finding them, i am not really tech savvy. so if one of you can give me a call my number is in the thread.

If i can resolve this issue soon that would be great, i have a gig with Dj Godfather this friday in Detroit.
DJ ENUF 2:29 PM - 17 March, 2011
Quote:
I haven't got either cases or rebates yet... how long did it take for you?

Mailed out the upc's on dec 31st. Got rebate checks in about a month. Cases came in this week. And they were the right cases not the big ass ns7 coffin.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:32 PM - 17 March, 2011
Hi djtonytoca2201.

Can you please do the following:

Click on the Windows icon down the bottom left corner of the main screen.
Click on Control Panel
Click on Hardware and Sound
Click on Device Manager
Click 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' to expand the tree.
Make sure all the items in the expanded list are showing, then take a screen shot of this by doing the following:

1) Use the Snipping Tool application (press CTRL+ESC then type in "Snipping Tool". Doubleclick this to open)
2) Hightlight the screen area you want to capture
3) Select Save as... to desktop as a .jpg file

And attach the image to this thread.
Cheers.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:33 PM - 17 March, 2011
Everyone else:

Please start a new help thread if you are having issue.
This thread is getting a bit out of control, so we'll try to keep is on point.
Cheers.
10:50 PM, 17 Mar 2011
djtonytoca2201 attached a file: Capture.JPG
View· Permalink
djtonytoca2201 10:51 PM - 17 March, 2011
And if someone can help me, or walk me through the process of looking for new drivers or what have you...cause i have no clue how to do this.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 2:17 AM - 18 March, 2011
Can you please go to the website of the manufacturer of your laptop and install the latest BIOS update for your computer.

If the driver update didn't fix things, then hopefully it's a lower level issue.
Flashing Lights DJ DK 2:46 PM - 19 March, 2011
I just played 2 gigs last Saturday using Itch and the NS7. Both times about 2 - 3 Hours in my set Itch started freezin when searching formy music. I have my iTunes playlist showing and also have all the music in the files. No matter how I searched for the music Itch would get glitchy and slow. Thank God the music didn't quit but there has to be something better than this. I can't keep doing live gigs and have Itch crashing on me. I have a gigi tonight and I thinkI'm going to use Virtual DJ 7.02 this time. It is not the best but it doesn't crash or get glitchy on me.
djtonytoca2201 3:12 PM - 20 March, 2011
@ Matt-C i have already did the bios update months ago, and it didint fix the problem.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 2:04 AM - 22 March, 2011
I am wondering if there is a new BIOS update.

Just double checking something, if you don't read the iTunes library (Setup > Library screen of ITCH), do you get issues?
DjNice_WorldWideENT. 3:24 AM - 22 March, 2011
tony I got same laptop the you do I start it my on blog on serato there rply was the same ooo ur sound card ur usb try new cables I got 50 usb high speed cables and basacly I boght this laptop cause according to them my old toshiba suk now 2000 dolars later after all my equipment they say is ur pc .geek squad check my pc 600 gig hd 8 gig ram still doing it come serato on the real I work for a radio station bomba 97 .1 fm ya gonna get me fire with this crap they say if something is not broken don't fix it you guys change from 1.5 my problems start it ..coming with beat dude if you don't know how to beat mach with out that crap you have no business djaing ...fix this problem I'm mad and honestly I'm still waiting on video plug in .loosing money over this like I said I work to hard to get know and now I'm nlk ow as a crazy fool witch my crapy music stops every so oftennn ...serato do you like ur custumers getingg boo by 300 people.or ur boss at the radio looking at you like ur job is on the line .ur rep told me buy a new laptop mines meets every single requirement so wat now
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 4:42 AM - 22 March, 2011
DjNice_WorldWideENT.
A DPC trace report can't lie I'm sorry to say, so we are left trying to troubleshoot a computer that is using either poor parts or poor drivers. It's very hard when we use this. Many laptop manufacturers scrimp on parts or drivers and some even go so far to not meet international standards for these things. It makes our lives, and your lives, very difficult. We understand your frustration, but we can't change your computer parts.

On the flip side, we do work hard trying to support our customers, and if you feel we aren't doing everything possible to help, we are very sorry. We take pride in going further in helping customers than other companies, so this is something we take personally too.

I see I am helping you over here with your computer issues: serato.com
We'll keep working over there, so once you reply to me we can continue helping you out.

Cheers.
DjNice_WorldWideENT. 4:47 AM - 22 March, 2011
i hope so dude cause im sure runing out of time if this dont work i sure willtry bestbuy back back program and get store credit and get a mac i just hate macs and it shound be no reason for me to get it but if i have to then i will i guess is sad causerightnow as i got this messege im on toshiba site and i cant find any new drivers at all for audio or usb they have none none thissukx
4:53 AM, 22 Mar 2011
DjNice_WorldWideENT. attached a file: NICE-PC-dpcisr-report.txt
Download· Permalink
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 4:53 AM - 22 March, 2011
Cool, just get back to me in the other thread and we can continue from there. Cheers.
djtonytoca2201 2:47 PM - 22 March, 2011
@ Matt-C, I DO NOT USE I TUNES, so that is not the problem.
and when you say mfr website what does that mean?, I dont know what im looking for?, thats the problem.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 11:45 PM - 22 March, 2011
Go to your laptop manufacturer's website.
Go to the support page (www.csd.toshiba.com).

You will be able to input your computer model information, follow this and update everything you can for the laptop that is available. Hopefully there will be a BIOS update and driver updates.
djtonytoca2201 1:14 AM - 23 March, 2011
I have already done the newest bios update, however, there is a new graphics driver. i will download asap.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 2:02 AM - 23 March, 2011
OK cool. Let me know how you get on.
djtonytoca2201 3:45 PM - 3 April, 2011
Ok, so what now?, im still having drop outs what do you recommened?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:04 AM - 5 April, 2011
Do you have the Windows install disc? Is there any way you can install Windows 7 32-bit on your computer? There is a small chance this could fix the dropouts, however certainly not guaranteed and you would need to back up everything on your computer. Is this something you would be able/willing to do?
BLAZE LA DNB 420 6:31 AM - 15 April, 2011
this is rediculous... every thread i read has the serato and numark techs giving the SAME trouble shooting advice and ITS NOT WORKING FOR ANYONE....

u said you "cant change our computer parts" but if our computers work well with ALL other devices then dont u think theres a SLIGHT chance that its YOUR product's software or drivers causing these issues

ITCH is awesome when its running the way its supposed to be but i DONT UNDERSTAND why or how it can be so complicated to get it to run without audio drop outs

SL-1 NEVER HAD PROBLEMS ON MY PC EVER
Robd 5:09 AM - 16 April, 2011
Gentlemen, DPC latency is a potential problem with ALL software. Some setups deal with it better than others, but except for a few rare cases, heavy tweaking can fix the issue. That being said, computers are tricky and intricate. It might be worth your time to pay someone with a little more tech knowhow to fix this for you. The advice given here has been patient and golden.

@Serato staff- you guys rule.
AJDJ3939 12:57 PM - 16 April, 2011
Install Itch 1.5 Your problem will be solved... Serato won't damit it but its true.. Mac or PC most people have no issues when using Itch 1.5
DJChad72 3:55 AM - 21 April, 2011
I know this thread as aged a bit and may be too little - too late and this is totally out of no where. However the garbled/distorted description made me think of an issue I helped a friend with. He had a Sony Vaio, rouhgly 1 yr old at the time. He kept getting audio pops, distortion, and drop outs ... EVEN though the DPC latency checker would never indicate poor latency.

After about 3 hours of playing in my home studio, we had tried everything... my laptop/his gear, his laptop/my gear, and regardless of the gear it was only when music was played from HIS laptop. I pulled his power cable. Problem disappeared. He went and bought a new Sony Power Cable (a $100 expense, i might add) and the problem was solved forever. Somewhere along the line the power supply went bad or got wet... something. Therefore power coming in, bad. Power going to USB devices, bad.

I know that this is a long shot. But I never in a million years would have guessed root cuase = power supply that day.
10:31 PM, 4 May 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.