Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Pitch range adjustment

Hex 8:44 PM - 7 August, 2004
Just a thought, but I'd quite like to see some form of pitch range adjustment implemented in the software.

If a variable multiplier was applied to the rate of the incoming control signal it would allow users the option to set the pitch range themselves instead of being limited by the turntable. For example if a multiplier of 1.25 was used it would give technics users a +/- 10% range instead of the standard 8. More radical multiplier values would enable Vestax style 'ultra pitch' using any standard turntable.

Yay? Nay?
DJ White Lightning 9:01 PM - 7 August, 2004
seems very interesting
I say Yay!!!
DJ Dynamight 1:13 AM - 8 August, 2004
hmmm, good one Hex!!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 5:17 AM - 9 August, 2004
We've played around with this. Imagine what happens when you scratch with a 2x multiplier on all record movement. Very weird. Small adjustments to the record (i.e. tweaking the record to get it in sync) are also multiplied ... it's... interesting...
Hex 9:16 AM - 9 August, 2004
Quote:
We've played around with this. Imagine what happens when you scratch with a 2x multiplier on all record movement. Very weird. Small adjustments to the record (i.e. tweaking the record to get it in sync) are also multiplied ... it's... interesting...

I'd thought about that but with small multiplers the effect wouldn't be too great. Even the ability to switch to %10 adjustment on a 1200 would be really useful.
SpinThis! 6:09 PM - 9 August, 2004
if you want to try this out, open up your 1200, and change the pitch pot on the board. beat-matching just got more interesting (and more difficult); it's harder to zero in on the right pitch.
Stuart Ramdeen 10:51 AM - 10 August, 2004
Quote:
if you want to try this out, open up your 1200, and change the pitch pot on the board. beat-matching just got more interesting (and more difficult); it's harder to zero in on the right pitch.

yeah, this pissed me off when I owned the vestax pdx-a1s. The pitch range was ±10% but the slider was smaller than a 1210's so it made beatmatching a cow. This was the primary reason that I sold em and got the techs. I remember vestax told me that they had accurately measured a 1200's pitch range and it wasn't actually 8% but more like 10% (like hell) which is why they made the vestax decks 10%. Doesn't explain the smaller slider though. I remember I could of installed a custom vestax slider that would of given me a switchable 6 or 12% range, but that sucked ass too.

s
SpinThis! 3:16 AM - 11 August, 2004
according to ssl, the pitch range on my 1200s seems to vary... if i remember, one goes to like 8.5% and the other goes to 7.8%. whatever the case, that's pretty close to the defaults. anything to gain a $$$... that vestax.
ACME 9:44 PM - 26 May, 2005
Instead of multipling the pitch, let's add +8.
Resolution of the pitch is still right, but the tune plays between +8 and + 16.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 10:58 PM - 16 August, 2005
So if we were to add this, what should the range be? 10%, 12%, 16% ... all of the above?
Disco D 3:38 AM - 19 August, 2005
i think 16% is good, similar to the Technics 1200 MK5G. This gives a seamless transition between the top range of 33 rpm and the bottom range of 45 rpm. Some more extreme choices might be fun as well - like how the Numark TTX1 lets you choose between +/- 10, 20 or 50% - the 50% is a lot of fun for some extreme effects and also for making creative samples in the studio. This definitely is my top choice of added features. For years I have toured with a power screwdriver for the sole purpose of dissecting 1200s before I perform - this would be a lifesaver!
nobspangle 7:53 AM - 19 August, 2005
If we're going to have this might as well do it properly, the best method would seem to be something like you get on a vestax pdx-2000 where you can move the centre point ±50%
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 8:17 AM - 19 August, 2005
It seems that there are two options, 1st is to extend the range by multiplying the pitch, for example, make the range +/- 16% by doubling the value that the pitch slider is set to. This effectively halves the resolution of your pitch slider.

The 2nd option is to offset the zero point, so that the range is still +/- 8%, but the zero point can be moved within a range. For example, you could shift the zero point up to + 6, giving you a range of -2% to +14%, however in this case the resolution of the pitch slider is normal.

If you had to choose between the two options, which would you prefer?
nik39 8:54 AM - 19 August, 2005
Second one.
BassChamber 12:00 PM - 19 August, 2005
how would the second one exactly performs? i mean, would it work in relative mode? for example, offsetting zero point to +2, then move ttable pitch slider to +4, would the track play at +6, though the ttable pitch is set to +4?

interesting...
nik39 12:36 PM - 19 August, 2005
You could also "stretch" the control signal internally, so it would also work in absolute mode.
bush 1:09 PM - 19 August, 2005
Could you do it the opposite way too so that you get 4% instead making it more accurate?
DJ 3pm 2:10 PM - 19 August, 2005
option 2 please
Disco D 2:25 PM - 19 August, 2005
i prefer option 1!
Disco D 2:27 PM - 19 August, 2005
actually i'd be head over heels about either :) option 1 seems more similar to what's offered with other decks and CDJs but option 2 could be hot too!
nobspangle 5:47 PM - 19 August, 2005
option 2 is the way to go, that's how the vestax works. More than ±12% on a single fader is very hard to get acurate.
With option two you can have huge pitch variation but still have perfect control.
nik39 3:49 AM - 20 August, 2005
Oh btw. we need separate pitch ranges for both decks! Imagine you want to mix ludacris's stand up (100bpm) to some house music (120bpm), and the house track is already running, now you must be able to change the pitch range on the other deck independently or.. it wont make much sense, cause the running will also be changed. Hope that makes sense.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 6:56 AM - 20 August, 2005
yep
RTS 10:38 AM - 20 August, 2005
I vote for more precision versus more range.
Disco D 11:44 PM - 21 August, 2005
can we do both?:)
ACME 1:50 PM - 23 August, 2005
option 2
Deft 3:33 PM - 14 September, 2005
The only problem with option 2 is that you kind of lose the hands on ability to move a slider around and get big changes. That's o.k. if you don't intend to move it (eg. for a mix) but for scratching etc. it would be nice to be able to shift the whole pitch range just on the slider.
Deft 3:37 PM - 14 September, 2005
Also another thing which would be pretty amazing would be if you could allocate zones on your pitch slider to exact pitch changes.
Imagine splitting your pitch fader into say 6 zones, each zone corresponded to one pitch change value only. You could set these to correspond to the right changes to shift a certain note to another note. So, kind of like an emulation of the new Vestax Controller 1 table.
That would be cool.
BassChamber 9:40 PM - 14 September, 2005
thats really open a new field... anyways, that sound like a SSL2 or SSL3 feature to me :P

we want more updatessss!!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 5:01 AM - 15 September, 2005
1.4 needs a return to Zero button
Revolutionary 6:41 AM - 15 September, 2005
You could use the CTRL key though...
DJ Ovadose 11:31 PM - 4 December, 2005
what up...i just got ssl and i like it, but i do alot of screwed n chopped mix shows where the pitch is slowed down between -16% to -24%. i used to use the pioneer cdj 1000's that allow me to have a +-24% pitch range. If i read one of the above posts corrrectly...i would like to see the first option where we would be able to select from different pitch ranges on each deck.....+-8%, +-16%, +-24% and +-50%. this would be ideal for my particular needs.....hope this helps.

can we make this happen?
Revolutionary 6:06 AM - 5 December, 2005
In internal mode we can ;)
DJ Ovadose 2:21 PM - 5 December, 2005
yeah, but that takes the fun out of it :(
Daim 11:40 AM - 15 December, 2005
now this is getting more interesting in combination with the looping function.. i just had the idea to start with a very slow nice song an make a short loop at the end of it which sounds pretty cool.. the idea was to pitch it faster and faster (after switching to internal mode) and then mix another track into it which is much faster in its original speed (sth for the tips&tricks section huh ;))

but then i recognized the 16% were not enough.. and the problem is there's no option to make it speed up continously. i could click the 2x button for example to get it faster but there would be a jump in speed..

would be nice to add optional 32% pitch or make the 2x button just change to the double of the pitch(not of the speed in general, only the pitch i mean)..

hope i didnt explain it too complicated ^^

ps: u rock!!
spirez 12:25 PM - 15 December, 2005
Well if this is considered it should be made as a plug in.

Many of us with decks that have pitch select could do without cramming up the interface more.

I've got 8% 25% and 50% on my Str8-150s, nothing else needed!
Daim 4:34 PM - 15 December, 2005
i got technics with 16% which is not enough.. :/
dj r-juna 11:23 PM - 3 March, 2006
Hmm... I don't see why a mixture of 2 is possible. Say you implement a multiplier/divider, giving you 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 100 or something like that. Now, couple this with variable 0. That must not make sense, but, what about if you were able to, (like the post above) choose what is the 0 pitch, like +2 is actually zero so that you can go down to -10, etc, in other word's, sam's second option. Now imagine this: you set course pitch to +/- 32, get the course adjustment, then, hit a button establishing the current pitch location as "0" (though it stays at it's pitched up state) and set the new range to +/- 2 so you can fine tune right from where you are... you go from no resolution to high resolution, but the pitch does not shift at all when doing so. That way you have great flexibility in pitch, but can also beat match.
dj r-juna 11:23 PM - 3 March, 2006
ERRR, is NOT possible!! I think there SHOULD BE BOTH! hehehe
nik39 12:54 PM - 4 March, 2006
Hm, it sounds like it is possible. Why do you suddenly think its not possible?
mister iLL 1:14 PM - 4 March, 2006
i'd go for option #! and just do an additional slider range of +/- 16. unless serato can do both.

btw, this could be set on the fly from any mode, right?
dj r-juna 6:58 PM - 4 March, 2006
Dangit... My english has destroyed me... lol... In my first post I said: "I don't see why a mixture of two is possible" meaning, "i don't see why a mixture of 2 is NOT possible" Both my original post and my follow-up just must confuse the hell out of it, hahah. But, I think both would be very easy to implement, and, could be the best option yet seen on any playback device (I know this is not on the cdj mk3, is it implemented elsewhere?) and could allow for some excellent mixes.
neth 10:17 AM - 18 June, 2006
Is there any hope this will be implemented? That +/-8 % pitch range is the only thing i really hate my technics for... and i don't want to buy new ones or use cdplayers...
m0rph! 8:55 PM - 25 June, 2006
Quote:
It seems that there are two options, 1st is to extend the range by multiplying the pitch, for example, make the range +/- 16% by doubling the value that the pitch slider is set to. This effectively halves the resolution of your pitch slider.

The 2nd option is to offset the zero point, so that the range is still +/- 8%, but the zero point can be moved within a range. For example, you could shift the zero point up to + 6, giving you a range of -2% to +14%, however in this case the resolution of the pitch slider is normal.

If you had to choose between the two options, which would you prefer?

Glad I still remember how to "search"! Just had a situation last night where I was wishing for this functionality.

I vote for option 2, because having consistent control over your records is a must! :-)
eric_cloutier 10:48 PM - 20 August, 2006
i'm going to bump this up because i, personally, would use the hell out of this.

Quote:
i typically playing around 120 - 125bpm, and most all of the tracks i have are around that in tempo, so when i'm near +-0 on the pitch, and if i'm using a 1200mk2, i get stuck in that lock at +-0 and have to fluxuate both tables to get them to mix properly, or else that dumb stick-point on the technics kicks in. with 1200m3d's or mk5's its no problem though.

so...theoretically...i could change the master tempo to be, say, 115, and then almost all my songs would be in the +2 - +4 range the entire night, making mixing easier for me, and alleviating hovering around +-0 and screwing up a mix or two?
Heaven Beyond 12:37 AM - 21 August, 2006
YA,good idea!!
I'd love to see this too!!!
J.J. 9:26 PM - 24 August, 2006
Why not both.
I would love to double the pitch range on my Technics.

That's one of the reason I still use my DN-S3500. I can go from 4%, 10%, 16%, 24%, 50%, & 100%. I keep it at 10% and sometimes use 16% when I need it. The song still sounds good because of KEY ADJUST.

By the way, where is the P&T, Master Tempo, Key adjust update for SERATO?
Dj Suresh 7:24 PM - 17 September, 2006
I would love to see key adjust in scratch live
Nihad 7:10 PM - 20 September, 2006
option 2 is the way to go if not both are possible .. i also think it would be a fantastic idea to have different setting for that zero point offset stored in song tags, much like the track volume setting .. and also in setup view be able to activate or deactivate the offset, regardless of the tag ..

as i see it the big issue with the multiplication/division factor is that scratching would feel very wierd, and also the small adjustments as Sam mentioned before ..

option 2 is the way to go imo ... what do you think about a zero point offset setting saved within a song tag?
Nihad 1:12 AM - 1 October, 2006
strange no one else have posted here since .. essential to me!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 6:56 AM - 3 October, 2006
That's good, because option 2 is easier ;)
We haven't forgotten!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 6:56 AM - 3 October, 2006
Quote:

Due in version 1.7
Nihad 6:33 PM - 3 October, 2006
Quote:
That's good, because option 2 is easier ;)
We haven't forgotten!

just name the function after me and i'll be happy ;)
DJPhiebs 1:20 PM - 7 October, 2006
bump
mrflex 9:57 PM - 7 October, 2006
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get option 2 sorted!

I used to have some Vestax PDX's and i cannot begin to tell you how useful that feature was. I'm now back on the Technics and it would be great to break the 8% barrier, while still maintaining the accuracy us dj's need..

Option 1, would still be cool, ideally for the turntablists among us, but it could cause some programming issues? (I don't know that, just a guess)...

Get this one squeezed in to 1.6.3 guys ;)
Nihad 3:51 PM - 8 October, 2006
i think the turntablists wold benefit least of option 1, scratching would feel very very different because any record movement would result in a greater/smaller movement of the file. Any turntablist would basically have to learn how to do baby scratch again, hehe :)

Markers would be impossible because if you reverse the record faster, with multiplication you would end up at a different spot on the record ..

I'd say option 1 is completely useless for turntablists if you think about it, Sam, correct me if i'm wrong?
Nihad 4:02 PM - 8 October, 2006
edit: markers would become irrelevant :)
J.J. 6:52 PM - 14 November, 2006
So is this due in version 1.7 as well?

Pitch Range Adjustment
.....a) Multiplier .5X to 2X. Turn 8% pitch range into 16%
.....b) Offset 0. Turn +-8% into -4% to +12%
lindsaymar 10:38 PM - 21 February, 2007
I'm surprised to see this thread has been untouched for so long.
One of my Numark TTX's is dying so I want to go back to Technics.
This is the number one feature I want to see.

If it could be implemented with the pitch slider (in the same place as the pitch slider in internal mode) but with an adjustable marker (like a red triangle) instead of the fader (so not to get it confused with the actual pitch slider). That will act as the 0% off-set marker.

Then some multiply pitch range buttons 10%, 16%, 32%, 50% next to the slider.
(After you switch tracks the 0% off-set slider resets itself as does the multiplied pitch range.)

If it could be done like that I think it would be perfect.
lindsaymar 10:46 PM - 21 February, 2007
SORRY, I just understood the start of this thread. The Pitch Multiplier would be useless because even slowing down the platter with your finger would be multiplied, as well as cueing and scratching, etc....
So I guess the multiplier's out?!

Then 0% offset is all we have left. That'll still give us 16% which would be great.

I really don't want to go back to 8%
J.J. 12:56 AM - 22 February, 2007
A 1.5 Multiplier would work for me. 8% = 12%

A independent offset would work too.
mrflex 2:57 PM - 22 February, 2007
Quote:
SORRY, I just understood the start of this thread. The Pitch Multiplier would be useless because even slowing down the platter with your finger would be multiplied, as well as cueing and scratching, etc....
So I guess the multiplier's out?!

Well actually i think it could be done...

They managed to enable scratching while using the key lock function didnt they :)
Dj Tage1 6:33 PM - 22 February, 2007
Quote:
Why not both.
I would love to double the pitch range on my Technics.

That's one of the reason I still use my DN-S3500. I can go from 4%, 10%, 16%, 24%, 50%, & 100%. I keep it at 10% and sometimes use 16% when I need it. The song still sounds good because of KEY ADJUST.

I really will love to see this in the software also. Any word on when this will happen, or if this will happen in any new releases?
SpinThis! 10:17 PM - 23 February, 2007
I thought about this for awhile... it would also be interesting to set your own offset curve.

For example, you could set 0 - 4% or so to be normal pitch. 4% on could gradually ramp in value... so when you get to 8% you're at 32% or whatever you want. This would make mixing tracks with close bpm the same as they are now, anything else you could do some interesting trick mixing without touching the rpm button. Just one example...
ACME 4:31 AM - 24 February, 2007
I don't really think you can handle 32% pitch with just a quarter of the fader course.
Robin Wu 12:49 PM - 16 April, 2007
Acturally I'm thinking another idea to do that

A paramater to compress/drawl the orignal mp3 temporary
like 3:40->3:20/3:40->4:00 Or 100->110BPM/100->90
just like a pre-edited faster/slower Version.
each song has it's "speed parameter", and can be save just like bpm info, EX:0.75, 1.23, 1.27...

then you'll get a faster/slower mp3 to mix everything,
and the TT's speed is still the same, just use TT's like you always do.

I think it's better than option 1, because all movement will stay in original speed, including scratch.

I think it's better than option 2 too, because I don't want set 0% point between songs, I do lots of quickmixing, and this feature will make me crazy. but once a track's "speed parameter" is set and saved, I think people won't change it often.

Master tempo is a must in this idea.
Toby82 2:17 PM - 21 May, 2007
I'm for solution 2 and my suggestion to implement this:

Just keep the INT-mode pitch-fader visible in REL and ABS mode and add the value of the internal pitch-fader to the value extracted from the Timecode.
--> This would give easy adjustable Pitch offset.

As the slider is already implemented for INT mode it shouldn't be much work to do so.
J.J. 3:11 PM - 21 May, 2007
So is this due in version 1.8?

Pitch Range Adjustment
.....a) Multiplier .5X to 2X. Turn 8% pitch range into 16%
.....b) Offset 0. Turn +-8% into -4% to +12%
cjw296 4:41 PM - 2 June, 2007
Righty, as someone about to purchase Serato I thought I'd way in here. In order of preference:

0. (ie: having my cake and eating it) BOTH "option 1" and "option 2" as described above ;-)

1. Anything - I can see myself having to use CDJ's for the control signal for most of my mixing, and that makes me want to cry...

2. +/-8% (ie: technics!), +/-16%, +/-100% and now why I choose this over "option 2": +/- 4%. Yeah, I hear what you're saying about weirdness when scratching and less granularity when the percentage is greater than 8, but the increased granularity of +/-4 would be awesome and I'm already familiar with this mode of operation from the CDJ's (although they cheat to get around the "scratch speed" problem)

3. "option 2" above, this sounds excellent and I hadn't thought of it. It's only below "option 1" for me because I love the idea of +/-4 ;-)

NB: Whatever you do, please please please don't forget to make it controllable from the Rane mixer either with a button to cycle through for "option 1" (ie: like the CDJ's do it!) or assigning a knob for "option 2"'s offset.
The E Head 5:36 PM - 2 June, 2007
Quote:
Well if this is considered it should be made as a plug in.

Many of us with decks that have pitch select could do without cramming up the interface more.

I've got 8% 25% and 50% on my Str8-150s, nothing else needed!

Only thing you need is some real TT's
Padu! 6:17 PM - 2 June, 2007
+1 vote to extra pitch adjustment on abs. and rel. mode!
nobspangle 7:56 PM - 2 June, 2007
This feature is long overdue, and as mrflex pointed out above SSL now has scratch detection for the pitch lock feature so this should now be relatively easy to implement.

I'm still preferring option 2, I hear what cjw296 is saying about increased control by going to ±4% but for me this is about increasing the range of the slider (also I have Vestax PDT5000 which don't have a linear pitch fader so I already have plenty of control around 0% anyway).
cjw296 2:04 AM - 3 June, 2007
I hear what you're saying about new turntables and the like, but I'd really like to be able to turn up at any club and use what they have, rather than having to rock up with my own decks as well as the Rane mixer and a laptop.

I'm happy to go for option 2 if consensus would make the implementation happen faster...
Timothy Wisdom 2:06 AM - 15 November, 2007
Just wanted to bring some more attention to this interesting feature.

If we had to choose, I'd vote for the 2nd option (off-setting the zero mark on the pitch). But it's possible for Serato to implement both options and give the end user a choice (via the setup page) as to how they want their pitch faders to work.

With the new hi-fi-sampler functionality in 1.7.4, the music won't sound as wonky at very slow speeds. And being able to mix any tempo into any other tempo could be quite powerful. This is something that many of us are already struggling to do - this feature would just make it easier.

Finally, if option 2 is implemented, Serato could continue along this vein and support the idea of loading in a track in one deck and having the software automatically set it to the same tempo as the other deck (irregardless of the turntable's pitch fader position). I realize that loads of "purists" would call this cheating so it could also be made optional.
sinetwo 9:59 AM - 5 December, 2007
I agree, a multiplier would probably give unwanted effects, but every DECENT dj would know where you'd want the offset, i.e. -8% = 0% so +8% = 16% or vice versa.

So a custom pitch offset would be nice, so you decide where you want 0% to be on the -8% to +8% scale.

Alas this i guess is only valid for the 1200/1210 as newer decks have +/- 10 and 16 etc..?
Anre 11:08 AM - 6 December, 2007
Why hasn't one of the 2 options been added to the beta 1.8? What's taking the serato staff so long to make this happen??!!
Oh, yeah, and I vote for the 2nd option..
djal 10:27 PM - 6 December, 2007
I would love to be able to adjust the pitch range to +/- 8 for more precision. I have some midi devices and when I map the pitch to a nob and try to use it to control the pitch, you cannot adjust it because of the wide range, in internal mode.
neth 4:45 PM - 10 December, 2007
Quote:
What's taking the serato staff so long to make this happen??!!

oh come on... it's just about a few months over 3 years :) 3D Realms is working on Duke4 since April 1997
Tech1 10:33 PM - 11 December, 2007
Option number 2, Is it ever going to happen? This would be very good!
sinetwo 4:57 PM - 1 January, 2008
Superbump!
mrflex 7:31 PM - 6 January, 2008
Please Serato, put in this feature!
Audio Preacher 1:11 AM - 13 January, 2008
first of all I would agree that this would be a VERY VERY USEFUL addition to the SL features. I would definitely prefer 2nd option (pitch offset for both decks). I would also recommend to add a LINK-BUTTON between the 2 offset-faders, so pulling one also moves the other by the same amount when both are linked. this would give us the possibility to change tempo simultaneously for both decks during mixing without loosing beat-sync. imagine running a hiphop track at lets say 95 BPM, mixing in a house tune and speeding them both up to 128 BPM, all audible to the crowd... well it all depends on how good you are in finding the right tracks that fit together ;)

so Serato PLEASE PLEASE put this into the next version... THX
Audio Preacher 1:21 AM - 13 January, 2008
another point to think of is of course that it doesnt seem easy to put this feature into playback modes where needle dropping is possible (ABS and REL with needle dropping). but it would be absolutely satisfying if this feature was implemented in normal REL mode and INT mode. here it should make no problems at all with the playing head position.

like this, it seems to be an easy one...

PS: Also THX for the other great updates that have been released so far :)
mrflex 1:00 PM - 15 March, 2008
Okay, Serato... please get this in soon!

As a enthusiastic Technics owner (who used to own PDX-2000's) i miss the way i could pitch up anything, instantly, with the Vestax (to extremes of -50% to +50%!).

These are the two functions i think should be implemented.

1) Pitch Range (e.g 6%, 8%, 16%, 32%, User Definable?)

This would be a simple multiplier - So moving your deck x% would prompt the calculation by serato (e.g for 16% range - 2% On Deck = 4% SSL, 4% = 8% etc.

Having a shorter range like 6% would be awesome for tight (or you could say lazy :P) mixes.

Somebody else mentioned this might cause problems with needle dropping? If it multiplies the pitch adjustment on-the-fly would it not also take into account where the signal on the control record is? For example you could have two SSL records going at +8% each, and needle dropping would be fine - all SSL is doing is multiplying it.

Scratching wouldn't sound weird - like i mentioned in a previous post, they've already added 'scratch detection' with pitch lock enabled.

2) Pitch Offset

This is the feature i'm after the most. You've got your favourite track you wanted off your favourite site - and oh NO! it's about 5bpm slower than you expected.. how is it going to blend into the mix now?

On other decks - no problem - pitch that baby up and you're back on track.

However with serato, it involes specific track preparation before playing. You could always search by BPM in SSL (which i agree is a valid point), however sometimes i feel like breaking the speed barrier! :)

This may cause an issue with master tempo (it's already limited to about a 4% pitch range), obviously bumping up the offset could severly affect how it sounds if you want a pitch lock - this may be one reason why the SSL guys may wait until P&T before this gets added.

Although even if it is with out master tempo - this would be a great feature that i believe turntablists and DJ's alike would flock to.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add this feature!

Forum users, please bump this as much as you can!

:)
ryansupak 7:48 PM - 22 March, 2008
+1 for Pitch Offset (option 2). Seems the best compromise.

rs
Dr0p 3:38 PM - 24 March, 2008
Option 2: could there be a special mode that lets up change the zero pitch by moving the pitch slider (w/o effecting the playing decks). This would let us be more hands on. I guess this would limit the amount you can change the zero point at one tuning. Just a thought
WarpNote 8:40 PM - 25 March, 2008
Quote:
I would love to be able to adjust the pitch range to +/- 8 for more precision. I have some midi devices and when I map the pitch to a nob and try to use it to control the pitch, you cannot adjust it because of the wide range, in internal mode.

+1
Definitvely, ±8%, ±16% and maybe ±50% for internal with midi? I'm using an Akai MPD24 from time time myself, mainly at ski & snowboard events where regular decks are more of a "challenge" to set up. (impossible to set up...)
Mr Romo 8:44 AM - 2 April, 2008
Any word if this is going to happen? I would think it to be in Rane's best interest as alot of CDJ owners would switch if this was implemented
mrflex 4:49 PM - 4 April, 2008
I agree, and will personally keep bumping this thread until this is inplemented.

I don't need any FX, no auto mix function. Serato is great as it is - please please PUT IN THE PITCH OFFSET ADJUSTMENT!
ryansupak 10:40 PM - 15 May, 2008
bump -- Would love to get rid of my CDJs...pitch offset would make my day. Pitch multiplier would be good except that scratching and nudging would be funny...

rs
sweetL 9:42 AM - 18 May, 2008
Bump for good feature
mrflex 2:28 PM - 18 May, 2008
Bump bump
s3kn0tr0n1c 11:29 AM - 21 May, 2008
Quote:
Instead of multipling the pitch, let's add +8.
Resolution of the pitch is still right, but the tune plays between +8 and + 16.

yup a zero offset speed type is the way to go....if

sometimes the track is just a bit too slow still at +8 and you need a + 2 offset.

by adding (or subtracting) 8 you have full range with no speed range lost.

dont think a multiplier is the way to go.....because a slight changed could be multiplied too much and would be more difficult to keep in th mix.

i think it would be good if it could be added to the track id3 info rather than on the master turntable....then you could have your slow songs load up in the bpm range you want without having to "pitch adjust" on the fly.

Defo a good feature to add anyway.
scruzdj 7:30 PM - 23 May, 2008
Add 1 more vote to a larger range option
citi 11:14 PM - 4 June, 2008
+1 larger range please. That way I don't have to upgrade to MG5s just to have a higher pitch. I like my MK2s.
Eskei83 4:09 PM - 7 June, 2008
i would like the pitch adjustment ... sometimes i play in clubs with f*ckedup technics with different pitch-range ... so i can adjust that both turntables runs at the same speed when it's on 3% ... for example ...
h00vertime 1:44 PM - 9 June, 2008
THE SECOND OPTION OR SUPER RELATIVE AS IT IS IN DJDECKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!

AS SOON AS THIS IS ADDED I WILL BIN DJDECKS AND GET SERATO!!

being able to have more than +8 pitch is something that i absoloubtly NEED. on dj decks if you enable super relative mode, when you pitch a record up to +8 and its still not fast enough you just de activate vinyl controll, slide the pitch down to 0 (wich effectivly resets 0 to +8), reactivate vinyl controll and carry on
h00vertime 1:47 PM - 9 June, 2008
...and if that still isnt enough you do exactly the same again to get more pitch, you can go up or down as much as you like!!

MAKE IT HAPPEN. (plz)
h00vertime 5:01 PM - 10 June, 2008
so wats the verdict and when can we have it?!?! as soon as serato has this ill buy it
mrflex 6:21 PM - 10 June, 2008
I've been bumping and adding to this thread for months!

Come on Serato! We're not asking for complicated effects here, just a simple pitch offset/pitch multiplier. This could be seen as a basic or 'standard' feature in today's modern DVS systems.

Don't make people leave SSL for other platforms - because that WILL happen.

I can appreciate for the people who have cd decks - they couldn't care less.

...but us vinyl dj's would love this so much. I would probably never go back to regular vinyl!

Still awaiting patiently...
sweetL 9:02 PM - 10 June, 2008
Quote:
...but us vinyl dj's would love this so much. I would probably never go back to regular vinyl!

what you're REALLY saying is....

'us 1210mk <5 djs'.

i use vestax pdxs, i dont have this problem.
h00vertime 9:15 AM - 11 June, 2008
yes well ur in the minority arnt you.

N E WAY WATS THE VERDICT?! I NEED TO KNOW SO I CAN EITHER GET SERATO OR NOT!!
s3kn0tr0n1c 11:40 AM - 11 June, 2008
yup a pitch "zero offset" would be very easy to add no doubt.

cmon....give us it....PLEASE
ryansupak 4:52 PM - 11 June, 2008
Should it be implemented per-track or per-deck? I can see advantages to both although in the long run per-deck might be better...

rs
s3kn0tr0n1c 11:54 AM - 12 June, 2008
per track would be my pref.
h00vertime 5:22 PM - 12 June, 2008
still no answer... im going to have to start getting annoying untill i get one!
mrflex 10:23 PM - 12 June, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

what you're REALLY saying is....

'us 1210mk <5 djs'.

i use vestax pdxs, i dont have this problem.

I actually used to own the PDXs, and you get so used to the -50/+50 pitch slider it's unreal. Not everybody has this option though, and we need Serato to put this in!

This should be per deck - it could be hidden by default unless you want it on by going to the options menu. It should apply for both decks.
h00vertime 4:20 PM - 13 June, 2008
COME ON SERATO PULL UR FINGER OUT, I WANT TO GET SSL!!
ryansupak 9:45 PM - 13 June, 2008
My guess is that they're holding off until v2 for this...
rs
ryansupak 9:47 PM - 13 June, 2008
Oh, and I agree that the Vestax TTs handle this great -- but the problem, of course, is that virtually all clubs have Technics 1200s with (+/-)8%.

rs
h00vertime 11:33 AM - 14 June, 2008
"My guess is that they're holding off until v2 for this...
rs"

well either way i wish they would tell us, when is v2 out??
mrflex 1:30 PM - 14 June, 2008
Come on guys we want to know! Give us standard pitch ranges e,g '8,16,24,32,64' or custom by the user?

Help us technics users who don't want to pitch up the decks!
mrflex 6:23 PM - 18 June, 2008
BUMP

Please Serato, this has been open for almost four years? You mean to tell me nothing has been inplemented?

This, in my opinion, appears to be a STANDARD feature with other DVS systems - buck the trend and add the 'Vestax-Style' Pitch offset!

We want this - and again, in my opinion this should have been put in years ago.

...one patiently waiting SSL user...
mrflex 10:59 AM - 21 June, 2008
Bump
fl0w 2:32 PM - 21 June, 2008

This is not what Serato is about.
mrflex 6:23 PM - 21 June, 2008
Quote:

I think you'll find it is. Serato is providing us stable playback of digital files, thats essentially what the program does. Controlling the pitch is central to the playback. I'm not asking for effects or an auto-mix function.. just the option to extend / offset the pitch.

.. and if you think pitch ranges isn't what serato is about, i suggest you bump every other thread in this forum with a '-1' remark.

Anyways, still patently waiting Serato!
fl0w 1:01 AM - 22 June, 2008
Frankly, a lot of topics deserve a -1
h00vertime 1:46 AM - 22 June, 2008
flow, are you familliar with the concept of mixing two tracks together??
fl0w 5:25 PM - 22 June, 2008
Yes. And I'm happy with Serato. If you're not, blame yourself for not buying Ableton.
Padu! 1:57 AM - 23 June, 2008
Any words from Serato? Last post from Sam was in 2006.
s3kn0tr0n1c 7:55 AM - 23 June, 2008
Quote:

yes it is...

adding a little more pitch control digitally is a good thing..if you dont think you will need it then try mixin in things from different genres ....sometime the +/- 8 aint enuf.
Proto J 8:31 AM - 23 June, 2008
it's a great idea.

i haven't read this whole thread but hopefully someone mentioned that master tempo's algorithm will surely need to be upgraded for this to sound decent, it already sounds terrible on most songs within the +/-8 my technic 1200 allows...
h00vertime 5:21 PM - 23 June, 2008
i took a beating for it but... HERES THE OFFICIAL ANSWER FOLKS

"I've play nothing but Techno and House for the past 10+ years and have never needed anything over +/-8.

And please, stop making these posts. I know you are used to djDecks and how Adion, the creator (whom is a great guy by the way) will basically put it what ever feature anyone asks him to in the next beta version he puts out a week later. Unfortunately, that's not how it works here or "professional" software in general works. Features will come, sure, but stuff takes time and testing, then more time, then even more testing. Serato is NOT going to put out a version next week, or next month, with this pitch offset feature just for you cause you want it and keep begging for it. It'll come when (if?) it comes.

At the VERY least, you won't see this until v1.9 as this is a pretty major feature addition, and "major" new features only get released on whole number version (1.6, 1.7, 1.8), not the smaller point versions (1.6.2, 1.7.4, 1.8.1) which are mainly for bug fixes and minor revisions/changes to current features. Currently we're at 1.8.1 now. So, given the past time line of SSL releases, v1.9 probably won't be out for a good 8-12 months, so, come back in a year's time, and even then there's no guarantee they will add this feature.

And here's the "offical" answer

scratchlive.net"

you can find the original post in the thread 'jesus christ...4 years' that i started in general discusions
h00vertime 5:21 PM - 23 June, 2008
from konix
mrflex 5:30 PM - 23 June, 2008
Such a shame, this seems like it should have been implemented from the start. Bearing in mind it's mostly Technics owners affected...

:(

I still think this would be easy enough to inplement. Four years or no four years, there is obviously a demand for it (look at this thread for example)..
AKIEM 7:01 PM - 23 June, 2008
I think it would be okay to implement, but I would call it a bell or whistle and would never ever trevor use it.

And I would guess that kids who want this actually use this feature on other decks. What happened to those decks? (there is already a solution)

So, if you get this feature AND use those decks, are you going to leave it on and play shit at double, ±100% ?

eh, there is already a hardware solution, if this is on the list it should be pretty low on the list.
ryansupak 3:36 AM - 24 June, 2008
At least one big-name DJ is in this thread asking for it on account of Technics being the default TT in a club, so I wouldn't call it a naive or frivolous request at all...

I thought maybe I had found a workaround using MIDI control, but it looks like you can only use MIDI to control pitch in INT mode. Once you switch back to REL/ABS mode the MIDI setting for pitch is disregarded.

(I'm not convinced there isn't a workaround, still -- maybe a certain MIDI setting hardcoded to control it or similar?) At any rate, if it was possible I was gonna use PD (like MAX/MSP but free) to make a little "-8" button for each deck (which is all I need, personally -- just to bridge the gap between 33 and 45.)

rs
h00vertime 11:44 AM - 1 July, 2008
everyone is saying just use internal mode but that defeats the whole object of using serato
AKIEM 5:17 PM - 1 July, 2008
true, but doubling the pitch range is not the point of SSL ether.

h00vertime, what decks have you been using to get you get so hooked on ±16% ???
mrflex 6:06 PM - 1 July, 2008
Quote:
true, but doubling the pitch range is not the point of SSL ether.

h00vertime, what decks have you been using to get you get so hooked on ±16% ???

I can see where you're coming from on both points...

I think from a 'vinyl emulation' standpoint you're correct in saying all SSL should do is what it's doing right now. BUT... and this is a BUT - surely the 'vinyl emulation' is there as an alternative to CDJ's? As an example...me. I do not want to buy CDJ's but keep vinyl as it's all i've known - i've had decks for about 8 years and not wanting to switch to CD's...

One obvious benefit to almost all CD decks is the pitch range functions (as well as looping etc, but we'll not go into that). The point is i feel i should have certain functionality of cdjs whilst using vinyl records on SSL - again, just this pitch range / offset would be the ticket to avoid me even considering CDJ's... and for the reason why we need it?

Some tracks are by default too slow and could be sped up - i always face this problem on 1210's (again this only happens with certain music genres).

I am sure there are others on the forum who will agree that's why they bought serato - not just to emulate vinyl but to tap into the features that cdjs offer...

...oh and by the way - i used to own Vestax PDX-2000's, which are pretty much the king of pitch control (got to love the pitch offset!).
AKIEM 6:15 PM - 1 July, 2008
thats the other real solution, forget cdjs, use Vestax PDX-2000's - solved problem.

you still gotta post a video or something
going past 8, Ive never seen it

s3kn0tr0n1c 2:19 PM - 2 July, 2008
try mixin sum house(128bpm-ish) into some techno(140bpmish) and you will
AKIEM 5:31 PM - 2 July, 2008
okay, I just perfectly mixed -Luke "me so horny" (129 BPM) into -Luke "its your birthday" (142 BPM)

I pitched "me so horny" up to +6 and I pitched "its your birthday" down to -2

That leaves a whole 8% or half the fader for working room.

This would not even be a strange mix for me. Usually I stay between +1 and +4 the entire night. But if I wanted to mix these BPMs pitching down 2 and up 6 is fine to me.

And it is certainly possible to do with my 1200s with lots of room. There must be something else at play if you cant mix those bpms with ±8%

dj_penguin 6:53 PM - 2 July, 2008
Quote:
still no answer... im going to have to start getting annoying untill i get one!

Because annoying people always gets them to prioritize your request.

If you want SSL so damn bad, buy it. If you just can't bring yourself to buy it until the feature you want is included, don't buy it until the feature is there. But stop acting like the Serato team are your personal concierges, beholden to answer your every request and demand in a timely fashion.

They're busy folks, working on multiple projects (SSL, Pitch n' Time, ITCH, Video-SL, and the Rane Series TDM plugins, plus whatever R&D work they're doing on future products), and they've already made it perfectly clear that they won't be giving arrival dates for individual features. They're nice enough to keep all their development in one software branch, instead of having a release branch and a development branch, they throw all the developmental features into the main release as easter eggs that have to be activated by a certain series of keystrokes, so that curious users can find and activate these features before they are stable.

All in all, SSL is a great product, backed up by a great team. If it's not the product for you, go get another product that has all the features you desire.
s3kn0tr0n1c 9:55 AM - 3 July, 2008
Quote:
okay, I just perfectly mixed -Luke "me so horny" (129 BPM) into -Luke "its your birthday" (142 BPM)

I pitched "me so horny" up to +6 and I pitched "its your birthday" down to -2

That leaves a whole 8% or half the fader for working room.

This would not even be a strange mix for me. Usually I stay between +1 and +4 the entire night. But if I wanted to mix these BPMs pitching down 2 and up 6 is fine to me.

And it is certainly possible to do with my 1200s with lots of room. There must be something else at play if you cant mix those bpms with ±8%

yeh but sometimes you dont want to have to drop the speed of your set.....if Luke "its your birthday" was playing at +3 then this mix wouldnt be possible without slowing your set down...

i only really need about and extra +3 and i would never run into this prob
AKIEM 4:22 PM - 3 July, 2008
so instead of slowing "its your birthday" to 0, and mixing in "me so horny" at +8 (which is already stupidly fast if you ask me) you would want to leave "its your birthday" at +3 and mix in "me so horny" at +10?!?

Im sorry but that just makes no sense to me. Even for edm or whatever instrumental music, why would you be playing so fast? go ahead and slow down the faster track you are mixing out of, or speed up the slower track you are mixing out of.

and if you really have to, pop into internal mode for while

you know people are far more in tune with the pitch of a record then the speed of a record. what sounds 'slow' or 'fast' is actually the pitch not the BPM (within limits). one thing you might try to make the mix work if you have to slow down below zero, turn on the key lock so it doesnt sound slower then 0.

I still want to see a video if this, or at least hear a mix.

s3kn0tr0n1c 8:20 AM - 4 July, 2008
ill try and record it the next time i run into this problem.....

which is prob once every 2hrs of djing that i would need an extra +1 maybe +2....and usually with techno.

it shouldnt take that much work to add an offset to the speed control.
ryansupak 9:13 AM - 5 July, 2008
Personally I'd use an extra -8 since I play a lot of music slowed down. Stuff usually sounds just right to me at about -13, which is right in that spot you can't get.

Also, it comes up a lot when mixing between genres.

If you don't need it I'd say let it go, and by the same token I think nagging on the thread is unhelpful.

rs
sweetL 8:18 AM - 9 July, 2008
Listen.

You aint getting it, cause it doesnt make sense with the whole ethic of scratchlive, which is all to do with letting you mix with the hardware controls you already have.

Scratchlive exists to help you carry your music, and thats about it.

You cant control your pitch ramping, then you need to practise until you CAN control it, dont get scratchlive to make up for it!
s3kn0tr0n1c 1:38 PM - 9 July, 2008
yeh lets see you CONTROLLING a record at + or - 10% with your hands....
mrflex 6:11 PM - 9 July, 2008
I can see where sweetL is coming from.

One alternative is to open the troublesome tracks in editing software and manually 'pitch them up'.

...but again, my take on serato, like you're saying, is it's bridging the gap between analog and digital - however i feel for us lowly vinyl users - some pitch range function would be an advantage. Again about 95% of the time i don't need it - but some tracks need that extra push (especially for say techno/hardcore - uk garage).

If you've got a fast pumping set but one 'classic' track which is SLIGHTLY too slow.. what can you do? CDJ's = no problem, however i feel us vinyl users (of the Technics majority) should be given this feature!
AKIEM 2:49 AM - 10 July, 2008
its hard for me to see the worth of a feature used on only a couple tracks, maybe. And when you can use INT for that strange track that the artist made too slow.

SSL already has a solution. There must be a reason you can use INT mode for 16 and not the other modes. Switch modes.
s3kn0tr0n1c 8:41 AM - 10 July, 2008
yeh for now ill switch modes, pitch it up on INT then fine tune the other record with the pitch slider..

thatll do for now.
s3kn0tr0n1c 8:43 AM - 10 July, 2008
just thiking tho -

for skratching , I think it could be quite good to have the offest set to very slow -50 etc

then the samples would be stretched out and you could get some cool very VERY slow skratching on the go...might sound quite dope.
stefspijk 8:40 PM - 16 July, 2008
that's a really lame excuse to say that because people haven't used it, you won't need it.... that's as conservative as church and hypocrite as hell, especially if it really is an offical statement from serato self!

maybe you won't need it, but it is all about the fact that you CAN if you want to...and if you CAN because there is an option for it, people WILL use it! it's called progress, a thing some people really really like...
the same kind of progress from some people who wanted to play there mp3's like it were vinyl...and GAVE people that option!

"playing mp3 like vinyl?!?!? haha,I've been play nothing but Techno and House for the past 10+ years and have never needed anything like playing a mp3 as vinyl, so why the %^&$ would we want to design that?!?!"

in other words, please give us the option, so we can decide for ourselves if we want to use it or not...and reading this post, i've got the feeling that some people really want it (as do I)

thank you
AKIEM 10:10 PM - 16 July, 2008
you know there is a flip side to what youre saying?
add every shit that you can because some lone dj off in some far off land might use it.

but pay attention to the rest of the arguments

I doubt anyone starts using 16 just because its added if they never go past 4 in the first place

of course thats not enough, but we can try to estimate how many DJs have a need for it by talking about it.

I for one would never, ever use it. Maybe Im the only one, but Im not.

Maybe you would use it on every track you play but I doubt it. And for such a needed feature I still dont see anyone dropping any real world example of how they would use it.

And there are several ways of getting the same job done: jump into internal - use a 16 deck in the first place.

To me, this feature fits into the category of shit that wont hurt to add, but has too many other solutions to be hi on the long list.

87.56% will never even turn it on
stefspijk 12:02 PM - 17 July, 2008
akiem, that's not a counter argument, that's just YOUR opinion about how you see things...and what's the flipside than, i'm not reading any?

if nobody get's past 4% pitch, then why are all the new technics equiped with 16% pitch and the pioneer cdj's even with 50%??? because they want to provide the option and that people are using it!

i really would LOVE a bigger pitch range, as would many other people that i know...so i really hope some serato folks are reading this!

ps. internal mode just doesn't work if you're playing a gig, people want to adjust the pitch with the pitch itself...not with a mouse
nik39 12:11 PM - 17 July, 2008
Quote:
87.56% will never even turn it on

I think in 99% of the cases I won't use it. But it could be handy for the remaining 1%.
stefspijk 12:19 PM - 17 July, 2008
YOU wouldn't use it, but you aren't the rest of the world...
nik39 12:56 PM - 17 July, 2008
UHm, I was supporting (some) of your point of views. As said, I could use it for the remaining 1%.

Anyway, I don't urgently need it. There are more important things than pitching and beatmatching.

Read here:
www.scratchlive.net

There are more important features SSL needs than this "nice-to-have"-one.
AKIEM 1:28 PM - 17 July, 2008
Quote:
akiem, that's not a counter argument, that's just YOUR opinion about how you see things...and what's the flipside than, i'm not reading any?

The flip side is that it does not make sense to make a feature if its actually no needed by many DJs or if there are other solutions. Its my opinion, from my experience that 16% is not used too often. My experience is not limited to one style of music btw. And yes I can only speak from my experience.

If Im wrong and it really is a highly desired feature, then so be it.

Quote:

if nobody get's past 4% pitch, then why are all the new technics equiped with 16% pitch and the pioneer cdj's even with 50%??? because they want to provide the option and that people are using it!

well I didnt say no one goes past 4%
I dont go past 4%
but I also cant recall (outside screwed and chopped) any DJ Ive heard for as long as I can remember pushing it anyplace near 8% on ether end to mix. and yes I have plenty of experience where House, DnB, Techno, etc is played.

I suppose the reason 1210s go to 16% is because it wasnt to hard to double the pitch and they believe its a good selling point for people who want to push it that far.

so why not just use a a deck that goes up to 16% if you need it?

I dont see where its SSLs job to compensate for some hardware 'limitation'

And why do CDJs go to 50%, Im going to guess that its not for mixing. I know for damn sure that Ive never heard a song played at +50%. I would guess that its used for production.

Anyway again, whats wrong with just using a deck that plays at the speed you want it to?
Quote:

i really would LOVE a bigger pitch range, as would many other people that i know...so i really hope some serato folks are reading this!

ps. internal mode just doesn't work if you're playing a gig, people want to adjust the pitch with the pitch itself...not with a mouse

right, but if its just to occasionally fill the gap...

Ive still yet to see anyone post an example mix, or name two records. What was the last record you played where you wanted to go past ±8%, what record where you mixing into?

so far the only example was two bpms that I mixed just fine with plenty of room.

so yes, Im doubting anyone needs more then ±8% very often, I just dont see it. Im open to being convinced, but Im not.

stefspijk 1:37 PM - 17 July, 2008
oh sorry, i thought it was sarcastic...

I want use the bigger pitch range not just for beatmatching...beatmatching is a technique, but really not essential... so please don't only focus too much on that aspect

but really simple, a lot of tracks just sound way better when they are faster...and a bigger range of pitch is the way to accomplish this...

it's just progress of technology and i really don't understand why people are finding this so hard to believe? it's not that you are forced to use it or something...
nik39 2:06 PM - 17 July, 2008
Quote:
I want use the bigger pitch range not just for beatmatching...beatmatching is a technique, but really not essential... so please don't only focus too much on that aspect

Well, that's AKIEM's next victory then.

He suggested using internal mode. If you do not need it for beatmatching, then there is no reason not to use it in internal mode.

Quote:
but really simple, a lot of tracks just sound way better when they are faster.

Uhm, what? Maybe a few %'s but def' not +50% or anywhere near that value.

Quote:
it's not that you are forced to use it or something...

Bloat, bloat, bloat. This is the same SSL version I have to use. Bells+whistles : no, I am against those.
dj_penguin 5:34 PM - 17 July, 2008
Quote:
oh sorry, i thought it was sarcastic...

but really simple, a lot of tracks just sound way better when they are faster...and a bigger range of pitch is the way to accomplish this...

it's just progress of technology and i really don't understand why people are finding this so hard to believe? it's not that you are forced to use it or something...

Honestly, what I'm getting from most of these posts is "I don't want to shell out money to use a pitch range outside +/-8, I want Serato to add the feature to a product I already own", which is hardly a compelling argument.

Numerous workarounds have been posted, and the story keeps changing. First pitch offset is absolutely needed to mix two tracks, then it's not necessary for beatmatching, it just makes things sound better (if you like lots of high-end, I guess), then it's a trivial feature so why not add it because it's "progress."

There are other issues I'd rather see Serato spend their development dollars on long before pitch offset (eliminating label drift, for starters.) Many other DJs seem to feel this way too. Would pitch offset be a mildly interesting feature? Sure. I might even use it on three or four tracks I own. But is it a desperately needed feature that is crippling the functionality of SSL? Not a chance.

In software development, you can't just add things whenever you want. Even adding a little bit of seemingly trivial code can cause other parts of the software to break or malfunction. If you're building mission-critical software (and SSL is, it has to perform flawlessly when configured properly or DJs won't use it), you don't add anything to the software unless you're absolutely sure the feature is desired/needed by a large portion of your user base. Then you test the holy hell out of the new software features to make sure the new features are stable.

Pitch offset is a pretty trivial feature, and it should be at or close to the bottom of the SSL team's list of development tasks. If an extended pitch range is such a huge deal, spend the money to get it. A 1210M5G costs $550. A CDJ-200 costs $350. An X-Session Pro MIDI controller costs $100. A multimeter to recalibrate your 1200s to +/- 11% is $50. All of these things enable a DJ to use an extended pitch range. Pick a solution, and spend the money to get there.
stefspijk 11:24 PM - 18 July, 2008
I really don't understand you people....

why are you talking in terms of victory?!?!?!?!?! this is not a discussion about winning and losing....this is a topic about an option many people would like to see...and you are attacking this with the only reason that YOU personally don't want/need it...

dj penguin was the first serious person giving some reasonable arguments, but still the only thing i want to say is the following:

this is a forum where people can post an option they want to see added in their beloved SSL featurelist... and the extended pitch range is one of them. we are not arguing if it were the only thing serato will add ever, it's just one of the many things many people would love to see happening...so once again, an extended pitch range would be great!

swiching to internal mode is just no option, because people want to adjust the pitch with the pitchslider, not with a mouse or something else...buying other turntables is really a strange suggestion, because some of us do play outside their bedrooms and at gigs you don't always have the option to request other gear...

in other words, please stop counter arguing (read: bitching) in a topic which is dedicated about requesting something specific...
if you still want to do this, just please make your own new topic where you can talk all you want about how stupid/irritating/useless other people their wishes are...ok? your post are really NOT going to make me change my mind about something i and other people really would like....
dj_penguin 1:58 AM - 19 July, 2008
Seems to me like this forum is a tool for the Serato team to figure out which new features are most popular/desired so they can prioritize their development resources where they will benefit the largest number of users.

Therefore, I feel that a back-and-forth on the merits of each new suggested feature is a good thing, it helps to keep the SSL development process healthy. People wanted loops, lots of people, and they were added. People wanted a drop sampler of some sort, lots of people, and it's in the process of being added. If we didn't have these debates, SSL would not be the wonderful product that it is.

If your new feature suggestion can't withstand rigorous examination and debate on it's merits and win, it doesn't belong in SSL. If your skin is too thin to withstand opposing opinions, you don't belong on an Internet forum of any sort.

Incidentally, I don't feel that suggesting DJs buy new decks for extended pitch range is a strange suggestion at all. I have yet to go to a gig where I didn't have the option of bringing my own decks. Depending on sound setups, mixers can be a pain in the ass to swap out, but swapping decks is trivial. If nonstandard pitch range is a requirement for your DJ performance, it's up to you to get and bring the tools you need.
AKIEM 1:59 AM - 19 July, 2008
I dont agree
If you post something here, then its up for discussion. If you dont want it discussed then send it as a private message to some of the staff, thats what I do. You shouldnt expect only the congrats from 'yes men' what is that worth?

AKIEM 9:07 PM - 19 July, 2008
Quote:
I dont agree
If you post something here, then its up for discussion. If you dont want it discussed then send it as a private message to some of the staff, thats what I do. You shouldnt expect only the congrats from 'yes men' what is that worth?

this was for stefspijk
ryansupak 6:59 PM - 21 July, 2008
It's honestly *this close* to being hackable with 'Pure Data' (or insert your music programming language of choice here) if they would just open up the MIDI control a tiny tad more than it is...

I'm actually not convinced there isn't a hack using HID protocol (which is what the 57SL uses to talk to Scratch Live...)

If I come up with a hack I'll post it up here, at any rate -- though it will probably be for people with programming experience only...

rs
nobspangle 7:35 PM - 21 July, 2008
Maybe Serato should release new copies of the control vinyl repressed at different pitch ranges I doubt many people need more than a 16% range so if there were different vinyl for ±2% and ±4% then people could get the range they need.
AKIEM 3:15 AM - 22 July, 2008
wouldnt you need one side +8% and the other side -8% ?
that would give you a range of ±16%

thats a good idea, I would take a couple of those vinyls (wouldnt use them tho)
cristal 3:17 AM - 16 February, 2009
Hello
I want an extra pitch adjustment on rel. mode because when I mix hiphop you need sometimes more than 8% with technics MK2. It will be great if we could pitch more than our hardware can do.
Just add a pitch range adjustment on relative mode.
Thank you
DJ Trice 8:39 AM - 16 February, 2009
Maybe we can think about a button who loads the new to the same pitch of the sound who is playing.
So we can keep the -8/ +8 % range pitch.
Ex: Track 1 is playing at (100 bpm), Track 2 tat we want to play have 95 bpm.
When we load sound 2 (on deck 2, the pitch fader is on 0 value and when track 2 is loaded, his pitch have 100 bpm to, so we wan "pitch" it to 108 bpm.

I don't know if i'm really clear (sorry for my english lol.
Mr Romo 8:39 PM - 19 September, 2009
Wow, 4 years later and still no implementation of this necessary feature. ALL, repeat, ALL other competing software & hardware has had this for years. It would be an extremely useful feature. +/- 16, 25, 50 Ive used on the CDJ's a number of times, not for scratching, but for crazy changes in tempo. Often have i run into a perfectly keyd Dubstep cut at 70bpm, loop the beat or bassline, and greatly desire to mix in another cut thats 90, 100 or 130bpm. Sucks to not be able to do crazy beat tempo change and watch the room blow up.
but alas, I apparently must have to have cdj's or tractor to do it.
Why no progress on this? Its a feature that should be here.
While i see everyones arguments above, its simple: if you dont need then dont use it. if you dont understand the necessity of this feature... idk what to tell you.
This is a feature that absolutely is holding Serato back. No, i do not wish to switch to internal mode to accomplish this simple feature, often there just isnt time to.

A simple button selection for any of the pitch ranges could be easily added and would be greatly welcomed by many. A hot key would be super, but really we'd settle just for the feature. No weird x2 x5 x10 multipliers, just a way to select a different range than that that is hardwired to my deck.
DJFUNKMIKE 11:19 PM - 20 October, 2009
this feature will be very very very very helpful....tracktor has this feature....it has been four years already that users of serato are begging to have this feature....please give it to us already....is it difficult serato?????? im thinking about TRACKTOR!!!! MIGHT AS WELL SWITCH!!!!!
AKIEM 2:34 AM - 21 October, 2009
doubt it happens
s3kn0tr0n1c 3:12 PM - 22 October, 2009
or do whats ive been doing........if a songs too slow make a speeded up copy in audacity or other wave editor.......
Timothy Wisdom 9:36 PM - 23 October, 2009
Quote:
or do whats ive been doing........if a songs too slow make a speeded up copy in audacity or other wave editor.......

But we wouldn't have to do the extra work if a pitch adjustment feature was added. It has been requested for quite awhile now and it doesn't seem that hard to build.
KaBoom 11:53 PM - 23 October, 2009
I haven't read the whole thread here, but a sweet idea would be a pitch offset, so you can select a value that the tune is offset by at zero on the turntable

Example, you're playing a tune that is 140, you want to mix in a tune that is 120, you don't have enough pitch on the deck to get there, so you tell serato that zero on the deck equals +10%, meaning at full pitch on the turntable, you can get as high as +18%, and at -8%, you're actually at +2%.

I don't know if this would be easier to write code for, but it would mean that you don't lose resolution on the pitch increments, like you do on a cdj.
Millz 2:12 AM - 26 October, 2009
kaboom that makes sense +1
Mr Romo 12:43 PM - 27 November, 2009
rane will never do this... they should... but years later, weekly requests, multiple threads asking for the same thing... and it didnt make the rane survey? tells me rane doesnt give a damn what we want
Timothy Wisdom 6:32 AM - 2 December, 2009
Dear Serato,

Please hire me to implement this feature for you.

- I will work for free
- I will sign an NDA
- I have years of experience writing code in just about any language
- I developed a system similar to ScratchLive before ScratchLive hit the market:
www.timothywisdom.com
- I like New Zealand

Regards,
tim
nik39 10:05 AM - 2 December, 2009
Quote:
Dear Serato,

- I will work for free
- I will sign an NDA
- I developed a system similar to ScratchLive before ScratchLive hit the market:
www.timothywisdom.com

Impressive and intereseting!
joelfever 8:35 PM - 3 December, 2009
if you need to move more than +-4% then you are not a good DJ those records don't work FOR A REASON!
Greko 7:53 PM - 10 May, 2011
Yowzas. Plenty of vitriol on here. Anyway, Serato - please would you implement a pitch offset feature? I love my 57SL and the software I use, but it's a shame I can't apply additional pitch offset of say +/- 4/8/10/whatever percent like I used to be able to do when I used one of your competitors systems. It could, for example, take the form of the pitch slider on INT mode appearing in REL mode to give you additional scope for speed changes. which reset themselves when the tune is changed. For the benefit of those people above who will point me in the direction of a soldering iron - yes, I know I can rewire my old 1200's with Pitch mods but I can't do that to ones that belong to a club - much less if I'm trying to mix at the same time.
Thankyou,
Greko

P.S. nik39 - thanks again for ScratchTools, it is ACE
nik39 6:49 PM - 14 May, 2011
;)
Greko 11:53 AM - 16 May, 2011
Quote:
Yowzas. Plenty of vitriol on here. Anyway, Serato - please would you implement a pitch offset feature? I love my 57SL and the software I use, but it's a shame I can't apply additional pitch offset of say +/- 4/8/10/whatever percent like I used to be able to do when I used one of your competitors systems. It could, for example, take the form of the pitch slider on INT mode appearing in REL mode to give you additional scope for speed changes. which reset themselves when the tune is changed. For the benefit of those people above who will point me in the direction of a soldering iron - yes, I know I can rewire my old 1200's with Pitch mods but I can't do that to ones that belong to a club - much less if I'm trying to mix at the same time.
Thankyou,
Greko

P.S. nik39 - thanks again for ScratchTools, it is ACE

Thread Bump!
Billy18bm 4:21 PM - 26 May, 2011
i really don't understand why serato can't implement the core wants. This one as well as other feel like they are consistently agreed upon, by all users.
AKIEM 7:18 PM - 26 May, 2011
Quote:
This one as well as other feel like they are consistently agreed upon, by all users.

lol - you dint read thread huh?
Greko 6:40 PM - 3 July, 2011
Thread bump?!
Billy18bm 10:31 PM - 5 July, 2011
a multiplier what did i miss?
dj pesh 7:50 PM - 22 July, 2011
I love what you guys do serato but i have been asking for this pitch offset/range adjustment/pitch multiplier thing for a while and nothin has been mentioned. As an alternative can you not press a vinyl that has a tempo that maxes out at +16? i think that would be the easiest alternative if you guys are not thinking of implementing this. Either way i just want to play on vinyl and i need a +16 pitch range.
Please let us know if you will implement it or not, thanks,

p.s congratulations on Scratch Live 2.3 and Itch 2.0, i have been testing them and they are solid, thanks for brilliant product.
AKIEM 8:09 PM - 22 July, 2011
lol
funktruck 5:59 PM - 4 September, 2011
i would love this to happen i love my Technics but its so frustrating that i cant sometimes do the same mix on them as i can on my CDJs due to the pitch limitation. I prefer to use vinyl control with serato so this would be such a useful feature to have, c'mon serato whats happening is it gonna happen ?
Johnnynights 6:16 AM - 16 September, 2011
I barely got some 1200 mk5 and i was a cd player guy and used pitch with 16% and i can only use 8% with the turntables

I would like if they add this feature
Agent 86 9:35 AM - 3 October, 2011
Regardless of what method is employed, I vote "YES" to having an extended-pitch feature on Serato.
DJFUNKMIKE 5:06 PM - 3 October, 2011
Quote:
Regardless of what method is employed, I vote "YES" to having an extended-pitch feature on Serato.

+1000
Greko 10:35 PM - 20 March, 2012
+1
Or did I already say that? Come on serato, please help those of us doing interesting things with 1210's...
Greko 10:38 PM - 20 March, 2012
Eight. Years.
Greko 11:04 AM - 22 March, 2012
Bump.
Greko 9:49 AM - 28 March, 2012
Quote:

+ all sorts of numbers.
Greko 2:34 PM - 12 April, 2012
Thread Bump
PLE 11:08 AM - 17 April, 2012
I aslo use itch and is nice to get 100% pitch control...I love my techs but it is a problem.....I need this feature.
The Don Phileone 10:29 PM - 20 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Dear Serato,

- I will work for free
- I will sign an NDA
www.timothywisdom.com

and he's a brilliant producer/ dj
Greko 11:31 AM - 25 February, 2013
Coming up on a nine year feature request... This is NOT rocket science. Please do it!
Rhadesh 9:51 AM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Dear Serato,

- I will work for free
- I will sign an NDA
www.timothywisdom.com

If you can´t ..... let this guy do it....... couse we have no more patient........

and he's a brilliant producer/ dj
Sonic Gummo 8:14 AM - 12 November, 2016
Hello Serato.

I also please and demand Pitch multiplier for ABS and REL mixing.
The same future like range selection with INT enabled.

I am using turntables SL-1200MK2 with SERATO SL3.
The biggest reason i go to digital mixing was that i feel locked to my +8 / -8 pitch and i cannot mix a lot music beocuse of it.

Finding that i am in this same problem after investing in Serato is very frustrating.
Its DIGITAL, and turntable is only speed controller, why we cant setup this ?

If you feel, there are so many buttons, put it directly in setup section.

I also bought yours plugins pack for Serato DJ. But its useless.

Thank YOU for this future function in advance.
Sonic.
AdamWhite 2:30 AM - 4 December, 2016
I want this to be a thing real bad.
lindsaymar 4:32 PM - 6 December, 2016
Is it possible to allocate a keyboard key/midi function to act like a [shift] button so that when it's held down while adjusting the pitch slider on the turntable the tempo doesn't change in the software. The same way it works on controllers.
eg. That way if you're at 100bpm @ +8% on the turntable and you still need to increase the tempo you can hold this [shift] button while you slide your turntables pitch slider to -8%. The software will ignore any pitch change from the turntable while [shift] is engaged. So you'll still be at 100bpm but your turntable is now at -8%. Giving you an additional 16% of pitch slider to play with.

Sorry if that sounds a little convoluted but it really works quite well on the controllers. In practice it's quite intuitive.

I wonder if that would be easier to implement for Serato and work for most the people here?
acemc 12:28 AM - 28 December, 2016
Quote:
s it possible to allocate a keyboard key/midi function to act like a [shift] button so that when it's held down while adjusting the pitch slider on the turntable the tempo doesn't change in the software. The same way it works on controllers.

In my opinion this is the best way to do it.
I use it all the time with my controller,
but you have to first engage sync before the 'shift button trick' actually works!!!
I think it should just be made a universal thing, so that whether ur using sync or not, turntable or controller, adjusting pitch fader with a shift button held in ignores fader adjustment.
lindsaymar 10:09 PM - 29 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
s it possible to allocate a keyboard key/midi function to act like a [shift] button so that when it's held down while adjusting the pitch slider on the turntable the tempo doesn't change in the software. The same way it works on controllers.

In my opinion this is the best way to do it.
I use it all the time with my controller,
but you have to first engage sync before the 'shift button trick' actually works!!!
I think it should just be made a universal thing, so that whether ur using sync or not, turntable or controller, adjusting pitch fader with a shift button held in ignores fader adjustment.

Ahhhh, OK. I don't use controllers very often. That's good to know about the sync.)
Yes. Thanks for clarifying. So, just make the shift/pitch function work with or without sync engaged. And then Serato just needs to create a shift/pitch button for dvs users.

That would be my ideal situation.
DJ Boxx 11:48 PM - 31 August, 2018
+1 for this feature.

Traktor Pro currently offers this for their version of DVS. Possibly Rekordbox too.

As others previously mentioned it seems pointless that if someone wants to mix with a +/- 12%, 16%, 50% bpm using DVS they would need to buy a new set of turntables that offer it.

My Tech 1200's work as perfect as when I bought them 20+ yrs ago. With the addition of great technologies like Pitch 'n Time (Key Shift), Flip, Loops, cue points, etc.. it lacks logic that Serato would hinder our creativity with the limit of an 8% bpm within the mechanics of the turntable.

Any possibility of this getting life??
acemc 1:32 PM - 1 September, 2018
WOW! Just realised this thread was started in........ 2004!!!
Hows that for showing customers a toffee!
vinylmanipulator 10:27 PM - 6 September, 2018
+1 This would be awesome!
lindsaymar 11:19 PM - 12 September, 2018
What i love about this "Shift Pitch-Hold" idea, is that not only do you not loose any 'pitch-resolution' like you would with a turntable/cdj that increases the pitch range to +/-16% or 50% but you also don't have to worry about being at 0% pitch to switch pitch ranges smoothly. (That is if you're deck even has the ability to change the pitch range. 1200's of course don't!)

You simply use this when you butt up against the maximum of your TT/cdj's pitch slider, use the 'shift pitch-hold' and crank your slider to the other end and you've got another 16% to play with.

It really is the most usable way of implementing this feature that I can think of.