DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

TTM 57SL Production Changes (Different Knobs, Buttons, etc.)

megatron4m 5:25 PM - 15 May, 2007
Can anyone confirm some changes I've noticed in recent productions of the TTM 57SL. I know a handful of people w/ this mixer and noticed differences in the fader knobs, buttons, and the middle lock thing on the rotary knobs.
nobspangle 7:30 PM - 15 May, 2007
I think there are two versions.
The original version has centre stops on the gain knobs and sometimes the buttons could miss trigger.
The new version has removed the centre stops on the gain knobs and has different buttons which don't suffer the same problem.
I don't know of any difference in the fader knobs but I could be wrong.
DJ K-otik 6:01 AM - 16 May, 2007
Really? Damnit! I've noticed mine mistriggers sometimes. I don't mind the center lock on the gain so much, but the misfiring of the buttons isn't cool.
DJ DMT 7:14 AM - 16 May, 2007
I've also noticed my buttons misstriggering too!! I mean if this a real problem then maybe Rane should look at recalling the mixers with this problem to either replace them or repair them. I mean I can understand minor changes, but why some many hardware changes so soon? I forked out $2ooo canadian for this mixer and I want know that this mixer will last me forever!
DJ Kid Stretch 9:51 AM - 16 May, 2007
yeah! misstriggers is not cool man! i don't mind the gain stop, i actually like it, but misstriggers is not cool. can an admin please comment this, any change for us who bought the mixer and have this problem?
rabblerouser 3:41 PM - 16 May, 2007
co-sign.

i don't mind the center stops on the knobs, but the mistriggers have bugged me since i bought my mixer in october.

did they change the shape of the buttons, too?
megatron4m 3:54 PM - 16 May, 2007
my buttons are concave whereas the newer mixer has convex buttons.
Rebelguy 7:54 PM - 16 May, 2007
Should we start a petition. I spent a lot of money to be a beta tester for Rane. If anything they should allow us to send them in and have the problems fixed.
DJ Kid Stretch 9:31 AM - 17 May, 2007
yeah, it's a shame to be in this position. we were the first to support this mixer!heeelp! :)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:56 PM - 17 May, 2007
Quote:
Should we start a petition. I spent a lot of money to be a beta tester for Rane. If anything they should allow us to send them in and have the problems fixed.

how did you become a beta tester?
i have never heard of a beta tester paying for a product to be tested.
Or i could just be out of the loop...
m0nster 11:32 PM - 17 May, 2007
He means that he was a early adopter, they took his money and then developed the product further....not that i agree with that 100% but i get what he is saying. I just got my TTM57SL about 2 months ago now, and i'd hate to think i got one they unloaded on me off the shelf and newer(better) ones were floating around :(
Rebelguy 11:58 PM - 17 May, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

how did you become a beta tester?
i have never heard of a beta tester paying for a product to be tested.
Or i could just be out of the loop...

Sadly it happens all the time. Another example would be Cubase. Why release a product you know has issues. Yeah you eventually can fix them in an upgrade but it really doesn't say much about the ethics of the company. I am referring to Steinberg with that comment...not Rane.
Rebelguy 11:59 PM - 17 May, 2007
Quote:
He means that he was a early adopter, they took his money and then developed the product further....not that i agree with that 100% but i get what he is saying. I just got my TTM57SL about 2 months ago now, and i'd hate to think i got one they unloaded on me off the shelf and newer(better) ones were floating around :(

Exactly. At least we should have the option of sending the mixer in to be upgraded up to the proper spec.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:31 AM - 18 May, 2007
i can say 99.9% that wont happen ;)

unless it was a safety recall or rane is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyygenerous even just to offer the buttons for the users to swap out themselves
Rebelguy 12:48 AM - 18 May, 2007
I would even consider paying for it myself if it would get rid of the mistriggers.
Niro 7:52 AM - 18 May, 2007
If you are having mistriggers, than I would consider that a defect. They changed the cue buttons, but it's not too different than the original one. I have both the new and old versions and can't really tell the difference. I actually prefer the D-lock on the gains, especially with auto gain. I know that both gains are locked at the same level. Like I said, if your mixer is mis firing, than it's more than just update issue.

You look at any other product, you know how many vestax 05 pros have been out, with how many different types of faders or how many versions of anything. Yes you could have waited until the next generation, but that could be said for anything. And you'll end up getting nothing because you're always waiting for the next update.

S
nobspangle 5:00 PM - 18 May, 2007
Quote:
You look at any other product, you know how many vestax 05 pros have been out, with how many different types of faders or how many versions of anything. Yes you could have waited until the next generation, but that could be said for anything. And you'll end up getting nothing because you're always waiting for the next update.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell, I don't have any problem with misfiring on my buttons I think I've learned to compensate for it and make sure I press the button well every time. The centre lock on the gains pisses me off but then I got to have my mixer at least 6 months before the other people who don't have a centre lock.
DJ De Leon 1:39 AM - 19 May, 2007
I'm not fully understanding the mistrigger issue. Can someone please elaborate on this topic. Thanks
grrillatactics 3:13 AM - 20 May, 2007
Quote:
I'm not fully understanding the mistrigger issue. Can someone please elaborate on this topic. Thanks

Same with me... I don't have any mistriggers that I am aware of, so a little clarification would be nice so I know if it maybe is happening to me (although, I don't think I am having any issues in this department).

I also like the lock on the gains, but maybe I am just weird.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:59 AM - 20 May, 2007
Quote:

I also like the lock on the gains, but maybe I am just weird.

I Like it too,
Lets me know without looking where i need to adjust the gain to different songs
cappinkirk 2:17 PM - 21 May, 2007
the piece that goes on the fader and volume slider is a different shape on the newer ones also which is slightly more grippable, and the white stripe is thicker, it's more of a "double stuff" compared to the OG model. be glad you didn't get the original ugly 57.....pictured here

djservice.com
marx 3:10 PM - 22 May, 2007
damn no mods have commented on this. makes me think twice about getting the 57. even though the 2nd version might not do it now. but what it has another problem. there gonna let u out to dry?
AKIEM 7:03 PM - 22 May, 2007
you guys should contact Rane directly
grrillatactics 8:50 PM - 23 May, 2007
Quote:
you guys should contact Rane directly

I sure should. It would be a little note like this:

Dear Rane people,
I really like my mixer. It is really kick-ass!!!
Love,
Nolan

because I am having no problems/difficulties with this mixer at all. I am not having any mis-triggers with my buttons, and I like the lock on the gains, and everything else seems up to snuff from what I have experienced from Rane gear in the past. Split cue is really all that I am wiating for, and some new effects, and maybe video (I doubt if I would use it much, but I think it will be a fun toy).
nik39 9:19 PM - 23 May, 2007
grilla, when did you buy your mixer?
Niro 2:44 AM - 24 May, 2007
Quote:
damn no mods have commented on this. makes me think twice about getting the 57. even though the 2nd version might not do it now. but what it has another problem. there gonna let u out to dry?

Than you should think twice about getting any mixer, like I said do you know how many faders vestax modles have gone thru. The Rane changes aren't drastic, look at the 56 it's gone thru 3 knob changes, but functionally the 3rd gen works just like the 1st gen.

S
marx 2:46 AM - 24 May, 2007
dude u gotta understand some of these comments aren't really for u. there for the mods to get in on it. smarten up a little bit.
nik39 8:33 AM - 24 May, 2007
If the comments are not for "us" whats the point in posting it here? There is a function called "private message".
grrillatactics 1:14 PM - 24 May, 2007
Quote:
grilla, when did you buy your mixer?

I cant' remember for sure, but it was about 8 or 9 months ago (I have the receipt at home).
cappinkirk 2:07 PM - 24 May, 2007
the 57 is hella tight. not that i wouldn't appreciate a new one in exchange, but mine works and it rocks.
Niro 6:04 PM - 24 May, 2007
Quote:
dude u gotta understand some of these comments aren't really for u. there for the mods to get in on it. smarten up a little bit.

Sorry man, I didn't realized you were starting this thread to get the mods into it. I thought the thread was started by someone else asking about some modifications that occured from the when the mixer first came out and where it is at now. And I was trying to help out, since I'm familiar with and own both models, also this is a public forum. I have also been DJing for awhile and have been thru a lot of mixers, modded most of them. I was trying to state that Rane has been exceptional in reliability and performance and that there's no need to worry. If something does goe wrong they are more than willing to fix it. I can say this because I know a few main people that work there and they are great people and really care about what they do.

My advice is if you have a specific question for the mods that work at Rane, than you should give them a call.

S
marx 8:40 PM - 24 May, 2007
not trying bang u up....i just know how often they're on here...but instead of them posting they just pass it. just pointing out something. I'm sure they have great support. I know shaun is still there...its great to hear the same dedicated person answer the phone & not in a hurry to get off.