DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Music Piracy Crackdown Nets MORE College Kids...

DJJOHNNYM 2:23 AM - 15 May, 2007
Music piracy crackdown nets college kids

At least 500 students nationwide have paid settlements to avoid being sued

University of Nebraska-Lincoln advertising major Sarah Barg recounts her music downloading experiences. Barg is one of hundreds of students at college campuses across the country whose semester changed when they got a letter from the Recording Industry Association of America, telling them they could either pay a settlement or be sued for illegally downloading music.

By Anna Jo Bratton

Updated: 4:34 p.m. ET May 13, 2007
LINCOLN, Neb. - At first, Sarah Barg thought the e-mail was a scam.

Some group called the Recording Industry Association of America was accusing the University of Nebraska-Lincoln sophomore of illegally downloading 381 songs using the school's computer network and a program called Ares.

The letter said she might be sued but offered her the chance to settle out of court.

Barg couldn't imagine anyone expected her to pay $3,000 — $7.87 per song — for some 1980s ballads and Spice Girls tunes she downloaded for laughs in her dorm room. Besides, the 20-year-old had friends who had downloaded thousands of songs without repercussion.

"Obviously I knew it was illegal, but no one got in trouble for it," Barg said.

But Barg's perspective changed quickly that Thursday in March, when she called student legal services and found out the e-mail was no joke and that she had a pricey decision to make.

Barg is one of 61 students at UNL and hundreds at more than 60 college campuses across the country who have received letters from the recording industry group, threatening a lawsuit if they don't settle out of court.

"Any student on any campus in the country who is illegally downloading music may receive one of these letters in the coming months," said Jenni Engebretsen, an RIAA spokeswoman.

Barg's parents paid the $3,000 settlement. Without their help, "I don't know what I would have done. I'm only 20 years old," she said.

At least 500 university students nationwide have paid settlements to avoid being sued, Engebretsen said. Students who don't take the offer face lawsuits — and minimum damages of $750 for each copyrighted recording shared if they lose.

UNL officials have been told 32 more letters are on the way. At least 17 UNL students who did not take the settlement offer have been sued, according to the RIAA, although the university has been asked to forward only five subpoenas.

But the students coughing up the cash question why they're the ones getting in trouble.

"They're targeting the worst people," UNL freshman Andrew Johnson, who also settled for $3,000. "Legally, it probably makes sense, because we don't have the money to fight."

Johnson got his e-mail in February, with the recording industry group's first wave of letters targeting college students. He had downloaded 100 songs on a program called LimeWire using the university network.

The money to settle came from the 18-year-old's college fund. He'll work three jobs this summer to pay back the money.

Johnson compares what he did to people driving 5 miles per hour over the speed limit.

"It's not like I downloaded millions of songs and sold them to people," Johnson said.

But just one song can bring a lawsuit, Engebretsen said.

"It is important to send the message that this is illegal, you can be caught, and there are consequences," she said.

The industry realizes attitudes need changing, and money from the settlements is reinvested in educational programs schools and other groups can use to spread the word that song sharing can have severe consequences.

Some of the programs are tailored to start with third-graders.

"We do recognize that by the time students reach college, many of their music habits are already formed," Engebretsen said.

Earlier this month, members of Congress sent a letter to officials from 19 universities, including UNL, asking for information about schools' anti-piracy policies.

Students say its bullying
According to the letter, more than half of college students download copyrighted music and movies. The information requested is intended to help assess whether Congress needs to advance legislation to ensure illegal downloading "is no longer commonly associated with student life on some U.S. campuses," the letter says.

Barg is still angry about her letter from the recording industry group, which she calls bullying. But she agrees sharing music is common, and that other students don't understand the consequences.

"Technically, I'm guilty. I just think it's ridiculous, the way they're going about it," Barg said. "We have to find a way to adjust our legal policy to take into account this new technology, and so far, they're not doing a very good job."

Barg thinks the university should send an e-mail to all students, warning them that the recording industry won't look the other way.

As campus clears out for the summer, UNL officials are considering launching a new educational campaign in the fall.

"If we can do anything to help educate students about what illegal file-sharing is, we're willing and interested in doing that," said Kelly Bartling, a university spokeswoman.

Bartling said no one wants students to have to worry about how to pay tuition because of an expensive settlement. "It is a hugely expensive lesson," Bartling said.

Johnson, the UNL freshman, doesn't think the threats from the recording industry group are going to solve the problem. Friends who know he got in trouble still share music online.

"People are still going to do it until they get caught, and they can't catch everyone," Johnson said.

www.msnbc.msn.com
sixxx 3:20 AM - 15 May, 2007
In other words, if you're not in college... feel free to download illegally? lol
Dash Kinetix 4:59 AM - 15 May, 2007
if you're stupid enough to get caught you deserve to get popped.
Psyko Logical 7:58 AM - 15 May, 2007
FUCK THE RIAA
Monk-A 10:13 AM - 15 May, 2007
*pretends to cry*

BoohF*ckinghoo, i got caught and now i don't want to take the consequences...

I find it very hard to weep for those that get cauht doing this ish... i love how it's a case of "i only downloaded a few 100" so thats $100 worth of music at least that she could have dropped on Itunes, if you got caught stealing $100 out of a cash register you'd get arrested this is no different.
Dj Sparky 11:51 AM - 15 May, 2007
I love these discussions and i'd love to get a hold of you guys hard drives that preach from the rooftops about taking the moral highground, who here can hosestly say they never illegally downloaded a song? i thought so
Monk-A 11:59 AM - 15 May, 2007
Well considering i own a record label and we've lost out on numerous sales because dirtbag journo's decided to upload their promo copies to Soulseek i feel i have the right to preach as much as i want on this subject.

I can accept people DL'ing a couple of songs, but 100's is taking the piss, and hosting them on is just as bad...

but ultimatly you do somethign illegal and get caught don't moan about ti not being fair
J0be 1:16 PM - 15 May, 2007
Its such a difficult decision. I can totally understand why so many people around the world download illegally. The cost of living alone these days is enough to leave you broke. I consider myself to be on a pretty decent wage (in the uk) and I have very little left to fork out on tunes month to month. And then of course you're left with a choice. You can either go down the right path, and maybe pick up a few tunes here and there, and watch your library grow slowly, or you can download tracks illegally, and see your library skyrocket through the f*cking roof, leaving you with every tune you ever wanted, in absolutely no time at all. Of course you have to consider the implications, record companies lose money, producers don’t get what they deserve for their hard work.
But at the end of the day, a DJs job can be made considerably easier and more profitable by going the illegal route.
So we're all a bit selfish. You only live once.
Nicky Blunt 2:30 PM - 15 May, 2007
hypothetically speaking if you allready own the specific song in question say on vinyl or even cassette would you still be breaking the law by downloading it? As surly you have allready taken ownership of the copyright.

Also how is downloading the song & uploading the song as bad?

I mean surley you would be more pissed at the guy/girl who is uploading & making the music available to steal right?
Likwid 2:47 PM - 15 May, 2007
Quote:
I love these discussions and i'd love to get a hold of you guys hard drives that preach from the rooftops about taking the moral highground, who here can hosestly say they never illegally downloaded a song? i thought so

yup
BanTrePeezyDotCom 3:17 PM - 15 May, 2007
wow
Nicky Blunt 3:18 PM - 15 May, 2007
anyone care to answer my question????
DJJOHNNYM 3:30 PM - 15 May, 2007
Quote:
hypothetically speaking if you allready own the specific song in question say on vinyl or even cassette would you still be breaking the law by downloading it? As surly you have allready taken ownership of the copyright.

I mean surley you would be more pissed at the guy/girl who is uploading & making the music available to steal right?

If you download a song for free...YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW. PERIOD. It doesn't matter if you already OWN the song.

If you own a song, YOU have to make YOUR OWN COPY. You can't walk into a record store, and tell the clerk that, "Hey, I own that album in vinyl format at home, so you need to give me that CD copy that you have sitting on the shelf".

You are not allowed to UPLOAD ANYTHING EITHER. You are not allowed to SHARE anything. If you have an mp3 of a song, you may GIVE OR SELL IT to somebody else, but you have to destroy all copies of it once you do.
DJJOHNNYM 3:31 PM - 15 May, 2007
I'm sorry, you may UPLOAD MUSIC that you have permission to SHARE, or if you have created the musical composition yourself, and you want it available to the public.

Anything else that somebody else made, you need permission.
Nicky Blunt 3:39 PM - 15 May, 2007
really you mean there is no grey area with you allready owning the copyright?

Wow! I was kinda hoping you would say the complete opposite & save me hella time imputting all my music that I only have on vinyl!

I have to say that your analergy of going to the store kinda sucked but I got the point! & I'm also kinda shocked that people dont see the uploader as anyworse than the downloader! I mean with no uploader there can be no downloader!
DJJOHNNYM 3:45 PM - 15 May, 2007
LMAO. I'm sorry that you think my "alalergy" sucked, but you have to think of mp3's as vinyl to really understand what you can and CAN'T do.

If you had a piece of vinyl, and wanted to "Share" it with someone, you actually had to "GIVE" it to them. That was it. You didn't have a record press to make them a "copy", you either sold it to them, or GAVE it to them...regardless, you didn't have a copy anymore.

Having a copy of it on "Cassette" didn't really phase the record companies any because each time you played the "Cassette" the quality would fade, and would eventually be useless. If you made a DUB, then you're degrading the sound quality to a certain degree, and then A DUB OF A DUB...

The digital era has shut the issue down of degrading the sound quality, so that's an issue. You can have an exact copy with no loss of sound quality.
Nicky Blunt 3:48 PM - 15 May, 2007
true!

Also I was not getting at YOU with saying that analergy sucked!

JMHO.

But yeah you have a point! & I agreed with it!

I just dont like having to agree with it as it will make my life harder! lol
DJJOHNNYM 3:54 PM - 15 May, 2007
Now, the CHANCES of you being targeted for illegal downloaded are dependent on how much you download and host...but at least you are aware of the laws.

As for making your life "Harder"...think about all the DJ's in the past BEFORE mp3's, and what they had to do to get music...

It's a tradeoff.
Nicky Blunt 4:05 PM - 15 May, 2007
You say djs of the past! I have had serato for about a month and been djing for 15 years! So I know all about that dude!!!!

Only being able to get one copy rather than two or only the radio edit released in your country!

Or that specific song being withdrawn due to "political issues" etc.

V Frustrating!

I just wish more labels started doing digital stores for their shit y'know?
Monk-A 4:10 PM - 15 May, 2007
Nicky you actually need a licence to copy your own vinyl in our wonderful country.

Do a search for Digital DJ licence on the net and gaze in horror at the beuracracy of the Britsih Government. :(
Nicky Blunt 4:11 PM - 15 May, 2007
oooohhhhh shit? Really?

Could tony blair be anymore of a cockmuncher?
Monk-A 4:21 PM - 15 May, 2007
Yes

but not much
DJJOHNNYM 4:32 PM - 15 May, 2007
Hoe shit, I was representing the US of A. I can't speak for y'all across the pond.
Nicky Blunt 6:17 PM - 15 May, 2007
Quote:
Yes

but not much

my sentiments entirley!
But do you really think gordan brown will be any better?

IMHO All politicians are alike!
Dash Kinetix 6:42 PM - 15 May, 2007
piracy bottom line is wrong, yet almost everybody has done it one way or another. the real issue that needs to be addressed is that the only REAL way to slow it down (stopping it is impossible) is to put time and effort into going after the suppliers of the media (music/movies/software) and not the end users. It's like the war on drugs, you can bust drug users as much as you want but as long as the dealers are out and can sell drugs the problem will never go away.

oh and fuck the RIAA
dj_soo 6:43 PM - 15 May, 2007
heheheh...

"analergy"
De LA 6:56 PM - 15 May, 2007
Quote:

I wish...but look at this way. If you own a BMW...does it give you the right to steal another one of equal or lesser value because you already Own one?

Its not the best analogy or "analergy" but its the same concept...just bigger $$$ amounts.
DJJOHNNYM 6:58 PM - 15 May, 2007
Quote:
Its not the best analogy or "analergy" but its the same concept...just bigger $$$ amounts.

We are BOTH going to hell for putting that shit in quotes...lol.
De LA 7:00 PM - 15 May, 2007
Oh and the RIAA are punks. Ive actually been questioned (harassed) by them before. A club I was working at didnt have the BMI/ASCAP license and the boys in their $5 suits walked in and asked if they could take a look at my music collection and ask me some questions.

I told them they sure...you bring a warrant and cuffs and a reason of probably cause and Ill hand it over. After they explained that the venue had not renewed their contracts with BMI/ASCAP I asked what that had to do with how I get my music...they had no answer. So I told them to call Promo only, Digiwaxx, DJCity.com, and a few other remix services to verify my memberships...they eventually just encouraged me to talk to the owner otherwise fines would result.
DJJOHNNYM 7:02 PM - 15 May, 2007
Quote:
they eventually just encouraged me to talk to the owner otherwise fines would result.

Is this an overseas thing or something? What do YOU have to talk to the owner for? What part of the game is that?
Dash Kinetix 7:21 PM - 15 May, 2007
that's the problem, they are just trying to strong arm scared people into stopping or paying "fines" when they aren't even going about the process correctly. if your piracy was really effecting people the fbi would come, not the RIAA rent a cops
De LA 7:38 PM - 15 May, 2007
nope its an American thing. unfortunately. The owner wasn't there and the manager was in back getting high LOL. So I played their game and made up some BS. My music is all legit so I wasn't worried. It was principle. And its not my responsibility to talk to the owner, even though I did and said that its dumb to not pay a $400 a year fee to legally have djs.
DJJOHNNYM 7:42 PM - 15 May, 2007
Quote:
nope its an American thing. unfortunately. The owner wasn't there and the manager was in back getting high LOL. So I played their game and made up some BS. My music is all legit so I wasn't worried. It was principle. And its not my responsibility to talk to the owner, even though I did and said that its dumb to not pay a $400 a year fee to legally have djs.

This shit happened in the UNITED STATES? I thought this was an overseas thing.
De LA 8:07 PM - 15 May, 2007
Yup. RIAA is based in the US
Psyko Logical 9:29 PM - 15 May, 2007
Quote:
I told them they sure...you bring a warrant and cuffs and a reason of probably cause and Ill hand it over.

Good job man. Don't take any guff from those swine.
DJJOHNNYM 10:13 PM - 15 May, 2007
Quote:

And they are rolling up into clubs asking to see your laptop? MAN LISTEN...

I
wish
a
mother
f*cker
would.
MusicMeister 10:21 PM - 15 May, 2007
RIAA - Recording Industry Association of America

Supposedly out to protect the rights of the artists. In reality they're out to protect the pocketbooks of the copyright owners - mainly the large labels - and to act as an influent jaggernaut in DC.

ASCAP - American Society of Composers And Publishers
Originally created to protect the rights of song writers by collecting royalties on sheet music. Later moved on to licensing of performances for public performance.

BMI - Broadcast Music, Inc.
Originally created as an organization for broadcasters (radio). Later, after a royalty war with ASCAP took on much the same role and was primarily interested in the royalties from Radio Play.

SESAC
Another performance based royalty company based in the US and was created in 1930.

CCLI - Christian Copyright Licensing International
Created for licensing the music typically heard in churches during worship services.

Technically, a venue that plays music needs licenses from ALL 3 of the agencies - ASCAP, BMI, and SESAC. If they hold church there on Sunday they'll need CCLI licensing as well.

And no, it's not really that expensive. And unlike a lot of other things you're not going to fight these guys and win (as a venue). They also have NOTHING to do with the legality of your music collection. To be honest, they wanted your collection so they could use it as evidence against the club owner for the music played without licensing. Likely because they didn't know what you were playing.

And yes, if they asked to see my music I'd tell them they need a warrant, and a BADGE. Last I checked being an investigator for a licensing agency doesn't qualify them to collect or process evidence in a criminal or civil case. And if pressed, I'd simply tell them they can check my records. I have boxes upon boxes of CD's at home, an eMusic subscription for more than 7 years, belong to 3 record pools, and have receipts for download of more than $4000 in music online - all bought and paid for. They can KISS MY ASS....
DJ Starrbuck 8:35 AM - 25 July, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

And they are rolling up into clubs asking to see your laptop? MAN LISTEN...

I
wish
a
mother
f*cker
would.

Word brother, instant beat down!