DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Soundcloud + Copyright

djticonyc 6:39 AM - 6 January, 2011
Has anyone had problems with soundcloud and copyright issues recently ? I have uploaded a lot of mixes on soundcloud and never had a problem but in the past two weeks i have had two mixes taken down for copy right issues. Isn't soundcloud mainly for djs ?
DJ NoNseNse 6:56 AM - 6 January, 2011
Yea they sent me an email about some songs i posted and another dj I know got a mix removed. Mixcrate ftw
djticonyc 8:14 AM - 6 January, 2011
Shit suxs. I pay for premium and i gotta deal with this.
SeriousCyrus 10:38 AM - 6 January, 2011
Got one of my mixes removed too, you can dispute them, but I'm unsure of the legal position.

Still, complaint was only about 1 single track in 8 hours of mixes, so I simply won't use that particular group again. Counter productive if you ask me.
BattleFunk 10:52 AM - 6 January, 2011
I got my last mix stopped for having cee Lo green fuck you on it.

Started using mixcloud instead
djticonyc 10:56 AM - 6 January, 2011
but you can't download on mixcloud right
dj_ys 10:56 AM - 6 January, 2011
Yeah just use mixcloud, soundcloud really isn't for DJ mixes like that from what I understand.
BattleFunk 11:19 AM - 6 January, 2011
You can't download from mixcloud yeah, just use your website for the downloads?

Or are you using soundcloud for that?
dj_ys 11:30 AM - 6 January, 2011
Yeah, just streaming on mixcloud. If you have a website, just self host it. Can offer streaming and downloads that way.
J0be 11:39 AM - 6 January, 2011
Souncloud are a fucking joke.
J0be 11:57 AM - 6 January, 2011
It's on the Soundcloud blog, I left my comment at the bottom. I suggest you all do the same

blog.soundcloud.com
dj_soo 1:21 PM - 6 January, 2011
this is going to happen anywhere when a site gets popular.

the legalities of posting mixes on the internet for free download is simple: it isn't legal.

it's going to happen and it's usually more a crapshoot than anything (although more popular, current tracks are going to set off alarms easier), but get used to it.

I've had blog posts taken down due to a single track - the labels probably have people full time looking for shit like this to cease and desist and most hosting sites and community sites will comply.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:29 PM - 6 January, 2011
Looks like beezo is going to be getting more busniess
BERTO 6:48 PM - 6 January, 2011
just like youtube youtube sucks now cant even listen to some song bc its blocked or some shit i dont even bother
djticonyc 7:07 PM - 6 January, 2011
I believe it only detects the first song. I removed the first song from my mix and i was able to upload the mix to soundcloud
Audio1 7:13 PM - 6 January, 2011
I recently got all my moombahton edits removed from Soundcloud. Since I made clever refixes of popular artists, I got hit with a dozen or so of those notices.

Also, A lot of my edits are getting reported by DJ's on Mediafire. SNITCHES!!
Audio1 7:20 PM - 6 January, 2011
I received over a dozen of these in 2010:

from copyrights@soundcloud.com
to AUDIO1
date Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 2:48 AM
subject Copyright infringement -- Ticket #18708
mailed-by soundcloud.com

hide details 11/5/10

Hi there, Audio1,

this is David from SoundCloud writing. I'm getting in touch because we've received a take-down notice from Universal Records:

RIHANNA x MOOMBAHTON

If you don't own the rights to this/these track(s) or don't have the permission from the artist, label or rights holder to upload, publish and distribute the material, this content cannot be hosted on SoundCloud.

In the meantime, the material has been hidden. Please get back to us within 2 working days if you have the correct permissions before we delete the material permanently. If you feel like this report has been sent by mistake, it would be great if you could provide us with any documents in your possession that show these permissions. Feel free to upload your own music anytime and please don't hesitate to contact me for further information.

For reference:
Our terms of use: soundcloud.com
Our Community Guidelines: soundcloud.com

Best regards,

David
SoundCloud
Audio1 7:21 PM - 6 January, 2011
Honestly I don't own copyrights for these refixes but if you go on there on any given day, 90% of the stuff posted on Soundcloud is illegal. I guess I was a good target. Glad I didnt pay for their service.
Audio1 7:28 PM - 6 January, 2011
Example: soundcloud.com

This blog has a soundcloud where they host files. Legal? Probably not, but they aren't getting copyright notices.

Strange how it all works.
thewevel 7:37 PM - 6 January, 2011
also their policy of not letting you upload songs that have certain artists in the title is annoying as fuck. when they first implemented it they didn't give you an error message, the file just wouldn't upload. it was pretty frustrating to say the least...now at least, i think there's an error message.
Audio1 7:44 PM - 6 January, 2011
Quote:
also their policy of not letting you upload songs that have certain artists in the title is annoying as fuck. when they first implemented it they didn't give you an error message, the file just wouldn't upload. it was pretty frustrating to say the least...now at least, i think there's an error message.
Indeed. If you are looking to expose music, Start looking for other avenues or in my case, Don't refix popular music and make it available for free to DJ's... The end of the edits era is upon us.
djticonyc 7:44 PM - 6 January, 2011
I never had a issue with mediafire. It suxs when something good becomes really popular. It becomes shit
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:46 PM - 6 January, 2011
Quote:

In the meantime, the material has been hidden. Please get back to us within 2 working days if you have the correct permissions before we delete the material permanently

LOL this sounds to me like "No i put your toy over the fridge you can have it back once you finish your homework"
Audio1 7:50 PM - 6 January, 2011
Quote:
I never had a issue with mediafire. It suxs when something good becomes really popular. It becomes shit
Mediafire has been taking hella stuff down lately. I get a mediafire notice for one of my edits almost daily now, hence I stopped releasing edits... Its one thing when labels notice, Another when DJ's snitch to mediafire and labels, when we are only creating said edits to help DJ's out.

Here is the latest email from Mediafire:

from accountservices@mediafire.com <accountservices@mediafire.com>
to AUDIO1
date Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 9:19 AM
subject Your file Kid Cudi feat. Kanye West-Erase Me(Audio1 Edit)(Intro-Dirty).mp3 has b
mailed-by email.mediafire.com
signed-by mediafire.com

The file Kid Cudi feat. Kanye West-Erase Me(Audio1 Edit)(Intro-Dirty).mp3 identified by the key (ywvyhl1wberbdh7) has been deleted by Universal Music Group on January 05, 2011 at 11:18am.

If you feel this was in error after reviewing the information in this email, please contact the party who requested the removal or us via Support with the details from this email.

Information about the party that deleted the file

Company Name: Universal Music Group
Contact Address: 825 8th avenue New York NY 10019
Contact Name: David Benjamin
Contact Phone: 212-333-1433
Contact Email: David.Benjamin@umusic.com

The specific reason for the removal was:
================================================================

unauthorized reproduction and distribution of copyrighted sound recordings owned or exclusively distributed by Universal Music Group

================================================================
djradrich 7:56 PM - 6 January, 2011
I had my remixes taken off soundcloud even though they weren't downloadable. It was retarded, some were flagged while others were just left alone. I've even logged in to remove one only to find more put on "private" without an email warning. I just removed them all at that point. It wasn't like I was giving them away, it was just for listening.
Audio1 8:02 PM - 6 January, 2011
Quote:
I had my remixes taken off soundcloud even though they weren't downloadable. It was retarded, some were flagged while others were just left alone. I've even logged in to remove one only to find more put on "private" without an email warning. I just removed them all at that point. It wasn't like I was giving them away, it was just for listening.
Exactly.

What is the point of letting folks stream tracks if Soundcloud is going to hide them from the public. Still a bit baffled. I ultimately wished the labels would recognize that DJ's and Producers keep them paid... Some remixers even make better productions than the original producers themselves.
djticonyc 8:06 PM - 6 January, 2011
Well Audio1 i haven't uploaded stuff on mediafire since i got soundcloud so maybe they have become like that as well. It just disappointing to see soundcloud doing this since majority of the people on there are djs/producers who put out their mixes/remixes/edits for others to hear and share. I heard about soundcloud because of other peoples mixes. If soundcloud is now going to start taking them all down because of copy right issues, I don't see soundcloud staying popular for long.
Audio1 8:07 PM - 6 January, 2011
Quote:
If soundcloud is now going to start taking them all down because of copy right issues, I don't see soundcloud staying popular for long.
'Remember when Soundcloud was underground?" LOL
djsatony 8:25 PM - 6 January, 2011
Does anyone know any sites where I can upload mixes without having to worry about getting it taken down like youtube? Almost every single mixes I uploaded got taken down on youtube and it's really annoying.
Audio1 8:26 PM - 6 January, 2011
you have to walk a very fine line it seems... or at least not make things too obvious.
sixxx 8:27 PM - 6 January, 2011
Safdsre is untouchable. no misquote
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:28 PM - 6 January, 2011
Quote:
Safdsre is untouchable. no misquote

sixxx you know as well as i do the SL website will not alow you to misquote any post with Safdsre in it
dj_soo 9:47 PM - 6 January, 2011
soundcloud is now in the big leagues and is now on the label's radar. straight up. I have no doubt that the majors have contacted soundcloud prompting this new rash of takedowns and automated services. Hell, I wouldn't doubt the majors just have bots scouring the web to find shit to take down.

Might have to go back to the days of naming shit cryptically or not crediting the artist you're remixing.

then again, some people could actually start making *gasp* original content...
Audio1 9:50 PM - 6 January, 2011
Quote:
then again, some people could actually start making *gasp* original content...
hahahah ZOIKS!
Serato, Support
ChrisD 11:14 PM - 6 January, 2011
You guys should check out www.mixcloud.com for hosting your mixes.

These guys have done the hard work with labels and actually pay royalties to them based on the tracks in your mixes.

It's free to upload and to listen.
gotchuckz 11:39 PM - 6 January, 2011
forget about soundcloud or mixcloud.

it's all about mixcrate. check it out.

www.mixcrate.com
Audio1 11:47 PM - 6 January, 2011
Use every avenue to promote your mixes....
GYNXxx 12:14 AM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:
Yeah just use mixcloud, soundcloud really isn't for DJ mixes like that from what I understand.

I have over 10 000 listens from last year on my dj mixes.... helps me!
dj_ys 1:32 AM - 7 January, 2011
Why not just host it on your own website?
Audio1 2:52 AM - 7 January, 2011
Quote:
A lot of people cant afford bandwidth overages.

maybe you didn't catch what I wrote earlier.

Quote:
It doesn't matter as long as it is accesible to everyone, one way or another. Soundcloud (for the time being), Mixcloud, Mixcrate, Beezo, Freakonomix, Podomatic, Self Hosting, Mediafire, whatever. Just make it available.
Laz219 2:58 AM - 7 January, 2011
I got hit with a copyright on soundcloud for a transition. Not a big deal, just seems funny since I have very limited followers and basically just use it to show some people what I've been working on.
Sureshot (PA) 3:12 AM - 7 January, 2011
do you guys have tracklists that show what songs are in the mixes or do the somehow detect which songs are in them? i don't understand how you get busted for this.
DJ Remy USA 3:21 AM - 7 January, 2011
yep it is tru they took my old Jason derulo rmx down. Fuk em I guess I keep my edits to myself now. If they dont want DJs remixing then dont release acapellas and dont release instrumentals. Just give us the damn radio edit and i will prolly sell my DJ equipment they only thing that keeps it fresh is the fact that I can edit songs and add my own twist
dj_ys 3:36 AM - 7 January, 2011
Damn why are yall so agitated lol? It's illegal. Why trip about it? Soundlcould isn't the end all be all of file distribution. Put them somewhere else and keep it moving.
DJ Remy USA 5:27 PM - 7 January, 2011
Im not agitated at all....the line between what is legal and what is not legal is fuzzy. If there wasnt a gray area then alot of us would have been in jail along time ago for copyright infringement
J0be 5:36 PM - 7 January, 2011
The fact is, I make a mix and put it online, then it's taken down for copyright infringement.

That is bullshit. I don't care about a grey area, they need to sort it out.
milk6040 5:55 PM - 7 January, 2011
It seems like every time this happens, It's Universal Music Group making the request and Soundcloud obeys. I could be wrong but I'm picturing an office full of people at Universal sitting around listening to Soundcloud mixes all day with a spreadsheet of all their labels and artists, tracking mixes and flagging them. Then Universal sends the notice to Soundcloud and they shit their pants. Nothing against Soundcloud, YouTube does the same thing but, it always seems to be Universal Music Group pulling the strings. Hmm... Hit up this thread if your mixes were flagged by anyone other than Universal. I don't think we should be willing to change the dynamics of DJ's breaking new music just because UMG says so. Without getting into a discussion about legal/semi/non-legal downloading, I feel like they're barking up the wrong tree. DJ's have been helping the music industry in many ways for like 70 years. Why should we stop just because Universal's business model went to shit in the last 8 years? Let's get to the bottom of this.
milk6040 6:04 PM - 7 January, 2011
And if you still think UMG is not pure evil, read about what they did when the Zune came out. Or how they censor lesser known artists on their own labels but have no problem putting out 50 cent and Marilyn Manson albums because those artists can still sell hundreds of thousands of CDs. The days of artist selling a million units are almost over and hopefully, Universal will be too.
Audio1 7:49 PM - 7 January, 2011
UMG just removed a grip of tracks off soundcloud in the past 2 days. with over 35% of the market share of music in the US, They still love to hassle the people who help promote their artists the most.
RAYSH 9:18 PM - 7 January, 2011
i had a hip hop mix taken down with no notice whatsoever, it just dissapeard. I had a tracklisting. maybe If there was no tracklisting it would be undetectable? can anyone confirm this?
Audio1 9:53 PM - 7 January, 2011
the copyright detection scan/listens to files apparently.
djticonyc 10:40 PM - 7 January, 2011
It has nothing to do with track listing. I tried re uploading the mix with a different name and no track listing and it still got it. I had to remove the first song for it to be able to upload.
DJ Remy USA 10:51 PM - 7 January, 2011
so it knows what songs are on the mix while its uploading?
djticonyc 10:53 PM - 7 January, 2011
yea. maybe the old ones it tracked it down by track listing but when i upload now, it removes it right away
RAYSH 4:22 AM - 9 January, 2011
Quote:
so it knows what songs are on the mix while its uploading?

sounds like theyve got the same technology as "shazam" where it can detect songs. dang

just like kazaa and napster, once they get popular, thats when the lables start cracking down on them

i guess we're all gonna have to move to mixcloud? is that the best alternative?
dj_soo 3:40 AM - 10 January, 2011
Quote:
The fact is, I make a mix and put it online, then it's taken down for copyright infringement.

That is bullshit. I don't care about a grey area, they need to sort it out.

it is sorted - uploading mixes on the internet is illegal. soundcloud is now looking for copyright infringement so go to another hosting site.

you can't really be that indignant when you should know full well what you're doing is technically illegal.

Quote:
Im not agitated at all....the line between what is legal and what is not legal is fuzzy. If there wasnt a gray area then alot of us would have been in jail along time ago for copyright infringement

it's not grey - it's straightforward - it's just that most of us are small potatoes and aren't worth going after. chances are they hit soundcloud with some "deal with all the illegal mixes, mashups, etc. or we'll sue you" card and this is soundcloud's response.
DJ Remy USA 3:47 AM - 10 January, 2011
thats crazy how they invent all this technology for DJs/producer or whatever to do all this remixing and editing but they dont want us to share it with the world. The music industry are blood suckers anyways....I will keep all my edits to myself.

This brings up another question. How come I can get my mixtape hosted by coast 2 coast of any other big mixtape company and its no problem but when I try to host myself on soundcloud its a issue.

There is a gray area cause if there wasnt alot of companies would have been sued yrs ago.

Im about to go back to pushing mixtapes out the back of my car like i did before I started DJing.
dj_soo 5:57 AM - 10 January, 2011
well - i don't think it's the company's that are inventing the music programs and sharing sites that don't want you to share - it's the labels doing the same old thing they've been doing since the days of cassette tapes.
djticonyc 12:11 AM - 11 January, 2011
I tried uploading my freestyle mix and it didn't let me because of a song but the label is unknown >_<
DouggyFresh 12:41 AM - 11 January, 2011
There's not a group of people jamming to your mixes at UMG. There's a room full of servers scanning the internet for signatures (hashes) that match existing copyright, then it gets flagged, someone hand checks it, and sends you a notice. I read something about that a while back when Limewire & Napster were really big, audio fingerprinting technology improved greatly.
DJ Remy USA 3:39 AM - 11 January, 2011
I just posted a mix Im curious if it will get flagged since it majority me blending acapellas over other beats and not the actual original song. I guess I see
SeriousCyrus 8:40 AM - 11 January, 2011
My new mix just got blocked on upload, got a mixcloud account now. Wonder if soundcloud will give me my money back. Also noticed they removed the option to call your upload a "DJ set", they're not interested in us anymore.

I reckon it only checks the first song, of the 2 mixes it's blocked, it only mentions the first track, I've used a different track from a blocked artist in another mix, and it wasn't flagged.
djticonyc 9:09 AM - 11 January, 2011
Yea it only detects the first song. prob the first 30 seconds or so. I uploaded my freestyle mix and it was taken down. Deleted the first song re uploaded and it was taken down again for the other first song. I put both songs back & put a crooklyn clan freestyle break for about 1 minute and it went through. So there you have it :) put some bs for the first minute and your mix will upload
djticonyc 9:28 AM - 11 January, 2011
it's not only the small djs. the big djs getting the same treatment, afrojack just posted this on twitter.

djafrojack

whoop soundcloud can suck my chicken! can't upload remixs and stuff? f that
canicypher 7:17 AM - 13 January, 2011
Well someone check out my new mix before its deleted! thanks!

soundcloud.com

(Dead Mau5 - Sophie Needs A Ladder
Enrique Iglesias - I Need A Ladder to Love You (Anthem Kingz remix)
Clinton Sparks ft. Mike Posner &amp; Big Sean - Ambiguous (Dj Enferno remix)
Dev - Booty Bounce (DJ Godfather remix)
Far East Movement ft. Cataracs &amp; Dev - Like a G6
Jesse McCartney - Shake (JumpSmokers remix)
Chris Brown - Yeah 3x
David Guetta ft. Kid Cudi - Memories (remix)
Daft Punk - One More Time (Dj Deville remix)
Swedish House Mafia - One (Dj Deville remix)
Wynter Gordon and Trey Songz - Dirty Talk/Bottoms Up (Benja Styles remix)
Kaci Battaglia ft. Ludacris - Body Shots (Wawa remix)
Waka Flaka Flame Ft Roscoe &amp; Wale - NeOn Hands (Remix)
Taio Cruz ft. Travie McCoy - Higher
Dj Khaled- Hands Go Up (Dj Beatbreaker remix)
I Wish I Was a DJ - Dj Godfather ft. Pittsburgh Slim)
freshone 10:36 AM - 14 April, 2011
A little late on this but I personally use a service called Simply Gigantic to host my music and much more. A bit under the radar but still gaining traction. Take a look at my profile www.simplygigantic.com (simplygigantic.com/freshone).

You can check them out at www.simplygigantic.com
KMadison 7:19 PM - 14 April, 2011
Quote:
A little late on this but I personally use a service called Simply Gigantic to host my music and much more. A bit under the radar but still gaining traction. Take a look at my profile www.simplygigantic.com (simplygigantic.com/freshone).

You can check them out at www.simplygigantic.com

Website is pretty cool I've been looking for someplace new to host my mixes instead of podomatic.com
Dj Shamann 7:25 PM - 14 April, 2011
Quote:
thats crazy how they invent all this technology for DJs/producer or whatever to do all this remixing and editing but they dont want us to share it with the world.

The thing is, that technology wasn't made for us to do bootleg remixes and edits, it was invented for original music making/recording, we just found a way to make it work for us.
DJ TMAQ 6:42 AM - 24 May, 2011
[qote]

it's not grey - it's straightforward - it's just that most of us are small potatoes and aren't worth going after. chances are they hit soundcloud with some "deal with all the illegal mixes, mashups, etc. or we'll sue you" card and this is soundcloud's response.

DJ Soo is absolutely right. SoundCloud is charging for uploading services, so now that they are making money from sharing music, they are taking on liability "legal risk" of being sued by the major players. They are in business to make a profit, not to "represent" and scene. So when WMG comes laying claim on their property, it's either cut us off or lose their business.

WHAT WE "DJ's" NEED:
What we need to do is create a website where we can share our mix's with the online world without taking away any financial opportunities of the labels. Downloading might be an issue, free listening may be the only option. Kinda like an online radio show. A website by DJ's and for DJ's.

RESPONSE TO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT:
Fair Use Act - This video or audio is fair use under U.S. copyright law because it is (1) noncommercial, (2) transformative in nature, and (3) does not compete with the original work and could have no negative effect on its market. (4) all artist credits are clearly given in the description of this section.
Daktyl 7:16 AM - 24 May, 2011
Quote:
Fair Use Act - This video or audio is fair use under U.S. copyright law because it is (1) noncommercial, (2) transformative in nature, and (3) does not compete with the original work and could have no negative effect on its market. (4) all artist credits are clearly given in the description of this section.

Can you explain #2 a little more. I would think a remix would definitely be considered a "derivative work" rather than transformative. How does including a song in a mix qualify as transformative? I know a little bit about copyright law and I always thought dj mixes were considered derivative works as they usually "cite the most important parts of the work" Not arguing or criticising, genuine question here...
DJ Sniffles 2:42 PM - 24 May, 2011
Quote:
Has anyone had problems with soundcloud and copyright issues recently ? I have uploaded a lot of mixes on soundcloud and never had a problem but in the past two weeks i have had two mixes taken down for copy right issues. Isn't soundcloud mainly for djs ?

It's actually more for musicians/producers/song writers.
Tunecrew 3:12 PM - 24 May, 2011
Quote:
[qote]

DJ Soo is absolutely right. SoundCloud is charging for uploading services, so now that they are making money from sharing music, they are taking on liability "legal risk" of being sued by the major players. They are in business to make a profit, not to "represent" and scene. So when WMG comes laying claim on their property, it's either cut us off or lose their business.

WHAT WE "DJ's" NEED:
What we need to do is create a website where we can share our mix's with the online world without taking away any financial opportunities of the labels. Downloading might be an issue, free listening may be the only option. Kinda like an online radio show. A website by DJ's and for DJ's.

Even listening, i.e. streaming mixes, requires payment to one or more performance rights organizations depending on the territory - it is a public performance.

And remixes do not qualify under Fair Use by any remote stretch, sorry.
ancientyouth 3:29 PM - 24 May, 2011
All my friends who turned me onto soundcloud are producers, i thought it was aimed at newer electronic/dubstep producers trying to make a name for themselves.....
Djtrek19 8:09 PM - 5 December, 2012
As of today i have deleted my account with Soundcrap. Why waist 10 Bills a month when you cant even download creative mixes?? Looking for something solid.
MelonHead 8:49 PM - 5 December, 2012
someone recommended mixcloud but may be inaccessible to certain countries. i currently use house-mixes.com & no problems so far.
dj_soo 9:26 PM - 5 December, 2012
Soundcloud is for producers. There are easy ways to get around the copyright detection for mixes tho.

It's been very good to me in the last couple of years...
DJ Remy USA 10:46 PM - 5 December, 2012
Quote:
Soundcloud is for producers. There are easy ways to get around the copyright detection for mixes tho.

It's been very good to me in the last couple of years...

agreed I use soundcloud and havent had any issues but then again I only use it for mixes. Never had mix booted yet
DJ Remy USA 10:49 PM - 5 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
thats crazy how they invent all this technology for DJs/producer or whatever to do all this remixing and editing but they dont want us to share it with the world.
The thing is, that technology wasn't made for us to do bootleg remixes and edits, it was invented for original music making/recording, we just found a way to make it work for us.

can you actually prove the technology was soley made to produce original music? Think about all they push now a days is the ability to do what you want on the fly and how easy it is to edit or add to something in DAW and DVS. It seems to me the focus is shifting more towards remixing and editing with a dash of original production. Besides almost everything is remix or sampled to create something new
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:14 AM - 6 December, 2012
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

can you actually prove the technology was soley made to produce original music? Think about all they push now a days is the ability to do what you want on the fly and how easy it is to edit or add to something in DAW and DVS. It seems to me the focus is shifting more towards remixing and editing with a dash of original production. Besides almost everything is remix or sampled to create something new

im pretty sure legally it needs to be for original music since when it comes down to the letter of the law remixs and bootlegs are shady territory at best
Nova360 7:40 AM - 16 March, 2013
What I don't understand is that I have paid for these tracks legally, and now it is Illegal for me to share these tracks in a mix, Im not hosting the stand alone track on a torrent! I could do that, but I'm not, all I want to do is share some music with my friends so maybe they will buy some music on their own, who knows... Arrest Van Gogh because Di Vinci used charcoal before him.. It seems you can't express yourself without an agent these days.. :(
Laz219 12:48 PM - 16 March, 2013
Quote:
What I don't understand is that I have paid for these tracks legally, and now it is Illegal for me to share these tracks in a mix, Im not hosting the stand alone track on a torrent! I could do that, but I'm not, all I want to do is share some music with my friends so maybe they will buy some music on their own, who knows... Arrest Van Gogh because Di Vinci used charcoal before him.. It seems you can't express yourself without an agent these days.. :(

Well, you're still sharing somebody else's intellectual property. So it's not any different whether or not it is part of a mix. The result is they are hosting music that has strict copyright on it not to be distributed without permission.
They have to cover themselves.
Dj Rehab 12:52 PM - 16 March, 2013
Put a nice long Drop or Intro on your remixes and mixtapes and you will never be denied on Soundcloud. I have 101 or so tracks/mixtapes on there.
RayKayne 5:45 PM - 16 April, 2013
Quote:
Put a nice long Drop or Intro on your remixes and mixtapes and you will never be denied on Soundcloud. I have 101 or so tracks/mixtapes on there.

I've tried that cheat. did not work for me :-(
BERTO 6:48 PM - 16 April, 2013
Mixcloud +1 soundcloud blocks my mixes, also mixcloud n serato playlists play nice :)
DJ Remy USA 12:11 AM - 17 April, 2013
Never had a mixed blocked on sound cloud and my stuff is primarily mainstream music. I wonder what the criterior is.
BERTO 12:19 AM - 17 April, 2013
Quote:
Never had a mixed blocked on sound cloud and my stuff is primarily mainstream music. I wonder what the criterior is.

Specific songs on specific labels
djvtyme85 5:37 AM - 17 April, 2013
If you use a long intro drop your usually good. Plus if you hot mix I stead of doing long blends, that helped me. I use it bc it's popular & iPhone friendly. But now that mix loud has a app ill be using it more often. Personally I hate drops. Never liked when that became apart of the game and most listeners are annoyed by it.
Dj JesC 12:42 AM - 21 April, 2013
Air horn the intro.
BERTO 2:01 AM - 21 April, 2013
Quote:
Air horn the intro.

Haha like the @@@ levels remix haha
Dj JesC 11:35 PM - 23 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Air horn the intro.

Haha like the @@@ levels remix haha

yup
BIGG BEAR 3:08 AM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
If you use a long intro drop your usually good. Plus if you hot mix I stead of doing long blends, that helped me. I use it bc it's popular & iPhone friendly. But now that mix loud has a app ill be using it more often. Personally I hate drops. Never liked when that became apart of the game and most listeners are annoyed by it.

In your opinion please can you describe hot mix(ing)
Its an american term I'm english and I think I know what you mean but just double checking to hear how you describe it. thanks
DJ Remy USA 11:07 AM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

In your opinion please can you describe hot mix(ing)
Its an american term I'm english and I think I know what you mean but just double checking to hear how you describe it. thanks

Im sure he means mixing quickly between tunes
Papa Midnight 1:25 PM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I'm guessing this is what it is. I had the audacity to use a tiesto song at one point and it threw out my entire mix. I switched to Mixcloud and never looked back.
djsmuve415 5:27 PM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:

Quote:
I switched to Mixcloud and never looked back.

Yeah I've had mainstream mixes and straight tech-house & house mixes on there - & NEVER had one blocked,,,, until recently when I tried to upload a house one and it did immediately. I was like "WTF?" then I came to the conclusion that one of the house tracks has a sample of Wu-Tangs C.R.E.A.M. on it & that caused the instant ban. Happens.
I use Mixcloud also - but I like that with Soundcloud it has the option to DL the file as well as stream. Also a more popular app with a wider following.
BERTO 5:49 PM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
I switched to Mixcloud and never looked back.

Yeah I've had mainstream mixes and straight tech-house & house mixes on there - & NEVER had one blocked,,,, until recently when I tried to upload a house one and it did immediately. I was like "WTF?" then I came to the conclusion that one of the house tracks has a sample of Wu-Tangs C.R.E.A.M. on it & that caused the instant ban. Happens.
I use Mixcloud also - but I like that with Soundcloud it has the option to DL the file as well as stream. Also a more popular app with a wider following.

also mixcloud links are flash so if u dont have app ios users cant listen on browser...
DJ Remy USA 8:48 PM - 24 April, 2013
dang all my mainstream mixes are still up there and not blocked. It has to be something triggering it.

I normally mix after one verse and chorus for mixtapes and I always use blends and remixes so I barely play the original track all the way through so maybe thats why I have been lucky
SeriousCyrus 2:30 PM - 8 May, 2013
That's weird, one of my mixes just got taken down after 3 years on the site, got a mail from soundcloud saying "We've been notified that one of your uploads, "Mix 6"
may contain copyright content and we've disabled it." Maybe someone reported it.

One of my more popular ones, had a couple of slightly more mainstream tracks on there, i wondered at the time if it would upload.
Laz219 11:50 PM - 8 May, 2013
I got one of those yesterday, from a track nearly 4 years old. They must have changed the way their detection engine trawls the site.
Dj JesC 6:37 PM - 9 May, 2013
Quote:
I got one of those yesterday, from a track nearly 4 years old. They must have changed the way their detection engine trawls the site.

got one too, it would be nice if they gave us the option to delete those tracks or mixers off of SC.
dj_soo 8:54 PM - 9 May, 2013
With all the bootlegs and mashups I have on my soundcloud, I'm still surprised I've only experienced one takedown...
Laz219 10:57 PM - 9 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

got one too, it would be nice if they gave us the option to delete those tracks or mixers off of SC.

That was my first thought, because I don't even care if it's on there or not, but it's still taking up my time available.
I tried submitting a track about 2 years ago that never even got uploaded because it got detected as infringing, all the sudden about 2 months ago I got an email saying "track is cleared and now on your profile"
I'd forgotten all about it.
GenErik 12:40 PM - 11 July, 2013
Something has definitely changed. UMG is doing some serious trawling through your tracks now and it's not just the first 30 seconds or so that will stop you from auto uploading. No matter what I do to my mix I get a takedown notice within 24 hours.

Will continue to experiment and report my findings.
GenErik 12:53 PM - 11 July, 2013
Before this discussion devolves into alternatives, let's be up front that there really is none. I have 103,000+ plays on SoundCloud and 200 on MixCloud. I love MixCloud for their timestamping feature and sensible attitude to copyright, but they have neither the infrastructure nor the audience that SoundCloud does.

These are the sad state of affairs we have to deal with.
Papa Midnight 7:20 PM - 11 July, 2013
Quote:
Before this discussion devolves into alternatives, let's be up front that there really is none. I have 103,000+ plays on SoundCloud and 200 on MixCloud. I love MixCloud for their timestamping feature and sensible attitude to copyright, but they have neither the infrastructure nor the audience that SoundCloud does.

Sad but true...
REDSELECTER 7:59 PM - 11 July, 2013
I'm curious if anyone has every actually seen Mixcloud usage on their PRS or PPL statement
DJ Remy USA 3:31 AM - 12 July, 2013
Ive had no issues with sound cloud excepting my mixes. My mix is all mainstream too
DJ 1-Verve 8:16 PM - 18 May, 2015
ive always had problems with youtube and just recently all of my mixes on soundcloud just got removed. the last mix i put up on youtube was over an hour long and it got removed because of a 1 min segment of a david guetta song
R-Tistic 10:14 PM - 18 May, 2015
Quote:

I keep saying this.

After I was banned last year, I used Mixcloud, Mixcrate, and Audiomack. All are good in different ways, but NONE of them had a good audience. Even all the folks who followed me on Soundcloud and saw that I was putting my new mixes on these sites fell off, and weren't listening as much. They all told me it was because of the Soundcloud app, and because they already use Soundcloud all day, so familiarity is everything.
djsmuve415 5:36 AM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
They all told me it was because of the Soundcloud app, and because they already use Soundcloud all day, so familiarity is everything.

thank you for reaffirming what I have been saying over & over on these Soundcloud themed threads. its the sad truth unfortunately.
but cue all the Mixcloud or alternative site voices who keep popping up on here. has anything knocked off FB since the Myspace days - um no. and its not going to happen anytime in the near future either. Soundcloud is FB.
DJ Remy USA 2:05 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
They all told me it was because of the Soundcloud app, and because they already use Soundcloud all day, so familiarity is everything.

thank you for reaffirming what I have been saying over & over on these Soundcloud themed threads. its the sad truth unfortunately.
but cue all the Mixcloud or alternative site voices who keep popping up on here. has anything knocked off FB since the Myspace days - um no. and its not going to happen anytime in the near future either. Soundcloud is FB.

The DJs and indie artist made soundcloud what it is tho, the majors are piggy backing off our grass roots movement with soundcloud now we had are creative platform taken from us and turned into another machine for the industry to abuse
R-Tistic 4:23 PM - 19 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The DJs and indie artist made soundcloud what it is tho, the majors are piggy backing off our grass roots movement with soundcloud now we had are creative platform taken from us and turned into another machine for the industry to abuse

I still think it's better than preventing us to put mixes up, though. And it might even lead to us getting attention...they'll probably look at the DJ's who's mixes get the most hits, and may even give them exclusive content.