Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

UNLOCK MIDI MAP CAPABILITIES OF DENON DN-HC4500

Blackie Lox 6:35 PM - 2 January, 2011
I own a Denon DN-HC4500 media controller paired with a Denon DN-X500 mixer and would like to map the crossfader to the fader in Video-SL. The only problem is that since the DN-HC4500 is natively supported by Serato, I can't use the X-control feature to MIDI map my crossfader (becuase the midi command from the crossfader is sent through the 4500).

Please add this function to your native support, or atleast unlock the mapping capabilities of the x-control crossfader like you did with the 6 unused effects buttons on the DN-HC4500.

*** I was able to custom map the crossfader up until version 2.0 was released, so right now i have to use version 1.9.2 if I want to crossfade videos in VSL.
djlayz666 7:42 PM - 6 February, 2011
Yes i would like this too. I would definitely drop $200 for the video-sl if it works with the x500
DJ RJ 8:05 PM - 12 February, 2011
Would really like this to work also!!

Let us know if possible soon.
J.J. 3:10 AM - 13 February, 2011
I'm still upset you cannot custom map the DN-HC4500 anymore since 2.0. With MIDIOX, I rerouted the input so I can customize every button and MIDI assign once again. Left the MIDI output alone so the 4500 still lights up the display and buttons.

But the DN-HC4500 conflicts with the Sixty-Eight mixer. It looks like it uses the same MIDI out. It has been doing this for a year and Serato will not help.
DJ RJ 5:14 PM - 16 February, 2011
Any chance on the X-Control Mapping on the Denon DN-X500???
Would really help
Thank you!!!
Blackie Lox 10:04 PM - 22 February, 2011
Got it to work on my Mac with MidiPipe. Pipeline looks like this:

Midi In: DN-HC4500 ("hijack" UNCHECKED)
Midi Out: MidiPipe Output 1 ("Use Note Off Velocity" UNCHECKED, "Pass Through" CHECKED)
J.J. 12:10 AM - 23 February, 2011
Nice Blackie. Make sure and use the code for JogWheel support. You can even do crazy stuff like hold down effect 1 assigned to both the Loop Roll and Shift, then rotate the PM Knob to multiply or divide the loop.

What I'm trying to figure out is the XML code for the back button. The Back Button goes from tracks to crates to expand/contract the crate. I would also like to figure out the memo button so you can delete the Cues.

Can you download and install SSL version 1.8.0 (the version before official support). Hook up your DN-HC4500 and it should generate an XML file. Then copy and paste the text here or PM me. It should start with <Platter type="Denon DN-HC4500" />

I cannot do this because I sold my SL1 for the 68 and can only go back to 2.0.1.
Blackie Lox 2:09 AM - 23 February, 2011
I
Quote:
Nice Blackie. Make sure and use the code for JogWheel support. You can even do crazy stuff like hold down effect 1 assigned to both the Loop Roll and Shift, then rotate the PM Knob to multiply or divide the loop.

Good to know! I'm gonna attempt to map the Jog Wheel to the DJ effects knobs (similar to Traktor).

PS. XML file should be in your message box J.J.
DJ RJ 3:14 AM - 23 February, 2011
Hey Blackie Lox,

Sorry for the silly question but how is the dn-x500 & the dn-hc4500 have to be connected to get the xFader to work?
I did the midipipe but i think I'm doing something wrong!

Thanks!!! really would appreciate it!
Blackie Lox 3:31 AM - 23 February, 2011
1st make sure you have X-Control set up correctly on your devices (the DN-HC4500 manual will tell you how to do so).

After you do that, fire up MidiPipe and follow the Pipeline like I posted above

Then open Serato/Video-SL. When you click the MIDI tab in the top corner of Serato, you should be able to select the Video-SL crossfader and then map it by moving the crossfader on your DN-X500.
DJ RJ 3:54 AM - 23 February, 2011
sorry Blackie,
I did everything you said and can't get to assign the xfader
any thoughts
thanks
Blackie Lox 4:13 AM - 23 February, 2011
Just to clarify...

Make sure you have the 3.5mm cable connected in the x-control slots of both your x500 and hc4500

Press and hold the Memo/Preset button on your hc4500 until the presets menu shows up. Then turn the s until you see X-Control. Press down on the parameter knob to go further in the menu, then scroll to toggle the x-control feature on/off. Press down on the parameter knob to confirm your selection. Then press Memo/Preset again to get back to normal functionality.

Open Midi Pipe. Double-Click on Midi In. Doing this should bring up a list of selectable MIDI input devices (this is where you would select (DN-HC4500). Then double-click on Midi Out and Select MidiPipe Output 1 from the dropdown list. Save your pipeline and keep MidiPipe running.

Open Serato and try Mapping your fader.

If that doesn't work, try switching your Midi Output to Serato Scratch Live (Serato would have to be running to do so).

If you still have problems, PM me your email address and I'll send you my MidiPipe configuration.

L
DJ RJ 4:21 AM - 23 February, 2011
THANK YOU, I'll try it and let you know

thanks!!!
DJ RJ 4:27 AM - 23 February, 2011
thank you it worked!

I really appreciate your time & help!

Got a friend in MIami, Florida!!!
Blackie Lox 3:56 PM - 23 February, 2011
No problem. When ever I get to Miami (at some point in life, lol) u can put me on a gig ;)
DJ RJ 6:26 PM - 23 February, 2011
For sure!!!
Thanks again!!
BERTO 1:35 AM - 24 February, 2011
Scm2000 ? Would midi pipe work with this ?
Blackie Lox 3:27 AM - 24 February, 2011
In theory it should work with any midi capable device.
prizo 2:48 PM - 18 May, 2011
Quote:
I
Quote:

Good to know! I'm gonna attempt to map the Jog Wheel to the DJ effects knobs (similar to Traktor).

PS. XML file should be in your message box J.J.

Did you guys get this to work? I am 95% sold on purchasing this controller as I feel it is the most solid and clean interface for mobile djs using serato. However, I really would like more control over effects and loops like many other controllers offer. Not very experienced with custom midi mappings, trying to learn! Thank you in advance.
Blackie Lox 1:11 AM - 19 May, 2011
I ended up using the parameters knob to control effects instead. turning the knob while holding the effects button will turn the corresponding effects knob in serato. Only annoying downfall is that it also scrolls through crates while controlling the effects.
J.J. 4:22 AM - 20 May, 2011
prizo, Before SSL 2.0, you could modify an XML to override the native buttons/knobs.

After 2.0, I had a modified setup working in Windows 7 and the free MIDI OX. Like Blackie Lox, you can convert the MIDI input, but leave the MIDI output alone to get the HID and LED button lights support in SSL.

I was able to hold down Effect 1 + Jog Wheel for the Dry/Wet. Hold down Effect 1 + turn Parameter Knob to divide/multiply the beat by 2.

I just recently got the Back Button (tracks to crates, then expand/contract crates), PM Push (crates to tracks, then load song) and delete Cue Points working correctly thanks to radikarl.

However, I sold my SL1. The new firmware on the Sixty-Eight will not allow me to work with 2.1 or older and the MIDI OX hide hack doesn't work for me anymore. If you have a Mac, you could try using MidiPipe.
Hector24 5:50 AM - 20 May, 2011
Do I have to have the Denon dn-hc4500 and the denon-dn-x500 to be able to controll the video with the fader or can I just program the denon dn-x500 fader to control the video? please help. i don't have 1000 to buy a pioneer djm800 and i'm getting tired of using both hands to fade video and audio.
prizo 4:30 PM - 21 May, 2011
Just pm u jj
djlayz666 10:07 PM - 8 June, 2011
So i want to use my x500/hc4500 to control video-sl. i tried the whole midiox & midiyoke setup and it worked great. but is there a way to leave all the controls on the hc4500 alone and just assisn the crossfader. or if someone could tell me how to map the jogwheel and get the time to go backwards?
Blackie Lox 1:08 AM - 15 June, 2011
all you would have to do is map the crossfader... the other native controls will stay the same
Dj Tony Morris 9:40 PM - 25 January, 2012
this there a windows 7 Vers of midipipe I have Denon Dn-X900 Mixer And DN-Hc4500 Controler Can not get the slide Fader to work in Video SL but i will work in Virtual DJ
And i did no setup at All
Dj Tony Morris 9:40 PM - 25 January, 2012
Sorry I mean Is this there a windows 7 Vers of midipipe I have Denon Dn-X900 Mixer And DN-Hc4500 Controler Can not get the slide Fader to work in Video SL but i will work in Virtual DJ
And i did no setup at All
Blackie Lox 7:19 PM - 27 January, 2012
not that i know of. try this page... www.midiox.com
J.J. 7:39 PM - 31 January, 2012
I'm writing a HOW TO: for this. Of course I'm not finished, but this should get anyone started on Windows. I'm also going to do a PDF (assigned buttons) and video.

www.poweronplay.com
prizo 1:59 PM - 1 February, 2012
jj, this is great! Thanks so much for continually putting time in with this controller. I ended up buying the ns6, but think I will still be investing in one of these due to the rock solid stability that I still believe is not matched by any other controller with serato on the market. (There is a reason why people are putting time in to tweak this controller after all this time.)

I am a little confused though. I see you are working on basic functions that were already integrated natively. Does this mean that when you use midipipe to add functionality you have to re-assign the basic functions?
J.J. 5:14 PM - 1 February, 2012
I have a NS6 as well. The audio ASIO crashes my laptop when I lower the latency. Every so often, the beat skips. I haven't upgraded to the latest software though. The temperature controlled Jog Wheels just want to be touched when turned on. Watchwww.youtube.com Motion controlled is the future! :) I will try to sell it with a all black Odyssey case for a low price.

No MIDI IN works anymore in Scratch Live. So you have to program all the basic buttons. MIDI OUT for HID Display (title, artist, time etc) and Button LED still works. The advantage is that you can now program the Tap/BPM button for something like CENSOR instead. Have A1 do a 4 Bar Loop instead of Loop 1. Have Exit turn on/off the loop instead of relooping. I currently have Flip + PM (Parameter) Button engage a LOOP ROLL. Then Flip + PM Rotate to move the LOOP for a customized transifier. Use the 3 Effect Button to actually control the effects. Effect 1 + PM Knob Rotate to control the Wet/Dry.

This work around will work for any SSL Native Controller such as the DN-HC1000S.
prizo 6:44 PM - 1 February, 2012
JJ i think I need to pick your brain. Can u message me your number?
dj rebel 12:39 PM - 6 April, 2012
Hey all, is it possible to map the memo function to a key (Denon DN-HC400) ) so I can sel/del ques 1-5 from the DN-MC6000's keyboard?
Dj Ray - California 8:30 AM - 2 December, 2012
hi everyone.... i know this conversation is probably closed allready... but i couldnd't make it work... i follow all the steps name it above...
im using denon 4500 and mixer 500, mac pro, serato 2.4.3
i try w virtual DJ and its working, move the crossfader n move the video fader... but i cant make it work on serato.... any idea please.....
Blackie Lox 10:30 PM - 2 December, 2012
Make sure you have MidiPipe running at all times, or else the fader wont work in Serato.

If that doesnt help, try re-mapping the fader to the serato video cross fader, you may also have to reverse the signal (by pressing the "tab" key) if the fader works backwards.
J.J. 11:24 PM - 3 December, 2012
Does anyone know how to do the DN-HC4500 A1 and A2 loop in XML?

A1 is tied to Loop 1 and A2 is tied to Loop 2. When A1 is empty, it starts the Loop In... B to Loop Out. When A1 has a saved looped, it jumps to that loop and turns the loop on.
Dj Ray - California 10:45 PM - 8 December, 2012
thanks Blackie Lox... i give up.... i spend 3 hours moving n switching... i can't make it work.... midipipe runing... everything you said.... i dont know why is not working for me...
Blackie Lox 6:00 AM - 9 December, 2012
Hey DJ Ray,

Sorry you didn't get it to work . I have posted my MidiPipe configuration file, maybe it can help you...

dl.dropbox.com

Just open that file in MidiPipe and leave it running and everything should work. You can minimize/hide MidiPipe if you want.
Blackie Lox 6:01 AM - 9 December, 2012
by the way, you gotta right-click on the link and "Save As..."
Dj Ray - California 8:20 AM - 9 December, 2012
OMG... totally working.... i dont see any difference.... but...its mapped... thanks for the patient... and if there something that i can do... let me know.... thanks again....
Blackie Lox 8:56 PM - 9 December, 2012
no problem man. glad its working
studio481 5:59 PM - 12 March, 2013
hey Blackie Lox. how do i map the loops ( LIKE 1/2 , 1/4 , 1 , 4 ETC ETC with the function keys on the dennon dn-hc4500. i really need help with this , thnxs
Blackie Lox 10:39 AM - 13 March, 2013
you should be able to map it by going into midi learn mode, select the loop length that you desire then push the function key that you want to assign to it. I sold my 4500 so I wont be able to test it though. let me know if that works.
studio481 11:33 PM - 26 March, 2013
Thnxs blackie lox. I will try it
George 81 4:37 PM - 9 September, 2013
I have sync the crosfader of the denon 500 mixer with serato video but when I move to the right in the mixer in the laptop it goes to the left and if I move to the left on the screen it goes to the right can you help me with this problem
J.J. 5:40 PM - 9 September, 2013
Can't you reverse the signal by hitting TAB right after you assign the video fader?
R-A-C 3:07 AM - 1 November, 2017
this is great! unfortunately the links are dead now. anyone still has the midipipe file?