DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

just got home from DJ-ing at a club.

DJ-A 8:36 AM - 3 May, 2007
so a chick cam up to me and wanted a card, and told me at least 50 times that i'm "the shit" and that she hasnt seen anyone with my skills amywhere around here. i gave her one. 30 minutes later a dude came up to me and said tat he had been there all night and came because his company wanted him to check me out.

long story short, he wants to sign me to his companie's lable... sounds cool, but i've never put huge thought into being signed, and if i did, why would i wan ot go with the first company that came up to me? why not wait?

i need help from you pros out there. help me understand this stuff. i've been around for 16 years but always got my own work
MALIBUKING 8:57 AM - 3 May, 2007
my experience in dealing with people like this, is that are all talk.

but if he happens to be real, which i highly doubt, what is he offering you?

what are you exactly being signed for?

your just mixing music, im not sure what you think they are going to give you?

A residency at another club?

Or artist management?

And what about his credentials? Google his name or his company and do some research to see what he is all about.

make sure he's not a 25,000 dollar millionaire.

best of luck.
DJ White Lightning 9:10 AM - 3 May, 2007
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said. Why are they signing you? to spin at their company X-mas party?
DJMark 9:17 AM - 3 May, 2007
My highly skeptical instincts are that the girl was on drugs (plural no accident), and the "label" guy is probably a wanna-be DJ manager who thinks "managing" DJ's might be an easy buck for him.

Being that I'm in San Francisco, I see plenty of both. Not that it's any bad thing to have people appreciate you, even flaky drugged out people...I'll take that over stupid off-format requests any day. Just don't hold up any expectations.
MALIBUKING 9:24 AM - 3 May, 2007
Quote:
Just don't hold up any expectations.

yes, exactly what DJMark said, please take ANY offers about ANYTHING with a grain of salt. People who go to clubs, or are in the club scene generally have a heightened sense of self, and some how feel more important and powerful than they really are.

"ballin!!"

It might be the booze, or the drugs, or cause they are wearing brand new clothes, or whatever, but these clubbers feel super fresh, and pop off the mouth with all sorts of bull shit, lies, and lip service to appear cool, which really isn't cool at all.
Request_This_Ladies 9:29 AM - 3 May, 2007
Awhile back I was appoached by a cat saying he worked for a prominent New York radio station and that he wanted me to work for him and the station as a DJ. The pay he offered was unbelievable!

Longstory-short, I thought he was full of it so I blew it off. However a month later I spoke to a friend that works for a local station he confirmed that the guy was for real.

My $.02? Hear him out. Ask for references. He might be legit. Theres nothing worse then saying shoulda-coulda-woulda...

Good luck bro...
Dj KaGeN 3:34 PM - 3 May, 2007
and it nevers ends... The bestest of Compliments, "I'm gonna make you big", "I need your card", "I have all these dope tracks I made- you should play them"...... on and on...

Get used to it - it's part of the game.
Kid A.V. 3:44 PM - 3 May, 2007
Quote:
and it nevers ends... The bestest of Compliments, "I'm gonna make you big", "I need your card", "I have all these dope tracks I made- you should play them"...... on and on...

Get used to it - it's part of the game.

Exactly.
Kool DJ Sheak One 3:54 PM - 3 May, 2007
[sunshine anderson]Heard it all before[/sunshine anderson]

I will fly you to Hawaii for mega club gigs!
You are the best Dj I have ever heard in my life!, Im opening up a club next week.
I'm gonna make you famous!
I schedual all the parties worldwide for Guess/Heineken/Sony Corp...

Like Malibuking said; people just want to be seen talking to the DJ, it makes them look cool I guess.
I had some wannabe bigshot give me his card "We have four mansion parties a month, $2000 dollars a night, blah blah blah.
Call dude, and he goes "I dont remember anything I said to anybody last night, sorry"
Best thing you can do is follow up, but most people (in LA at least) Are full of shit.
DJ-A 3:55 PM - 3 May, 2007
Sounds like he manages/promotes people all over the nation, and wants me to travel around to DJ.
I’m very cautious when people want to make money off my paycheck… I’ve been around for a while, and have done fine. I cant wait to hear the promises of how he can benefit me…but hell, if he is for real and this can make me some serious money, and take me all over the place, sounds fun
Dj KaGeN 4:00 PM - 3 May, 2007
expect nothing - prepare for the worst. If it happens, I'm happy for you and you'd be one lucky son-of-a-bitch to get tapped like that so quickly.
kicko 4:12 PM - 3 May, 2007
I bet he just wants to pimp you. If your getting work for yourself and doing alright then i'd say F that dude. He could be legit but honestly there's too many wacks.
DJ-A 4:18 PM - 3 May, 2007
i'd like to know what to look for in the contract so i dont get screwed... i dont like signing stuff like that
Dj KaGeN 4:35 PM - 3 May, 2007
you have the contract in hand?
DJ-A 4:37 PM - 3 May, 2007
no, it was loud and i told him to call me so we can talk because i was busy working.
(kind of rude, but he can't expect me to drop everything right then and there)
dj cubicle 4:38 PM - 3 May, 2007
If they offer you a contract, get it in paper, and a digital copy "for your records" and I'm sure people here will be more than happy to at least give it the once over.
DJ-A 5:07 PM - 3 May, 2007
Quote:
If they offer you a contract, get it in paper, and a digital copy "for your records" and I'm sure people here will be more than happy to at least give it the once over.

thats a great idea. thanks
DJ-A 5:08 PM - 3 May, 2007
in my mind i think i should have a contract to protect myself... anyone agree? if so what would you put in it?
Nicky Blunt 5:15 PM - 3 May, 2007
Quote:
in my mind i think i should have a contract to protect myself... anyone agree? if so what would you put in it?

Cash b4 play

thats one thing I insist upon!

Had too many joker assed promoters try to screw you after!!!

No Pay no play simple! Without my check I aint even setting up my laptop!
DJ-A 5:25 PM - 3 May, 2007
do any of you work with more than one promoter?
poloi3eai2 5:26 PM - 3 May, 2007
I get alot of wannabe record label so called "CEO's" coming up to me wanting to try and collaborate. Most of the time I just bullshit them saying "yea yea that's cool oh word? well hit me up." Most of those dudes are like wannabe Diddys and Dame Dash. If the dude looks professional you should check out his background and label and see how legit he is and what he has to offer.
DJ White Lightning 5:33 PM - 3 May, 2007
There is no need to check anything. 9 out of 10 times you won't even hear from them again let alone get a contract. Proof is in the pudding. Good luck.
Dj KaGeN 5:57 PM - 3 May, 2007
ask for his business card - stunned face = joker.
Has a card then you know he's got 25 bucks tied up in cards and can still be a joker.
Vinyl Ricci 11:40 PM - 3 May, 2007
my first record deal went something like this,
i'm glad they breached the contract.
I was 19 at the time... a younger fool than I am now.
never sued them though, couldn't afford the upfront litigation.
MALIBUKING 12:01 AM - 4 May, 2007
Haha, people love to been seen with the DJ. I dont understand why. there might be some cool DJ's out their, but me? cool? hahaha, i watch voltron and eat split pea soup, and get excited when i see old episodes of tale spin. LOL.

DJ-A if you do get a contract, id like to see it, that would be fun to read.

and man, Google that fuckers name, and see what he is all about man!!!
matt212 12:06 AM - 4 May, 2007
Quote:
hahaha, i watch voltron and eat split pea soup, and get excited when i see old episodes of tale spin. LOL.

You too? Transformers, Thundercats and Silverhawks was my shit though. Don't let me catch a Tom and Jerry marathon. haha.
dJ bMaN 9:53 AM - 4 May, 2007
I've had propositions like that too. A promoter told me he was gonna fly me out to Miami to do a club during memorial day weekend. I didn't believe it until 2 days before when I looked online and there were the tickets. The best dj experience of my life. I'm still waiting on a certain dj to make me a heavy-hitter like he said he was lol. Although I think staying a "free-agent" is better for me.
DJ-A 2:09 PM - 4 May, 2007
Quote:
I've had propositions like that too. A promoter told me he was gonna fly me out to Miami to do a club during memorial day weekend. I didn't believe it until 2 days before when I looked online and there were the tickets. The best dj experience of my life. I'm still waiting on a certain dj to make me a heavy-hitter like he said he was lol. Although I think staying a "free-agent" is better for me.

why do you want to stay a free agant?
dJ bMaN 3:15 PM - 4 May, 2007
I just don't feel like I need to be a part of a crew for people to acknowledge me. Dj crews bring HUGE attention to people that are in them. I'm the type that would rather be heard than seen.
DJ-A 3:18 PM - 4 May, 2007
it didnt sound like it was going to be a crew. sounded more like i would be promoted nationally. i could handle getting out there and always seeing new places. locally i'm busy enough for now, so unless they get me more cash i wouldnt be interested in just local