DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

It is finally happening....

XSV 4:15 AM - 2 May, 2007
So this is gonna seem a little long winded but it something I have been waiting to happen for a while....bear with me

So I am originally from San Diego, moved to Charlottesville Va to be closer to my Dad who is getting old and lives in Virginia Beach, Va. When I first got here I couldn't find my niche for the simple reason there isn't a big hip hop or Dj scene in general. So I prett ymuch said F*** it I am going to Dj the way I used in San Diego but bring it to these people here on the East Coast. Essentialy I am a "Hollywood Style" Dj I guess you could say. Really all depends on my mood and the crowd. OK time to shorten this. I had done 3 gigs here at a local club and they have annual contest where the people vote for best restaurant, best bartender, best music venue etc. etc. Well there is a category for Best DJ. I got voted Best Dj after only 3 gigs here. That's when I started to get all the bookings here and along with the haters. A lot of people gave me flack calling me a laptop jock for useing Serato and numerous other comments. Well today I get a call from a friend of mine. He is part of a local Hip-Hop group The Beetnix. They are up and coming but geniunely talented. I have opened for a couple of their shows and they love me. Apparently the DJ they had for the group was given the ultimatum by his girlfriend it was her or the music. He chose her. OK so now that I done rambling...They asked me to take over. They are getting in the studio in a couple of weeks to work on their new album and they are already booked to do 15 shows in Japan and another 10 show run around Europe and I am going to be part of it. I AM STOKED. Something I have been waiting for and wanted to do for a long time. Sorry this was so long but I felt like I had to share with people who woudl understand. Thanks

XSV
Sheeds 4:26 AM - 2 May, 2007
major props man, and I;ve been seeing a lot of SD heads on the board so that's even cooler. I think I will move to Idaho and conquer the music scene there.
sixxx 4:30 AM - 2 May, 2007
That's a cool story. I can't believe the last DJ chose pussy over music...

Fuck that.
matt212 4:32 AM - 2 May, 2007
That's great man, good to hear stuff like that, especially up there in the mountains of Charlottesville. They got haters up there? Haha.

You won't have that problem of not finding any hip hop spots in Va Beach, but 15 shows in Japan and 10 in Europe should make up for anything you're missing right now. Good luck.
XSV 4:33 AM - 2 May, 2007
I know it is amazing that in the same sentence of him asking me to do it he mentioned the Japan and Europe gigs
XSV 4:34 AM - 2 May, 2007
Yeah and th eother Dj is more tlented than me in some aspects but just gave it all up like it didn't even mater is what's the worst....and I have a show tomorrow night in Baltimore at the 8x10 with them and the old Dj called this morning to say he quit
DJ Distrakted 4:45 AM - 2 May, 2007
congrats, hopefully i will get to that status someday
DjRekTek 7:19 AM - 2 May, 2007
XSV...props to ya! Also glad to finally see someone on this forum thats in my neck of the woods. Well, almost...30 miles west of ya in Staunton, VA.

Good luck on your trip overseas!
Nicky Blunt 9:35 AM - 2 May, 2007
Quote:
That's a cool story. I can't believe the last DJ chose pussy over music...

Fuck that.

co-signed
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:20 PM - 2 May, 2007
Congrats man! Best of luck!
XSV 1:25 PM - 2 May, 2007
Quote:
XSV...props to ya! Also glad to finally see someone on this forum thats in my neck of the woods. Well, almost...30 miles west of ya in Staunton, VA.

What kind of scene is there in Staunton????

And thanks for all the support guys
FlexyD 1:54 PM - 2 May, 2007
XSV , good luck, if you are ever in the Richmond area make sure to hit me up, I'd love to get all the east coast heads together for a Jam session like all the west coast cats do every year.
Congrats on the tour that is great news!!
DJ d.range 2:07 AM - 3 May, 2007
break a leg...just not mine
DjRekTek 5:16 AM - 4 May, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Holy shit, it's like Mayberry compared to C Ville', if that tells you anything,lol

Its fairly quiet and quaint, I used to do alot of mobiles until I got tired of busting my back. I got a bar gig every Wed, keeps me in check with my so called skills. lol

DjRekTek 5:18 AM - 4 May, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Holy shit, it's like Mayberry compared to C Ville', if that tells you anything,lol

Its fairly quiet and quaint, I used to do alot of mobiles until I got tired of busting my back. I got a bar gig every Wed, keeps me in check with my so called skills. lol

Damn, I need to remember to use the preview function!