Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Deleting Cue Points via MIDI? There must be a way.

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
radikarl 1:58 PM - 19 December, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.1.1
Hardware: scratchlive-sl3
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.4
---

Hello,
As far as i know, Novation Dicers, Denon HC1000S and Rane Sixty Eight all use old school MIDI messages to control ScratchLive.
All of them have a Shift Function so you can delete CuePoints.

However, deleting Cues is not mappable from within the GUI for third party controllers.
I don't find a way to assign a shift key in the GUI either.

Can someone please tell me what to put into a XML so this works with other MIDI hardware too?
Since the Dicers, the HC1000 and the Sixty Eight use pure MIDI, there must be a way to map that.
Is that available as an Easter Egg, or is it just not mappable at all?

Please!! We are waiting for so long to delete Cues via MIDI. I got the Dicers and i love this function but i would like to have it on other controllers too.

In the Denon forums i found this:
Quote:
<Modifier name="Shift Modifier 2" event_type="Note On" channel="5" control="54" />
and
Quote:
<Control name="Eject Button A DAW" channel="5" event_type="Note On" control="1" on_modifier="Shift Modifier 2"/>
(Source: www.denondjforums.com)

And i tried it out, guess what, that works, you can actually define shift keys yourself. Another Midi function you only get by manually editing the XML.

So i guess to delete a Cue Point we probably need a certain modifier, since it involves a Shift Button.

What would that Modifier be?
What would the XML code look like?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:15 AM - 20 December, 2010
Hey radikarl

Quote:
However, deleting Cues is not mappable from within the GUI for third party controllers. I don't find a way to assign a shift key in the GUI either.

You can delete cue points via MIDI the same way you set them. You just need to MIDI map the '+' button for each cue point slot, the + sets a cue point but if a cue point is already set then it becomes an 'x' which deletes the cue point :)

Also, shift functions can be mapped in the Scratch Live MIDI mode by control + clicking on the Scratch Live function instead of just clicking - if there is a shift key function for this button then control + clicking allows you to MIDI assign it.

Cheers :)
radikarl 9:59 AM - 20 December, 2010
Hey Logan, thank you for your reply.
Quote:

You can delete cue points via MIDI the same way you set them. You just need to MIDI map the '+' button for each cue point slot, the + sets a cue point but if a cue point is already set then it becomes an 'x' which deletes the cue point :)

unfortunately this is not true. Have you tried it yourself?

Quote:

Also, shift functions can be mapped in the Scratch Live MIDI mode by control + clicking on the Scratch Live function instead of just clicking - if there is a shift key function for this button then control + clicking allows you to MIDI assign it.

I know this one, but that is another type of "shift" than what i have referred to.
radikarl 10:04 AM - 20 December, 2010
to be more precise:
1) if you map the plus sign, it always overwrites cues via MIDI. it never deletes. but i want to delete them without placing a new one, just as with the Novation Dicers.

2) shift, ctrl and ctrl+alt are all mappable from within the GUI. but a "modifier" as in the code example i posted is not GUI- mappable. (but actually works if you put it in the XML manually) it is even possible to combine a shift as you referred to with a modifier.

that is why i asked if there is some special modifier we need to use for deleting Cues.

Cheers
radikarl 10:55 AM - 21 December, 2010
bump
radikarl 10:05 AM - 22 December, 2010
bump again
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:30 PM - 22 December, 2010
Hey sorry for the delayed reply.

Woops sorry you are right, it was late arvo when i posted that :p.

Quote:
1) if you map the plus sign, it always overwrites cues via MIDI. it never deletes. but i want to delete them without placing a new one, just as with the Novation Dicers.
I agree, the option to delete cue-points via MIDI would be handy. I have just made a spec for this and passed it on to our devs. We will revise this and see what we can come up with :)

Quote:
2) shift, ctrl and ctrl+alt are all mappable from within the GUI. but a "modifier" as in the code example i posted is not GUI- mappable. (but actually works if you put it in the XML manually) it is even possible to combine a shift as you referred to with a modifier.

that is why i asked if there is some special modifier we need to use for deleting Cues.
Unfortunately with this one I can't help you. We don't support any XML modifier etc - I don't exactly know how to do this myself anyway. I don't doubt this is possible and I'm sure there are many users on the forum who can point you in the right direction however as i said we don't actually support this.

Cheers :)
radikarl 12:01 AM - 23 December, 2010
Hey Logan,
thank you for your replies!
I will close this and add a +1 to feature request thread for deleting Cues, or create one if there aren't any.

Cheers.
radikarl
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:41 AM - 23 December, 2010
No problem, thank you for bringing this to our attention :)
8:00 PM, 6 Jan 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.