DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Recording your Vynel Collection into SSL

Mr.Nice 3:37 AM - 1 May, 2007
Hi,

Just wondering what everybody uses to sample thier vynel into digital format to use in SSL. I know SSL can do it, but when I tried this the vol was really low and the qaulity not great.

What would be the best way to sample my vynel into SSL and keep it at good quality?
Nicky Blunt 12:20 PM - 1 May, 2007
this thread has been done elsewhere, but i use cool edit pro 2
Mr.Nice 3:15 AM - 2 May, 2007
Thanks Nicky, I figured this thread would exist but couldn't fine it... Any reason you use Cool Edit over Serato? Also how do you adjust your E.Q on the mixer before you record?
Nicky Blunt 8:36 AM - 2 May, 2007
with cool edit 2 you can do so much more!

THere are so many features like inserting a dvd disc & ripping the audio! Which is F*&^in great if your a skratch dj! Seriously just try it with your fave movie lines!

Ive got about 50 GB of just movie audio!

You can not only record but edit too!

Its where I then record all of my mixes too as serato does not let you do that! & I have had cool edt for about 3 years and serato for about 1 1/2 months.
Nicky Blunt 8:38 AM - 2 May, 2007
Thats not to say I would use serato if id had that also you can set the bitrate for your mp3s as you need it!

The variety of different file formats you can save your particular file as.

I could go on & on!

I love cool edit! I also use it for production with reason 3

If you are going to buy it make sure you get cool edit 2 I did & its well worth the money!
Mr.Nice 4:07 AM - 3 May, 2007
Sold :-)
Psyko Logical 7:43 AM - 4 May, 2007
Yeah, CEP is a great program. It really helps with getting all your files nice and neat; I use it to normalize and EQ my tracks, cut off or add silence, even correct errors in bad files.

Nicky--I never even realized it could rip DVD audio. I've been doing it the long way. Thanks.
Nicky Blunt 9:02 AM - 4 May, 2007
you have to go to file!

Then extract audio from video!

B.I.G. Programme you have to have version 2 tho for it to work properly!

I use it most to tidy up my mixes after ive done them!
J0be 9:04 AM - 4 May, 2007
Now known as Adobe Audition 2? Just wana make sure I'm getting the right one. Nice advice, just last night I was looking for software to record my mix!
Nicky Blunt 9:05 AM - 4 May, 2007
no dude cool edit pro 2 gimmie 1 sec dont go anywhere
Nicky Blunt 9:07 AM - 4 May, 2007
www.softpedia.com

thats the shit right thurrr!
J0be 9:09 AM - 4 May, 2007
www.adobe.com

Weird! Still, thanks again bro, lifesaver! Gutted I'm at work, cant wait to get home and record some film audio and get my scratch on!!
Nicky Blunt 9:12 AM - 4 May, 2007
really tho there is a quicker program for dvd rips its calle imtoo
it cost me £12.50 & I downloaded it from twocows.com

big as you can save your dvds to your computer!

Then rip the audio in cool edit!

Still im kinda confused about the cool edit now adobe audition!
Wierd huh?
Nicky Blunt 9:27 AM - 4 May, 2007
Quote:
www.adobe.com

Weird! Still, thanks again bro, lifesaver! Gutted I'm at work, cant wait to get home and record some film audio and get my scratch on!!

id buy this it looks fresher & newer than my old skool cool edit 2!

Imma upgrade me end of this month!!!
J0be 9:29 AM - 4 May, 2007
Lets just hope I dont have any problems with Vista :/
Nicky Blunt 9:56 AM - 4 May, 2007
Oh! Your running vista!

My prayers are with you!

LOL
rollanotherone 12:46 AM - 3 June, 2007
So Nicky, whats the set gotta be to record into CEP2? Do I need to run a line thru to a sound card? Or, will CEP2 and Serato line up already? I have both, and want to know how to work it. Because, I know there is a way, but im unsure as to how to set up CEP2 and SSL to record and edit. What cables if any, and do I need a sound card, or will the build in sound card on my Mobo work, and ...... I could go on, but first, whats the simplest way to get this all up and running? I ask, because not only do I want to record all my vinyl, but I want to record my bro, my mentor, my teacher and his mixes, and he wants me to record his stuff. So, the sooner I get both things working together, the better. From a noob stand point, what do I need to do to set it up? I can take the rest from there.
Dax 9:15 AM - 3 June, 2007
you could try Reaper- Audio Recording and Editing Software
www.cockos.com
or
Audacity- open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.
audacity.sourceforge.net
rollanotherone 9:55 AM - 3 June, 2007
Thats all sweet and dandy, but how do I record the sound coming from Serato, thru my comp, playing out my speakers, into an mp3 format? I understand that there are programs out there, but how do I set up the system to do that? And, as DJ Disturbed pointed out, Serato does that already with the mic built into Serato, but how do I get a clean, professional sounding mp3 recorded into a sound editing program with a recording from vinyl?
rhythmunderground 1:43 PM - 3 June, 2007
cant do that with serato unless you got a ttm-57sl.

the serato internal recorder will only do one source. you cant record a mix with it with an sl-1

audio hijack (mac) type programs can record one source and not the serato app.

just use a cable with stero mini jack on your internal audio card to an rca format on the back of your mixer
rollanotherone 9:30 PM - 3 June, 2007
Ahh, ok. See, finally someone breaks it down for the noob(me). I will try this and see how it works. And this will link into Cool Edit Pro?
rhythmunderground 1:38 AM - 4 June, 2007
sure, cool edit pro will work fine.
Nicky Blunt 3:32 PM - 6 June, 2007
rollanotherone dude I have not been ignoring you just been at work andaway from the boards!

Sorry!

But it seems yall got it sorted now! HOLLA IF YOU NEED TO!
rollanotherone 2:10 AM - 7 June, 2007
Ok, i got my rca to line in jack. Im going to try and hook it up tonight, and see if it works. I have 2 programs that will record. Nero 6 and Cool Edit Pro. Ill give it a whirl.
rollanotherone 7:04 AM - 7 June, 2007
Done, done and dunner. I actually recorded myself scratching ,and OMG. Boy, I have a REALLY long way to go....... (sounds like $hi7) But, at least hearing myself later, I can learn from my crap. Like athletes who video tape themselves swinging a bat, or golf club and watching it back later to learn from. And, now all my vinyl will be in MP3. Stoked, and thanks for all the help people. N Blunt, DJ Disturbed, rhythmunderground, all your help and advice got me to the promised land.
Nicky Blunt 10:15 AM - 7 June, 2007
Safe dude!

Enjoy!

Maybee even post up ypur efforts
rollanotherone 9:22 AM - 8 June, 2007
Well, if I can figure it out fully, and get the chorus's and tempo's matched perfectly, I mashed up The Mighty Diamonds - Pass the Kutchie and Tom Petty's - Roll Another Joint. It sounded sick and the themes matched up perfectly too. Try it, BPM and bass lines worked in sync.
Nicky Blunt 9:28 AM - 8 June, 2007
if you wanna go further with scratching try q-berts diy dvds.

Just google it as you aint supposed to put products up!

Both of them are wicked but the second one is a lil more advanced.
DJ FATZ 2:02 AM - 12 June, 2007
About how much does hese particular softwares run. Can you get a cracked copy?
Nicky Blunt 9:09 AM - 12 June, 2007
if you mean a cracked copy of cool edit (im not getting involved I like it here) & the dvd's are like £15 a go so you have no excuses! :)
J0be 1:23 PM - 12 June, 2007
**turns around and backs out the forum slowly**
Nicky Blunt 1:27 PM - 12 June, 2007
Quote:
**turns around and backs out the forum slowly**

dude you have to let them know! otherwise they get themselves banned!

Just slinking off into the shade to cover your own ass huh? ;)

I know your type (JOKE)
J0be 2:35 PM - 12 June, 2007
hahaha
DJ FATZ 10:50 PM - 12 June, 2007
Well I not telling anyone to do anything illegal I just asked a question. I would pay for it but if someone has a copy for cheaper why buy it at full price.
Dax 12:32 AM - 13 June, 2007
Quote:
you could try Reaper- Audio Recording and Editing Software
www.cockos.com
or
Audacity- open source software for recording and editing sounds. It is available for Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows, GNU/Linux, and other operating systems.
audacity.sourceforge.net

no need for cracks
peteaus 3:18 AM - 14 June, 2007
Just would like to ask as i'm planning on getting serato in the next few days - I want to record all my wax to mp3, with serato can u do this @ 320 kb/s or should i try CEP2? im happy to buy that as the other options look good but not if i dont need to

basically id be using laptop - id run sound output from laptop to the rca output on my mixer and use cep 2 to record? can u use the program also to edit the recording so u get the start at the start (no 5 seconds of silence or something)?

serato would do the same just using the serato box and serato program instead ? would just like to know what quality u can record with serato
Nicky Blunt 9:17 AM - 14 June, 2007
CEP2 is by far the better option for editing the silence etc! but with rel mode & cue points you neednt worry!

However I would reccomend you buy serato & cool edit 2 as you are
gonna wanna edit things! Make stuff etc!

CEP2 is the way to go! Ive been singing its praises for ages!
peteaus 9:51 AM - 14 June, 2007
sweet thanks matey
planning to get serato on the weekend ;D
will get CEP2 as well soon
Nicky Blunt 10:10 AM - 14 June, 2007
yeah but think cool edit pro 2 has now turned into an adobe product!

THere is a thread here about it somewhere!

but if your buying serato this weekend start downloading the software now & start ading tracks so you have the ability to plug & play!

I wish i'd done that! As I couldent play with it the 1st day I had it!
J0be 10:57 AM - 14 June, 2007
Thats great advice. I was the same, it all arrived and it took me ages to get going.
Download the software, add all your tracks and build the overviews. Genius.
Nicky Blunt 11:15 AM - 14 June, 2007
you know this!

Im still up loading changing file na,es & all sorts & ive had mine for about 3 months now!
J0be 12:53 PM - 14 June, 2007
Me too, in fact, we should make a sticky for the Tips and Tricks aimed at all the people who are PLANNING to buy Serato, listing all the shit you should do before it arrives.
Nicky Blunt 1:09 PM - 14 June, 2007
Yeah J0be thats a wicked idea!

It would have been great if i'd known that 1st!
J0be 1:30 PM - 14 June, 2007
You're not kidding!

I'll start it off and pass it to you via a PM, you can add or change whatever and slap it on the board.

It wont be much but I bet someone will appreciate it.
Nicky Blunt 1:32 PM - 14 June, 2007
safe dude!

Also I have a mixtape done if your ineterested!

Just a one take off the fly thing i did last night!

Nothing amazing!

You on msn! Ill send it to ya!
J0be 1:55 PM - 14 June, 2007
yeh I'm on msn, simonjobe23@hotmail.com

Done my part of the thread, over to you!
Nicky Blunt 1:56 PM - 14 June, 2007
coolio!
J0be 2:00 PM - 14 June, 2007
you have been PMed Mr!
J0be 2:01 PM - 14 June, 2007
And yes, I'll defo have some of that mix! Wont be until I get home from work though. 5pm
Nicky Blunt 2:19 PM - 14 June, 2007
cool I get home at about 6ish so be on msn ive allready added you!

but bear in mind this mixtape was done late last night as stress relief!

Its dark as fuck & there are a couple of minor mistakes! But hey we all make them!
J0be 2:23 PM - 14 June, 2007
shit, my Technics couldnt hold their pitch if their life depended on it, my mixes are always packed with mistakes.

Quote:
its dark as fuck

I liiiike!!
Nicky Blunt 2:27 PM - 14 June, 2007
there is a tracklistin in the dnb mixtape thread
tell me what ones you know! & what ones you dont!

I think the newest tune was from about 98

tell me waht you think
peteaus 1:14 AM - 15 June, 2007
i grabbed serato last night on my laptop at a mates when i had a better mess around on it. got to add most of my stuff in briefly but not organised at all
only had to attempt 1 mix to make up my mind, should be getting it today / tommorow

=)
Nicky Blunt 9:04 AM - 15 June, 2007
see my thinking of buying serato thread peteaus!
J0be 5:18 PM - 15 June, 2007
where is that thread exactly!?
Nicky Blunt 8:38 AM - 18 June, 2007
general discussion
Nicky Blunt 8:38 AM - 18 June, 2007
also jobe basically made it!
J0be 11:12 AM - 18 June, 2007
lol
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 12:00 AM - 8 July, 2007
**Moved to General Discussion