Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

couple problems

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
eder 12:47 AM - 18 April, 2005
hey, i've been djing w/ SSL since like last june...mostly small house parties and the occasional high school dance...but i've ran into a few problems that i can't seeem to deal with...
1. i have never gotten clean circles from my calibration, even if i use a brand-new m44-7 needle and brand-spanding new SSL records...i have a str8-69 and a str8-80...both give me visible noise when i try to calibrate, even if the room is silent.
2. i cannot get my str8-60 to estimate anything lower than -24db (or whatever all the way to the right is)...i have the table properly grouded to the ground post on my mixer, but nothing comes about from it...
3. my tracking is always off, usually like 1 hr-2 hrs into the set, i start to lose tempo (the song slows down)...i always spin in relative mode....
4. last night, i had a huge gig for 3,000 people...had to rent 4 dual 15" tops, 4 folded-horn bottoms and 2 dual 18" front-loaded bottoms....whenever the bass would hit, the vibration from the bass would COMPLETELY screw up the tracking (i went into the calibration menu and it was spazzing the circles whenever the bass hit)...i had like 3 cardboard boxes (broken down and folded flat) underneath each table in order to help deal with the vibrations....wasn't enough.
i clean my needles weekly when not in use, once an hr while on a gig....clean the records daily when in use, once a week when not...i run SSL w/ like 30-40 refreshes/sec and usb buffer of 10-15...i run off of a P4 3.2 gHz pc desktop w/ 768 mb ram and xp media edtion...any quick help would be great. thanks!
eder 12:50 AM - 18 April, 2005
another thing, too...i defrag weekly
eder 12:56 AM - 18 April, 2005
lol....small typo...it's a str8-60...not a str8-69....
Serato
Josh 1:28 AM - 18 April, 2005
Are you able to try it on different turntables?
eder 2:44 AM - 18 April, 2005
no, unfortunately not.
Revolutionary 6:58 AM - 18 April, 2005
Are the RCAs near a power supply or a power strip? You might be picking up something.

I would definitely try it on another set of turntables like Josh suggested.
nik39 12:41 PM - 18 April, 2005
Quote:
i had like 3 cardboard boxes (broken down and folded flat) underneath each table in order to help deal with the vibrations....wasn't enough.

Why do you think would cardboardboxes kill vibrations?
DJ 3pm 1:31 PM - 18 April, 2005
Quote:
i clean my needles weekly when not in use, once an hr while on a gig.

once an hour? damn, my needles pick-up rubbish constantly. i clean mine after just about every other song.
McSpleen 1:54 PM - 18 April, 2005
I also agree with Josh, you need more solid turntables.
eder 5:08 AM - 19 April, 2005
what would be good for the money then? i have to get something relatively cheap, hopefully no more than 400-500 for the pair...not too much cash coming in, especially for turntables...gas is so damn expensive in so cal now it's not even funny...
kwake 6:38 AM - 19 April, 2005
i have problem wit my ssl...wen i load song into my library it comes out "TRACK 1", "TRACK 2", and soo on...but all these songs have titles when they r in my ext harddrive. wuts wrong?
kwake 6:47 AM - 19 April, 2005
opps....mah bad...wrong thread.
McSpleen 8:06 PM - 19 April, 2005
Quote:
gas is so damn expensive in so cal now it's not even funny...

I hear ya, be glad you don't drive in Ontario, it's even worse up here if you convert gallons to liters and American $$ to cheaper Canadian $$.

You might be able to find a used pair of Techics for that price.
Dj Rocky 5:29 AM - 20 April, 2005
Quote:
1.i have a str8-69 and a str8-80...both give me visible noise when i try to calibrate, even if the room is silent.
2. i cannot get my str8-60 to estimate anything lower than -24db (or whatever all the way to the right is)...i have the table properly grouded to the ground post on my mixer, but nothing comes about from it...

Have you checked if your Turntables have a LINE output switch? If so turn it to phono or set SSL to LINE INPUT intead of PHONO.
Samething with your mixer. Make sure you use the right input LINE or PHONO. If you are not using a Power Supply, that could be another reason.

I had a similar problem, I had my TTX set on line but was connected to a phono input on my MIXER so I had to set my turntable to phono output.
eder 5:08 PM - 20 April, 2005
i have a power supply....one table (the 8-80) has a line/phono switch...but the other one is only phono.
Dj Rocky 7:35 AM - 21 April, 2005
Quote:
i have a power supply....one table (the 8-80) has a line/phono switch...but the other one is only phono.

Then set your str8-80 on phono and set SSL on Phono input and make sure you plug it in to the phono input on your mixer then the other 2 to line inputs.