Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Rescanning ID3 Tags

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
djsgroove 8:34 PM - 27 April, 2007
What is the good in doing this and how often should I do it?
Thanks,
djsgroove
Rane, Support
Shaun W 9:05 PM - 27 April, 2007
Taken from the manual:
Quote:
Rescan ID3 tags

Click this button to force Scratch LIVE to re-read all file tags. Use this function if you have edited or modified file tags outside of Scratch LIVE.

Tip:Rescanning the tags is a handy way to identify all the files that Scratch LIVE can’t find (for example if the files have been altered or moved). These tracks will show up red in the main track list, with an exclamation mark in the status column. You can sort by the status column to group all these tracks together.
cappinkirk 5:32 PM - 24 May, 2007
so when you rescan the tags it just increases the number of "not found" files based on whether or not they have been moved or altered (or it does nothing if no changes like that have been made)....nothing else??? I want to be sure I know everything that it does.

What about when a song show up with no bpm and then i select it and the name changes and the bpm is there. what happened in that case? Why was it not recognized correctly first? Is there a way to scan all files and update them (I only make changes in SSL)
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:13 PM - 25 May, 2007
Quote:
Is there a way to scan all files and update them (I only make changes in SSL)

This is what the rescan id3 tag option does.

It scans the files for any changes made to the id3 tags.

Quote:
What about when a song show up with no bpm and then i select it and the name changes and the bpm is there. what happened in that case? Why was it not recognized correctly first?

This will typically happen if the id3 tag has too much information.
If this is happening try this:

Note: This will delete any cues or loops you might have in your files. You might want to try this on one track first.
1. Completely quit all programs.
2. Open iTunes.
3. Click on your 'music' to show all the songs in your library.
4. Select all (apple+a Mac) (ctrl+a PC).
5. Click on the 'advanced' column.
6. Select 'convert id3 tags'.
7. Check the 'id3 tag version' and select 'none'.
8. Press 'ok'.
9. Click on the 'advanced' column.
10. Select 'convert id3 tags'.
11. Check the 'id3 tag version' and select '2.3'.
12. Press 'ok'.
reano 1:47 PM - 26 May, 2007
I use my iTunes library in an external HD, so I do not use the "read iTunes library" in SSL. I manually added all my iTunes library to SSL.

I have built overview for all my songs (40 gb, took a couple of days) with the autobpm function turned on. Now I got the majority of my songs with complete bpm information in SSL (altough the id3 tags in iTunes were not modified).

My doubt is: if a use the "Rescan ID3 Tags" feature in SSL, will I loose all bpm information in my SSL library?

Thanks!
reano 1:35 PM - 28 May, 2007
up...

anybody?

Thanks.
SUBSTANCE 10:24 PM - 30 May, 2007
What is the difference between un-checking & re-checking the 'read itunes library' and 'rescan ID3 tags'.
I frequently do both one after the other and I wonder if it's doing the same thing twice.

..and reano, 'rescan ID3 tags' WON'T lose BPM info. (if anything, that process should find BPM info)
reano 1:41 PM - 31 May, 2007
Hi Substance!

Thanks for your answer!