DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

so having a vagina will get you more bookings...

Jordan Laws 8:32 PM - 24 April, 2007
No matter the level of talent they will always stay working. I'm sure you have all heard this before but I have yet to hear a female Dj who really rip a set, or even do a mix that makes me say "why didn't I think of that?" And why is it that if they can scratch that they look like chomp on the box? Or how many female Dj's own a copy of or even know about UBB? I will respect a female DJ's hustle because it beats taking your clothes off...well unless your that naked topless DJ I have seen on the intertnet. discuss........
tig ol' bitties 8:39 PM - 24 April, 2007
I was at a new years party at Marquee in NYC this past year and they had a female Dj. SHE SUCKED! I dont think she did a single mix and she played at least 5 songs 3 or 4 times.
She is actually the only female DJ I have seen so my input is rather null, but from what I have heard most places will take a decently good looking girl DJ with mediocre skills over a dude with lots of skills...
Kinda just how shit goes in this day and age.
Steve_Dub 8:41 PM - 24 April, 2007
Well I havent seen 1 female dj in LB or OC with a residency so that tells me alot right there, they might get a guest set once in a while but usually they suck ass and the promoters notice that. I cant say too much about the Hollywood/LA clubs since I have been out of that scene for about year. Most female dj's suck, the ones that are dope have been discussed on the board before, the only female Dj I have ever seen was Lady Tribe about a year ago and she SUCKED!!! seriously, and that bitch is UGLY (to me) she just has a nice rack.
Jordan Laws 8:47 PM - 24 April, 2007
Quote:
I was at a new years party at Marquee in NYC this past year and they had a female Dj. SHE SUCKED! I dont think she did a single mix and she played at least 5 songs 3 or 4 times.
She is actually the only female DJ I have seen so my input is rather null, but from what I have heard most places will take a decently good looking girl DJ with mediocre skills over a dude with lots of skills...

I know EXACTLY who your talking about. when I made this post she was one of the ones I had in mind
tig ol' bitties 8:49 PM - 24 April, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I know EXACTLY who your talking about. when I made this post she was one of the ones I had in mind

really? does she normally hold that place down on the reg? She isnt hot, kinda chunky from what I recall.
FlexyD 8:49 PM - 24 April, 2007
I've seen and heard a few female djs rip it but most do suck. DJ Shortee is an example of a really dope female DJ IMO. I've seen DJ Rap tear up some DnB before and also seen her really suck while spinning some pop ish. So I think it comes and goes with genres too, If you have a female Dj who is really into the music she spins and is innovative with her style then I will give her props but if she is just out there tying to look pretty with the headphones on and moving the records around then she gets no respect form me Even the pretty girls need to pay their dues!!!!
JayB1200 8:51 PM - 24 April, 2007
i seen lazy k spin around my way, she had a nice mix, i didnt hear her scratch at all, but she held down the dance floor, and she was great on the mic...
Jordan Laws 9:05 PM - 24 April, 2007
Quote:
i seen lazy k spin around my way, she had a nice mix, i didnt hear her scratch at all, but she held down the dance floor, and she was great on the mic...

the only time I have seen a female Dj good on the mic is when she's sucking it :P
Dj KaGeN 9:24 PM - 24 April, 2007
duh.... and a long line of horny stupid fucks at the door. So really now, despite being sexist, who should you really be hating on?
grrillatactics 9:27 PM - 24 April, 2007
Shortee is very good, and at this point, as much as it is odd to say it, I think she may have surpassed her husband on the cut.

Annalyze is solid, and is still pretty young and hungry to improve, so keep an eye out for her.

Reid Speed is always a well-mixed set, as is Flight (uk dnb dj).

There are others out there who can hold it down (Killa Jewel also springs to mind).
JayB1200 9:34 PM - 24 April, 2007
dj diamond cuts is nice, never seen her live, but she always on the radio spinin...
Jordan Laws 9:38 PM - 24 April, 2007
Quote:
Shortee is very good, and at this point, as much as it is odd to say it, I think she may have surpassed her husband on the cut.

Annalyze is solid, and is still pretty young and hungry to improve, so keep an eye out for her.

Reid Speed is always a well-mixed set, as is Flight (uk dnb dj).

There are others out there who can hold it down (Killa Jewel also springs to mind).[/quote I never heard reid spin but I went to HS with her but I found that out years later it was her so im gonna take her off the list cause I think we got high together a long time ago...
Thundercat 10:01 PM - 24 April, 2007
Once again I read a forum topic too quickly. I was all excited that shaving a vagina would get me more bookings. Sign me up!
DjWoody 10:12 PM - 24 April, 2007
Female DJ's that I've seen rock it and are actually good...

1.- Kristina Sky
- She's a local LA Trance DJ that can kick some ass.

2.- DJ Fei Fei
- She's a friend of mine, but she's got some serious skills. She had a Spundae Residency too. She's also been featured on Power Tools on Power 106 several times and has played with many of the world's biggest DJ's.

3.- Miss Lisa
- She's fairly decent. She's hot. When she played Kelly Clarkson on her set she cleared the dancefloor. She's also the only female DJ I've seen get boo'd. Hehe But her skills are good. Her music, is a whole different story.
Steve_Dub 10:15 PM - 24 April, 2007
If I ever spin with a chick im gonna ask her if I can stick my hard drive into her usb slot. he he.
dj_soo 10:24 PM - 24 April, 2007
lot of girls here can rip it up on the deck. Although a lot get bookings cause they're hot too...
Dj Shamann 10:27 PM - 24 April, 2007
Quote:
Shortee is very good,

I came across a couple of videos of hers while discussing this exact subject with a female DJ friend of mine (out of respect there's no need to broadcast her name) and I didn't really care much for her (Shortee's) beat juggle, but her cuts were very nice and I gave her definite props there. Respect to her.

I've met a few female Dj's that actually ARE DJ's and take it very seriously, but unfortunately they're not the ones getting the gigs, so it's not really fair to judge them by the novelty-pin-up-dolls train wrecking the shit out of the mainstream.
dj_soo 10:31 PM - 24 April, 2007
also seems that female djs are more prevalent in the electronic scene for some reason - especially in house.

honestly though, there's absolutely no reason a woman can't DJ as well or better than a guy - it's not like beatmatching is only possible for guys and it's not like good taste in music is only in the realm of men.
Dash Kinetix 10:32 PM - 24 April, 2007
We can all piss, moan and complain about crappy female dj's but that's gonna be a fact of life as long as women attract larger crowds than guys. the only way we can do shit about it is just bust our ass on the cuts and networking to get bigger gigs and bigger crowds. how often are you out at a club and you think to yourself "wow this dj sucks", then ask yourself why they're behind the decks (gettin paid or getting pub) and you're just in the crowd.

"Don't get bitter, get better".
sean_myracle 10:45 PM - 24 April, 2007
^^^ kudos ^^^

of course chicks will get gigs easier...it's cuz guys think with their dicks and will always come out to check a "chick" out. same reason behind ladies nights...

im sure the lot of you doods are the type of guys - "that chick is hot" (as you stop what you are doing to gawk)
Steve_Dub 10:46 PM - 24 April, 2007
Quote:
also seems that female djs are more prevalent in the electronic scene for some reason - especially in house.

honestly though, there's absolutely no reason a woman can't DJ as well or better than a guy - it's not like beatmatching is only possible for guys and it's not like good taste in music is only in the realm of men.

True you can teach ANY chick to beat match if she really wants to, but I dont know many girls (of course there are exceptions) that are willing to take the time to learn to scratch (which is why there are more female house dj's than hip-hop)

You also got to factor in the the creative part of dj'ing, NOBODY can teach you that, shit most guy dj's ive come across dont really have any creativity in their sets.

Bottom line is, if a female dj puts her heart and mind to it, she can become just as good if not better than alot of us. There just arent that many that I could see. Most chicks are more concerned with looks and shopping lol. Yes im ignorant.
DJMark 11:06 PM - 24 April, 2007
Maybe it's time for some of you under-employed male DJ's to give serious consideration to cross-dressing.
DJChadG 11:23 PM - 24 April, 2007
She's one of my favorite DJs and just so happens to be female:

Sandra Collins - spins house, trance, ambient, etc all over.
www.myspace.com
Func1200 11:26 PM - 24 April, 2007
"so having a vagina will get you more bookings"
yes and have more bookings will get you some vagina.
thats just how it is.
DJBlisk 11:41 PM - 24 April, 2007
Quote:
She's one of my favorite DJs and just so happens to be female:

Sandra Collins - spins house, trance, ambient, etc all over.
www.myspace.com

She is sick!!!! her essential mix was awesome. especially the beginning with the "i'll kill you" track.
nakedlou 11:47 PM - 24 April, 2007
I have djed with DJ Tatiana....she's......OK
DJ Lagos 11:57 PM - 24 April, 2007
man, i met this one old ass female dj who claimed to be from D.C. but moved to Bham. she said she wanted to be my agent because she had 10 other dj's in DC working for her and she also dj's herself. i told her f*ck that about being my agent. i am my own agent and i keep all the cake. i went to check one of her shows out and she sucked a big dick!!!! she came to one of my shows and was c*mmin' on herself over my equipment and how i was mixing my azz off. she had the nerve to ask me if i was mixing live or was it recorded because she cant mix live. i said what the f*ck!!!! she didnt know that i had already check her out and i knew she sucked!!!!
Dash Kinetix 12:28 AM - 25 April, 2007
Quote:
man, i met this one old ass female dj who claimed to be from D.C. but moved to Bham. she said she wanted to be my agent because she had 10 other dj's in DC working for her and she also dj's herself. i told her f*ck that about being my agent. i am my own agent and i keep all the cake. i went to check one of her shows out and she sucked a big dick!!!! she came to one of my shows and was c*mmin' on herself over my equipment and how i was mixing my azz off. she had the nerve to ask me if i was mixing live or was it recorded because she cant mix live. i said what the f*ck!!!! she didnt know that i had already check her out and i knew she sucked!!!!

but homie when it came down to it, where did it get you? At HER show watchin HER and seeing and how much she sucks. Also if she was trying to be your agent, of course she's gonna come to your show and ride your nuts/play dumb and do whatever cause it's part of the game, all agents do that shit. If you're doin shows (which you are) then just keep grindin and don't waste your energy on bitches tryin to hold you back, snakes tryin to get your paper or suckas tryin to hate. Keep doin what you do
Mr. $weetlife 1:13 AM - 25 April, 2007
In the Tri-State area (PA, NJ, NY). DJ Sparkles from Philly can tear it up. She entered the NYC DMC contest last year and got 4th. She WAS ROBBED. I Swear 80% of the crowd thought she was going to win 1st place and go on to fight the Frenchies...
FSHIGADELIAN 1:40 AM - 25 April, 2007
Sparkles + Analyze are the fucking truth! they shit on me and 98% of motherfuckers out there PERIOD
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 7:33 PM - 25 April, 2007
how bout a mangina
DJ Phenom (Los Angeles) 7:55 PM - 25 April, 2007
man..... we had this female dj @ my weekly club gig last Sat the 21st & that shit was pathetic. she even told me @ the end of the night that it was her 1st time using serato @ a gig (she says she rocks torq) but after just a split second of seeing how she held a record to cue it up, i knew she was in trouble.

but yah, she had big guns & was really cute... she just had not skill so it's not hard to figure out how she got the gig.. when from like a 94bpm reGAYton track to like Last night, to back down to a crunk joint, then back up to like smack that... shit was horrible! But some dumb promoter thought it would be cool for ladies night to have a female dj. Which I agree on just for kicks, but not when she claims to do stuff all over the US & doesn't even know how to use a club mixer's channel volume knovs or fader.

uugg...

As far as respected females, Shorty & Annalyze (Twice as Nice) will tear any of us in the forum up on the cuts & the skills.. incredible I tell ya! & really sweet people.
CMOS 7:59 PM - 25 April, 2007
yeah but since when is PA in the tri-state area, always thought it was ny, nj, and co?
Thundercat 8:09 PM - 25 April, 2007
Colorado is nowhere near here!

Just ball bustin'. It's the tri-state if you are from Philly. It's NY, NJ, CT for everyone else. We consider Philly just another part of South Jersey. ;-)
sG 8:48 PM - 25 April, 2007
Quote:
Maybe it's time for some of you under-employed male DJ's to give serious consideration to cross-dressing.

See films "Tootsie", "Juwanna Mann", "Sorority Boys" as reference material on this matter.
Dj KaGeN 8:55 PM - 25 April, 2007
you named 3 movies with this subject matter!!!! I'm worried.
D Duff 9:42 PM - 25 April, 2007
I was actually at a jam a couple weeks back and the dj was dropping the most heavy hitter of ol school jams. I make my way up and not only is the DJ running vinyl but its a girl. I was very impressed
DJ Evil One 9:56 PM - 25 April, 2007
dj tina t is legit and dope.
The E Head 7:46 AM - 27 April, 2007
Miss Kitten and Lady Dana are 2 of the best female EDM dj's out there
Beale Dabbs 8:25 AM - 27 April, 2007
We booked my friend J'me J from San Diego for our next playboy mansion party because she: (in this order)

1. Is a damn good DJ and a freakin' encyclopedia of house music.

2. Is smoking hot and has a rockin body.

3. Brings her own go go dancer who is smoking hot.

3. Brings all her hot friends from SD to dance behind her as she spins.

I'd heavily weight it towards item one on my list but you can't argue with the rest. PM me if you want to go to the party. It ain't cheap but it is fun. Very fun.
Nicky Blunt 11:00 AM - 27 April, 2007
Quote:
There are others out there who can hold it down (Killa Jewel also springs to mind).

dj rap used to be dope but since moving to america i never hear her anymore

Killa Jewel is awesome...

there were also two asian dj's on the diy vol 2 that were pretty warm on the cut too.

I think its like male dj's some are better than others it all depends on the,......
level of dedication.

Nothing to do with fitness or cupsize! (although you try to tell the promoters that)
theInFaDeR 5:20 PM - 27 April, 2007
Shortee www.myspace.com
&
Anna www.myspace.com

deff rip shyyt up!
they can rock a party and kill it on the the cutz!
they also work hard non stop on movin forward..

now Tyra www.myspace.com

who i havent seen mentioned yet.. shes a little under the radar but is prob the illest lady i've seen on the cutz and actually spins/spun house which is kinda dope to me and wouldnt be expected for someoe who cutz like that.

I dont think its so fair to put females out like the title of this thread cuz theres some chicks with skillz and a strong hustle.

yeah its deff more appealing to have a fine lady behind the decks.. but like whats said in a the "AM" threads havin skillz to back it up is what really counts at the end of the day.

and if you loose/lost gigs over some wack hot lookin female dj than that should just step your hustle up to prove yourself even more!
Dash Kinetix 5:50 PM - 27 April, 2007
Quote:
and if you loose/lost gigs over some wack hot lookin female dj than that should just step your hustle up to prove yourself even more!
J_Static 7:54 PM - 27 April, 2007
I know some local SF female DJ's who are quite sick.....but if I had to give props to TWO FEMALE DJ's it would be

DJ ICON (Female Breaks DJ), Double Threat- She got skills and She's f*ckin gorgeous

and

DJ Agent A (Female Drum-n-Bass DJ), Same as ICON - Skills, gorgeous with a knockin body!
DJ d.range 9:27 PM - 27 April, 2007
i was replaced at a pretty steady gig by a female dj(who i think cut my throat)satisfaction came when people told me how much better i was

i don't have as much a problem with female DJ's as i do with female rappers

if i go out, its to HEAR the dj & look @ the girls, not the other way around, i don't think girls go out cause the male dj is soooo cute
misterstimulation 11:54 PM - 27 April, 2007
I told a femal e DJ that she would get more bookings b/c she's female -- and its a male dominated thing... Females are a rarity...

She kinda took offense to it, but its true.

Now - I'm not going to go as far sa saying that female DJ's have no skills b/c I just don't beleive that. I know some that suck.. some are ok.. and some are CRAZY!!! -- regardless of their skill level, they're no different than any dude.... EXCEPT for the fact that if they look good - they will get more bookings.

Eh --

Such is life.
I ain't mad.

Worse things could happen.
Get that paper.
DJ GI-NYC 12:11 AM - 28 April, 2007
Man the bottom line is 90% of us men think with our d*cks! so like idiots the male promoters most of the time see a hot chick and she's a dj he is tryna f**k so he'll give her the gig! and 9 out of 10 times the chick dj is basura!Garbage!Lame!

so yes the term "having a vagina will get you more bookings..."

is 1000% sad but true!
DJ d.range 12:13 AM - 28 April, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

not to put anyone on blast,but,i have 3 chicks in mind,just so we're on the same page, PM me, so we can keep them off blast
That Guy 1 3:12 PM - 28 April, 2007
--Symphony, from the Beat Junkies, good dope in the battles I've seen.

--CoCoa Chanelle has always been considered one of the best on NY radio.

Unfortunately, most female DJ's in Atl are some of the worst, but stay busy, especially with lesbian events.
Jordan Laws 3:47 PM - 28 April, 2007
Quote:

Unfortunately, most female DJ's in Atl are some of the worst, but stay busy, especially with lesbian events.

Ill give you that Cocoa is dope I cant beleve she can scratch with those big ass nails. plus when she talks she sounds super femine which I like....Remember years ago when she was the DJ for Teen Sumit on BET im talking like 95 when BET was based outta DC
DJ d.range 8:46 PM - 28 April, 2007
jazzy joyce
young shiz 2:42 PM - 29 April, 2007
Diamond Cuts and DJ Sparkle out of Philly are really sharp.
john blaze 3:24 PM - 29 April, 2007
Yeah Diamond Cuts puts it down on the radio. She cuts, mixes, loops, and her song selection is on point too.
Melissa 5:21 PM - 29 April, 2007
Having a booking agent will also get you more gigs...

Thank you Dash Kinetic for
Quote:
"Don't get bitter, get better".
Nicky Blunt 9:09 AM - 2 May, 2007
does anyone know where I can get a vagina so I can get more bookings? Can I keep it in a box with my records???

Also melissa are you offering to be a booking agent?
Getting one is mad hard!
DJMaytag 9:48 AM - 2 May, 2007
Quote:
Female DJ's that I've seen rock it and are actually good...

2.- DJ Fei Fei
- She's a friend of mine, but she's got some serious skills. She had a Spundae Residency too. She's also been featured on Power Tools on Power 106 several times and has played with many of the world's biggest DJ's.

Hehe, I was thinking about saying something about her too, as she was someone I knew back when we were both in Madison, WI. I was at her very first public gig back in 2003 at Club Majestic and I remember how nervous she was (but still banged it out, despite a few rough mixes). Nice to she that she's done real well for herself out on the left coast from what I see in her emails and MySpace updates.
sweetL 11:23 AM - 3 May, 2007
i have a vagina, i keep it in a coolbox.
That Guy 1 2:36 PM - 3 May, 2007
Quote:

Send pic's.
Nicky Blunt 2:36 PM - 3 May, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Send pic's.

co-sign!
sweetL 2:43 PM - 3 May, 2007
I'll try, its a little maggot-infested tho.
That Guy 1 2:45 PM - 3 May, 2007
Quote:

L: are you a man or a woman? Uh, what were you BORN with?
That Guy 1 2:46 PM - 3 May, 2007
lol
DJ Autograph 3:11 PM - 3 May, 2007
Quote:
jazzy joyce

Eh, Not really a fan to be quite honest. Cocoa has skills on the radio but sometimes I wonder about the records the pull in the club......
DJ Greg J 4:55 PM - 3 May, 2007
Having a vagina will also get you laid easier. Nothing any of us can do about it. It's the facts of life, step up your game.
Nicky Blunt 5:07 PM - 3 May, 2007
Quote:
Having a vagina will also get you laid easier. Nothing any of us can do about it. It's the facts of life, step up your game.

If there is nothing we can do about it how can i step my game up?

I akkready asked where to buy one!

LOL
sweetL 6:02 PM - 3 May, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

L: are you a man or a woman? Uh, what were you BORN with?

im a dude. it was a joke.
DJ Evil One 6:06 PM - 3 May, 2007
i like how you mentioned a vagina and clark was instantly trying to fuck.
sweetL 10:35 PM - 3 May, 2007
Quote:

4real.

in all honesty, i was surprised i had to explain it was a joke. 'i keep it in a coolbox'...

obviously having sweet in my name is giving out the wrong impression, too bad its my surname.
That Guy 1 11:04 PM - 4 May, 2007
Quote:

[ROFL!]
MALIBUKING 1:41 AM - 5 May, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

4real.

in all honesty, i was surprised i had to explain it was a joke. 'i keep it in a coolbox'...

obviously having sweet in my name is giving out the wrong impression, too bad its my surname.

SweetL,

does your name refer to the "sweet" pungent flavor of an "L" or cigar wrapped in fragrant highly potent marijuana?
Melissa 12:25 PM - 5 May, 2007
This thread is hilarious... Am I the only woman contributing?
Yes, I can get laid any day, anytime I want... I can also get more gigs (and roll blunts like a champ malibuking!)
That Guy 1 4:27 PM - 5 May, 2007
Quote:
This thread is hilarious... Am I the only woman contributing?
Yes, I can get laid any day, anytime I want... I can also get more gigs (and roll blunts like a champ malibuking!)

Well, at least you're attractive from your pictures. A promiscuous woman who smokes drugs isn't attractive, though.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 5:11 PM - 5 May, 2007
did someone say maggots?

well, i was takin the trash out last night and saw these rice shaped things crawling inside my trash can,

so i couldn't help but start singing 'wiggle it, just a little bit'
DJ d.range 1:34 AM - 6 May, 2007
hey melissa, just curious, how do u feel about women, who completely lack skills, getting gigs(that good dj's deserve)just because they're hot(or topless)...i know i'd be pissed if some bulked up juice monkey was getting gigs thst a skilled dj deserves, just because he's buff...but hey, i'm a fat bastard...just joined a gym tho
nothing0011 7:15 PM - 7 May, 2007
Quote:
did someone say maggots?

well, i was takin the trash out last night and saw these rice shaped things crawling inside my trash can,

so i couldn't help but start singing 'wiggle it, just a little bit'

Oh christ Mike, clean your damn trash can!
Mr. $weetlife 8:57 PM - 7 May, 2007
Quote:

Clark, where do you live now? Did you move out to NYC?
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 10:58 PM - 7 May, 2007
Beale Dabbs 11:40 PM - 7 May, 2007
Bulky. Floppy.
That Guy 1 1:45 AM - 8 May, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Clark, where do you live now? Did you move out to NYC?

That's a common board joke, now--the question of where I reside.

I'm in Atlanta, right this second, but I'm scheduled for work back in Ft. Lauderdale (MIA) and/or Tupelo, Miss., now.
sweetL 9:54 AM - 8 May, 2007
Quote:
SweetL,

does your name refer to the "sweet" pungent flavor of an "L" or cigar wrapped in fragrant highly potent marijuana?

lol... no

its my surname, almost.