DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Please weigh in on this debate

D Duff 9:16 PM - 23 April, 2007
So I'm having a disagreement with a longtime friend, who is also a fellow SSL forum member. He's saying and hating on my track selection because I can pick the HEATERS out of the new school garbage on the radio. And doubts my recommendations because I genuinely like MIMS "this is why i'm hot"

What are you feelings on Lloyd's new track "Get is Shawty"

Watchwww.youtube.com

I think this RnB track is a certified heater and will probably be up there with the songs of the summer.
Likwid 9:24 PM - 23 April, 2007
matt212 9:27 PM - 23 April, 2007
Yeah, its a track that will get played just because the ladies like it. Its not a certified heater like "You" though. Its more of an early play track to me.
D Duff 9:38 PM - 23 April, 2007
I'm liking this more then I liked "You" out the gate
Thundercat 10:09 PM - 23 April, 2007
I like it. It has some elements from another song that is (was) a guilty indulgence of mine: Pure Imagination by Ford featuring Jori.
George Tunee 10:34 PM - 23 April, 2007
can you post a playlist of yours?
Jay-R 11:12 PM - 23 April, 2007
it works for me some nights.

we've all heard the mash-up with technotronic. kinda corny though.
mister iLL 1:11 AM - 24 April, 2007
sorry, i accidentally threw my computer across the room when i read how you like mims.
Likwid 1:46 PM - 24 April, 2007
Looks like some dont mind it, but nobody's callin it CERTIFIED.
tig ol' bitties 1:55 PM - 24 April, 2007
Quote:
sorry, i accidentally threw my computer across the room when i read how you like mims.

LMAO!
Yeah, that song makes me cringe...

Its aight. I personally like Want You alot, and I am not really a lloyd fan at all.

you know who irritates the ever living ish out of me, the Baka Boyz..god they love HOT TRASH!!
soeasy 2:15 PM - 24 April, 2007
Mims - I did you wrong...after that,
he lost me as a fan but is hopefully
gettin paid and stayin true to himself.
Likwid 2:18 PM - 24 April, 2007
Quote:
Mims - I did you wrong...after that,
he lost me as a fan

Same thing I told Duff.
D Duff 2:23 PM - 24 April, 2007
Quote:

haha, funny thing is in the beginning I almost threw my computer across the room b.c that's how much I like that song.

Its a simply catch track, you have to listen to it knowing that you're not going to be blown away by his lyricism.
tig ol' bitties 2:44 PM - 24 April, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

haha, funny thing is in the beginning I almost threw my computer across the room b.c that's how much I like that song.

Its a simply catch track, you have to listen to it knowing that you're not going to be blown away by his lyricism.

It was catchy like 4 months ago before every station started playin it 50 times a day.
I cant even listed to the reggae remix anymore its so tired to me.
DJJOHNNYM 2:48 PM - 24 April, 2007
Get It Shawty is FIYAH......by today's standards.

Don't sleep.

Personally for me, nah, but for those I DJ for, you can't be without it.
D Duff 3:08 PM - 24 April, 2007
It was catchy like 4 months ago before every station started playin it 50 times a day.
I cant even listed to the reggae remix anymore its so tired to me.

Very true Tig's. its def not as hot as it first was and its played 900,000 times a day which has killed it. But before its oversaturation I thought it was a HOT ass song
D Duff 3:08 PM - 24 April, 2007
Quote:
Get It Shawty is FIYAH......by today's standards.

Don't sleep.

Personally for me, nah, but for those I DJ for, you can't be without it.

That's what I"m talkin about
DJ K-otik 6:53 PM - 24 April, 2007
I like Lloyd's "You," but that may be because I really like Spandau Ballet's "True." Either way, as much as I actually like it, it's not a "heater" to me. It has no energy for me. It's almost 100 bpm, which helps, but it could still clear a dancefloor at 1am. Mims, which is 80 bpm (I don't like most of the sub-85 bpm rap coming out now), gets everyone ON the floor at 1am. The difference - in my opinion - is energy. As slow as that Mims song is, he's just rapping his heart out.

As far as Lloyd's "Get It Shawty," I think it's going to be a heater. The problem with this one, as opposed to "You," is that it may be a little too fast. I use a Bmore version of it, though, so I usually play it with other Bmore.

I don't know about "genuinely lik[ing]" Mims' "This is Why I'm Hot," though. Even if I give it a pass for lyrical content, I don't like the beat. But it's a good example of the music industry pushing its agenda. If the industry wants to make somebody a star, they definitely can.
twinsouls 8:34 PM - 24 April, 2007
talk about sleeping...
www.scratchlive.net
djaction 8:54 PM - 24 April, 2007
Quote:
because I genuinely like MIMS "this is why i'm hot"

I'm sorry but this is all I was able to read in your post.
JACKMASTER 4:29 AM - 25 April, 2007
I had this song back in January and was convinced it was going to blow up as well. It never really took off tho. Its hard to work in to my set... People definitely do feel the song tho.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:45 AM - 25 April, 2007
Biggest problem is that there is no (or few) current new Urban Tracks that will mix with it. It's also kinda laid back and at about 127bpm, what other heaters will blend with it that's not too old (Missy or Sexyback)?

Great for a bridge to some old school to work up to some Miami Bass or Ghetto tech.

I like to mix it with Lathun's Freak It.
shiestO! 2:55 PM - 25 April, 2007
i do not believe that there are any "heaters" out on the radio today, and no amount of arguing will change that.

satellite radio has more quality music... but i still want to be in control and rock only my cd's with what i think are heaters.

i'd agree with your friend man.
D Duff 3:09 PM - 25 April, 2007
Quote:
I had this song back in January and was convinced it was going to blow up as well. It never really took off tho. Its hard to work in to my set... People definitely do feel the song tho.

I'm up in Toronto, and it seems to be building up some steam here now.
D Duff 3:12 PM - 25 April, 2007
Quote:
i do not believe that there are any "heaters" out on the radio today, and no amount of arguing will change that.

satellite radio has more quality music... but i still want to be in control and rock only my cd's with what i think are heaters.

i'd agree with your friend man.

the industry obviously doesn't produce HEATERS like it did back in the day but like someone said earlier in this thread, its a heater by today's standards. That's my point here. Its one of the better songs that is out now.
George Tunee 3:21 PM - 25 April, 2007
Am i happy i don't have to play out crap like that..by industry standards
djqt 9:47 PM - 28 April, 2007
get it shawty iz a fiya track remix wit missy yungjoc even more so.
but definently a challenge findin a current song that mixes with it.
George Tunee 12:25 PM - 29 April, 2007
You can mix some dancehall with it
DJ FLATLINE 2:05 PM - 30 April, 2007
Get creative with the get it shawty instrumental and play the "ice box" acapella...FIRE right there too!!

I know I'm gonna hear this on somebody's demo or mix-tape...lol
dJ bMaN 8:10 AM - 2 May, 2007
It goes well with Ciara's get up, Fergie's glamorous, or if you wanna take it back, Ghost-town dj's my boo. I also take it back with Soundmaster T's dance too much booty in the pants....only a snippet though. Oh and by the way the ONLY version of Mims' song that I play is the reggae version.
Nicky Blunt 12:31 PM - 2 May, 2007
Mims = recycle bin!
D Duff 4:54 PM - 2 May, 2007
I heard it mixed with Rihanna & Sean Paul's new tune.

it was a mix that someone posted on this board