Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Waveforms have a gentle shake

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
SHOOK 6:06 PM - 23 April, 2007
I searched for this and couldnt find this issue addressed...

My specs:

2.0Ghz Macbook
1GB RAM
osx 10.4.9
SSL 1.7.1

Problem:

waveforms, as they scroll up, have a slight shake to them... its not studdering, its not jumping.

the closest i can describe it is... it looks like if you have your bass up high in your car, and the rear view mirror is shaking

had a friend in the netherlands test it and his does the same thing.... we have similar specs but his has 2GB RAM

anyone else have this issue?

well its not an ISSUE issue... cause it doesn't affect the sound... but its a bit annoying
SHOOK 6:09 PM - 23 April, 2007
oh and another thing..

it almost seemed rhythmic(meaning seemed to go with the beat on the kick drum)

but i could be wrong and maybe it was just a coincidence. dunno

thanks in advance
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:43 PM - 23 April, 2007
Does increasing the USB audio buffer setting, lowering the maximum screen updates, or raising the audio cache have any affect?
SHOOK 7:00 PM - 23 April, 2007
nothing sir
SHOOK 7:04 PM - 23 April, 2007
^^^^ meaning: i tried the adjustments... nothing changed
SHOOK 7:44 PM - 23 April, 2007
ill take a video a little bit later.....

so i can show ya...
groovex 8:17 PM - 23 April, 2007
I'm the friend in the netherlands and can confirm it - adjustments like lowering the screen updates just makes things worse.
groovex 1:21 AM - 12 May, 2007
bump - still have the same problems!!
DJ Icce 5:43 AM - 14 May, 2007
yup i know what your talking about, it happens mostly or only with macs, i had a sony vaio and didnt have that problem but i jus got a macbook pro 2.33ghz 2gb ram and i get that and it is very annoying
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:50 PM - 16 May, 2007
Groove.. what version of SSL are you running?
Playdope 2:56 PM - 16 June, 2007
I have the same problem with my Macbook as well??

Anyone know what the deal is??

I've made several Adjustmensts but still the same Shake, and the waveforms seems to flow alot smoother on my PC and not so smooth on my mac ??
Rane, Support
Shaun W 3:27 PM - 18 June, 2007
Quote:
what version of SSL are you running?
The Little Trooper 11:07 PM - 18 June, 2007
I am getting the same thing. Just switched from PC to Mac also.

Macbook Pro 2.16 / 1GB / 120GB / 320 GB External Firewire / SSL 1.7.2 final
JE 8:52 AM - 19 June, 2007
I am having this problem too, on PC though. V high speed with 2 gb ram. I thought it was my eyes being weird but its as described above. Makes it very difficult to look closely at waveforms. Running version 1.7.2 but this problem was also apparent in version 1.7.1
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:06 PM - 19 June, 2007
Thanks for the confirmation :)

I'll report this and ask the Serato developers to further look into it.

Thanks for the help :)
Serato
Josh 2:56 AM - 20 June, 2007
Hi guys, this is a known issue which we're addressing in a future release. Thanks for the info :-)

Josh
DjKidblast 5:38 PM - 20 June, 2007
I was just about to sell out on my mac!!
DJDFECT 6:31 PM - 20 June, 2007
Quote:
I am getting the same thing. Just switched from PC to Mac also.

Macbook Pro 2.16 / 1GB / 120GB / 320 GB External Firewire / SSL 1.7.2 final

I have macbook 2 gig ram core 2 duo 80 gig internal/160gig external ssl 1.7.2 with technics 1200's, m447's, and usb buffer setting to 2. Lots of shaking.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:13 PM - 20 June, 2007
I have a Macbook 2Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, buffer setting of 2, using version 1.7.2, and I don't have any shaking?
Runs perfectly.
DjKidblast 10:00 PM - 20 June, 2007
I dont see how this can be seen as a mac problem as a few people have mentioned that is has happened on other laptops and PCs. And also my mac is only a 1.3Ghz and it runs perfectly.
However ive only had my serato for a week.
mastasun 10:39 PM - 20 June, 2007
Just started having the same problem occur today didn't happen last night durring my set but began jittering a little this morning and I have a huge music festival I am playing at this weekend with two hours sets I hope this is not going to effect the sound
vio0633 11:42 PM - 20 June, 2007
Im on a PC and this happens to me alot when im pushing a record fwrd.
A2thaG 11:53 PM - 21 June, 2007
started mixing this morning and the waveform and track shakes. didn't do this last night. when i stop the record the signal still is shaking, and also when i even take off the needle. when i throw in the record, everything cool until i stop the record, it happens again. why?
JE 8:51 AM - 22 June, 2007
I did some testing with a friend's setup. To confirm, the problem had nothing to do with the scratch box and nothing to do with the version of the software. His Mac setup (mine is PC) had the exact same 'shakes', despite a different scratch box and a different version. The shaking occurs mostly during tracks that are full with tight drums and basslines.. more noticeable on faster tracks too. I think its been there the whole time but once you notice it, it becomes more and more annoying and difficult to ignore.