DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Franchise Record Pool

Gamble 2:10 PM - 19 April, 2007
Flex's pool seems like a good deal for all that you get every month, but what format is the music in? Can you get mp3's exclusively? Anyone know?

Gamble
Gamble 3:25 AM - 20 April, 2007
Anyone?
djknyce 12:57 PM - 20 April, 2007
i didnt even know he had a pool, post a link
Gamble 2:00 PM - 20 April, 2007
Its been around forever, but they don't say how they service these days on the site:
www.franchiserecordpool.com
DJ Daffy 7:17 PM - 21 April, 2007
There is a Serato logo on the left side of the page so you gotta assume digital but I agree $50 on a guess would kind of suck
nik39 9:04 PM - 22 April, 2007
They changed their format a few months ago :-(

It was quite a cool pool before, not very cheap, but they had good stuff. Unfortunately it went more and more towards the south sound which I am not a big fan. But they also had some Dilated, Gangstarr etc. stuff from time to time.

Man, I kinda miss those good ol vinyl times. :-/
Gamble 2:22 AM - 23 April, 2007
haha I hear you nik.

I got an email back from the guy today - I think I will sign up...

Hey DJ Gamble,
Thank you for your interest in the Franchise Record Pool. The answer
to your question is yes. We deal strictly with mp3s and you will have
instant access to your record bin to start downloading immediately
after successfully signin up with a credit card. Once you are signed
up we will send out a double DVD set with all the backlog music we
released to the pool from our launch back in september last year. This
means you get caught up instantly and you never loose out on any
tracks. Plus you will have access to our newly released "Digging in
the crates room" where you will find old school stuff you might be
looking for or have on vinyl but don't have to the time to convert. We
add about 10 tracks every week in this room. There is also another
room where you will find some remixes/party breaks as they become
available. Last but certainly not least, we have recently formed an
exclusive partnership with one of the hottest online radio station
where members only will have the opportunity to showcase their skills
to the world by hosting their own mixshow which could be aired at the
time you choose. You will simply do your mix show from your studio and
send it in. It's that simple. You have to agree that you get alot for
your money by becoming a member. Hope to see you on board. Take care
djbriguy 2:23 AM - 11 August, 2007
So its $19.99 a month? it looks like a one time fee when you go to apply
pt spinna 4:41 AM - 11 August, 2007
they are really good with exculsives and reggae riddim and such... they also will send soem dvd's of the back long stuff you've missed since a year ago
djbriguy 4:15 PM - 11 August, 2007

=)
lvmez 4:56 PM - 11 August, 2007
i might join. it looks pretty good. i'm a member of djcity and 8th wonder. it doesn't say what the quality of the mp3 is. does anyone know?
nik39 4:58 PM - 11 August, 2007
The quality varies.
lvmez 7:12 PM - 11 August, 2007
as long as it's higher than 192kps.
pt spinna 9:57 PM - 11 August, 2007
usually 320.. mostly on the riddims. but all around great quality, be careful a lot of sites get the same tracks passed around once they get them from another site or label
nik39 3:43 AM - 12 August, 2007
Usally 320 is not true.

All around great quality is not true either.
DeezNotes 8:06 AM - 12 August, 2007
Quote:
Usally 320 is not true.

All around great quality is not true either.

This is true. I know there has been some discussion on this where they send us what the labels send them, but if there's a song that has a clean, dirty and instrumental... why are all 3 or 2 of the 3 a different bitrate? They definitely send out some 128's at times. The files don't sound bad, but it's weird when the other files are at higher bitrates. It makes me want to use the files I get from other sources once I get duplicates... especially when they are handing out 128s.

Feedback is mandatory on some tracks after you download. This was a problem for me, because I lost a gang of tracks I downloaded which I couldn't review. They offered to send them to me on a DVD, but I never received it. I wound up listening to those songs from other sources to give a review to get tracks again (when you log back on, you can't download until you review all tracks that need reviewing).
DeezNotes 6:05 PM - 25 September, 2007
They have house music now. But I found a lil something in the tags...
dj cubicle 6:50 PM - 25 September, 2007
Do tell...
DeezNotes 7:08 PM - 25 September, 2007
I don't want to put them on blast just yet. I'd like to see if anyone else can see what I see. Only one of two programs I use picked it up.
dj cubicle 7:10 PM - 25 September, 2007
Exactly what I thought. ;-)
De LA 7:28 PM - 25 September, 2007
picked what up in the tags? At least PM it to me. I was considering using them...
DJ amazon 4:51 PM - 1 October, 2007
I also seen it in the tags,its with the hip hop music too.....and the funny thing is they try to put other pools on blast for the same thing.....I belong to a few mp3 pools ,and I still do,but the one I use the most has to be www.djspinit.com not only is the price right,they have by far the most music of all the pools.....if you check them out tell them I sent ya,he might give you the golden ticket with all the old school joints right away instead of making you wait the 2 months....uno
DJ Sniffles 4:55 PM - 1 October, 2007
Im with djcity but thinking of going franchise now that im in nyc. djcity caters more to west coast djs as franchise caters to the east. but that 8th world wonder is looking good bow that they got the old school section. ill have to check out that djspinit too
DeezNotes 5:07 PM - 1 October, 2007
djspinit seems to have a nice variety of music (even Baltimore club). Not to mention it's only $10/mo.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:42 PM - 1 October, 2007
Quote:

So how much is Franchise? Is it $19.99 or does it go up?

Quote:
They have house music now. But I found a lil something in the tags...

Hmmm, what did you see in the tags, I am curious now. PM me with what you found if you don't wanna slander them in public.
dj cubicle 5:46 PM - 1 October, 2007
slander = "oral", libel = "written"

libel ~ library ~ books ~ written down

at least that's how i remember it. :)

oh, and PM me too. ;-)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:48 PM - 1 October, 2007
Also (just for BriGuy who put me on blast for almost advertising), I have officially joined www.idjpool.com and so far I am very happy (site is updated FINALLY! so i don't look like an asshole).

He's new and still a little rough around the edges but has all the urban plus more commercial Dance and House than most. ALL 320 bit digital- no vinyl rips, plus he has HAD a classics area in place just like franchise is NOW doing.

How come when franchise does it IT'S NEWS but when my pool (who was new) did it he was a pirate and a thief? LOL.

Anyway, $50 per month - unlimited downloads - no serious FEEDBACK hassle.

Top Dance Downloads last week: www.idjpool.com
Top Urban Downloads last week: www.idjpool.com

He's new as a digital pool and a old friend of mine. Feel free to PM me with more questions.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:52 PM - 1 October, 2007
Quote:
slander = "oral", libel = "written"

libel ~ library ~ books ~ written down

at least that's how i remember it. :)

oh, and PM me too. ;-)

Earning that law education huh Cube?

LOL.

Okay, I'll keep it street -

...put 'dem fuckers on Blast
... pull they "hoe card'
... bitch 'em out

Shall I continue?
dj cubicle 5:55 PM - 1 October, 2007
LOL.....actually.... :-/ I'm pretty sure I bombed the LSAT on Saturday.

I had my girl come over just so I'd have someone else there to make sure I woke up at 6am to leave for the damn thing. Couldn't sleep. Bed, couch, bed, couch, bed, couch, nothing worked. The first two sections of the test are still kind of a blur and when I got home afterwards I cashed out for 7 hours.

Thinking about writing them and having them not score it. I'll have to take it again, but it's better than averaging a good score with a bad one.
Big K 6:14 PM - 1 October, 2007
Man what could be in the tag PM me also
lvmez 8:07 PM - 1 October, 2007
8thwonder reord pool is one of the best. for the money it can't be beat. i still like djcity but 8th wonder is dope and they have an old school list also.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:25 AM - 2 October, 2007
I am still thinking about joining DJCity for a minute to check out the PRE BUILT SERATO cues and files plus the Intros and some of the exclusive Trash Ups seem nice.

On DJCity are the Serato pre builds are cue points set too. I hate to join for $90/3 months and still have to do some work- LOL.
DJ Sniffles 4:59 AM - 13 October, 2007
Breathe..1,2,3 CLEAR!!!! *ZAP*

It's revived doctor...the thread is revived!!!!

So...I've been on franchise for about 3 weeks now and.....

i like the diggin in the crates...and i love the search function, and being able to juss check crates by genre
i also like that once you download the track its gone.... all you see is what you dont have yet but......

wtf??? its like all the music is new york street shit. i mean i can vibe to the shit when i'm chillin at home or walkin down the street with my mp3 player or whatever but....

this aint shit to play in the club.

well....djcity, i'm coming back.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:14 AM - 13 October, 2007
Quote:
Breathe..1,2,3 CLEAR!!!! *ZAP*

It's revived doctor...the thread is revived!!!!

So...I've been on franchise for about 3 weeks now and.....

i like the diggin in the crates...and i love the search function, and being able to juss check crates by genre
i also like that once you download the track its gone.... all you see is what you dont have yet but......

wtf??? its like all the music is new york street shit. i mean i can vibe to the shit when i'm chillin at home or walkin down the street with my mp3 player or whatever but....

well....djcity, i'm coming back.

Was the the first of the Pool Reviews to end the discussion of Record pools?

scratchlive.net

LOL...
DJ Sniffles 6:56 AM - 13 October, 2007
no.... not the review, but this is gonna be added in it for sure. geezus....i'm disappointed
Gor 9:28 AM - 13 October, 2007
I feel ya sniffles, also franchise should take a page out of djcity's book and do previews. I dont wanna download a whole pile of songs only to open them and realize they're all crap.
bourbonstmc 9:35 AM - 13 October, 2007
Quote:

=)

Good question...Bueller...anyone...Bueller?
Gor 10:37 AM - 13 October, 2007
haha classic
nik39 1:50 PM - 13 October, 2007
Quote:

Gotta agree, lately franchise is adding more and more tracks, more and more bullshit.

However, I think they still have all the needed club tracks which djcity also has. Except for the dj friendly versions, which is not a biggi for me.
DJ Sniffles 3:03 PM - 13 October, 2007
definately
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:18 PM - 13 October, 2007
Quote:

i also like that once you download the track its gone.... all you see is what you dont have yet but.......

How is the Diggin' In The Crates as far as Hip Hop and Rap and 90's R&B? Is there quite a bit up there yet (they said they were adding about 10 tracks per week). Also what is the bit rate on most of the classics?

My DJ partner for mobiles somehow got some of this stuff and the quality sucks. Some of my stuff is at 192k or less (some is 64k) and most of it is vinyl Rips from crappy vinyl.

I'm more than tight on all the new stuff but thinking of joining for a minute to grab some better quality tracks of the classics but I wanna wait until it is worthwhile. Plus I wanna see what the hype is about Franchise.

One Final question...

Quote:

Anybody gonna answer that?
DJ Sniffles 3:23 PM - 13 October, 2007
not a one time fee, they will charge you every month until you cancel, which isnt hard to find. Cancel membership is one click away at all times
DJ Sniffles 3:26 PM - 13 October, 2007
as far a diggin in the crates....i haven't seen anything under 192k. they update 10 tracks a week and they range from UTFO to Wu Tang, but it is mostly hip hop.

all of this is going to be in my report
nik39 3:36 PM - 13 October, 2007
Quote:
How is the Diggin' In The Crates as far as Hip Hop and Rap and 90's R&B? Is there quite a bit up there yet (they said they were adding about 10 tracks per week)

On Franchise? They add like 10 tracks a month, maybe three weeks, but definitly not per week.
bourbonstmc 10:28 PM - 13 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
How is the Diggin' In The Crates as far as Hip Hop and Rap and 90's R&B?

How much stuff is on the DVD's and in the "Diggin' In The Crates? Is the back catalog worth signing up for a month?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:50 PM - 13 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
How is the Diggin' In The Crates as far as Hip Hop and Rap and 90's R&B? Is there quite a bit up there yet (they said they were adding about 10 tracks per week)

On Franchise? They add like 10 tracks a month, maybe three weeks, but definitly not per week.

I am also wondering if the "Hit and Quit" method is worth it for the old stuff instead of ripping and/or re-buying some of the classic Hip Hip that I don't have yet (or getting it at a better bitrate). Is it more than 100 tracks so far (Instrumetals?) If so it may be worthwhile.

Damn just noticed this too:

All tracks are SERATO READY. This means they are fully tagged, bpm'd and all overviews are built. (Because this is a new feature older tracks will not contain these feature).

I forgot about that DVD too. Hmmm.. maybe not:

Receive a 3 DVD set of backlog music you might have missed prior to joining. Even though we only keep a month worth of music uploaded, you don't miss a beat because you get caught up to speed with this backlog set.

Quote:
not a one time fee, they will charge you every month until you cancel, which isnt hard to find. Cancel membership is one click away at all times

Yeah that was 1/2 a joke, but someone once said that the $19.99 was a Introductory special and the price may go up after a while. Just want to make sure they were holding at $19.99 per month.
DJ Sniffles 12:16 AM - 14 October, 2007
u only get the song in diggin in the crates. it is worth to juss rip ur vinyl. if u have djcity, franchise, and an edm pool (i currently don't know of any) ud be set for fresh tracks on all aspects. I wish franchise had the same layout as djcity. I think whitelabels layout is perfect. very easy and simple to pick what u want without clutter and no extra windows to open to preview and download
eric0671 3:54 PM - 13 December, 2007
Suggesstion.... How about sending an email to the coordinator to request some diggin in the creates titles? I'm sure Flex can supply whatever you request, if within reason and if the demand is high. Hey, it's still inexpensive and safer than file sharing....not to mention LEGAL!!!!

Happy Promoting....