DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Turntable Lab will not carry the Stanton ST.150

DJ Shep 7:34 PM - 18 April, 2007
Anybody know why?

I asked Turntable Lab about the differences between the Stanton ST.150 and the Technics 1210 M5G. Our email correspondence went like this:

Turntable Lab:

"Hi. We choose not to carry the Stanton ST.150 at this time. There are no major differences between the Technics 1210 M5G and the Stanton ST.150. The ST.150 the key features which separate the two besides there names is the torque. Stanton torques goes up to 78 rpms. Other features are reverse playback, selectable pitch control, and digital out. The S-shaped tone-arm provides for betting skip resistance, Majority of these features are not needed in the professional world of DJing. The Technics provide brand name and reassurance, while Stanton provides some what of an uncertainty as a lot of the time its miss or hit with there products. They offer numerous features but lack in overall quality of a product. Stanton with no problems last up to five years, while a Technics can stay in the same shape for over a decade. Thanks."

Me:

"Thank you for responding to my email. If you are allowed to say, could you please tell me why TurntableLab decided not to carry the ST.150? I will probably end up getting a pair of M5Gs, but I just wanted to know why the Lab carries the ST.120, but not the ST.150. Thanks."

Turntable Lab:

"Hi. We are not allowed to disclose the reason for Turntable Lab not carrying the ST.150. Thanks."

I thought that this was pretty interesting. Anybody have an idea why the Lab will not carry the Stanton ST.150, but does carry other Stanton turntables?

Thanks.
Mr. Goodkat 7:43 PM - 18 April, 2007
contractual obligations, or it maybe that the 2 tt's compete in the same price range, and they don't feel that they can sell enough to warrant having both in stock.
Dj KaGeN 7:58 PM - 18 April, 2007
what a load of shit... they 2 decks are NOT comparable at all.. Typical reseller with their heads firmly planted up their ass and and in bias to 'tech' mode. Feature for feature do your own comparison, you will find the Stanton deck to have feature Techs have wet dreams over. And by the way that deck, the 1210 M5G my least favorite, played on a fuct one at a club and the other working was nothing to write home about, def not worth the money. The regular Techs are better.. save your money or get the STRAIGHT ARM STR8-150 - why the hell do you need a curved one? Top of the line decks by other manufacturers are all straight arm - perhaps they're on to something.
Mr. Goodkat 8:15 PM - 18 April, 2007
i love the MK5g's, the pitch is much better than any other tech
shiestO! 8:22 PM - 18 April, 2007
^^ how is the 1210 m5g your least favorite? it's got the increased pitch control +-8/+-16 and no lock on the pitch slider in the middle. what other technics deck has that feature? ? ?
Dj KaGeN 8:40 PM - 18 April, 2007
yep, Stanton has had better pitch control for years.... I'm not comparing antiquated tech technology against more hyped antiquated tech technology. I opened my eyes to other vendors. I still own Techs, they're setup so you cry baby's can actually come over and play on them, saves me a lot of money on tissues for all the tears squirted when you didn't see your precious 'Industry Standard' before you. But I mobile with the STR8-150's and I do not pack tissues and it seems most people cannot see the screen with tears in their eyes and I get more deck time. LOL
DJ Shep 9:11 PM - 18 April, 2007
Quote:
yep, Stanton has had better pitch control for years.... I'm not comparing antiquated tech technology against more hyped antiquated tech technology. I opened my eyes to other vendors. I still own Techs, they're setup so you cry baby's can actually come over and play on them, saves me a lot of money on tissues for all the tears squirted when you didn't see your precious 'Industry Standard' before you. But I mobile with the STR8-150's and I do not pack tissues and it seems most people cannot see the screen with tears in their eyes and I get more deck time. LOL

Hilarious!
DJ Evil One 9:19 PM - 18 April, 2007
stanton sucks. i had one of their mixers, and they overlooked having a loud enough headphone cue to use the mixer in the club. their headphones break easily. the sound quality sucks.

any real djs will tell you that they'd prefer techs over stantons. it's as simple as that.
Dj KaGeN 9:34 PM - 18 April, 2007
Had to pull the 'real' card... That's a pretty weak argument, "since the headphones and mixers suck - everything sucks".Have you ever personally used STR8-150's?? Didn't think so, or you'd have a much better come back with empierical evidence why a deck with more torque and options would suck compared to the outdated technology you stand behind.
DJ Evil One 9:38 PM - 18 April, 2007
kagen-

i don't really compare "torque"...

i do compare reliability...and my techs have been going ten years strong. my girl bought some used ones from the 80s that work like a top too. with DJing, quality is of the utmost importance to me...

it's like buying a car...if you bought a chrysler car and it broke down a ton, and then you were in a market for a truck, wouldn't your past experience influence your decision?

so actually, my argument is a pretty strong one...everthing i've used from that company was a piece of shit, from the needles to the headphones to the mixers...
Dj KaGeN 9:48 PM - 18 April, 2007
Evil one, I really do not care what decks you play, and for that matter it's here nor there - but criticizing without any knowledge or experience of the deck in question doesn't speak highly of you.

Reliability of a Tech vs. Stanton, well this is a clear winner since the Stanton has not been on the market for 10 years. I bought 5 months after they came out - so 3 years going strong. I'll let you know in 7 how they're doing. I know your speculation.

Now, would you also like to comment why Technics doesn't add such features that are now becoming common to the other manufacturers (like the Stanton & Vestax). Why have so many of you had to mod your deck just to get reverse? Recent addition to the mM5G - Adjustable stop break? Key Corection, line out, adj start ... ya you're missing a few toys and Tevch just added Long life blue LED needle light - such the COPY CATS.
DJ Evil One 9:56 PM - 18 April, 2007
haha...that's dope you're calling techs copy cats. you're funny.

honestly, i don't need my turntables to go backwards, i don't care how they brake...i just care if i can mix on them without having to look and i can on techs...

and i'll be damned if i show up at a club and they have anything other than techs.
Dj KaGeN 10:27 PM - 18 April, 2007
yep - you're riding in the chrysler that has done you well, so other cats like the NEWER sports cars with all the bells and whistles. You may not need them, but if did have them, surely you'd play with them. You're just scared you're going to get clowned, grow a backbone. Thanks for playing... NEXT.
dj_soo 10:51 PM - 18 April, 2007
as a club/rave/performance DJ, i generally despise bringing my gear anywhere (save for my efx and maybe a mixer) so chances are 95% of my gigs will have techs (actually, i've haven't spun at a gig that haven't been using techs in 5 years).

My concern would be that I'll get too used to using all those fancy features and I'll have all these routines that I want to play but can't when I actually get to the club. As a mobile dj, i'm sure it wouldn't be an issue tho...

It would be nice to see a few more features on the tech12s tho...
Dj KaGeN 10:59 PM - 18 April, 2007
and again, getting used to something forces everyone in to panic mode when change is near. Evil & dj soo - With this psychology on the table, I certainly hope the car you drive and own right now is the same till you leave this earth. Care to revise this sort of lame duck excuse or mentality. Riding a different pedal bike didn't cause you to crash - hell the both of are sounding like you're riding a girl bike actually.
Dj KaGeN 11:00 PM - 18 April, 2007
just pulling your chain..... bored at work.
DJ Evil One 11:02 PM - 18 April, 2007
kagen-

your analogy is off...

like i said, stanton has proven to me time and time again to make shitty products, which is why i myself will never own another one of their products. simple as that.
Dj KaGeN 11:16 PM - 18 April, 2007
but you stated your experience with a mixer and headphones, later you spoke of their needles, which I may validate you on some of those (some of the needles not so much though). But yet now have the association that ALL products even ones you have no experience with to be classified as "sucks". You stand behind your debate of guilty by association, and I'm merely here saying that this IS NOT a valid belittle this deck or others in their line. I still own STR-80's - they still work and they're nearing 7, maybe 8 years old. I have owned 7 Stanton decks total, they're not as shitty as you make them out to be. And the 80's even had more features 7 years ago, but a very noticeable difference in torque.
DJMark 11:24 PM - 18 April, 2007
The biggest reason not to use Stanton's turntables (besides the company's questionable-at-best reputation): the platters have no damping on any of the units I've seen, which makes them much more prone to sound-coloration and feedback in a loud club environment. The Technics turntable platters have damping on the underside, which helps stop the platter from resonating.
Dj KaGeN 11:36 PM - 18 April, 2007
You're the first to mention this angle about resonance. The only place I even found anything regarding resonance resiliency was from a website that looked like it was born in the early 80's. With the STR8-150 tipping 10 pounds heavier in over all weight, improved needle tracking with much more dampening ability in the feet, I'd venture to say that unless you can find me some sort of side by side comparison that this is a very mute point.
Mr. Goodkat 11:53 PM - 18 April, 2007
kagen likes his Stanton's!!! But really, lets say they are better, how many clubs are going to have them? At most probably .01%.
Dj KaGeN 12:08 AM - 19 April, 2007
tru, I like my Stantons. But as a poor kid starting out, they worked and they were cheap. I didn't start at the 'so called' top with Techs. I researched every step of the way and found Techs to be a standard, but lacking in features. I can change from deck to deck without issue, be it Gemini - Stanton - Tech - Vestax - I don't care. MOST of you cannot say the same. I'm not really standing up for Stanton - I saying Techs aren't the best and just arriving here saying that EVERYTHING else sucks is PURE IGNORANCE. I'd be thrilled to see a new Tech that can boast ALL the features of other decks, not likely.
DJMark 12:08 AM - 19 April, 2007
Quote:
You're the first to mention this angle about resonance. The only place I even found anything regarding resonance resiliency was from a website that looked like it was born in the early 80's. With the STR8-150 tipping 10 pounds heavier in over all weight, improved needle tracking with much more dampening ability in the feet, I'd venture to say that unless you can find me some sort of side by side comparison that this is a very mute point.

I've used them in a loud club: they resonated. Horribly. All you need to do is pull the platter off, and verify there's no damping underneath. I don't need any side-by-side comparison to verify what I've experienced. Most of the so-called "reviews" of DJ equipment I've seen are completely useless anyway (way too much slack is given to junk gear).

There's a lot more to proper anti-resonant turntable design than mere weight.

And I believe you meant "moot point".
Dj KaGeN 12:14 AM - 19 April, 2007
You sparked my curiousity - I'm going on a platter pulling mission this evening. And I stand corrected, moot is what I was after, damn spell check talked me in to mute (lol).
DJMark 12:50 AM - 19 April, 2007
Quote:
You sparked my curiousity - I'm going on a platter pulling mission this evening.

Sounds good. Now that I think of it, you don't even need to pull off the platters...if you have a Technics 1200 to compare to, just pull the slipmats off both platters, and tap the platters with something reasonably heavy (plastic screwdriver handle would work). If your Stanton platters are like the ones I've used, they'll "bong" like a bell. The Technics platters aren't perfectly non-resonant, but have much less of a problem with it.
Julls 2:30 AM - 19 April, 2007
I have played on the STR8-150's many times, and all I can say is those decks are SOLID!!!
Niro 4:55 AM - 19 April, 2007
Haha, this thread is funny, didn't read all of it, too long.

My thoughts on the matter, Stanton consistently builds crappy stuff. They have great ideas and concepts, but when it's time to produce they always skimp out in the end. Look at the SA (focus's mixer) that thing would have been a dream, seperate program outs, auto cue..... but in the end stanton ended up using crappy parts and made the mixer suck.

I have played on a few stanton turntables and yes they were bad. I know some of the newer ones are OMed, so you can get the same turntable with a different brand name on it (citron, american dj...) So the aboved mentioned turntables may be alright.

I prefer 1210G's because they are solid. The bells and whisles of the other turntables are not fully needed. A straight arm will wear out your vinyl unevenly and will wear it out faster. And who plays in reverse? I rarely mix anything pass +-5%, unless I'm scratching, which I will go -16%. And the torque, too much torque makes the platter jerky. I'm sure you just get use to mixing on it, but why get use to mixing on something when 99% of the gigs you play will use a 1200.

All in all it's all about preferance, it's an opinion so no one's right or wrong.

I like girls with medium tits, but I've run into a few dudes that are into small tits and a majority of dudes like big ol titties. Everyone likes different shit and some doods like shit also, but that's another thread.

S
dj_soo 6:29 AM - 19 April, 2007
meh, i never said that the STR8-150 were crap - actually, i hear they're pretty solid. I'm also not afraid of change (I bought serato didn't I?).

My biggest concern is I don't want to come up with some sick routines that I can only do on my home tables. That means I'd have to start bringing my own gear to all of my gigs which honestly, i often don't get paid enough to that :-\. Besides, the main reason i got serato was to bring *less* stuff to a show :).
DJ GaFFle 1:39 PM - 19 April, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
You sparked my curiousity - I'm going on a platter pulling mission this evening.

Sounds good. Now that I think of it, you don't even need to pull off the platters...if you have a Technics 1200 to compare to, just pull the slipmats off both platters, and tap the platters with something reasonably heavy (plastic screwdriver handle would work). If your Stanton platters are like the ones I've used, they'll "bong" like a bell. The Technics platters aren't perfectly non-resonant, but have much less of a problem with it.

True dat...

I run with the M5G's but IF I were to try another TT, the STR150 (S-shape) would be my choice. It has a nice appearance and looks of quality. I'm not feeling the toyish-looking "Stanton" blue/grey logo on the face though.
DJ Shep 1:55 PM - 19 April, 2007
This is pure speculation on my part, but if Technics has contracts with resellers like Turntable Lab that tells them to not stock the Stanton ST.150 or STR8.150, then that makes Technics looks like they do not have confidence in their product. Is Technics afraid that consumers will choose the ST.150 or STR8.150 instead of their turntable?

Someone could argue that from a business standpoint Technics makes resellers sign contracts just to make extra sure that people choose their turntables. However, I think that focusing their energy on making contracts with resellers makes Technics and their "industry standard" position look vulnerable. Technics could easily wipe out every competitor once and for all by adding something as simple as detachable RCAs to their turntables, but I guess it's easier to just force resellers to sign their contracts.

What doesn't make sense though is that I think most resellers carry the ST.150 as well as all of the Technics turntables. Also, Turntable Lab carries top of the line Vestax and Numark turntables. Are those turntables not considered as much of a threat to Technics?

I wish I knew why Turntable Lab is "not allowed to disclose the reason" they will not carry the ST.150.
DJ Shep 2:02 PM - 19 April, 2007
Quote:

I run with the M5G's but IF I were to try another TT, the STR150 (S-shape) would be my choice. It has a nice appearance and looks of quality. I'm not feeling the toyish-looking "Stanton" blue/grey logo on the face though.

I might be wrong, but in this pic it looks like the big logo is only on their slipmat:

www.stantondj.com

The smaller logo that is actually on the turntable doesn't bother me as much this:

www.stantondj.com

The ST.120 is a straight up Fisher Price looking turntable. LOL.
s42000 4:07 PM - 19 April, 2007
Anything with "stanton" in its name ... I do NOT want ... dont care if comes with a coffee maker or nut massager.
mister iLL 1:27 PM - 20 April, 2007
it's perfectly fair to stop buying pproducts from a company after a few of them prove faulty. even if you're shopping for a different product than the ones that failed. as a kid, i had two radios from Sharp that completely stopped working after a short time. a few years later, i had a microwave and a tv from them that broke prematurely. as a result, i have never purchased another product from sharp. people say that their lcd tv's are pretty much the best out there..still, when it was tiome for me to buy a tv, i didn't even consider them.

companies' reputations are based on performance. sure, maybe stanton's tt's are great. but if you have already bought several stanton products and been disappointed, why would you continue to give them chances, especially on increasingly more expensive products? it just doesn't make sense. i can fully understand why people simply refuse to buy stanton gear (and i'm one of them; i had a sa-12 mixer and several other items that were all crap).
Maskrider 2:51 PM - 20 April, 2007
Technics turntables may not be the Best but there the most reliable....
shiestO! 3:13 PM - 20 April, 2007
alright.. i love my techs to death, but i would be extremely happy if they updated a little more like... a new model with significant NEW features in the last 500 years or whatever.
Dj KaGeN 3:34 PM - 20 April, 2007
Quote:
You guys do realize that Technics makes headphones & mixers also, right? I never hear those mentioned anywhere... if you're gonna use that point in the Stanton argument, shouldn't it go both ways?

Just sayin :D

thank you d:raf - this is the point I was trying to make, but you summed it up very nicely.
yuri 3:51 PM - 20 April, 2007
ALOT of people use technics headphones.. ive been using mine for about 5 years

This table isnt even really stantons.. its just rebadged.. either way i wouldnt invest money in one over a tech. The older my techs get the smoother they play!
sixxx 5:34 PM - 20 April, 2007
Quote:
tru, I like my Stantons. But as a poor kid starting out, they worked and they were cheap. I didn't start at the 'so called' top with Techs. I researched every step of the way and found Techs to be a standard, but lacking in features. I can change from deck to deck without issue, be it Gemini - Stanton - Tech - Vestax - I don't care. MOST of you cannot say the same. I'm not really standing up for Stanton - I saying Techs aren't the best and just arriving here saying that EVERYTHING else sucks is PURE IGNORANCE. I'd be thrilled to see a new Tech that can boast ALL the features of other decks, not likely.

Count me in. I can DJ on a fisher price turntable... but I rather use a 1200, of course.

This is the way I LOOK AT IT. My point of view, clearly.

Techs are great, durable, may lack some features... but those are features I don't need. It's a proven turntable. Period.

I also use technics headphones. The old ones. They're nice. Perfect size and they last me years! I support their headphones.

Fuck their mixer.. Remember the Technics 1200 mixer? It was a great mixer... but the crossfader (probably the most important part of a mixer) was crap. So, that's it.
DJ GaFFle 5:36 PM - 20 April, 2007
Quote:
alright.. i love my techs to death, but i would be extremely happy if they updated a little more like... a new model with significant NEW features in the last 500 years or whatever.

I'd be pi$$ed...I just bought some M5G's about a month ago.
dj disturbed 5:57 PM - 20 April, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I'd be pi$$ed...I just bought some M5G's about a month ago.

same here....

I have used alot of diff brands.. and ALWAYS have reverted back to the 1200's... ok so added torq on other decks, not that big of a deal.. the 1200 have plenty of torq to do what you need.... Pitch lock, serato has it so why do i need it on my decks... reverse, How often have i found myself wanting to use reverse live? never, what little reverse i might need to can do with a flick of the thumb.... Tone arm design, I like the straight arms, they are great, but I dont have any issues with the S arms on the 1200's when they are set up right.... I find the 1200's just feel better to me for mixing. I used to work at a pro audio store (not a chain like GC... but a REAL pro audio shop) so i get to test out alot of diff tables and have owned quite a few... and from my Exp.. stanton.. good concepts... quality need improvement, Numark.. good concepts... quality need improvement, Gemini.. well lets not even go there... 1200's (mk2 and m5g's) not alot of bells and whistles, but they have what they need to get the job done, week after week, year after year
swavek 11:21 PM - 20 April, 2007
I used to have 1210's, sold them when PDX's came out, sold these when STR8-150's came out, then some 2 yrs ago got rid of STR8 in favour of the S-shaped ST.150's - and these are here to stay (no more straight arms ever!) (well, except on my audiophile deck, but that's a different story altogether).
dj disturbed 11:44 PM - 20 April, 2007
Quote:
I used to have 1210's, sold them when PDX's came out, sold these when STR8-150's came out, then some 2 yrs ago got rid of STR8 in favour of the S-shaped ST.150's - and these are here to stay (no more straight arms ever!) (well, except on my audiophile deck, but that's a different story altogether).

why onyour audiophile deck...... straight arms have worse sound quality then S arms.. Str8 arms are supposed to hold the gruve better... but you sacrifice sound quality doing that
DJ Shep 3:35 AM - 21 April, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

why onyour audiophile deck...... straight arms have worse sound quality then S arms.. Str8 arms are supposed to hold the gruve better... but you sacrifice sound quality doing that

@swavek:

I'm curious too. What didn't you like about the STR8-150s?
DJ GaFFle 5:50 AM - 21 April, 2007
Quote:

You've got it backwards...

Straight=scratch'n
S-curve=quality sound
swavek 9:43 AM - 21 April, 2007
what I didn't like about my STR8-150? sound quality. straight arms sound good only in the middle 1/3rd of the record, and at least in the dj decks, where all the money goes into torque, ruggedness etc., nothing is likely to change it. they're great for turntablists/scratchers, but not really for music.

as for audiophile decks, well, perhaps I oversimplified a bit - my Rega (the poor man's audiophile deck :) (but also many other decks, and some truly expensive, too) does have a straight arm, but skewed at the end, so it is kind of S-shaped while being straight at the same time :), but more importantly - all the effort (money) there goes into sound, antiskating, wiring, tube material, bearings, whatnot.
wozza 11:54 AM - 21 April, 2007
First, thanks for the laugh, this topic has been funny all the way through.
Now my points
The first reply from Turntable Lab - you should of asked to speak to someone who knows about DJing and turntables. Torque that goes up to 78RPMS, what the .... The torque is not how fast the platter will go but the strengh the motor has. The stronger the torque the less likely the turntable is to go out from a set speed although other factors do come into it.
Second - Have a look at hte Stanton platter on the 120's, 150's and Technics (along with the American Audio, Citronic, Kool Sound, Reloop etc) They all have the rubber dampening under the platter.
Third - DJing always brings compromise in regards to sound quality all the way through. If you want sound quality you DO NOT use a direct drive deck but we all do as it is better for DJing. Second the cart and stylus you use for HiFi is different. It is weaker and not made for back cueing which means it can be optimised for sound quality far more then a DJ needle. The arm on DJ tables (even S-shaped) are pretty cheap and nasty compared to HiFi arms that are again set up for pure sound quality rather then having to hold a groove well. You would not put your HIFI table on a table with other electronics (mixer) and deff not right by it due to electrical interferiance. For HiFi you would want a dedicated rack if poss or at least a well isolated shelf made for a TT. Next is the mixer which although you do get some good sounding ones the phono pre amps are no where near as good as the dedicated HIFI ones and then all the EQ's and everything the signal passes through, oh and do not pull digital on me because then you have to convert from analogue to digital and back again and the A/D and D/A converters are not great. Also forget tables with digital and line level outputs, they just amplify the signal inside the table where all the other electronics are or have an A/D converter inside which is probably the worst place for a converter. Next is the cables most people use, most of the time it is the bell wire stuff, very few people upgrade to decent cables mainly becuase of the cost. Amplifiers are next. Most people do not use a amplifier that can give a propper HiFi table the quality it needs to shine, even less DJs use these good amps (same with speakers). Oh lets not forget that when we DJ we get our grubby mits all over the record. I do not care how clean you are you still get rubbish on the record destroying sound quality.
So after all that my question is how mush does a S shaped arm matter for sound quality in a DJ setup when there is all the other rubbish going on that makes a far bigger difference to sound quality. Also is sound quality such a major issue, yes it is an issue but i can not see it being as big due to the other factors.
After all this remember that the Stantons come in an S shaped version so that arguement is now well out of the window forgetting what i said above.
Now as in regards to Stanton (and Numark, Gemini, Vestax etc) they do have some great products and some rubbish, it is just the way things work. As for a comparison Nike make some trainers i like but not all of them but that does not mean i lable every one of the trainers as horrable and ugly, just most of them.
DJ GaFFle 1:29 PM - 21 April, 2007
Quote:
First, thanks for the laugh, this topic has been funny all the way through.
Now my points
The first reply from Turntable Lab - you should of asked to speak to someone who knows about DJing and turntables. Torque that goes up to 78RPMS, what the .... The torque is not how fast the platter will go but the strengh the motor has. The stronger the torque the less likely the turntable is to go out from a set speed although other factors do come into it.
Second - Have a look at hte Stanton platter on the 120's, 150's and Technics (along with the American Audio, Citronic, Kool Sound, Reloop etc) They all have the rubber dampening under the platter.
Third - DJing always brings compromise in regards to sound quality all the way through. If you want sound quality you DO NOT use a direct drive deck but we all do as it is better for DJing. Second the cart and stylus you use for HiFi is different. It is weaker and not made for back cueing which means it can be optimised for sound quality far more then a DJ needle. The arm on DJ tables (even S-shaped) are pretty cheap and nasty compared to HiFi arms that are again set up for pure sound quality rather then having to hold a groove well. You would not put your HIFI table on a table with other electronics (mixer) and deff not right by it due to electrical interferiance. For HiFi you would want a dedicated rack if poss or at least a well isolated shelf made for a TT. Next is the mixer which although you do get some good sounding ones the phono pre amps are no where near as good as the dedicated HIFI ones and then all the EQ's and everything the signal passes through, oh and do not pull digital on me because then you have to convert from analogue to digital and back again and the A/D and D/A converters are not great. Also forget tables with digital and line level outputs, they just amplify the signal inside the table where all the other electronics are or have an A/D converter inside which is probably the worst place for a converter. Next is the cables most people use, most of the time it is the bell wire stuff, very few people upgrade to decent cables mainly becuase of the cost. Amplifiers are next. Most people do not use a amplifier that can give a propper HiFi table the quality it needs to shine, even less DJs use these good amps (same with speakers). Oh lets not forget that when we DJ we get our grubby mits all over the record. I do not care how clean you are you still get rubbish on the record destroying sound quality.
So after all that my question is how mush does a S shaped arm matter for sound quality in a DJ setup when there is all the other rubbish going on that makes a far bigger difference to sound quality. Also is sound quality such a major issue, yes it is an issue but i can not see it being as big due to the other factors.
After all this remember that the Stantons come in an S shaped version so that arguement is now well out of the window forgetting what i said above.
Now as in regards to Stanton (and Numark, Gemini, Vestax etc) they do have some great products and some rubbish, it is just the way things work. As for a comparison Nike make some trainers i like but not all of them but that does not mean i lable every one of the trainers as horrable and ugly, just most of them.

Okay, you've broken it down and definitely sound like you know your hi-fi.

I will mention my godfather (who runs a whole list of high-end audiophile equipment) has this TT www.hifi-studio.de

That TT with a high-end needle DID NOT SKIP. When I first started DJ'ing in the early 90's, I'd scratch on that unit with the thick rubber slipmat on and it held the groove like a CHAMP!
DJ Shep 3:01 PM - 21 April, 2007
@wozza: Really great info! However, I'd really like to hear what YOU personally think about the ST.150 and STR8-150 (especially compared to the Technics 1210 M5G). Thanks.
Zion-Prayz 9:37 PM - 21 April, 2007
SL-DZ1200. There's a quality Technics product...

I can understand not wanting to buy Stanton gear because you've had a bad experience or know people that have but that doesn't mean the ST(R)/-150 is crap because it's from Stanton any more than the SL-DZ1200 is guaranteed to be an industry standard because it's from Technics. I've had my STR8-150's for 3 years and they're holding up well. Guess we'll see in a few years.
dj disturbed 9:45 PM - 21 April, 2007
i never said anything about any other Technics product... just there turntables are know to be the best... the rest of there stuff is crap IMHO
Dj KaGeN 2:08 AM - 23 April, 2007
I did the ping or bong test this weekend, there was a little higher pitched ring to the Stanton platter, but the tones were fairly similar. I was expecting near nothing from the Tech deck, according to DjMark but my Tech platter too rings a tone. The bottom of the platter did have a rubber bottom as wozza a stated. And the Stanton platter was much heavier. Case Closed.
DJMark 4:31 AM - 23 April, 2007
Like I said earlier, "The Technics platters aren't perfectly non-resonant". Anyway it looks like Stanton may have addressed the problem since I last looked at one of their turntables, which is obviously a good thing.
DJ White Lightning 4:40 AM - 23 April, 2007
Quote:
kagen-

i don't really compare "torque"...

i do compare reliability...and my techs have been going ten years strong. my girl bought some used ones from the 80s that work like a top too. with DJing, quality is of the utmost importance to me...

it's like buying a car...if you bought a chrysler car and it broke down a ton, and then you were in a market for a truck, wouldn't your past experience influence your decision?

so actually, my argument is a pretty strong one...everthing i've used from that company was a piece of shit, from the needles to the headphones to the mixers...

Totally agree - Stanton is wac.
CMOS 6:50 PM - 23 April, 2007
<-----rockin stanton str8-60's. Still my first setup. My girl knew i wanted to get into djing so she bought me the stanton skratch pak 2. Came with 2 stanton str8-60s, have never had an issue with them. The headphones and mixer they sent broke within a week though.

Till i can afford some better decks its stanton all the way.

As for support they did offer to send me a new crossfader but i upgraded the mixer anyways cuz it felt like a toy.
AKIEM 7:41 PM - 23 April, 2007
CMOS, here a thought.
You can get a perfect pair of used 1200s for around $600-$700. If you treat them right they will work 'for ever'. You can rent them out for $50-$100 a night. If you did it right, you can have them paid for from casually renting them out pretty quickly. And on top of that you will probably be able to sell them for about what you paid for them in the first place. (if you start smoking crack or whatever)

Reminds me of my first car, Nissan 200SX. I paid 3gs for it. Drove it around for three years. collected two insurance checks off it. and in the end sold it for 3gs.
CMOS 8:20 PM - 23 April, 2007
Even though i know the techs are tanks. I want that new tech smell.

Im prob gonna buy for myself for xmas.
Dj Cut'e'letten 12:18 AM - 18 March, 2013
Dear dj evil one you dont know anything. Stantons are best turntable out there, anyone saying different should stay home with their outdated and overpriced technichs. Cheers to Dj KaGeN for putting you in your place.
Dj R. Driver 11:18 PM - 20 March, 2013
just buy a mixtrack pro and scream FTW!!!!!!! lol
Mr. Goodkat 11:23 PM - 20 March, 2013
damn 07, interesting to see whos still on the board.
DJ Quartz 12:37 AM - 21 March, 2013
I'm so sick of all the Tech vs Stanton arguements...

Tech's are discontinued so, they are not produced anymore.

We all know what they are, etc.... They are what they are until they dry up.

I own 4 ST-150's and one STR8-150.

2 for the studio setup, 2 for the road setup and the STR8-150 for the ripping station.

I've had my road decks since '05 and they work just fine. I only had one problem through that duration which was spindle lock on one which was my fault and it was fixed easily.

I switched out my AA HTD-4.5's for Stanton's due to the build and feature set and never looked back.

I can't get 1200's in my location and when I could they were well overpriced, never looking back.
Discobee 4:57 AM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:
All in all it's all about preferance, it's an opinion so no one's right or wrong.

I like girls with medium tits, but I've run into a few dudes that are into small tits and a majority of dudes like big ol titties. Everyone likes different shit and some doods like shit also, but that's another thread.

Niros

I am in the majority of dudes that like big ol titties. Like DD's and greater. And Technics 1210M5G.
Dj Filiano™ 12:54 AM - 13 June, 2013
Quote:
I'm so sick of all the Tech vs Stanton arguements...

true..
Dj R. Driver 2:13 AM - 13 June, 2013
I like big ole butts. Bubble butts to be exactly.Techs are the staple, but Stanton 150 or the str8 is a great table at half the cost. Remembers, its not the age of the table (butt) but the mileage that counts. ;)
DJ CeeRock 6:16 AM - 6 August, 2015
Personally i don't care what turntable i use. i've used Technic sl1200's and i own a pair of Stanton str8-150's i haven't had a problem with either one. i mean really we are comparing apples to oranges here. i feel like it doesn't matter what set up you use its the quality of your mixing/scratching is what matters.
HighTopFade 7:03 AM - 6 August, 2015
Audio Technica LP1240 is the same thing, right?

Watchwww.youtube.com
pdidy 8:32 PM - 6 August, 2015
"I'm so sick of all the Tech vs Stanton arguements..." Says the Stanton owners.

"Argument ? What argument ? " says the technic owners. :)
jrecordsj 8:26 AM - 8 May, 2016
I am not sure why this arguement even exists considering Vestax made the best turntables. Seriously, who cares about 2nd and 3rd place?
Man Cave 2:06 AM - 1 September, 2016
I am 51 and i have been using Technic most of my life i all so have a pair of Stanton I have much better control with the stanton and to be truthful and not bias i love the Stanton more i keep my Technic for sentimental valueI play on my Stanton don't get me wrong i do play on meTechnic to but the Stanton have them beat
pdidy 2:21 AM - 1 September, 2016
Quote:
I am 51 and i have been using Technic most of my life i all so have a pair of Stanton I have much better control with the stanton and to be truthful and not bias i love the Stanton more i keep my Technic for sentimental valueI play on my Stanton don't get me wrong i do play on meTechnic to but the Stanton have them beat

who care, I just need to know if thats your RLA or GSA system ya sittin on ? :)
Man Cave 2:21 AM - 2 September, 2016
Yes it is and it is a Richard Long
pdidy 2:53 AM - 2 September, 2016
Quote:

Yes I know, I did a lil research and came across your very impressive Man Cave and love of music :) Im also very familiar with the history behind those speakers.
Man Cave 2:57 AM - 2 September, 2016
Thank you my brother and keep rocking
voodoo78 1:47 PM - 13 October, 2016
I have had my Stanton 150's (curved arm) for about 8 years and no problems what so ever. I can agree most Stanton products suck but this turntable is an exception. Tech's are great and all but till you use the 150 please refrain from having an opinion regarding if they suck or not. I've had countless friends of mine say they suck till they come over and use them and are like OK they're not that bad but any tech's fan will stand behind techs no matter what else is out there. Purely vinyl dj's are the biggest snobs about everything though
Taipanic 2:18 PM - 13 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Yes I know, I did a lil research and came across your very impressive Man Cave and love of music :) Im also very familiar with the history behind those speakers.

That's some next level stalking there, LOL.
Gear Whore!
pdidy 2:45 PM - 13 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Gear Whore!

Dude got original Richard Long Bertha's (a.k.a. the holy grail of subs) in his crib, to a gear whore like myself who knows the history about the these speakers it's a big deal. So yes, I shamelessly conducted a little investigative research......lol
Gio Alex 3:14 PM - 13 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Gear Whore!

Dude got original Richard Long Bertha's (a.k.a. the holy grail of subs) in his crib, to a gear whore like myself who knows the history about the these speakers it's a big deal. So yes, I shamelessly conducted a little investigative research......lol

LOLOLOL
Gio Alex 3:15 PM - 13 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Gear Whore!

Is this a Queens thing?
pdidy 3:42 PM - 13 October, 2016
No it's a New York City thing, queens had a big rep due to the disco twins.
Gio Alex 3:46 PM - 13 October, 2016
Quote:

I'm too young to know or partake in the big body/system era. I saw it as a kid, but didn't know all the details.
DJ Guayo 3:50 PM - 13 October, 2016
Quote:

Maybe we will see it in season two of The Get Down...
Taipanic 5:38 PM - 13 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Gear Whore!

Man Cavern, You'd better change those locks and install cameras stat! PDidy looking for an upgrade!!
I agree, they are the Grandaddy of true subs. No clubs down my way had them but I'm aware of the history. I did practically give away over the years both a Bozak & Urei, in addition to a few MP24s and several 1200s, which I still kick myself for. Probably the deciding factor for me in grabbing the MP2015.
pdidy 6:58 PM - 13 October, 2016
Quote:
Man Cavern, You'd better change those locks and install cameras stat! PDidy looking for an upgrade!!

moving bertha's is no simple tack, you need a team lol.....Watchwww.youtube.com
Gio Alex 7:04 PM - 13 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Jesus Christ!!! LOL
Detroitbootybass 7:34 PM - 13 October, 2016
Quote:

Great video!
E Brooks 10:23 PM - 5 December, 2017
2017 about to be 2018 and my 150s are still good. I gig with these. I love 1200s too. I have a station in my home set up with the 1200s but I love the Stantons more.
DJ Quartz 7:29 PM - 6 December, 2017
Still rocking a set in the studio and for my gigs.

The only other decks I would get are the PLX-1000's at this point.
dj_soo 12:25 AM - 7 December, 2017
Why the PLX's? It's just another Hanpin Super OEM table only with less features than just about any of the other Hanpin tables out there.
DJ Quartz 7:46 AM - 7 December, 2017
I like the build of the pioneer and the st-150's.
E Brooks 1:37 PM - 7 December, 2017
i'm thinking about adding the rp 8000s to my collection. I like everything about them
GusGomez 4:07 PM - 7 December, 2017
I love my VL12's these things are really dope
DJ STEVEBLITZ 5:30 PM - 8 February, 2018
I love my techs have a pair of them. Went and bougth 1 second hand stanton str8 150 just for kicks my mate told me not to cause I might get too heavy handed cause the amount of torque str8 150 has he was right. Buttttt these str8 150'ss were beasts. I would scratch so heavy handed and it would not skip even if my tonearm settings were abit off. Unlike the techs you would have to set them up properly and be really light handed to avoid skipping. So I was in love with these str8 150's even went out and bought 2 Brand Neww ones.
Then it was time for some beat juggling skills to add to my mixing that's when it went pair shaped for the str8 150. If you ever feel the platter on the str8 150 it has a slight movement more than the techs and your probably gonna say that's second hand one you bought IT'S FUCKED! Even the brand new ones I just bought had that platter movement. No matter how much weight you weigh that needle down (shure N1447) the tonearm seems to go up and too much weight causes the cartrige to touch the record. Use two slip mats then or thicker ones- Then it gets too sticky for quick rewind for beat juggling.
Well lucky we have serato relative mode so you can juggle with the str8 150 so that kind of fixes things.
But the techs are the best for beat juggling I believe. I've tried the Pioneer PLX 1000 and the platter doesn't move as much as the stantons so those are my next investment.

So in conclusion I have no issue with both tech and Str8 150 it's just what you prefer to use
For scratching/Scribbles/Mixing/Fast stop/start - Str8 150 hands down
For beat juggling/Scratching/Mixing/DMC if tonearm and needle are set properly - technics
DJ Quartz 6:57 PM - 8 February, 2018
That is weird, maybe I'm just light handed or something.
pdidy 10:36 PM - 24 August, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe we will see it in season two of The Get Down...

Watchwww.youtube.com